Torchwood: The Arse Spreads Across the Atlantic

• Please log in to reply

21851 replies to this topic

captanne

captanne

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 5:45 PM

I went to "What's Essential" and realized I haven't read it in a long time because I kept going back to it, reading all of it and then going back to it (forgetting that I'd already read it) and starting it all over again until I recognized it and then I would close it out. After a few months, I would start the cycle again.

At some point in there it was flocked (in September '10?) and I stopped even mistakenly going there. LOL

I just read 186 -- which is how I realized my history with that fanfic. I wanted to explain that I do remember the story, I have read the whole thing up to a point (several times) and then stopped when it was flocked.

SDcat2009

SDcat2009

Stalker

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 7:35 PM

I just read 186 -- which is how I realized my history with that fanfic. I wanted to explain that I do remember the story, I have read the whole thing up to a point (several times) and then stopped when it was flocked.

I'm so confused. I didn't think this was a completed fic? And I see only up to 182 for both FF.net and Teaspoon. Do you have another source? Because I would totally read the whole thing like today...

captanne

captanne

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 8:22 PM

You're quite right, it was 182. I got confused (this fanfic has a history of confusing me, LOL).

My old link takes me to 168 and I transposed the numbers.

Here's the link to the first version I ever read, written by "prothrombintime".

http://www.fanfictio...ible_to_the_Eye

There is another one long like this but flocked called "Everything That Rises Must Converge".

http://teachwritesla...org/179636.html

Jesus, I can't keep the opera straight. I swear to God I have these things confused.

I think ETRMC is the one that annoyed me with the flock and the inability to get to it, like, ever.

twisted sister

twisted sister

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 9:05 AM

Captanne

There is another one long like this but flocked called "Everything That Rises Must Converge".

http://teachwritesla...org/179636.html

Jesus, I can't keep the opera straight. I swear to God I have these things confused.

I think ETRMC is the one that annoyed me with the flock and the inability to get to it, like, ever.

I found out about this series from a Torchwood story finder entry. . SHe does have a dreamwidth account but you have read thrings by hitting the back button on entry, since the master list tags point back to the flocked lj entries. However if you friend her on lj and she friends your back, which took about a week, you can access her stories. This is the Empathic!Ianto one isn't it? It's hard to keep straight. I liked it because they actually force Gwen to do some heavy duty retraining, but sadly it look like she hasn't updated it in more than a year, if I recall.

captanne

captanne

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 9:19 AM

I think storyfinder and genrefinder is a Godsend.

I miss Torchwood House, too.

Torchwood3 has gone to shorter digests (they used to be every evening but now they are three times a week.)

Yes, I like to read all the fanfic! (Okay, almost all.)

I have to say I'm not a fan of the CoE part of "Invisible to the Eye" and it has nothing to do with the quality of the writing. Nor, really, does it have to do with the interpretation prothrombintime has to what was going on in Jack's head. I find her theories credible and extremely well presented. While I see Prit's (nickname, tm, me) assumptions as totally plausible, I get just as frustrated with the idea that Ianto can read Jack's mind as I do with the idea that he can't. (Not literally able to read minds. Figuratively able to read Jack's mind. Like, "I have a thought and I can tell my lover understands me with just a glance!" Um, no. No, he can't. You have to tell him. Assuming he can understand you may be a part of the tragedy but it's still a tragedy no matter which way you slice it.)

ETA: So, I just finished reading the parable of the Prodigal Son (and, man, did Ianto in "Cyberwoman" come to mind along with Owen for opening the Rift) and I think we could probably spend a few hours going over religious allegory with the character of Jack Harkness. My stars. His capacity for forgiveness amazes me and I don't think I ever have or ever will criticize him for it. It's one of his most endearing and angsty qualities.

