Torchwood: The Arse Spreads Across the Atlantic

• Please log in to reply

21851 replies to this topic

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Sep 8, 2007 @ 9:31 PM

Well. That was dark. Really, really dark.

I shouldn't think of this as a DW spinoff, but rather as Men In Black run by the omnisexual guy who ran with the Doctor for a few episodes. "Bisexual" my arse...I'm surprised Jack didn't drop trou and offer to give the Daleks the time of their lives at the Gamestation. "EXTERMINATE EXTER-...PENETRATE! PENETRATE!!!"

It was an interesting episode, though Gwen should've figured that a. Jack would have some sort of Neuralizer; in this case, a roofie colada that gives him the excuse to say "retcon," and b. Torchwood could wipe out her computer, so she could have written the stuff down on paper. At least that's what I would've done.

ETA: A round of applause for Rose "Bad Wolf" Tyler for turning Jack into a guy version of Claire Bennet. I'd suggest he'd get his own Mr. Muggles, but he might end up having sex with it.

Edited by Lantern7, Sep 8, 2007 @ 9:33 PM.

MsMia

MsMia

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 8, 2007 @ 9:33 PM

I liked it. Well enough to watch again, at least.

Should I feel insulted that BBC America keeps telling me where to find the closed-caption button on my remote? Heh.

General Guy

General Guy

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 8, 2007 @ 9:57 PM

Agh, the trappings of the "Introductory" episode made it kind of hard for me to enjoy it. It was likable, and I'm sure the next few episodes are what's going to put it to real test. And did the "That must be someone in an alien costume, I'll walk right over to him!" guy never see a sci-fi/horror movie or tv show before? He deserved to die with that kind of attitude.

Nadamoi

Nadamoi

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 8, 2007 @ 9:58 PM

Blood! They showed blood!
And not just any blood; deep red spurting blood.
Cool.

I also think I met someone once all spritzed up on alien cologne.
That's my excuse, at least.

arizonamyrie

arizonamyrie

Stalker

Posted Sep 8, 2007 @ 10:12 PM

I'm surprised Jack didn't drop trou and offer to give the Daleks the time of their lives at the Gamestation. "EXTERMINATE EXTER-...PENETRATE! PENETRATE!!!"

I just had beer come out my nose!

I watched it with my parents. I didn't think I would, but I prepped them with some Graham Norton and S1 DW Jack eps, and of course told them that Jack is the definition of "Sexual Innuendo."

I like the show, obviously or I wouldn't be here. I found that it kept my attention more than DW does on Sciffy, and probably because of the commercial cuts being placed differently (and it helps that they use the mini-credits to cut to them - although I don't have to be reminded of what show I'm watching as my remote will do that for me just by pressing a big button).

There was a lot of things that they showed that I didn't think they would, especially with a TV-14 rating. Owen's man-on-man snog, the squirting blood, Suzie shooting herself, and I think there were a few other things. The cuts weren't as obvious as Sciffy does with DW, which is good.

Actually, it's a shame Suzie did shoot herself, because that would be a character I'd love to see. I have seen the rest of the season and won't comment on that yet, but I loved her dynamic in this. There's this human quality to her, and yet an alien detachment that's just intriguing to watch, and probably just as intriguing to act and write. Of course, in a show where the lead "cannot die," who really knows what the next few seasons has in store for us with Suzie (beyond S1)?

And I really thing RTD did a pretty good job at introducing us to the world of Torchwood via Gwen. Where DW uses the companion to show us the world of the Doctor, TW is using Gwen in Ep 1 to do the same and slowly reel us in. And it felt real because of it - not imposed or fake or anything else. We were there asking the same questions, seeing the same sights, and wondering all along.

Should I feel insulted that BBC America keeps telling me where to find the closed-caption button on my remote? Heh.

I know this is off topic, but I know that voice from somewhere too and I can't figure out where.

Oh, and I have to add that I love watching these shows on BBC A - this network was my first introduction to DW last year, and it was fun trying to catch up on S1 and S2 together on the two networks, Wikipedia, and here. Great way to watch.

Edited by arizonamyrie, Sep 8, 2007 @ 10:14 PM.

