Ratings and Scheduling

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

360 replies to this topic

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Jan 29, 2008 @ 9:21 AM

Good news!

Just this weekend, Lions Gate and the WGA reached an interim agreement that allows their under-contract writers to return to work. While Lions Gate is mostly known for their films, they also produce Weeds and Mad Men, two of the most highly touted cable shows currently running. This means that, this week, Mad Men writers are returning to work on season 2 and the Weeds scribes are coming back to work on their fourth season.

Another article.

I asked [Matthew Weiner] what Lionsgate’s interim deal with the WGA meant for his show, and he disclosed perhaps the best news 2008 has heard to date:

“I go back to work on Monday,” he said. The plan at this point is that new episodes will air by late summer.

DaLovin Dj

DaLovin Dj

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 1, 2008 @ 2:23 PM

That's great news. Thank goodness. With 4400 cancelled and the strike not ending I was worried that I wouldn't have anything good to watch this summer.

Now, let's just get Burn Notice an interim deal and I can make it through.

Edited by DaLovin Dj, Feb 1, 2008 @ 2:24 PM.

posie734

posie734

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 8, 2008 @ 2:25 PM

I am having some serious Mad Men withdrawal. I don't know if it's the lack of TV, seeing the cast (esp Jon Hamm) at the SAG awards or what....but seriously when will Season 2 start??!! Or when is the Season 1 DVD coming out?
I can only re-watch The Wheel so many times. Now I'm rereading old recaps.
Come on Summer!

bobs yer uncle

bobs yer uncle

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 8, 2008 @ 10:21 PM

posie734, I understand your pain. As one obsessed MadFan to another, you'll be happy to know they're currently rerunning season 1 on AMC--Sunday nights at midnight, if you're a night owl and don't have to work the next day. But, if you have TIVO or a VCR, you can tape it. I think they're only up to episode 4, New Amsterdam, so there's still plenty of shows left. You might also check your On Demand schedule. They might be available there, as well.

Additionally, you can download the entire season (or just an episode or two) from iTunes, and watch it on your computer whenever you have the urge. The episodes are only $1.99 ea., or $25 for the entire season, which includes the "Making of" documentary.

Edited by bobs yer uncle, Feb 8, 2008 @ 10:22 PM.

jackiecarr

jackiecarr

Stalker

Posted Feb 11, 2008 @ 2:41 PM

I went to Matt Weiner's pilot screening/ q & a on Sat. He says they should be back on the air by late summer.

skiperdee123

skiperdee123

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 24, 2008 @ 9:20 AM

Saw Jon Hamm on Real Time w/Bill Maher over the weekend and he said they start shooting in a few weeks and on air in the summer.

TexMex

TexMex

Loyal Viewer

• Interests:Sports, Animals, Reality TV

Posted Mar 30, 2008 @ 3:39 PM

Thanks for the info. Can't wait til this show starts again.

Fisher King

Fisher King

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2008 @ 10:32 PM

Ads are running on AMC OnDemand announcing S2 for this summer. No dates yet.

countingthedays

countingthedays

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 23, 2008 @ 11:00 PM

Ausiello says sometime in July.

Slade2

Slade2

Couch Potato

Posted May 4, 2008 @ 9:30 PM

Does anyone know if AMC is still airing repeats of Mad Men on Sunday nights? I thought the 3rd episode was on tonight, but my TV shows The Karate Kid listed. Thanks.

feminaformosa

feminaformosa

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2008 @ 9:58 PM

I am starting to get itchy for this show! I hope it comes on sooner rather than later.

lynch

lynch

Fanatic

Posted May 28, 2008 @ 6:17 PM

Well, we've finally got an official premiere date. The season 2 premiere episode, "For Those Who Think Young," will air on July 27.

Edited by lynch, May 28, 2008 @ 6:18 PM.

American Snob

American Snob

Video Archivist

Posted May 29, 2008 @ 2:49 PM

I like the idea of airing the episodes on Sundays instead of Thursdays, my only concern is it is going up against Army Wives, a program that garners very high ratings in its timeslot. I think Mad Men has the potential to do well and I will definitely be watching in whatever slot AMC places it in.

lynch

lynch

Fanatic

Posted May 29, 2008 @ 3:21 PM

I'm not worried; the two shows don't seem to have much of a shared audience. Just look at the shows' titles (Men - Wives). They clearly seem to be aiming for different people. I'm much more worried about how the show will perform when the network season starts up.