Edited by captanne, Apr 10, 2012 @ 7:38 AM.

twisted sister

twisted sister

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 8:45 AM

Hmm, I am a bit far from the Catholic roots, but it just occurred to me, there also my be some inferences to be drawn from the story of Mary and Martha, with Gren being Mary and spending time hanging out with Jack, while Ianto as Martha actually gets work done.

captanne

captanne

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 9:41 AM

Well, aside from the obvious resurrection issue, Jack's capacity to forgive is phenomenal.

Gwen's vigil over Jack after he's fought Abaddon is certainly an allegory. How long was Jack unconscious? I don't remember.

twisted sister

twisted sister

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 9:42 AM

I think it waaas, wait for it, three days, and then he rose again.

captanne

captanne

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 9:49 AM

LOLOL I thought so, too, but I didn't want to go there and then be wrong. (And the cause of his resurrection "situation", of course, was his sacrifice so Man could live....I think that elevates the power of the TARDIS higher than it's ever been elevated before but that is just my opinion. heh)

twisted sister

twisted sister

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 12:15 PM

I would guess then when Messiah Jack ran to the Tarrdis that is the Feast of the Assumption.

SDcat2009

SDcat2009

Stalker

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 1:16 PM

I would guess then when Messiah Jack ran to the Tarrdis that is the Feast of the Assumption.

Well he certainly made the assumption that the Doctor would help him.......and not chastise his wrongness...

captanne

captanne

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 1:32 PM

Mwahahahahahaha.

SDcat2009

SDcat2009

Stalker

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 9:25 AM

Interesting news re Burn Gorman casting. He's going to be featured in "The Spies of Warsaw" starring David Tennant. It's currently shooting in Poland and will be airing on BBC America at some point in the not to distant future.

Also, holy crap, I never made the Martha/Mary correlation to Ianto/Gwen waiting for Jack/Jesus. Wow. I can totally see that now. Well done twistedsister. And captanne, you are dead right about Jack's capacity to forgive. I however think it's one of things that gets him hurt and well dead too. Forgiveness is his Achille's Heel, so to speak. Irony FTL :(.

Edited by SDcat2009, Apr 11, 2012 @ 9:40 AM.

captanne

captanne

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 1:00 PM

I might be many decades away from Sunday school but I'm thinking there is a muddle of the Easter story and the raising of Lazarus going on? Mary Magdalene and Martha are Lazarus' sisters. Martha shuffles about cleaning house and providing vittles while Mary hangs around Jesus' heels listening to his stories. But, in that case, it's Lazarus who is brought back from the dead. (And only after Martha gives Jesus an earful for being late.)

Was there a Martha present outside Joseph of Arimathea's tomb? I thought it was Mary, Mary Magdalene and Salome?

I get those ladies confused, I must admit.

Either way, there is an allegory to Jack, death/life/three days gone and Gwen sitting vigil whilst Ianto runs around getting the work done.

ETA: SDcat2009, Jack is so easily hurt. I think that's the saddest thing about him -- of all the people in the universe to "bless" with is a guy who loves Love and will be left behind by everyone he ever knows (or doesn't know.) He gets those puppy dog eyes and I just want to take him home and feed him chicken soup and tell him it'll be all right. The irony is his joie d'vivre that makes him so lovable is the same thing that makes him so tragic. He's a veritable "all-you-can-eat buffet of Life" and yet his enjoyment of it is curtailed by the sadness that everyone around him must succumb to Death. /is sad now.

Edited by captanne, Apr 11, 2012 @ 3:04 PM.

SDcat2009

SDcat2009

Stalker

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 7:10 AM

So GDL's band is playing a gig in London tomorrow. Even though his music is not exactly my cuppa, I would be there in a heartbeat if I were in London because Gareth posted this on Facebook:

Hello everyone, Gareth here. When and only when we sell 45 tickets for our gig tomorrow those 45 people will be entered into a draw. The prize will Ianto's green Jacket from Countrycide (The exact one I wore in the episode). I LOVE this jacket and it has a huge deal of sentimental value for me and I have on occasion said that I would never ever sell or auction it. So someone will be very lucky. This is how much I care about this gig! There are about 15 more tickets to be sold to reach the 45 mark. I know it can be done.

