Torchwood: The Arse Spreads Across the Atlantic

• Please log in to reply

21851 replies to this topic

SDcat2009

SDcat2009

Stalker

Posted Mar 29, 2012 @ 12:01 PM

RE: Fanfic. I thought this was adorkable.

Torchwood through Myfanwy's eyes.

http://www.fanfictio...ding_To_Myfanwy

twisted sister

twisted sister

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 29, 2012 @ 7:08 PM

That was cute- So Great Heart and Flock Leaders are True Friends. Lol.

Luckylyn

Luckylyn

Fanatic

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 7:28 AM

I loved looking at those pictures. It's weird that JB and GDL are more affectionate inbetween takes than the characters Jack and Ianto. It makes me wonder what might have been if the show had been more invested in the pairing. Is it weird that when I saw the JB Glided Lilies pic I squeed because he appeared to have a pocket watch?

That fic was adorable. I have to look for a fic I read once where Myfanwy seemed to think the Torchwood team were her kids and was commenting on what they were doing.

Edited by Luckylyn, Mar 30, 2012 @ 7:52 AM.

indeed

indeed

Fanatic

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 8:44 AM

You're all very welcome! :)

After looking at all of those Ianto/GDL-without-suit-jacket on-location pics the day before, when I first clicked that link of JB pics, he reminded me of Ianto. *sigh* (BTW, thanks for the link, SDcat2009!)

(One of the great mysteries of COE for me is why Ianto goes out without his suit jacket. Maybe I'm forgetting something, but since WHEN did he ever do that?!? Talk about OOC! ;) )

About Gilded Lilys, do we know if it's just the pilot that's been commissioned or a 13 episode order with pilot? I've heard the latter, but haven't come across a source for anything but the pilot itself.

Edited by indeed, Mar 30, 2012 @ 8:52 AM.

swansong

swansong

Fanatic

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 9:07 AM

I loved looking at those pictures. It's weird that JB and GDL are more affectionate inbetween takes than the characters Jack and Ianto. It makes me wonder what might have been if the show had been more invested in the pairing.

I was thinking the same thing and it made me a bit sad. Those photos are the most enjoyment I got out of COE.

(Wow! I'm not sure I'll get used to these changes.)

captanne

captanne

Fanatic

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 11:28 AM

I really, really miss Ianto.

For the life of me, I cannot explain why or how that kid got under my skin so deeply.

ETA: Indeed, someone somewhere sometime did a study of how every time Ianto went out without his suitcoat, things went to Hell in a handbasket. It was eerily accurate.

Edited by captanne, Mar 30, 2012 @ 11:30 AM.

SDcat2009

SDcat2009

Stalker

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 11:45 AM

ETA: Indeed, someone somewhere sometime did a study of how every time Ianto went out without his suitcoat, things went to Hell in a handbasket. It was eerily accurate.

Are you telling me that his death was foreshadowed like in Season 1!?? NOOOOOOO. And all this time I thought it was just the Scratch of Doom.

Well maybe the suitcoat was a foreshadown....but gawddamn if he didn't look hella hot without it. I'm sorry but I wasn't really looking quite at his waistcoat whilst he was urgently walking with Jack.....if you know what I mean.

twisted sister

twisted sister

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 11:51 AM

Old soul, beautifl face and form, competant, snarky, empathic, welsh vowels, touch of dark, and looks good in a suit. Luckily he lives on in fanfic. But it sounds he better keep the jacket on.

indeed

indeed

Fanatic

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 11:57 AM

Really?? How did I miss that?! Hmm...rewatch! ;) (Hey, there are worse ways of delaying the watching of COE and beyond... ;) )

Edited by indeed, Mar 30, 2012 @ 11:57 AM.

SDcat2009

SDcat2009

Stalker

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 12:39 PM

Old soul, beautifl face and form, competant, snarky, empathic, welsh vowels, touch of dark, and looks good in a suit. Luckily he lives on in fanfic. But it sounds he better keep the jacket on.

I must be a terrible person, but I don't like Ianto's nose :(. Like at all. But I like the whole package together

WyKnott

WyKnott

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 12:48 PM

About Gilded Lilys, do we know if it's just the pilot that's been commissioned or a 13 episode order with pilot? I've heard the latter, but haven't come across a source for anything but the pilot itself.

It's just a pilot, hopefully it will be picked up. Looks really expensive to produce, though, what with the period costumes and locations. There's an earlier picture with a lot extras resting on a staircase in the Wang Theatre, word had it that there were 200 extras for the ballroom scene. Hope that's not a minus to it getting picked up. More photos can be found on this fanpage on Facebook.

Edited by WyKnott, Mar 30, 2012 @ 12:50 PM.

twisted sister

twisted sister

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 12:55 PM

I must be a terrible person, but I don't like Ianto's nose :(. Like at all. But I like the whole package together

LOL, not to worry beatuty doesn't mean perfection. One of the interesting thing about GDL/Ianot is that he does look different depending on the camera angle and season. I don't know whether he filled out during the season, but he is reedy in the first season, but when he is going up the lift in COE, he looked stocky.

