Spoilers (with discussion)

• Please log in to reply

4538 replies to this topic

johnacraft

johnacraft

Video Archivist

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 10:27 AM

You guys have totally sold me on the scenario of various people from creative leaving!

I've been expecting Peggy to go rogue ever since the 'nervous poodle' speech at the end of S3. The fight in "The Suitcase" redoubled my expectation. Now her drunkversation with Dawn, and her reaction to Stan's "Heinz. Baked. Beans" moment - I think we're getting closer.

Riff Randell

Riff Randell

Video Archivist

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 10:49 AM

I've been expecting Peggy to go rogue ever since the 'nervous poodle' speech at the end of S3. The fight in "The Suitcase" redoubled my expectation. Now her drunkversation with Dawn, and her reaction to Stan's "Heinz. Baked. Beans" moment - I think we're getting closer.

I feel like Duck's business card wooing was foreshadowing, too. (Not that she'd start a business with him, but that the idea's been brewing for some time in her mind.) Plus, she has all of that money from her wonderful moment of blackmailing Roger. If the other guys pitched in, I'm sure they'd be able to cover temporary start-up costs. I really hope that blow-up with Don was the final straw for her. She needs to be out from under him in order to fully grow professionally, I think - specifically, in a business of her own where she is seen as the big draw, not just as a "little girl" temporarily running things while her boss is on permanent vacation.

Duck was a mess, but he had a point about maybe starting an agency that focused on feminine products. It would be a way for her to use being a woman to her advantage in the time period, for once.

Decormaven

Decormaven

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 12:22 PM

On Nov. 24, 1966, 169 people die of respiratory failure & heart attack in killer NYC smog. Who's going to succumb at SCDP?

Edited by Decormaven, May 8, 2012 @ 6:22 AM.

YellowJacket

YellowJacket

Couch Potato

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 8:02 PM

On Nov. 24, 1966, 169 people die of respiratory failure & heart attack in killer NYC smog. Who's going to succumb at SCDP?

I never heard of this, do you have a citation so I can go read about it and start obsessing?

I have given up on the previews and episode titles. I think it's just as likely that "Dark Shadows" will feature an appearance by Johnny Depp as anything else I can figure out. You win, MW!

Inquisitionist

Inquisitionist

Stalker

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 8:10 PM

A quick Google search by date and smog in NYC turned up this. There are other sites, but this one actually mentions Mad Men!

DimeStormRing

DimeStormRing

Video Archivist

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 9:10 PM

Deadly smog = dark shadows... I could see that.

Inquisitionist

Inquisitionist

Stalker

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 10:40 PM

The Xfinity description for Dark Shadows carries warnings for Intense Sexual Situation and Strong Coarse Language. The description itself is:

Don's competitive nature comes to the fore; Roger pursues some new clients; Sally is met with a challenge.

CatAstrophic

CatAstrophic

Couch Potato

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 11:51 PM

I wonder if Don cheats again. Simply because none of us expect him to.

Or maybe he pulls a Rhett Butler on Megan. I was worried he was going to during the chasing scene in "Far Away Places." I don't think they'd make the protagonist of the show a full on violent rapist, even if he is an anti-hero in every sense of the word.

fedorafadares

fedorafadares

Couch Potato

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 8:21 AM

Jared Harris mentioned in the March rounds of interviews that he, like everyone else, had a three year contract (including S5).

For those missing the fantastic Jared Harris, he's been busy playing the big baddie on another favorite show of mine, "Fringe" on Fox. Maybe this is old news o this forum, but I love to promote Harris at every opportunity. His range is immense and he's always fun to watch.

rogaine2233

rogaine2233

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 8:24 AM

In the previews, Don is in his bedroom(in an awful reddish shirt) saying to Megan "are you kidding me"? Now of course, with this being "Misdirection Men" (mickbeth), it could be anything, but I'm hoping she is telling him she got a nude part in some off-off-off Broadway production (though of course, Megan does everything well, right? Maybe she got the lead in "Hair"!) or she got a touring company part and she'll be on the road for the better part of a year. LOL

More than likely she told him that the dryer ate all his socks. Or maybe it was in response to the fact that MW paid $250K for "Tomorrow Never Knows". :)

She also looks like she is auditioning (rather woodenly) for some part.