There will also be 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th prizes including signed limited edition prints and the odd Ianto accessory.

If I won the jacket, I wouldn't keep it but I'd probably ask for something else if he has it.

Question of the day: Would you keep the jacket?

Edited by SDcat2009, Apr 12, 2012 @ 7:34 AM.

twisted sister

twisted sister

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 8:49 AM

Poor guy trying to sell only 45 tickets,

SDcat2009

SDcat2009

Stalker

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 10:09 AM

Poor guy trying to sell only 45 tickets,

I know right? And I can't imagine they are THAT expensive.

WyKnott

WyKnott

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 11:31 AM

So GDL's band is playing a gig in London tomorrow. Even though his music is not exactly my cuppa, I would be there in a heartbeat if I were in London because Gareth posted this on Facebook:

Hello everyone, Gareth here. When and only when we sell 45 tickets for our gig tomorrow those 45 people will be entered into a draw. The prize will Ianto's green Jacket from Countrycide (The exact one I wore in the episode). I LOVE this jacket and it has a huge deal of sentimental value for me and I have on occasion said that I would never ever sell or auction it. So someone will be very lucky. This is how much I care about this gig! There are about 15 more tickets to be sold to reach the 45 mark. I know it can be done.

One of the places it was shared to had a post explaining that the 45 tickets is what Blue Gillespie is responsible for. This gig is apparently an album launch for another band and if people buy the tickets in advance, they know which band people are buying the tickets for. If they buy at the door, it's just a ticket for the event, no specific band mentioned. Of course, I can't find the particular post mentioning this.

So not as sad as it first sounds.

Edited by WyKnott, Apr 12, 2012 @ 11:31 AM.

SDcat2009

SDcat2009

Stalker

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 11:43 AM

So not as sad as it first sounds.

I didn't think it was especially sad sounding..I was just more interested in the Ianto green jacket being given away thing. And that it meant so much to him. I know that is his favorite episode of the show. So he must be passionate about the gig to offer to give it away...

Edited by SDcat2009, Apr 12, 2012 @ 11:48 AM.

Bruinsfan

Bruinsfan

Stalker

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 11:57 AM

I'd think the reaction you'd get from GDL upon giving it back would be more memorable than the thrill of keeping it.

WyKnott

WyKnott

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 12:01 PM

I'd think the reaction you'd get from GDL upon giving it back would be more memorable than the thrill of keeping it.

I agree, knowing how much it means to him, I'd feel bad even thinking of keeping it. Hopefully the fan who wins it will give it back to him.

SDcat2009

SDcat2009

Stalker

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 9:32 PM

Okay, so I read the synopsis of that TW audio book "Red Skies" and it sounds really interesting. Jack arrested for murder in a place called "The Devil's World"? Damn that needs to be an episode....

Edited by SDcat2009, Apr 12, 2012 @ 9:38 PM.

captanne

captanne

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 7:01 AM

So then two things happen with the new job.

1. I've started listening to Pandora (plug!) in the car on the way in and it does that Aerosmith song from that movie with Bruce Willis (Yay!), Ben Affleck (meh) and Liv Tyler (so pretty!) that's all ballad-y and WAY over the top -- "I wanna........whatever the lyricist wrote about not dying in your arms and seeing you again and moan-bemoan-moan" and OMG did I say Over The Top? It's like Barry Manilow on acid.

And then one of the lines is, "I've watched you while you sleep..." and I started to slow burn. If that's what RTD and crew blatantly ripped off to get the Angst Factor high, I'll feel so manipulated and annoyed. Because -- OTT stupid scene in movie has no comparison to the whole "Two Full Seasons of Character Building and One CoE Room o' Farty Alien" debacle.

