Torchwood: The Arse Spreads Across the Atlantic

• Please log in to reply

21851 replies to this topic

mepells

mepells

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 11, 2007 @ 7:53 AM

I think it was Dorothy Parker who got tired of pretentious Americans, just back from a holiday in Europe, who pronounced it "shedyouall". She supposedly started saying "Oh skit" in response. I told that to my mother, who never liked swearing, and she used it for the rest of her life!

kwynne38

kwynne38

Fanatic

Posted Sep 11, 2007 @ 8:03 AM

Silent c instead of Silent h usually for the British Schedule I hadn't realised it was spoken any other way, althougth i',m not sure i've ever heard an american say Schedule I thought aluminum was the rock ore that Aluminium came from. Anyway its quite nice to see US people confused by what the English (Sometimes Welsh) say, usually it the English confused by what the Americans are saying.

HeadCase

HeadCase

Fanatic

Posted Sep 11, 2007 @ 8:10 AM

pretentious Americans, just back from a holiday in Europe, who pronounced it "shedyouall"

I do think that there is a vast difference between deliberately picking up an alternate pronunciation while on vacation and unconsciously picking up an alternate pronunciation after living in a different country for years (or decades, in Jack's case). That's why I have no problem with Jack doing it. I doubt that the character is any more aware of it than the actor who portrays him is.

GingerBeerTrick

GingerBeerTrick

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 11, 2007 @ 10:00 AM

I doubt that the character is any more aware of it than the actor who portrays him is.

Or it may be a conscious choice -- JB choosing to mix in local slang b/c his character's been in the UK for so long. Any way you slice it, it's not particularly jarring for me. I agree with Headcase -- sometimes you just pick up new speech patterns/pronunciation/slang when you've been in a new place. For example, I, staunch NYer, befriended several New Englanders while at college and started saying "wicked" all the time, just b/c I spent 4 years hearing it all the time. When I moved back to NYC, I got strange looks from high school friends, who wrote it off as me being all buddy-buddy with punks from "Bahstahn."

Deianeira

Deianeira

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 11, 2007 @ 10:55 AM

I wondered if I wanted to watch the show, and I'm pleased that I did. There were a couple of places where I thought it dragged: the scene where Gwen first sees the Weevil went on for far too long, and I was also getting impatient watching the guy in the pizza place type every conceivable variant of Jack's name into his computer.

I agree with the discussion on the cuts to commercials (Who on Sci-Fi: really bad, Torchwood on BBC-A: better), but I'm confused. Does the BBC in the UK not have commercials at all?

ETA: A round of applause for Rose "Bad Wolf" Tyler for turning Jack into a guy version of Claire Bennet. I'd suggest he'd get his own Mr. Muggles, but he might end up having sex with it.

I think the Pterodactyl fills the role of Mr. Muggles on this show, which is not to say it's necessarily safe from Jack's advances.

At least the pterodactyl can fly away!

I think BBC-A might have actually done the show a favor with their editing by cutting out some of the more excessive unnecessary "Google Earth" eye-view aerial pans of Cardiff and shots of Cap'n Jack standing on the roof edges of tall buildings for no discernible reason (other than to show that someone on the show is a big fan of Wings Of Desire)

Unless someone has a strange desire to scare the hell out of people who are afraid of heights, like me.

And although I was of course aware of the fact, it's still a bit of a culture shock to actually see that in the UK ordinary beat cops don't carry guns and so when confronted with a dangerous situation such as coming face to face with a monster or having someone pull a gun on them, they apparently have no recourse but to stand there and cry.

It really is shocking. And as for the crying, I was hoping someone would come along and say, "There's no crying in law enforcement!"

The parts that really worked well were any with Captain Jack since he is played with a kind of charismatic cheekiness that works.

And how, especially when he winked at Gwen!

Anyway its quite nice to see US people confused by what the English (Sometimes Welsh) say

I resignedly accept the fact that while watching DW or TW, there is going to be the occasional bit of dialogue that I won't be able to make out no matter how many times I rewind and replay.

Nuallain

Nuallain

Fanatic

Posted Sep 11, 2007 @ 11:21 AM

I agree with the discussion on the cuts to commercials (Who on Sci-Fi: really bad, Torchwood on BBC-A: better), but I'm confused. Does the BBC in the UK not have commercials at all?

None at all. Unless you count the couple of trails for shows coming up later, which are used as bumpers between shows.