Edited by twisted sister, Mar 30, 2012 @ 12:59 PM.

SDcat2009

SDcat2009

Stalker

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 1:05 PM

n the Wang Theatre,

I giggled that John Barrowman was performing/shooting in the Wang Theatre. Yes I am apparently still 12 years old.

I have mixed feelings about whether I want this pilot to be picked up. Selfishly I want Jack back and if he's busy with this how can that happen in 2013? But then if it doesn't get picked up and then TW is never seen again I'm bereft of Barrowman.

BARROWMAN!!!!!!! /shaking fist.

I read the synopsis of his character and he sounds like he's going to be a bit of a villainous conniving bad boy. The only other hero besides Jack I'd want to see him play is Captain America. I mean doesn't he have the perfect look for Captain America?

Edited by SDcat2009, Mar 30, 2012 @ 1:09 PM.

twisted sister

twisted sister

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 1:09 PM

ANd I missed that? What's wrong with me/? My mind wasn't in the gutter for once?

SDcat2009

SDcat2009

Stalker

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 1:31 PM

One of the interesting thing about GDL/Ianot is that he does look different depending on the camera angle and season.

I found a video of him at one of the Cons and he's talking about pranks between him and JB. He's all scruffy and sexy, and while he's telling the story he has the mesmerizing mix of "innocent" and "dirty filthy young man" . Slightly NSFW

Enjoy

Edited by SDcat2009, Mar 30, 2012 @ 1:36 PM.

captanne

captanne

Fanatic

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 1:40 PM

I am very fond of Ianto's nose.

Yes, he did fill out during the second season and into CoE. So did Barrowman.

There are terrible angles for GDL's face and I think he's a horrible-looking crier. (See lots of "Cyberwoman" and ALL of the death scene in CoE, those bastards.)

On the flip side, I do love that nose. Cheekbones to die for. Reedy Ianto in series one just looks so vulnerable. I really like that GDL started to fill out as Ianto got more comfortable in his own skin (fiction reflecting reality.)

By CoE he was too stocky for my personal tastes and it really didn't suit Ianto, either. That character needs to have an edge to him -- a certain fuel-burning desperation borne of being a Canary Wharf Survivor at such a young age, the driving force behind a possible Cyberman Attack on mankind all in the name of Great Love and more cannibals and human thuggery than any young man should ever have to face in a single lifetime.

Fat and sedentary didn't suit him at all. At least not to my mind.

twisted sister

twisted sister

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 1:41 PM

Can't wait to go home and check it out!!! Thanks.

SDcat2009

SDcat2009

Stalker

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 1:47 PM

By CoE he was too stocky for my personal tastes and it really didn't suit Ianto, either.

I thought he looked great in CoE. Yeah that death scene wasn't the best angle but hey he was dying...what are you gonna do?

And those trousers were more than a little flattering...... especially during that urgent walking scene....oh my.

I thing GDL is great looking in general.

captanne

captanne

Fanatic

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 2:21 PM

There is just something about that guy (Ianto, mainly, but GDL, too) that flips my switch. But, then, I'm a sap for "boy next door" with a solid, scrappy pub-brawler look to him. Plus, I'm all about the Celts. There were a few moments when even Ianto was too "prettified". I like that ever-so-slight fish out of water look he got -- all gussied up in Saville Row with a council housing soul.

(It's Friday. Must be. I'm ready for the weekend, apparently.)

indeed

indeed

Fanatic

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 2:44 PM

GDL did seem to put more weight on while season 2 was going so that by the time of Stolen Earth/Journey's End, Ianto may not have looked his greatest (the gun firing and shaking of the Hub while being towed was not all that flattering IMO). However, he said he trimmed up a lot (and hit the gym--which I believe he hates IIRC) by the time they were filming COE. From what I've read, GDL just has a body that looks bigger on screen than in real life (people have commented many times on how THIN he was in real life).

Awww...his nose is adorable. ;)

Edited by indeed, Mar 30, 2012 @ 2:45 PM.

captanne

captanne

Fanatic

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 7:41 PM

Speaking of GDL's body -- and we were, weren't we? Just checking.

One thing that drives me nuts is when people infantilize Ianto. By the time we actually meet him, he's a grown (although young) man who has been through Hell and back again -- some of which we know first hand and some of which we have to piece together for ourselves* but all of which is canon.

Not only is he a grown man, literally, he's been through more violence and tragedy at his age than anyone else around him in that Hub except Jack. (And, possibly an argument could be made for Tosh but I'd take some serious convincing.) Including his own Up Close and Personal with both the Daleks and the Cybermen.

Then, add to it all, he's as tall as Jack. Same height. Eye-to-eye. Lip-to-lip, so to speak. And just as muscular if not a bit more slender. (Iow, he's not built like Owen but tall. He's a solid, Welsh Celt.)

There is absolutely nothing childlike about him.**

*God I just love it when shows treat the audience like we're smart. I really love it.
**Okay, he gets that wide-eyed "We're all gonna die!" look and he oozes, "Somebody think of something" vulnerability but it's not like a child. And, no, I never liked the bib over the tie -- I thought that was much too twee for Ianto. (On the flip side, I adored his "I don't care" about Jack's sexual persuasion when they were gossiping over lunch.)

