Host Alison Sweeney: Don't Call Me Sami Brady

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

149 replies to this topic

DanaMB

DanaMB

Stalker

Posted Sep 22, 2007 @ 11:01 PM

I do, too. I don't see the lack of empathy others see. In fact, it seems to me it's the opposite. Then again, I'm a fan of hers from Days so I could be biased.

nilyank

nilyank

Fanatic

Posted Sep 24, 2007 @ 10:39 PM

Was she ever much bigger than a size 10? Hell, a size 10 is the final GOAL for many of
the female contestants. So I thought it was kind of ridiculously glib whenever she attempted
to empathize with the contestants. Losing and gaining the same 15 pounds for ten years isn't
quite the same thing as needing to drop a bunch.

When she was 15-16 years old, she was getting constant mail in which she was referred by
as Spami Brady. By normal standards, she was normal, but on that show and compared to 0
and 2 sized women she was being judged as too heavy in comparison.

Snim Xis

Snim Xis

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 25, 2007 @ 8:48 AM

When she was 15-16 years old, she was getting constant mail in which she was referred by as Spami Brady. By normal standards, she was normal, but on that show and compared to 0 and 2 sized women she was being judged as too heavy in comparison.

Yes, I GET IT that people thought she was fat for someone on TV. And I appreciate that TPTB picked a hostess who'd actually had some weight troubles over a celebrity who clearly never had. Given the pool they had to work from, they could have done a lot worse. There really isn't anybody in Hollywood who's had the kinds of weight trouble that these people do. (Or, at least, anybody in Hollywood who doesn't either a) embrace their extra weight and settle for being typecast as "jolly" or b) get gastric bypass and pretend they dieted...Star Jones, I'm looking at you.)

I just feel like this one instance of Allison being all emo about her weight struggles in front of these people who would kill to be her size at her heaviest...THAT was a little insensitive, and predisposed me to not liking her.

paiges

paiges

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 25, 2007 @ 10:06 AM

I just feel like this one instance of Allison being all emo about her weight struggles in front of these people who would kill to be her size at her heaviest...THAT was a little insensitive, and predisposed me to not liking her.

Whereas I thought NBC probably made her do that spot where she talked about her weight troubles. She might have been thinking the same thing you did.

Blistex

Blistex

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 25, 2007 @ 10:40 AM

I remember very well when Allison was struggling with her weight as a teenager on Days. She did seem to be a bit chunky compared to the other waifs on the show. I understand why people think needing to lose only 20 lbs. is trivial, I used to feel that way as well, but I learned first-hand working in the weight loss industry that it can feel just as overwhelming to face losing 20 lbs. as it does to lose much more. At first I thought people who were so upset about needing to lose such a small amount were drama queens or nuts, but as time went by I truly understood just how painful being overweight is in general. No, Allison doesn't have experience of carrying around 100-plus extra lbs., but I think she does empathize with the sense of helplessness and shame that many overweight people feel.

Allison has grownup to be a very beautiful woman who clearly has her weight under control and I think she is great as host. I got the feeling she was a bit nervous during the first two episodes, but I think once she gets comfortable in the role she will be even better.

Great choice NBC!

Marbree13

Marbree13

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 25, 2007 @ 4:06 PM

I love Ali so much and think she's doing a great job.Even though i miss Caroline alittle,Ali is great i just love the woman.

jasunshine

jasunshine

Video Archivist

• Interests:Politics and popular culture. Race and gender. PhD Candidate in final stages of dissertation torture, exploring how pop culture interacts with political attitudes.

Posted Sep 26, 2007 @ 12:15 PM

Here's something completely in Allison's favor in the debate over her sincerity. In his Ivillage post-boot interview, re the one thing Jerry had to say about what happened behind the scenes that people wouldn't know was this:

" I think the most touching thing I've seen in a long time was Alison Sweeney crying off camera when she heard sad stories from some of the people. I think she truly cared about us and I won't ever forget her kindness to me on the night I got voted off. She told the crew not to let me leave until we had our picture taken together. She had said two weeks before that she would take a picture of us together and she remembered and she did that because she is a sweet, sweet person."