Radagast

Radagast

Fanatic

Posted Sep 11, 2007 @ 11:34 AM

If you're wondering how it's all paid for without the ads, then look into the interesting world of the Licence fee - essentially, owning a TV means paying an annual tax, which funds the BBC.

tuaththua

tuaththua

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 11, 2007 @ 12:17 PM

Incidentally, for Barrowman fans check out youtube for some of his interviews (particularly the one with Sir Andrew Lloyd-Weber on Jonathan Ross), If the up-tight faction don't like the bi-sexuality of Jack Harkness, they are going to 'love' the unrestrained Barrowman (who sometimes forgets he's on a chat show and not chatting someone up in the bar).

To me, the one flaw with Torchwood is that the team are a bit(a lot) dysfunctional, or downright unpleasant individuals (Owen). Having seen the whole 1st series run, I'm spoiled, and hoping that the resolution of certain events, Jack's return and the arrival of Dr Martha Jones in the team will fix this for series 2.

Edited by TWoP Bayliss, Sep 20, 2007 @ 12:51 PM.

Demian

Demian

Network Executive

Posted Sep 11, 2007 @ 2:34 PM

Thanks to this thread, while I was standing in the rain last night trying to hail a cab, I kept thinking, "My, but there's a lovely taste of eeeeeeeeee-strogen in the air this evening."

Flaregun

Flaregun

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 11, 2007 @ 2:47 PM

Deianeira
I wondered if I wanted to watch the show, and I'm pleased that I did. There were a couple of places where I thought it dragged: the scene where Gwen first sees the Weevil went on for far too long, and I was also getting impatient watching the guy in the pizza place type every conceivable variant of Jack's name into his computer.

It seemed to me the long, slow walk down the corridor to the Weevil was supposed to be some kind of suspenseful slow reveal, where we see a guy way down the end of the corridor, and as we come closer we start to think "wait a minute, there's something just a little "off" about this guy", until we finally get close enough to be shocked by the astounding unexpected revelation that "My God, it's *not human!!!* ...Which I suppose could have been effective for a show that wasn't heavily advertised as a Sci-Fi Thriller, so that by this point in the story you're not already wondering why no monsters have shown up yet.

I'm also wondering if that shot wasn't meant to show off the resolution of High Def, as well: I believe in the UK Torchwood was a big showcase for the BBC's brand new High Definition channel, one of the first major nighttime drama-type shows to be shown on that channel (as well as on regular low-def BBC 3), so the completely unexpected twist that it was a monster was revealed to those lucky High Def viewers long before the plebes with regular TVs were able to figure it out, kind of like an inverted, even more lame version of how those old cheesy 3-D movies always had gratuitous shots of people pointing spears & whatnot right at the camera.

As for for Cap'n Jack/Barrowman's accent, I think the only reason many of us found "eeestrogen" so jarring was that the word was given so much dramatic emphisis in the script. If it was just casually slipped into the middle of a sentence I suspect we'd have hardly noticed it, but it's almost the first thing we hear him say. We hear him talk just enough before that to recognize the American accent and so expect him to be talking "normally" (an island of familiarity in a sea of Welsh accents where vowel sounds are stretched into bizarre funhouse mirror shapes), and then he gets up on a pedestal and dramatically proclaims: "Eeeeestrogen!" It's almost like it was done that way deliberately to assure UK viewers "Don't worry, I might talk weird most of the time but I'm really one of you".

Edited by Flaregun, Sep 11, 2007 @ 2:49 PM.

cyberducks

cyberducks

Fanatic

Posted Sep 11, 2007 @ 6:48 PM

Premiere Delivers Biggest Audience For Drama in BBC America History

BBC America said the premiere of Torchwood on Saturday night delivered the biggest audience of any drama premiere in the 58-million-subscriber network’s history.

The grownup science-fiction series, a spinoff of Russell T. Davies’s recent edition of Doctor Who, attracted 297,000 viewers at 9 p.m. ET and 6 p.m. PT in the target demographic of persons ages 25 to 54, network officials said.

That’s slightly ahead of how action drama Robin Hood performed when it premiered last year, at about the same rating (0.42). Viewer numbers were higher for Torchwood than Robin Hood because BBCA is in more homes now.

The relatively heavily promoted Torchwood premiere delivered 496,000 total viewers, network officials said.

A second airing, at midnight ET and 9 p.m. PT Saturday, delivered a 0.19 rating (139,000 viewers) in the target demographic, or 241,000 viewers overall, BBCA said.

Figures cited are live viewing and same-day viewing, which adds in a day’s worth of digitally recorded watching.