Flipote

Flipote

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 8, 2007 @ 10:16 PM

I'm interested enough to keep watching. It's nice for a TV show to have a secret alien-studying organization staffed not by sinister, soulless experts, but by fallible people who are in way over their heads.

Although...

I do hope the makeup artist is kinder to the lead actress in future episodes. I thought the heavy, pale foundation and the racoon eyes seriously detracted from the police uniform. Was the crew using one of Bille Piper's old makeup plots?

Also, nothing in the episode itself scared me quite as much as that Heinekin commercial.

Edited by Flipote, Sep 8, 2007 @ 10:29 PM.

arizonamyrie

arizonamyrie

Stalker

Posted Sep 8, 2007 @ 10:27 PM

I read the IGN review and saw the picture - nothing like having multiple angles on the shadows there. Here's a direct link if anyone into photography wants a closer look. What is going on in it?

Also, Eve Myles was just as pale in her DW guest appearance in S1 (Gwyneth the maid in the Dickens ep).

And can I say how much I love British police uniforms?

WanderFree

WanderFree

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 8, 2007 @ 11:14 PM

arizonamyre said

I know this is off topic, but I know that voice from somewhere too and I can't figure out where.

I actually thought it was Graham Norton - since he had his show w/ David Tennant in the middle of the mix, it made sense.

Kudos to BBCA for their commercial cuts - much more savvy than SciFi.

And I enjoyed TW. The Star Ledger thought that Owen's "perfume" trick was a cheap joke? I thought it tied nicely into the glove idea - these people have access to technology that starts to make them feel "above" and CJ believes that they put it down at the end of the day. Susie becomes a killer (just to perfect her resurrection technique) and Owen's doing chemical date rape. Which is not a joke, cheap or otherwise. Tosh may be more benign - speed copying books, but they have all succumbed to temptation. Wait - did the waiter guy (forgot his name) take anything? None of the others' hands are clean, and flawed characters are more fun in my little world.

I hope we get more info about how CJ got back in time to Earth from Satellite 5. Interesting to know he can't die, and I'm spoiled enough to know that he has more interaction with the Doctor, and I'm hoping it's as fun as the last time.

Edited b/c "he" is never quite as clear as a name.

Edited by WanderFree, Sep 8, 2007 @ 11:15 PM.

Flaregun

Flaregun

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 8, 2007 @ 11:19 PM

It was an interesting episode, though Gwen should've figured that a. Jack would have some sort of Neuralizer; in this case, a roofie colada that gives him the excuse to say "retcon," and b. Torchwood could wipe out her computer, so she could have written the stuff down on paper. At least that's what I would've done.

But then, I'd expect any competent Shadowy Secret Organization to break in while she was asleep and confiscate any written documentation. Of course even if they had, they might well have missed the single word "Remember" written on a brochure for the Millennium Plaza. (BTW, the author of one of the reviews of this show seemed to think the Millennium Plaza was some sort of apartment complex)

ETA: A round of applause for Rose "Bad Wolf" Tyler for turning Jack into a guy version of Claire Bennet. I'd suggest he'd get his own Mr. Muggles, but he might end up having sex with it.

I think the Pterodactyl fills the role of Mr. Muggles on this show, which is not to say it's necessarily safe from Jack's advances.

Hey don't knock it, after the episode I stuck around to catch David Tennant on the Graham Norton Show, where they chatted a bit with those creepy Proclaimers twins, and if it wasn't for the CC I'd have never even suspected that what the Proclaimers were speaking in was supposed to be any form of English at all.

I also thought that as an "introductory", "meet the characters, have a look at our cool set, listen as we explain the premise" episode it felt a bit empty. There was no real major monster-centered story at all, just a quick introduction to the Weevil and a murder mystery subplot that barely takes up 10 minutes of the show. But if this ep. is really all about atmosphere & mood, it at least does a pretty good job of it. It was nicely dark & ominous, and I think BBC-A might have actually done the show a favor with their editing by cutting out some of the more excessive unnecessary "Google Earth" eye-view aerial pans of Cardiff and shots of Cap'n Jack standing on the roof edges of tall buildings for no discernible reason (other than to show that someone on the show is a big fan of Wings Of Desire)

I couldn't help but giggle just a bit at our first sight of Torchwood, the super-secret shadowy Special Ops mystery organization, as they come rolling up in their big-ass tricked out SUV with flashing lights all over and playing loud bad techno music to announce their arrival.