2. Then, I was in an email correspondence with a coworker about some Title IV action involving higher education and abuse of power with veteran clients and, the et-bloody-cetera and I suddenly found myself in a Geek-Off. She mentioned a dragon action figure on her desk to which I was compelled to mention the "I [red heart] Ianto" button on my cork board. To which she replied, "IANTOOOOO *WAIL*" To which I replied, "No kidding." To which she replied, "STUPID STUPID CAPTAIN JACK!"

Ahem.

I am not alone.

Edited by captanne, Apr 13, 2012 @ 7:31 AM.

SDcat2009

SDcat2009

Stalker

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 7:33 AM

So I'm moving on to CoE. I don't now if anyone else is going to go with me. But I'm thinking about watching it all this weekend because it's going to rain. And after I do my taxes I'll be in the mood to be cheered up.

Edited by SDcat2009, Apr 13, 2012 @ 7:42 AM.

captanne

captanne

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 7:43 AM

SDcat2009, I probably won't join you. I've waffled the entire time and I don't think I am anywhere near in the mood for it. As the discussion progresses, though, I might catch up. (I still would like to listen to "Submission".)

ETA: On a lighter note, though, my BluRay of "Miracle Day" arrived in the mail two days ago. Jack is a beautiful sight on the cover, I must say. (I'm a firm believer of buying the latest-and-greatest when I love small, struggling shows. I reckon US Dollars and sales statistics still help.)

Edited by captanne, Apr 13, 2012 @ 7:46 AM.

swansong

swansong

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 7:47 AM

Heh! I rewatched it a couple of months ago. Not sure I have the energy to go through again. I'll be interested to read other people's thoughts though.

OT: Is there anyway to read all my old posts? It looks like this new board only gives access to some.

indeed

indeed

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 12:59 PM

Okay, so I read the synopsis of that TW audio book "Red Skies" and it sounds really interesting.

Maybe if it took place between COE and MD, I'd find it intriguing, but I was less than impressed with the summary as provided so far.
Spoiler

And after I do my taxes I'll be in the mood to be cheered up.

You're going to be cheered up by watching COE?? Are your taxes that bad? LOL

captanne

captanne

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 2:51 PM

indeed You're going to be cheered up by watching COE?? Are your taxes that bad? LOL

I thought the exact same thing....

ETA: Found a really great fanfic that was just recently written by JolinarJackson. All of her stuff is excellent but this one, in particular, is very good. It's extremely dark -- so for anyone whose taxes aren't quite bad enough -- Actually, there are two of them: http://jolinarjackso...com/233618.html and http://jolinarjackso...om/234160.html. (It's for some "dark fest" writing prompt and involves "aliens made them do it" and "non-con". It's incredibly dark. Be sure to read the author notes. These stories aren't for everyone. They are pretty damned bleak. I know of only one that's darker and it's off the charts.)

Edited by captanne, Apr 13, 2012 @ 3:03 PM.

SDcat2009

SDcat2009

Stalker

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 3:38 PM

indeed You're going to be cheered up by watching COE?? Are your taxes that bad? LOL

Yes..that's the joke.

Maybe if it took place between COE and MD, I'd find it intriguing, but I was less than impressed with the summary as provided so far.

I took it mean that it was between CoE and MD....

captanne: Did you read "The Perfect Storm"....cause yeah...that was grueling at best and I loved every sick word of it.

/wonders about self

Edited by SDcat2009, Apr 13, 2012 @ 3:54 PM.

indeed

indeed

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 4:04 PM

I know, I just felt the need to respond to it. There are some parts that can cheer you up...say if you stop COE at the end of Episode 2: Ianto saves the day and the team is all together again. (Sure, Jack's a little worse for wear, but he's nekkid! ;) For what that's worth.) So promising... *sigh*

I took it mean that it was between CoE and MD....

Except I believe the description (that I read on Amazon anyway) says it takes place after the events of MD.

Edited by indeed, Apr 13, 2012 @ 4:07 PM.