Source: http://www.multichan...e/CA6477673.htm

Edited by cyberducks, Sep 11, 2007 @ 6:54 PM.

LilaFowler

LilaFowler

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 11, 2007 @ 11:06 PM

He was a star of London musicals, came thisclose to playing Jack on "Will and Grace" but was considered "too butch,"

Actually, it was Will and was told "too straight". John as that Jack? No. Just... no.

Sumik

Sumik

Fanatic

Posted Sep 12, 2007 @ 12:07 AM

I checked BBCA On Demand and the first episode of Torchwood is listed as being 52 minutes long - so that seems like it should be the original cut.

charmgirl

charmgirl

Fanatic

Posted Sep 12, 2007 @ 9:02 AM

The NY Times reviewer thinks Capt. Jack looks like Hugh Grant???? How? Why? What? When I first saw him on DW I thought he resembled Tom Cruise. IMO that reviewer is way off. I really enjoyed the show and I can't wait for the next episode.

Termie

Termie

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 12, 2007 @ 2:13 PM

The lovechild of Tom Cruise and Scott Wolf, I think!

I'm thrilled the BBCA is happy with the premiere numbers. I only just got BBCA because I went digital. Regular-cable cable still doesn't offer it in most markets.

FYI: the first ep will repeat at least once this coming Saturday before the new eps of DW and TW.

The whole Weevil-in-the-hospital-hallway thing was bizarre to me. Firstly, was that plastic supposed to keep out a biohazard? Hello? And how bad are her eyes that she didn't see this not-human thing until she was on top it, and even then, she kept talking to it. Are we supposed to think that because the average person has no awareness/sense of the possibility of aliens, the idea that this was anything other than human would never occur to her or the red shirt/hapless hospital worker?

Why didn't the Weevil attack her, especially when she *turned her back on it* to watch HaplessGuy approach?

And what with Jack having her sit in a chair in front of the Weevil's cell for a bit? Did she strike him as someone who would need to immediately sit down to absorb the info? Right, cause marching in with pizza boxes didn't give him any clue to her personality.

I confess I was surprised by the amount of cursing and clearly bleeped words in this ep. Not even so-called "basic cable" (like F/X's so-called "boundary pushing" Rescue Me, Nip/Tuck, and The Shield go there.)

But I love how looks (especially clear skin and shiny teeth) are not at the top of the BBC's casting checklist. Nice to see Real People for a change.

cutecouple

cutecouple

Stalker

Posted Sep 12, 2007 @ 2:22 PM

Firstly, was that plastic supposed to keep out a biohazard? Hello?

I assumed that plastic was to keep out most bystanders.

maru87

maru87

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 12, 2007 @ 3:46 PM

And how bad are her eyes that she didn't see this not-human thing until she was on top it, and even then, she kept talking to it.

She thought it was a mask. The weevil is a biped, if you are not expecting an ET, you assume it is a costume. Or I would.

Why didn't the Weevil attack her, especially when she *turned her back on it* to watch HaplessGuy approach?

I assumed that it didn't attack until it felt threatened; HaplessGuy walked up to it and put his hand to its head.

tuaththua

tuaththua

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 12, 2007 @ 4:34 PM

I was under the impression that that part of the hospital was being refurbished or something.

AngelKitty

AngelKitty

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 12, 2007 @ 8:49 PM

And did anyone think the hand in the jar was the one Ten lost in TCI?

I didn't remember that. I wondered if it was the Hand of Boe. Tee.

Adararose

Adararose

Fanatic

Posted Sep 13, 2007 @ 1:13 AM

I'm pretty sure it was, in fact, the hand he lost in Christmas Invasion.

I can't at all tell you my source for this, because I totally forgot it, but I think it might have been on one of the Torchwood Confidentials or some other DVD extra thingie.

I just remember seeing (or reading) some comment about, "yeah, that's Ten's hand in a jar" and I laughed and thought, "Idiot, why didn't you notice that?"

FoolishWanderer

FoolishWanderer

Fanatic

Posted Sep 13, 2007 @ 6:23 AM

My thought about the hand was that it was his own. For whatever reason, he'd chopped his own hand off and kept it alive in a jar. No, I don't take drugs. If that's what I think of without them, then why would I need them? :)

HeadCase

HeadCase

Fanatic

Posted Sep 13, 2007 @ 6:26 AM

The Radio Times confirmed it was the Doctor's hand in their coverage of Torchwood's premier.