And although I was of course aware of the fact, it's still a bit of a culture shock to actually see that in the UK ordinary beat cops don't carry guns and so when confronted with a dangerous situation such as coming face to face with a monster or having someone pull a gun on them, they apparently have no recourse but to stand there and cry.

Edited by Flaregun, Sep 9, 2007 @ 12:36 AM.

dreamy

dreamy

Stalker

Posted Sep 8, 2007 @ 11:36 PM

I'm surprised Jack didn't drop trou and offer to give the Daleks the time of their lives at the Gamestation. "EXTERMINATE EXTER-...PENETRATE! PENETRATE!!!"

Heh. Although 'heh,' doesn't do much to express how funny I found this.

It was hard to find y'all! I enjoy Doctor Who, but I'm hit or miss with it, so I haven't been able to keep up with the forums.

I did enjoy this a lot, though I'm glad I taped it, so that I can see it again. Will it hurt my knowledge/enjoyment that I'm not as up on Doctor Who as I'd like to be? I don't think so from this first episode.

Robinhood

Robinhood

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 9, 2007 @ 12:15 AM

I enjoyed the show. Certainly enough to watch it again.

I loved the reversal of Gwen walking into Torchwood and seeing all the oh so serious people at their mysterious duties only to have them crack up and admit they are messing with her (and us). Very funny.

I liked the way they alluded to DW in Jack's remark about finding the "right kind of doctor" to explain his immortality. And did anyone think the hand in the jar was the one Ten lost in TCI? I'll bet anything that's where they got it.

That bit makes me laugh. Every. Single. Time.

I actually thought it was Graham Norton - since he had his show w/ David Tennant in the middle of the mix, it made sense.

No, the voice is John Oliver. You can see him (here in the States) often on The Daily Show with John Stewart. He is very funny.

edited because Flaregun is more observant and because her and here are so very different.

Edited by Robinhood, Sep 9, 2007 @ 7:07 PM.

Flaregun

Flaregun

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 9, 2007 @ 12:55 AM

(and it helps that they use the mini-credits to cut to them - although I don't have to be reminded of what show I'm watching as my remote will do that for me just by pressing a big button).

It's amazing how much those little bumpers help ease the transition into a commercial where there was never meant to be one. Of course, coming back from the commercials is still a bit awkward, but it's true that BBC-A is way better than Sci-Fi at inserting commercials into shows that were not made with commercials in mind, which I guess is only to be expected. In fact, between that and their effective promotion, I'm really starting to wish they'd manage to get themselves included in more basic cable packages so the channel would be available to everyone, and then convince Sci-Fi to drop Doctor Who so they could broadcast the latest first-run episodes in America themselves (and then maybe somehow get the rights to the new season of Battlestar Galactica in the bargain, although I suppose that wouldn't really make much sense). It's just hard to respect yourself watching Sci-Fi with all those insesent ads for grade-z Giant CGI Reptile movies. Sure, BBC-A might be full of ads for Hotel Babylon and How Clean Is Your House, but they have English accents so they're classy.

And can I say how much I love British police uniforms?

Gotta say I'm not lovin' that checkered bowler hat, it just looks like she's about to join a chorus line of similarly attired policemen and break into in a Bob Fosse Broadway dance number. I do really like those illuminated badges though, in a strange way it's more futuristic looking than anything Torchwood itself has.

And I enjoyed TW. The Star Ledger thought that Owen's "perfume" trick was a cheap joke? I thought it tied nicely into the glove idea - these people have access to technology that starts to make them feel "above" and CJ believes that they put it down at the end of the day. Susie becomes a killer (just to perfect her resurrection technique) and Owen's doing chemical date rape. Which is not a joke, cheap or otherwise. Tosh may be more benign - speed copying books, but they have all succumbed to temptation. Wait - did the waiter guy (forgot his name) take anything? None of the others' hands are clean, and flawed characters are more fun in my little world.

