Trainer Jillian Michaels: "Beatings, beatings, beatings ... and more beatings"

• Please log in to reply

1025 replies to this topic

TWoP Mars

TWoP Mars

TWoP Moderator

Posted Sep 9, 2007 @ 1:38 AM

From NBCUMV.com:

Jillian Michaels makes a dramatic return to NBC’s hit weight-loss series “The Biggest Loser” this fall, reprising her role as trainer and life coach to the show’s contestants. As a motivator and role model, Jillian has a unique connection with her audience that stems from her own personal journey for wellness.

bartleby301

bartleby301

Fanatic

Posted Sep 9, 2007 @ 10:24 PM

Jillian has a unique connection with her audience that stems from her own personal journey for wellness.

Sounds like she's still got a ways to go. I find her abrasive and annoying. I don't think insults and yelling are motivators -- at least it wouldn't work with me. I was glad when she didn't come back last season, but then we got Kim of the freakishly mannish shoulders.

ketchuplover

ketchuplover

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 10, 2007 @ 6:41 PM

hmmmmmm perhaps their dna could be spliced together.

katisha66

katisha66

Stalker

Posted Sep 11, 2007 @ 6:53 AM

I like Jillian, as do most Aussie viewers who've seen her on our version of BL. Her brand of batshit crazy works for me. Also, if you believe what she has been quoted as saying, in our show she gets a more understanding edit and doesn't come across as quite such a loony. One of the contestants from the first edition posted in our BL thread for a while, and I get the impression he would walk over broken glass for Jillian if she asked him to. He says she's great and I'm inclined to believe him because he is a very decent guy and remains one of my favourite reality show contestants ever.

Edited by katisha66, Sep 11, 2007 @ 6:54 AM.

Worleybird

Worleybird

Posted Sep 11, 2007 @ 7:17 AM

I know the trainers have very little on-air interactions with the host. Actually it seems they interact more on the live finale than during the whole season, but I wish there would be a comment about how Jillian looks so much like Alison's Days Of Our Lives co-star Kristian Alfonso (Hope)

PittsburghDiva

PittsburghDiva

Fanatic

Posted Sep 11, 2007 @ 9:04 AM

I like Jillian too. For all of her yelling, she does seem to really care. Kim, on the other hand, seems to have disdain for overweight people.

Edited by PittsburghDiva, Sep 11, 2007 @ 9:23 AM.

Brightblue

Brightblue

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 11, 2007 @ 11:03 AM

I didn't like the way Kim treated the whole show last season, she seemed annoyed to be there, like she was better than everyone.
I thought Jillian at least made an effort to listen to the people on the show and try to get under the real reason they were eating.
I however didn't like her at all on the talk show (sorry I think it was Tyra's show) I caught about 20 minutes of the show and Jillian and a few other trainers were competing with real audience members and they were to show that their diet worked better and she kept complaining that her two girls wouldn't listen and they ate bacon and so on... but it didn't look like she made any effort to contact them or talk to them, just "do what I say in my book and lost weight" Now that was a snippet of the show, I was so irritated that I shut it off and that may not have been what happened at all, but that is how I perceived the show.
I imagine with three trainers they are going to do three groups?
I didn't peak.
This should be an interesting season.

TapDiva

TapDiva

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 11, 2007 @ 1:50 PM

but I wish there would be a comment about how Jillian looks so much like Alison's Days Of Our Lives co-star Kristian Alfonso (Hope)

She TOTALLY DOES. Wow. Maybe this explains my love of Jillian ... I'm a big Hope fan. Kristian and Jillian are both gorgeous.

I love Jillian. I actually boycotted the last season of BL when Kim replaced her. I eventually caught some of it on one of those addictive Bravo marathons, and while Kim didn't bug me as much as I anticipated, I really do prefer Jillian.

I have a feeling that due to the glory of editing, we see all the mean, scary Jillian moments and don't see as many of the nicer ones. I do remember several instances where she's had real heart-to-hearts with contestants, cried with them, given them a hug, etc. She's definitely *intense* and over-the-top, but I get the sense that she really cares about the contestants and is super invested in their progress -- hence all the yelling/encouraging.