Chaulk one up for sincerity.

Edited by jasunshine, Sep 26, 2007 @ 12:16 PM.

deedugga

deedugga

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 26, 2007 @ 3:07 PM

Alison Sweeny is a great host and 150% better than Carolyn in my opinion. Alison seems more relaxed, focused and genuinely interested in the contestants, plus her clothes/hair are so much nicer. I felt like Carolyn was going to the prom every week with those crazy up-dos. I do not understand the backlash in regard to Alison's weight struggles. To me struggling with 10 pounds or 300 hundred is still a struggle. I have no idea what it means to be heavy in Hollywood or the soap world, but from my understanding from my sister who is in the business, anything over a size 6 is considered heavy. I would imagine that she felt that insecurity as we all do whether you have to lose 300, 50 or 10 pounds, it's a struggle, plus she was in public and got raked over the coals because of the weight she had to lose and she lost it, so that should give her some credibility. I prefer Alison's personality so much more, she makes the show enjoyable.

TapDiva

TapDiva

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 26, 2007 @ 4:49 PM

I am also liking Alison a lot. Ironically, I really don't care for her on Days of our Lives. (Well, she's fine, but I am no big fan of Sami Brady.) But she seems really genuine and like she really cares about the contestants. I think she's also loosening up a lot, which is good to see.

Robert Loblaw

Robert Loblaw

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 28, 2007 @ 10:56 PM

Caroline wasn't perfect, but at least she came across as real. Allison just seems so fake and scripted. She can't deliver a line with any true feeling. I'm no soap watcher, so I don't know how she does in her day job, but she really bugs me on TBL.

TVFreak

TVFreak

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 29, 2007 @ 3:43 PM

I like her a lot -- are her weight struggles the same as the contestants, no - but to me, that doesn't make them invalid. I think I was 10 when she started on Days (and just starting to get hardcore into soaps myself) and I very vividly recall all the remarks that were made about her weight in the soap press. I remember that she and Heather Tom were both totally, totally raked over the coals for being fat by soap standards - and the viewing audience certainly wasn't immune. It's fucked up, but I thought she was fat, and so did the people who got me into Days (my best friend, who was overweight for our age, and her mom, who was definitely overweight). Didn't then even do that whole "Sami is bulemic" storyline so that Sami could get Austin (or Lucas -- that quadrangle really just got insane, and I stopped watching more than a decade ago) to find her attractive? They wrote the fact that a 16 year old actress was "fat" into part of her character -- and not in a positive way (she ended up not being bulemic to get Austin, but for herself -- because that makes it better). It was either Days or that HBO Lifestories: Families in Crisis starring Calista Flockhart as the girl that almost kills herself by becoming bulemic and anorexic that I even learned what an eating disorder was. Is that the same as struggling with lifelong obesity or having health risks associated with your size -- hell no, but it doesn't mean she doesn't know what it is like to be ridiculed (and very publicly ridiculed) for her weight.

I think NBC/TBL producers made her share her story, not for the contestants, but so the viewers at home, unfamiliar with DOOL would know why this 30 year "thin" chick was the host. As others have said, finding an appropriate host is really difficult - because you either have the people who want to embrace their largeness or you have people that understandably, for their livilhood, don't really want to focus on the fact that they used to be overweight - even if it is only overweight by Hollywood standards. I mean, I suppose they could get that Susan Powter woman (the one with the shaved head from the STOP THE INSANITY infomercials from th early '90s), but that woman is straight up crazy and not in a Jillian, endearing way - in a, this woman is fucking nuts way.