ETA: And by "not childlike" I mean to say that Ianto can perfectly well take care of himself. And then, when he can't, he kind of loses it. But, man-o-man, if there ever was a character who has the right to draw the line in the sand and say, "No more bullshit. Straighten up and fly right or get the fuck out of my life" it's Ianto Jones.

Edited by captanne, Mar 31, 2012 @ 1:08 PM.

captanne

captanne

Fanatic

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 7:42 PM

double post

Edited by captanne, Mar 30, 2012 @ 7:46 PM.

twisted sister

twisted sister

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 7:56 PM

I found a video of him at one of the Cons and he's talking about pranks between him and JB. He's all scruffy and sexy, and while he's telling the story he has the mesmerizing mix of "innocent" and "dirty filthy young man" . Slightly NSFW

Such adorable mischief. WHo would want to play with him. As Captanne might put it, a perfect minx.

SDcat2009

SDcat2009

Stalker

Posted Mar 31, 2012 @ 1:27 PM

So because I'm the noobiest noob to Torchwood here, I'm still discovering behind the scenes videos of Torchwood, I found this from JB's Captain's Vlog from "End of Days". Now, I noticed in the small screen of the take, there is a longer kiss between Jack and Ianto..Jack kisses him once and then goes back for a more passionate kiss and Ianto is responding more clearly. Why the HELL didn't they leave that kiss in there? If they had, there would have been NO doubt as to Jack's passion for Ianto. You bastards!!!! BAH!

Enjoy

Edited by SDcat2009, Mar 31, 2012 @ 1:28 PM.

captanne

captanne

Fanatic

Posted Mar 31, 2012 @ 2:01 PM

Gareth David-Lloyd, yeah, yeah, yeah.
John Barrowman, yeah, yeah, yeah.

Okay.

Fine.

Bring on Abaddon. I adore that CGI. I just adore it.

ETA: Oh, okay, I admit that Ianto is cute. And GDL is adorable when he smiles and his cheekbones assume command of his entire face.

Edited by captanne, Mar 31, 2012 @ 2:04 PM.

SDcat2009

SDcat2009

Stalker

Posted Mar 31, 2012 @ 2:09 PM

Gareth David-Lloyd, yeah, yeah, yeah.
John Barrowman, yeah, yeah, yeah.

Well I was just referring to the kiss they edited out. I thought I linked it just to that part. If I didn't sorry about that. I didn't mean to make you sit through the whole thing.

Bring on Abaddon. I adore that CGI. I just adore it.

Abaddon itself was okay. But I think they dorked it up by having it hulk over the city and us with the viewpoint as though we were riding on it like a dragon or something.

captanne

captanne

Fanatic

Posted Mar 31, 2012 @ 2:10 PM

SDcat2009

Well I was just referring to the kiss they edited out. I thought I linked it just to that part. If I didn't sorry about that. I didn't mean to make you sit through the whole thing.

Hon, I was kidding! (Ah, the drawbacks of pixels and text!) I'm usually more "text" savvy than that. My apologies right back atcha. LOL

Edited by captanne, Mar 31, 2012 @ 2:11 PM.

SDcat2009

SDcat2009

Stalker

Posted Mar 31, 2012 @ 2:13 PM

Hon, I was kidding! (Ah, the drawbacks of pixels and text!)

LOL..I thought you of all people would have especially appreciated it. Could you help me out of the chasm? Thanks,

I thought maybe I didn't do the linking right because I mess that up sometimes.

captanne

captanne

Fanatic

Posted Mar 31, 2012 @ 2:27 PM

SDcat2009

Could you help me out of the chasm?

I got your back. :-)

ETA: I am now leaving the Torchwood Dock here at TWoP and skiving off to get some herbs (pronounced "huh-erbs" because there is a fucking aytch in it*) for the windowsills and, possibly, some geraniums in honour of my Sainted Mother who happened to love geraniums and filled my childhood with that lovely, bitter smell. Upon my return, I intend to do my duty and march us one step closer to CoE -- which I still have yet to commit to, mind you -- and get "The Devil and Miss Carew" listened to. It's the least I can do because, really, we should get to "Submission" while James Cameron's historic descent is fresh in our collective memory.

*Credit to "Dress to Kill", Eddie Izzard, HBO special

Edited by captanne, Mar 31, 2012 @ 2:36 PM.

twisted sister

twisted sister

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 31, 2012 @ 4:08 PM

Love the video, liked some of the fun with the WWII Capt. Jack

ETA: I am now leaving the Torchwood Dock here at TWoP and skiving off to get some herbs (pronounced "huh-erbs" because there is a fucking aytch in it*) for the windowsills and, possibly, some geraniums in honour of my Sainted Mother who happened to love geraniums and filled my childhood with that lovely, bitter smell.

Johnson's? I know it's in Virignia but have you every been to Green Springs Gardens in Alexandria?