TWoP Bayliss

TWoP Bayliss

Posted Sep 13, 2007 @ 9:28 AM

THIS THREAD IS US PACED: There's a tidy little (US) in the thread heading and everything. If you feel like talking about UK-pace TW, there's a thread for that. If you're linking to other materials, like magazines, keep those in line with the rules of the site. If you're not sure, ask me in PM.

IT'S FUN TO BREAK COPYRIGHT!: And yet we've asked you not to. Please respect that. Linking to clips and vids is fine, but entire episodes are not. JUST STAY TUNED...: Coy, spoiled, "you're not so far off" posts will be deleted on sight. You have your own thread, stop being obnoxious in this one. AND ON THAT NOTE: The topic of this thread is Torchwood, at the US pace. It's an additional and unnecessary annex thread, which stays open at the moderator's discretion. Please, please stay on topic.

BUT WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS ON YAOI? Please, please, if your post is Janto-related and has more to do with the world inside your head -- arguing intentions, going around and around about whether or not something that never actually happened, happened -- more than the world of what's actually onscreen, take it elsewhere. Perhaps a blog, or a diary with a heart-shaped lock on it. The shipping contingent for this show has gone viral and mean and it's just too much trouble. You want a reason there aren't multiple TW threads? Janto is the reason.

Edited by TWoP Bayliss, Mar 26, 2008 @ 2:33 PM.

jellybabiesrus

jellybabiesrus

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 13, 2007 @ 1:13 PM

And what with Jack having her sit in a chair in front of the Weevil's cell for a bit? Did she strike him as someone who would need to immediately sit down to absorb the info?

I immediately flashed on 'Silence of the Lambs'. Everything about the scene, right down to the Weevil's prison jumpsuit was just like the scene where Clarice meets Lecter for the first time. It felt like an intentional device to rachet up the tension. Or, am I remembering that scene incorrectly?

MatthewMcIntyre

MatthewMcIntyre

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 13, 2007 @ 9:36 PM

As reported on Outpost Gallifrey, Torchwood got 496,000 viewers on BBC America - which is a new record for the channel.

WanderFree

WanderFree

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 15, 2007 @ 12:35 AM

But I love how looks (especially clear skin and shiny teeth) are not at the top of the BBC's casting checklist. Nice to see Real People for a change.

Total WORD!

That's what I've always enjoyed about shows from "across the pond". They actually feature...get this...people who can ACT. With faces you see every day. Not plasticized Barbie / Ken dolls who are barely capable of speaking two words believably. It's refreshing.

Back on topic: I thought the weevil was supposed to look sort of Halloween-costumey so that Gwen / the victim would be arguably right in approaching it and admiring the "costume" rather than running scared. A lifetime of special effects has robbed them of the ability to see a real monster when they encounter it.

Glad the show rated so well. I'd hate to get attached to it and have it yanked away.

tuaththua

tuaththua

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 15, 2007 @ 5:28 AM

Lets be honest there are times and places when the Klingon Empire could invade and we wouldn't notice for a week.

Gwen probably thought it was a fanboy who'd used superglue and was in hospital to get the rubber mask off.

fastiller

fastiller

Fanatic

Posted Sep 15, 2007 @ 9:00 AM

So, I read this article" 'Super-scope' to see hidden texts, and all I could think about was how pissed Jack would be at Tosh for giving away Torchwood's alien technology.

John Potts

John Potts

Fanatic

Posted Sep 15, 2007 @ 9:05 AM

Well, we do have the advantage that we know we're watching a TV show. She has no reason not to believe that it isn't a man in a rubber mask* at that point. That's hardly on the level of randy teens deciding to go skinny dipping when there's a serial killer on the loose.

* When IRL, it really is an actor in a mask!

bookwrm74

bookwrm74

Stalker

Posted Sep 15, 2007 @ 3:04 PM

I don't even watch Dr. Who (which I've tried to get into but remained meh about), but ended up checking this out and really, really enjoyed it. I found the characters really likable and relatable, the storyline really interesting and the dialogue sharp and with just the right amount of snark (that's pretty much a requirement for me with most of the shows that make it to my coveted TiFaux 'record' list!).

I really don't need yet another TV addiction in my life, but now that my beloved Psych is on hiatus, I do have an empty spot to fill in my weekend viewing. I just really enjoyed the overall premise and tone and found myself looking forward to the next episode. Hopefully it'll live up to my expectations rather than becoming yet another show that I initially feel hopeful about but leaves me feeling all jaded and bitter ;)