The "waiter guy"'s name is Ianto. It's Welsh (in fact I believe it's Welsh for "Jeeves"), and don't worry, we'll see what alien tech he's been squirling away soon enough, God help us. And whatever you might think about Owen, I just can't really get behind the whole "date rape" accusation of him here. After all, he's pretty much just sprtizing himself with Axe Body Spray, ...if that Axe crap worked the way it does in the commercials. And don't sugarcoat it, Tosh's choice of stolen office supplies is just plain lame. A high-speed scanner that can copy an entire book onto your computer in three seconds? Isn't Hewlett-Packard coming out with one of those in another 6 months or so?

No, the voice is John Oliver. You can see him (her in the States) often on The Daily Show with John Stewart. He is very funny.

Ah, the vagrancies of spelling; one dropped letter and you've made John Oliver a woman whenever s/he's in America. And yes, she is extremely funny on TDS, in fact she just might be the best correspondent that show's had since Stephen Colbert.

Edited by Flaregun, Sep 9, 2007 @ 1:00 AM.

WynterWolf

WynterWolf

Stalker

Posted Sep 9, 2007 @ 1:17 AM

in fact I believe it's Welsh for "Jeeves"

I think it's actually Welsh for "John". And with Jones being as common as Smith, so basically it's kind of like "John Smith".

Upon rewatch, I still loved the feel and tone of the show and several of the characters intrigued me, but I had found Gwen pretty annoying at the start and that unfortunately didn't change on rewatch. It's still a very fun ride, though.

KSFan

KSFan

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 9, 2007 @ 1:29 AM

And whatever you might think about Owen, I just can't really get behind the whole "date rape" accusation of him here. After all, he's pretty much just sprtizing himself with Axe Body Spray, ...if that Axe crap worked the way it does in the commercials.

And by doing that, he's forcing her "No" into a "Yes", it's not a free choice for her. That's why I see it as rape. YMMV.

I agree the show is very watchable, and yes, still can't stand Gwen. I'll watch it on CBC in October and see what's cut out up here.

Adararose

Adararose

Fanatic

Posted Sep 9, 2007 @ 1:45 AM

Oh! John Oliver. Of course. Thanks!

Er... As an introductory episode, I, personally, found it outrageously slow. Although, yeah, great for mood setting. But I wondered if it seemed as outrageously slow for the people who didn't already know Torchwood and Captain Jack from Doctor Who. For those of us who did, though, it was a lot of "get on with it, already." IMHO and all that.

And no matter what you say about BBCA's commercial cuts on this, I thought their cuts on Christmas Invasion were criminal -- so I really can't get on board the whole "they do commercial breaks better than SciFi" bandwagon.

michelel

michelel

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 9, 2007 @ 2:07 AM

I didn't find the pacing that bad, myself. A little odd, maybe; but I think that's just my not knowing the show's particular rhythms yet. I'll give it another couple of episodes, at least.

BBCA did cut Christmas Invasion brutally, but the cuts did make sense. I haven't seen a side-by-side or anything like that, but if they had to slash it down to an hour (including commercials imploring me to sell the gold someone thinks I have lying around or the timeshare someone thinks I have but don't use), I'd say they did a decent job -- as much as I hate that they cut the entire Christmas dinner/wardrobe selection scene. They sacrificed characterization; SciFi excises plot.

I could have sworn that, while John Oliver does a huge chunk of the closed-caption spots, Eric Idle did some of them as well. I'm almost as bad at voices as I am at faces, though, so don't anyone go asserting that without checking it first!

And I'm glad I wasn't drinking anything when I read that Captain Jack/Mr. Muggles comment.

Flipote

Flipote

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 9, 2007 @ 2:28 AM

Tosh's choice of stolen office supplies is just plain lame. A high-speed scanner that can copy an entire book onto your computer in three seconds?

My impression was that Tosh was using her device to read the books incredibly quickly.

I actually like that Tosh chose to use her illicit alien tech to gain knowledge. She reminds me of Christopher Marlowe's Doctor Faustus near the beginning of the play, when still in the first stage of corruption. Faustus (bless his nerdy heart) uses his illicit hell-tech to get Mephistopholes to bring him a whole bunch of books and then quizzes his new servant about astronomy. Of course, Faustus then goes on to use his otherworldly power for ends that are more frivolous (Owen) and malign (Susie), and eventually, despite periodic efforts to repent, he gets dragged down into hell (Susie? And who knows who else). But in the meantime he is unkillable (Jack). There is a great scene in Act 4 where Faustus gets his head cut off onstage and appears to die - then he regenerates it and rises, which really freaks out his murderers, who are still holding the severed one. Hee. Am I wrong to hope for a scene like that on Torchwood?