Edited by lynch, May 29, 2008 @ 3:22 PM.

maatkare

maatkare

Fanatic

• Interests:"Modern Family," "Mad Men," "30 Rock," mystery novels, old movies, tootin' around on my folding bike, dayhikes in Griffith Park, never met a hamburger or spicy tuna roll I didn't like. And vodka.

Posted Jun 26, 2008 @ 1:14 PM

the two shows don't seem to have much of a shared audience. Just look at the shows' titles (Men - Wives). They clearly seem to be aiming for different people.

In the era of TiVo and multiple airings the same night, everyone can catch it.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Jul 21, 2008 @ 10:46 AM

While Mad Men actually does strike me as a Sunday night show (if there are such things anymore), the summer is kind of spare on other nights & Sunday is already occupied with other shows. I wish this show would be on Tuesdays or Wednesdays, but on the whole I'm just glad it's coming back.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Jul 24, 2008 @ 12:35 PM

3 days later doesn't count as a double post, does it?

Mad Men showed up on my DVR future recordings this morning. It's getting so close I can taste it!

ajay

ajay

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 27, 2008 @ 7:14 AM

Does anyone know how long the first season will be available On Demand? I just started watching and I'm hoping it doesn't disappear after today.

rsnation

rsnation

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 27, 2008 @ 9:00 AM

Help please! Does anyone know when Mad Men is repeated throughout the week? I'm pretty sure it's aired again later tonight/tomorrow morning but is there any other time? Unfortunately I've been informed that this is SHARK WEEK!!!!!! (pretty much how my 15-year-old always says that). Trying to be an accommodating mom here - wouldn't want to get between a boy and his sharks but he's out of luck if I can't find my show any other time.

goobaletta

goobaletta

Fanatic

Posted Jul 27, 2008 @ 11:26 AM

Sun 7/27
9:00 PM
Sun 7/27
10:00 PM
Mon 7/28
12:00 AM
Mon 7/28
10:00 AM
Thu 7/31
9:30 AM
Thu 7/31
11:30 PM
Sun 8/3
9:00 AM

These are all CDT, but this is what came up on my Zap2it listing for Comcast Memphis for the first episode.

indianhoop

indianhoop

Couch Potato

• Interests:Used to be dartmouthhoop here...I was a bad boy!!! Love to chat about TV...message me anytime.

Posted Jul 27, 2008 @ 3:28 PM

Tonight will be my 1st non On Demand viewing (late to the party here)....ads are going to grate. Also Generation Kill runs until 10:15 on HBO which irks also....well, at least it's a good problem to have.

domenica marie

domenica marie

Fanatic

Posted Jul 28, 2008 @ 9:52 AM

Ok, I know I complained about this last season, but I cannot record the show on my DVD recorder again. This time I definitely get a message on my screen telling me, "Nonrecordable movie, cannot record". So I guess my local AMC channel on Comcast doesn't allow it - curious if they are ok with recording it on their own DVR equiptment. I guess iTunes owns me again this year.

pomme de terre

pomme de terre

Fanatic

Posted Jul 28, 2008 @ 10:17 AM

Is there anywhere you can watch the show online? Like Hulu or something? AMC went to digital in my cable area and I can't see my MM!

Darn

Darn

Stalker

Posted Jul 28, 2008 @ 4:20 PM

No official numbers yet that I can find but TVByTheNumbers says this:

I haven’t actually “seen” the numbers yet, but what I’m hearing from inside sources is that last night’s season two premiere of Mad Men did massively better than both last year’s first season premiere and last year’s season average.

What I’m hearing is that Mad Men had 1.95 million viewers for the premiere and considering that the season one average was around 900,000, that puts it up over 100% versus last year’s average.

We also hear that it’s demo performance was pretty solid with roughly 50% of total viewing being in the 18-49 (955K viewers) and 25-54 (996K) year old demos based on the Nielsen Fast Nationals.

Doubling your viewership sounds like 25 million well spent I'd think...