I like her better than Caroline Rhea, if only because it always pissed me off that Caroline kept getting bigger and bigger while in a sense, "encouraging/judging" others to lose weight. She might have been more realistic, but I always got a sense of judgment out of her that seemed unwarranted, seeing as she was the only person to gain weight during the whole process. Plus, she seems to be sincere - and the show is really about the trainers and the contestants anyway. The hostesses' bad dye job isn't really the point.

DanaMB

DanaMB

Stalker

Posted Sep 29, 2007 @ 10:57 PM

I never watched an entire season of TBL until this one, but I always got that feeling from CR, also. That she was judging the contestants, yet obviously she wasn't keeping her weight steady (or dropping weight) herself. I would think someone like that would actually have more empathy.

Which is why I disagree with those who say AS isn't sincere or showing sympathy. I see it quite often from her. (Yes, I'm a biased DOOL fan who has loved AS for years.)

Plus, it just kicks ass that she did TBL while still working at DOOL full-time, AND raising a baby, AND taking on a SECOND character (with an accent no less) at DOOL.

She may not be the greatest actress in the world, but I so admire her as a person.

Edited by DanaMB, Sep 29, 2007 @ 11:01 PM.

VAHokies

VAHokies

Fanatic

Posted Oct 2, 2007 @ 7:51 PM

I think she's terrible as host. I don't sense any enthusiasm at all. It's kind of funny how varied our opinions are about her!

MoreRidonkulous

MoreRidonkulous

Fanatic

Posted Oct 2, 2007 @ 9:31 PM

Alison Sweeny is a great host and 150% better than Carolyn in my opinion. Alison seems more relaxed, focused and genuinely interested in the contestants, plus her clothes/hair are so much nicer.

I'd say 300% better.

I think she's terrible as host. I don't sense any enthusiasm at all. It's kind of funny how varied our opinions are about her!

She doesn't come off as "rah rah". It's far more about sincerity with her. Personally, I think it shows.

KaKa

KaKa

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 2, 2007 @ 9:52 PM

The new hosts voice puts me to sleep. I can barely watch/listen to her, it's so annoying. She speaks just above a whisper constantly and it gets on my damn nerves. Soooooooooo monotone, argh!!! Bring back Caroline.

msrayrudd

msrayrudd

Fanatic

Posted Oct 2, 2007 @ 10:18 PM

Granted I never watched the show much with Caroline, but I think Alison is doing a pretty good job so far. I think she shows genuine interest in the contestants, so I like that. I also don't find her voice annoying.

Arizonaguy

Arizonaguy

Fanatic

Posted Oct 3, 2007 @ 1:16 PM

Alison is slowly growing on me. As others have said, I think her sincerity in caring about the contestants is starting to come through. Jerry, in his "after the show" blog said this about Alison:

7.) What is one thing that happened behind-the-scenes that no one would know from watching the show? I think the most touching thing I've seen in a long time was Alison Sweeney crying off camera when she heard sad stories from some of the people. I think she truly cared about us and I won't ever forget her kindness to me on the night I got voted off. She told the crew not to let me leave until we had our picture taken together. She had said two weeks before that she would take a picture of us together and she remembered and she did that because she is a sweet, sweet person. (from ...After BL...)

Edited by Arizonaguy, Oct 3, 2007 @ 1:17 PM.

KGLen

KGLen

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 3, 2007 @ 11:04 PM

I think she has the personality of a stick. Very fake, very annoying passionless voice. Why can't they get an actor/actress who has actually gone through losing a substantial amount of weight (Kirstie Alley would be a hoot)? I'm sure that they can pay more than the $2 they much be paying this dull chick. I like Caroline Rhea and even thought she sounded like she was reading off a cue card, but in retrospect she had more personality.

I love the show, but I can't even look at the screen when Allison (or whatever her name is) speaks. I'm embarrassed for her.

Torop

Torop

Fanatic

Posted Oct 4, 2007 @ 9:14 AM

This is the very smallest of nitpicks about Alison Sweeney, but that girl stands like a man. She has a very wide stance. It is kind of distracting to me because I can't figure out why her legs are so far apart.