(By the way, Faustus repeats his getting-a-limb-cut-off-and-regrowing-it trick later in the play, leading to the great line "Oh horrible! Had the Doctor three legs?" - which reminds me of our Doctor and his three hands.)

I need to stop before this tangent gets out of hand. The sixteenth century is when everything changes...

Anyway...I like Tosh.

Edited by Flipote, Sep 9, 2007 @ 2:50 AM.

Flaregun

Flaregun

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 9, 2007 @ 3:03 AM

And no matter what you say about BBCA's commercial cuts on this, I thought their cuts on Christmas Invasion were criminal -- so I really can't get on board the whole "they do commercial breaks better than SciFi" bandwagon.

I happened to just now catch a rebroadcast of this, and I was indeed shocked by what was cut. But then I realized, this was apparently an hour-long edit of the special (with commercials) to make it fit into a standard episode time slot, while the Sci Fi version ran an hour & a half. As a very extreme, severe edit, I thought it was at least amazingly coherent, to someone who didn't know any better it would look like it was complete and with nothing missing. When you're dealing with syndication it's just an unavoidable problem with these extended, odd length "special" episodes: everything simply *has* to come out to a standard-length hour long episode, and the only two ways to do that are to either chop the episode to the bone, or spit it up into two hour-long episodes, and since TCI was just about one full hour without commercials, there just wasn't nearly enough material to do the latter. I'm sure someone will still dig out the full 90-minute full version to play around Christmas time, although I suspect it will only be Sci-Fi that has the rights to that version.

As for the first episode being "slow" or, as I described it, rather "empty" of any real compelling story, I think that was in some ways deliberate. This episode really played largely like a Torchwood orientation film, and it's probably no accident that next week's ep. is entitled "Day One", as an indication that that is when the real Torchwood adventures begin.

Anyway, now that the episode's aired, can someone tell those of us without that Comcast digital preview thing what the cut-off point of the "preview" of the episode was that everyone thought was so effective?

ETA:

That is really interesting, Flipote. I'm not familar with that specific version of the Faust story, but from what you describe it sounds like there might be some very real, intentional parallels going on. I don't recall anyone really mentioning it before now, but I'm thinking that I just might have to keep the idea of a "Faustian bargain" in mind as I watch the season play out again. Hmm...., *very* interesting...,

There is a great scene in Act 4 where Faustus gets his head cut off onstage and appears to die - then he regenerates it and rises, which really freaks out his murderers, who are still holding the severed one. Hee. Am I wrong to hope for a scene like that on Torchwood?

Seems to me like we got something fairly close to it tonight, with Jack rising up again and the bullet hole in his forehead healing. If you insist on an actual full-on head regeneration, there's always that scene from the movie Men In Black...,

Edited by Flaregun, Sep 9, 2007 @ 3:33 AM.

Erie42

Erie42

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 9, 2007 @ 12:30 PM

I have to join the chorus of "I like it"s. Gwen wasn't that terrible in my mind. She is pretty and not entirely stupid just not as clever as she should be about "special ops stuff".
The parts that really worked well were any with Captain Jack since he is played with a kind of charismatic cheekiness that works. I'm hoping that he is not the only one on the show with a personality.

Gwen seems to be some sort of guide for the team. She has not defined her life as "torchwood" so at least thinks of the ramifications of their work for people. That's good but she better not be too boring.

As for the woman who killed herself, I like how her goal was being able to grant immortality since that tied in nicely with what Jack is trying to escape from.

mokesh

mokesh

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 9, 2007 @ 12:42 PM

Will it hurt my knowledge/enjoyment that I'm not as up on Doctor Who as I'd like to be?