GeekyFreak

GeekyFreak

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 11, 2007 @ 1:54 PM

I'm a big fan of Jillian. I catch her radio show when I can and sometimes listen to the archived shows when I have the time. By listening to the shows, I feel I see Jillian's "true" personality which is more nurturing and caring (and a little flighty!) than what they show on TV.

lululemon79

lululemon79

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 12, 2007 @ 7:19 AM

I hope I'm not beating a dead horse, but why was Jillian removed as a trainer for TBL? If I was on the show, I'd definitely want her training me! She would SCARE me into losing weight just by looking at me!

iamaluckydog

iamaluckydog

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 12, 2007 @ 7:26 AM

Did anyone catch what make and model of motorcycle Jillian was riding in the first show? I must say I was impressed that not only was she wearing the proper gear, but she also had on a full face helmet.

crazylea

crazylea

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 12, 2007 @ 8:44 AM

I'm completely new to this show and I just want to say, I loved it. I felt that Jillian was great. I'd rather be on her team. She would definately motivate me.

takinitoff

takinitoff

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 12, 2007 @ 8:50 AM

I hope I'm not beating a dead horse, but why was Jillian removed as a trainer for TBL?

I read an article some time back where Jilian said she left b/c she did not agree with the show's portayal of her. I believe she said something along the lines they made her look like a cartoon character. During the season 3...she was in Australia grooming her replacement for BL-Australia. If I find the article I'll post the link.

littlenicky2007

littlenicky2007

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 12, 2007 @ 9:15 AM

They took Jillians role straight out of the Aussie version. She is playing the "Commando". They are doing the same kind of exercises that the Commando had Chris and Kim doing.

Tigger 7

Tigger 7

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 12, 2007 @ 9:22 AM

I must say I was impressed that not only was she wearing the proper gear, but she also had on a full face helmet.

Definitely a safety plus, but it may have been for dramatic effect too. Who is this masked man/woman? Sure we at home knew, but the "castaways" didn't until she removed the helmet. I am also wondering if a stunt person was used in the highway shots with Jillian only really riding up in the last shot (where the motorcycle was going slow).

LawDeeDaw

LawDeeDaw

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 12, 2007 @ 11:01 AM

I have watched BL from the beginning. I hate Kim as a trainer. I like Bob, he seems more concerned with the contestants' overall health--exercise, diet, yoga, relationships.

The best thing about Jillian, imo, is that she used to be very overweight. Her training methods go over better because she been there.
{snip}

Edited by TWoP Mars, Sep 12, 2007 @ 7:08 PM.
Signed post

MDKNIGHT

MDKNIGHT

Fanatic

Posted Sep 12, 2007 @ 12:24 PM

I'm new to the show but just saw a marathon of the last season in which Jillian was not on. I saw the promos for this season and was intrigued. I gather from here that she is thought to be more aggressive than the other trainers. Somehow though if you don't like being portrayed as very aggressive I don't think you should stare into a camera and point blank say "Beatings beatings and more beatings." Why don't you just add "Shoot them and then interigate them!" in a bad German accent? Just a thought.

Glad to know she used to be fat. I had an ex roomate who was a trainer in a gym part time and I hated that she had never been more than a size 2 in all her life. Couldn't relate to her.

BTW something conflicted for me for the first ep. Do they repeat it anywhere?

Cookie Mobster

Cookie Mobster

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 12, 2007 @ 12:30 PM

BTW something conflicted for me for the first ep. Do they repeat it anywhere?

They replay the episodes on Bravo occasionally, although I'm not sure how soon or if they will for this new season.

The Royal We

The Royal We

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 12, 2007 @ 7:24 PM

I think Jillian's awesome. If I had had the guts to try out for the show, I would have hoped to be on Jillian's team. Being something of a harda$$ myself, we probably would have fought tooth and nail, but I don't think anyone would have gotten any more out of me than Jillian!

bmtwkoutwithme

bmtwkoutwithme

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 13, 2007 @ 1:34 PM

I'm so happy to see Jillian back! That's a real trainor! Tear them down to build them back up. I was in the Navy, and that's just the way bootcamp is. And it works. And the best part was at the end when during the upcoming week's previews when Kim said "Arghh, I can't believe she's back!" in that whiney voice! That made my day!