Ammit

Ammit

Video Archivist

• Interests:Reading, cooking, playing video/computer games, taking walks with my husband and our dog, watching football and Formula 1 and just generally being a couch potato.<br /><br />Currently enjoying (mostly on DVD):<br />BSG<br />Supernatural<br />Medium <br />Breaking Bad<br />Damages<br />Corner Gas<br />House<br />Pushing Daisies<br />Dexter<br />Chuck<br />Eureka<br />Doctor Who<br />The Closer<br />Reaper<br />In Plain Sight<br /><br />Still not sure about:<br />Eli Stone<br />T:SCC<br />Bones<br />Torchwood<br />The Middleman<br /><br />Will get around to trying:<br />The Wire<br />Arrested Development<br />Mad Men<br /><br /><br />Favourite show ever: Angel<br /><br />Guilty Pleasure: Charmed, Nip\Tuck<br /><br />Hero to Zero in the fewest episodes: Lost<br /><br />Most reviled show:<br />Any form of reality or talk show that is not on PBS.<br /><br />Loved them, but it was time to go:<br />Six Feet Under<br />Buffy<br />X-files<br />Jericho<br />Rome<br /><br />Still pissed off that they canceled:<br />Angel<br />Miracles<br />The Adventures of Briscoe County Jr.<br />Wonderfalls<br />Deadwood<br />Dead Like Me<br />Firefly<br />Threshold<br />Profit<br />The Dresden Files

Posted Jul 28, 2008 @ 5:57 PM

Here are some numbers from Mediaweek.

Excellent news. I hope most of those people stuck around to watch Breaking Bad afterward.

A Little Edgy

A Little Edgy

Fanatic

Posted Jul 28, 2008 @ 8:29 PM

Ok, I know I complained about this last season, but I cannot record the show on my DVD recorder again. This time I definitely get a message on my screen telling me, "Nonrecordable movie, cannot record". So I guess my local AMC channel on Comcast doesn't allow it - curious if they are ok with recording it on their own DVR equiptment. I guess iTunes owns me again this year.

I am a Comcast victim/subscriber as well*, and I have no trouble recording MM on the DVR they supplied.

On a different subject, a post in another thread mentioned watching the show on AMCHD. Does such a thing exist? Comcast doesn't carry it - at least not in my area. I know it's expensive to broadcast in HD, but why wouldn't a cable company offer it if the network provides it? It seems to me that offering as many HD channels as possible is a major selling point for cable. (And holy cow, what a difference it makes. After watching the DVDs, it took a good 15 minutes for me to get past the blurry, small image on non-HD AMC and start fully enjoying the episode.)

*I obligatorily say "victim" because all the Stuff White People Like people loathe their cable company, and only former Young Republicans - and not cool libertarian types, either, but the junior corporate executive variety - would ever have anything good to say about it. In reality, however, <small voice> I have no problem with Comcast and am generally quite happy with the vast variety of entertainment they bring me </small voice>.

Edited by A Little Edgy, Jul 28, 2008 @ 8:32 PM.

Irlandesa

Irlandesa

Fanatic

Posted Jul 28, 2008 @ 8:43 PM

A Little Edgy, yes AMCHD does exist and yes Comcast does carry it in some areas. I have Comcast and it was added to my cable package some time between the finale Breaking Bad and the season premiere of Mad Men. Reportedly Comcast offered last season on HD via their On Demand service but that I did not get.

Oh, and it's kind of expensive but I also have few complaints about Comcast. *knock on wood*

Excellent news. I hope most of those people stuck around to watch Breaking Bad afterward.

MM aired twice before BB aired so who knows how long they stuck around. I could be mistaken but I seem to recall the numbers for Breaking Bad, at least in the beginning, were very decent against some stiff football competition.

Melancholiac

Melancholiac

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 6, 2008 @ 6:37 AM

Hmmm. It appears a number of viewers were as bored by the Season 2 premiere as I. There was a loss of more than 600,000 viewers from week 1 to week 2. Rough numbers were 1.95 million for the premiere and 1.33 million for week 2. Looks like it's slowly sliding back to last year's average.

FlorenceHarding

FlorenceHarding

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 16, 2008 @ 1:13 AM

Does anyone know what the ratings were for the third episode?

Mamalita

Mamalita

Fanatic

Posted Aug 16, 2008 @ 11:14 AM

Episode 3 had 1.26 million viewers which was a 5% decline from Episode 2. Not bad against the Olympics.