No. I saw the entire season of Torchwood without having seen a single DW, and loved it so much I was even convinced to give DW a try despite thinking it looked silly (and I'm so glad I did).

cyberducks

cyberducks

Fanatic

Posted Sep 9, 2007 @ 3:45 PM

I'm hoping that he is not the only one on the show with a personality

Grins. Owen has a personality - some people may not like his personality - but he does have one. Poor much hated Gwen has a personality too, Tosh is a bit of a still water, but I like her. As for Ianto I find him a cypher, whose motivations are puzzling to me.

Demian

Demian

Network Executive

Posted Sep 9, 2007 @ 4:23 PM

Gosh, but Cardiff is glamorous.

WynterWolf

WynterWolf

Stalker

Posted Sep 9, 2007 @ 4:43 PM

Owen has a personality - some people may not like his personality - but he does have one.

Yes, he definitely does. And while I can't say that I like Owen, I do enjoy him.

Gosh, but Cardiff is glamorous.

Aw, I like the Cardiff!Porn. ;-)

cyberducks

cyberducks

Fanatic

Posted Sep 9, 2007 @ 4:54 PM

Gosh, but Cardiff is glamorous

Cardiff is a lovely city and totally deserves the gratituous shots lavished on it in TW.

Flaregun

Flaregun

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 9, 2007 @ 5:39 PM

I read the IGN review and saw the picture - nothing like having multiple angles on the shadows there. Here's a direct link if anyone into photography wants a closer look. What is going on in it?

Huh? Putting aside all sexual innuendo for just this once, just what the hell *is* Cap'n Jack doing down on one knee? Is he about to run the 100 meter dash? Is he trying to coax an aloof Suzie into a game of leapfrog? Has he just been on his hands and knees vomiting? That picture has the four long-time Torchwood drones all posing like fashion models while Gwen looks like she's really, really cold and Jack..., is in a deep crouch for no apparent reason. Very odd.

To those who have been asking if you can Follow Torchwood without having seen Doctor Who, the short answer is yes, easily. There is *some* additional background information about who Cap'n Jack is & where he comes from established in Who S1, but it's far from complete. Jack is supposed to be a figure of mystery, an enigma, and there are many things about him, such as how he ended up at Torchwood and why he can't die, that are at this point unknown even to those who last saw him at the end of DW's first season. It could be claimed that one is better off coming to Torchwood with Jack as a complete mystery and letting this show unwrap the puzzle by revealing whatever hints & revelations about him that it decides to, at it's own pace. Some would go so far as to strongly insist that we shouldn't even pay attention to some of the things that might be claimed or suggested about him on Doctor Who.

But there is one minor little detail in the episode, not about Cap'n Jack, that directly refers back to DW. When Jack is trying to explain how it is that they go unnoticed when standing on the elevator platform in the middle of Millennium Plaza, he says "If I had to guess...", and lets loose a stream of technobabble including the mention of a "Chameleon Circuit" which was once there and somehow "tapped into the rift". The Chameleon Circuit is what enables the TARDIS to alter its appearance to blend in with it's surroundings (when it's not broken). In the S1 Who episode Boomtown the TARDIS was plopped down right in the middle of Millennium plaza to "refuel" by tapping the special energy being churned out by the rift. So that residual spot of quasi-invisibility there now is an after effect of the TARDIS being there.

Now, if you'll permit me to seriously get my geek on, there's an interesting point hidden away in all this. In Boomtown, Mickey asked the Doctor why no one seemed to notice this blue box suddenly sitting right there in the middle of the plaza, and Nine just gave an evasive non-answer about how humans just don't notice unexpected things like that. This was not the first time people have wondered this about the TARDIS and been frustrated by the lack of a concrete answer, and had been much speculation, but as far as I've been able to tell, this bit of convoluted dialog on Torchwood is the first definitive, canonical onscreen confirmation of the long-suspected belief that the Chameleon Circuit not only changes the shape of the TARDIS, but affects the perception of anyone looking at it so that they tend not to take any notice of it. This was one of the major unanswered questions about the TARDIS, finally offically confirmed, but hidden under a pile of technobabble on a seperate show.

All right, so maybe I was lying when I said this was interesting. YMMV.

ETA: We have not yet seen enough of most of the staff of Torchwood for me to officially have an opinion about them here. But rest assured, when the time comes I will have some strong opinions. Although I will say I am not now feeling the dislike for Gwen that some here have already expressed.