Cessilina

Cessilina

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 13, 2007 @ 4:41 PM

I LOVE Jillian! I would choose her for my trainer hands down over the other 2. Although Bob is great and seems to pull the best results, I have no discipline and need someone who would kick my butt around with no mercy. I'm hoping this season will inspire me to fix what laziness and a boatload of stress and grief have caused.

Question from CessMom: In the premiere, Jillian said something like, "No sorry, no can't, no room for weakness". Does anyone still have this episode DVR'ed and/or have the exact quote? She wants to put it on the fridge. Thanks!

FluteGirl

FluteGirl

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 13, 2007 @ 9:42 PM

I have to say that I have a total girl crush on Jillian and would love to have her as a trainer, even though she'd scare me to death. Her training methods remind me of what a cousin of mine said about Marine boot camp - they purposely break you down so that they can proceed to build you up again stronger. From watching Seasons 1 and 2, I get the impression that she does honestly care for her team and the initial "no mercy" period is to make the contestants realize that they are strong and capable.

And I've been walking around chanting, "Beatings, beatings, beatings, beatings. And more beatings." for the last two days.

Meggs

Meggs

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 14, 2007 @ 8:39 PM

I, too, have been walking around saying "Beatings, beatings, beatings . . . and more beatings."
Oh, and for CessMom - the quote was actually one of the twins repeating what Jillian told them. "There is no 'I'm sorry.' There is no 'I can't.' There is no 'I'm weak.' Whatever she says we need to do is what we need to do without any excuses." Hope she can make that fridge friendly!

tvgaldiane

tvgaldiane

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 15, 2007 @ 4:45 PM

I have to say that I have a total girl crush on Jillian..........

Well FluteGirl you're not the only one with the girl crush. I don't even like reality shows, but I'll watch BL. Ms. Jillian rocks.

Edited by tvgaldiane, Sep 15, 2007 @ 4:46 PM.

littlenicky2007

littlenicky2007

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 15, 2007 @ 5:09 PM

It seems the producers of the US version of TBL have taken a page out of the Aussie version as Jillian is acting as the "Commando" for the US version.

BittyMonkey

BittyMonkey

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 15, 2007 @ 7:48 PM

And I've been walking around chanting, "Beatings, beatings, beatings, beatings. And more beatings." for the last two days.

Yup. Me too. And the girl crush thing.

I have always responded best to trainers (I showed horses competitively as an adolescent) who are no-nonsense-take-a-page-out-of -the-Marine-playbook type people. I hurt my knee and I wanted to strangle the wussy PT guy. I knew I could handle much more work and pain than he was throwing at me.

As I posted in the Episode 1 thread -- Jillian now lives on my fridge and scowls at me if I'm opening it to get anything except protein.

littlenicky2007

littlenicky2007

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 15, 2007 @ 8:54 PM

It's going to be interesting to see how well her unorthodox training style (which is different from her previous "in the gym" method) works compared to the others. I think her team is more motivated than the others as they have had a taste of rejection and redemption which should drive them harder than the others.

Blackday

Blackday

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 15, 2007 @ 10:40 PM

Jillian would be my choice as a trainer. Mainly because if I had the stones to go on TV admitting I wanted to change me, I would want no mercy. If I'm willing to go that far, I don't need a friend. I want someone who would bring out every ounce of my stubborn.

phdmama06

phdmama06

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 16, 2007 @ 2:39 PM

As I posted in the Episode 1 thread -- Jillian now lives on my fridge and scowls at me if I'm opening it to get anything except protein.

I love that! Seeing Jillian's face and the implicit threat of 'beatings beatings beatings' if I pulled out any food I wasn't supposed to be eating would be motivating somehow. Of course, not fitting into any of my pre-pregnancy jeans should motivate me with or without beatings. *Sigh*

toomuchtv47

toomuchtv47

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 16, 2007 @ 9:37 PM

I got the quote as "There is no sorry, there is no I can't, there is no I'm weak..." I don't have the rest of it but I've already memorized that part and think it's awesome.

I'm so happy Jillian's back. I loved her in past seasons and didn't like Kim at all last year. Good to hear she was kicking ass over in Australia, but it's better that she's back now. I've missed her training techniques. Can't wait to see the reveal tomorrow.