DanaMB

DanaMB

Stalker

Posted Oct 4, 2007 @ 3:37 PM

Yeah, I think her posture/walking/sitting does tend to be manly at times. That would be the only criticism I have of her though.

catnamedzane

catnamedzane

Couch Potato

• Interests:Serious Business.

Posted Oct 13, 2007 @ 8:27 AM

Well, I have to say that while she may be a very kind person and have all the best intentions, girlfriend needs to demand a better hairstylist. At the last episode's weigh in, she looked like someone had sprayed her hair down with PAM then back combed it. It was not good.

DanaMB

DanaMB

Stalker

Posted Oct 17, 2007 @ 9:25 PM

Girlfriend needs to demand a better stylist, make-up artist and hair person. They aren't doing her any favors!!!

wdallan

wdallan

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 17, 2007 @ 10:34 PM

I'm finding her extremely boring and robotic. She knows her lines well (which can't be said about all reality hosts), but they just seem so rote. I can't imagine her making a spontaneous comment.

rower erin

rower erin

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 19, 2007 @ 11:17 AM

Alison Sweeney has completely shocked me as the host. She's warming up to it a bit, but I really like her. I think she is sincere, and it's like she improves a bit each week.

She may not have lost a tremendous amount of weight, but as a former Days watcher, she definitely has lost quite a bit. Terrible as it sounds, I do remember watching back in her heavier days and thinking, "She really needs to go on a diet." (Not like I don't have the same thoughts about me, so don't throw too many stones.) I think she's very genuine and open on the show about her struggles and the pressure she has to stay in shape. I like that she openly talks about it with the contestants, whereas the subject never came up with Caroline as the host.

Crooklyn Dodger

Crooklyn Dodger

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 19, 2007 @ 11:36 AM

I like that she openly talks about it with the contestants, whereas the subject never came up with Caroline as the host.

Point well taken; Caroline had three seasons and apparently more of a weight problem, yet managed to keep her personal issues seperate. I like Alison too. I think that she'll probably get better as she has time to fit into her role. If you look at the first season, everyone, including Bob and Jillian seemed robotic compared to who we know them as now.

MoreRidonkulous

MoreRidonkulous

Fanatic

Posted Oct 20, 2007 @ 12:30 PM

It's amazing how different perceptions of Alison are.

Honestly, I find myself shuddering at the memory of how Caroline did her hosting duties in comparison. The further away from it we get, the more loud, crass and blase the memory of Caroline's delivery seems.

In comparison, Alison seems almost to be whispering at points. I don't think there's an actual volume problem though--I think she's just soft spoken and used to the ideas that microphones will record her voice no matter what. Whereas Caroline was always belting things out like she had to be heard over noisy hecklers sitting in the back row of a comedy club.

VAHokies

VAHokies

Fanatic

Posted Oct 23, 2007 @ 9:34 PM

I wish she showed some personality. Caroline was not my favorite host, but Ms. Sweeney is making Julie Chen look personable.

ajax sf

ajax sf

Just Tuned In

Posted Oct 24, 2007 @ 12:30 AM

What the hell is going on with her hair? In last night's episode ("Weigh-In Shocker") she looked totally hot at the challenge, but at the weigh-in she looked like the alien from "Predator."

albertj

albertj

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 24, 2007 @ 1:19 AM

I'm fairly agnostic on the issue of the hosting on this show. However, I must say that the host in TBL is nearly superflous. The script that Alison reads could just as easily be handled by either one of the trainers or by a v.o.

Setlist

Setlist

Fanatic

• Interests:Indie rock music, skee ball, air hockey, and selling records.

Posted Oct 24, 2007 @ 8:50 AM

In last night's episode ("Weigh-In Shocker") she looked totally hot at the challenge, but at the weigh-in she looked like the alien from "Predator."

Something about her last night reminded me of Kirsten Dunst. Maybe the way her hair was done at the weigh in.