The aerial shots of Cardiff are a very handy place for BBC-A to trim the show without sacrificing meaningful content, so I'm thankful for them for that reason if nothing else. And I really don't need all those establishing shots to get a feeling for what Cardiff is like, I've lived in New Jersey.

Edited by Flaregun, Sep 9, 2007 @ 6:02 PM.

A Conspiracy

A Conspiracy

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 9, 2007 @ 6:50 PM

I have only watched the first half "preview", but it is a good watchable show so far. I'll have to see how to get BBCA on my cable.

n Boomtown, Mickey asked the Doctor why no one seemed to notice this blue box suddenly sitting right there in the middle of the plaza, and Nine just gave an evasive non-answer about how humans just don't notice unexpected things like that.

Getting my geek on, I just always assumed it was an equivalent to a "Somebody Else's Problem" field from Hitchhiker's Guide.

aishoka

aishoka

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 9, 2007 @ 9:52 PM

I liked the way they alluded to DW in Jack's remark about finding the "right kind of doctor" to explain his immortality.

This has been puzzling me, Robinhood--does the Doctor even know that Jack is still alive/alive again? Did Nine know that Jack had been shot, did he know that Tardis/Rose had revived/resuscitated/brought him back to life? I seem to remember Rose saying something about getting Captain Jack when the regeneration was freaking her out, and Nine telling here he was busy getting Platform Five sorted out, in the S1 finale. (Was that edited out of the broadcast this weekend? or was I hallucinating it in the first place?) At the time I thought Nine was just trying to spare Rose's feelings--now I don't know what to think.

And did anyone think the hand in the jar was the one Ten lost in TCI? I'll bet anything that's where they got it.

Totally!! And I hope Gwen asks about it sometime soon...

spoiler bars for DW S1--are they necessary in this thread?
Thanks, HeadCase!

Edited by aishoka, Sep 9, 2007 @ 10:37 PM.

HeadCase

HeadCase

Fanatic

Posted Sep 9, 2007 @ 10:13 PM

aishoka, spoiler bars are not necessary for any Doctor Who that has aired in the US. So nothing from series one or two needs to be spoilered.

And I'm not going to answer your question about the Doctor knowing if Jack is still alive as that would require spoiler bars ;-)

Flaregun

Flaregun

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 9, 2007 @ 11:30 PM

aishoka
I seem to remember Rose saying something about getting Captain Jack when the regeneration was freaking her out, and Nine telling here he was busy getting Platform Five sorted out, in the S1 finale. (Was that edited out of the broadcast this weekend? or was I hallucinating it in the first place?) At the time I thought Nine was just trying to spare Rose's feelings--now I don't know what to think.

You're not hallucinating, but the conversation you remember wasn't in any proper episode, it was in the special mini-episode they did for the "Children In Need" charity telethon special thing, (AKA the "Pudsey Cutaway" for some reason), a short little five-minute or so episode they did with David Tennant & Billie Piper in the Tardis control room which sort of served as a link between the final moments of S1 and the beginning of The Christmas Invasion. Even if you don't usually download UK episodes, it was an ideal length for a YouTube clip and you likely followed a link to it.

The conversation happened much like you remember, except I think he said Jack was busy "rebuilding the Earth" or some such, and of course it was Ten, not Nine. Also, it's clear in this sequence that Ten isn't quite in his right mind; he's obviously suffering some after effects of his regeneration, is wildly manic and can't seem to control himself, and he might not be a completely reliable source of information at that moment. On the one hand, since TARDIS/Rose resurrected Jack and Nine then absorbed the Energy Vortex (or whatever) from Rose, it seems likely that in absorbing the vortex Nine/Ten might know everything that TARDIS/Rose had done and therefore knows Jack is alive, but then on the other hand your idea that Ten assumes Jack is dead and might just be trying to spare Rose's feelings does read as plausible for that scene as well.

And that's all we know about it, at this point.

Ginn

Ginn

Fanatic

Posted Sep 9, 2007 @ 11:38 PM

The New York Times gives Torchwood a negative review. Not a particularly well-written or cohesive one, but one that does make a decent point about the show's attitude toward aliens.