And I'm betting Roger is talking to Joan or Mona when he's asking someone if they are free for dinner.

Edited by rogaine2233, May 8, 2012 @ 9:55 AM.

SueB

SueB

Stalker

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 9:33 AM

More than likely she told him that the dryer ate all his socks.

My favorite prediction and in the direction of accurate.

Decormaven

Decormaven

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 10:28 AM

Maybe Pete will go see this movie.

YellowJacket

YellowJacket

Couch Potato

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 11:03 AM

Just when I think I can stop obsessing and get some work done, I read the article in the New York Times about how much Matthew Weiner et alia had to pay for Tomorrow Never Knows:

NYT

A brilliant person, Emily Viviani, posted that Matt Weiner is following the Sergeant Pepper album with the episodes. It's arond the 25th post. Sgt. Pepper will come out on June 1st, 1967, Don/Dick's birthday.

Here are her interpretations of the episodes:

SIDE ONE

Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band (A Little Kiss,Hour 1)
With a Little Help from My Friends (A Little Kiss, Hour 2)
Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds (Far Away Places)*
Getting Better (Mystery Date)
Fixing a Hole (Signal 30)
She’s Leaving Home (Tea Leaves)*
Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite! (At the Codfish Ball)

SIDE TWO

Within You Without You (Lady Lazarus)
When I’m Sixty-Four (Dark Shadows)
Lovely Rita (Christmas Waltz)
Good Morning, Good Morning (The Other Woman)
Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Heart Club Band (Commissions and Fees)
A Day in the Life (The Phantom)

Edited by YellowJacket, May 8, 2012 @ 11:10 AM.

rogaine2233

rogaine2233

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 11:15 AM

SIDE ONE

Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band (A Little Kiss,Hour 1)
With a Little Help from My Friends (A Little Kiss, Hour 2)
Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds (Far Away Places)*
Getting Better (Mystery Date)
Fixing a Hole (Signal 30)
She’s Leaving Home (Tea Leaves)*
Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite! (At the Codfish Ball)

SIDE TWO

Within You Without You (Lady Lazarus)
When I’m Sixty-Four (Dark Shadows)
Lovely Rita (Christmas Waltz)
Good Morning, Good Morning (The Other Woman)
Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Heart Club Band (Commissions and Fees)
A Day in the Life (The Phantom)

Ok,so expanding a bit (interesting theory!) and Googling since I don't remember all the lyrics in detail:

When I'm Sixty Four: more age-angst?

Lovely Rita: Seems to have special application to Don/Megan on one plane (yuck, as in transcending this obstacle and staying together) and Pete on the another plane (trying to win her).

Good Morning, Good Morning: ugh, really depressing lyrics, IMO. More age angst..nothing to look forward to, life just goes on. I guess this could apply to several characters. Kind of weird that this episode is called "The Other Woman". Doesn't seem to match up to the song as well as some of the others.

Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band: The title of the song here speaks to me more than the lyrics which rolled right into When I'm Sixty Four.

A Day in the Life: Most intense lyrics on side 2! Lots of things addressed here...suicide ( eek again), more daily life grind, and puzzle pieces.

That's just the top line look at the lyrics. I didn't dig too deep..yet.

alynch

alynch

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 1:23 PM

I'm not buying that. It reminds me of how some people thought the final nine Sopranos episodes were supposed to represent the nine circles of hell from Dante's Inferno.

mickbeth

mickbeth

Video Archivist

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 2:36 PM

More than likely she told him that the dryer ate all his socks. Or maybe it was in response to the fact that MW paid $250K for "Tomorrow Never Knows". :)

I think Don was just yelling at a cloud. Kids these days, and their damned doper music.

rogaine2233

rogaine2233

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 3:05 PM

Betty's face looks thin again in the previews. Mother's Little Helpers anyone?

Seyi

Seyi

Couch Potato

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 5:42 PM

Betty's face looks thin again in the previews. Mother's Little Helpers anyone?

I'll be so pissed if the fat Betty episode was just a one-off thing. I think Matt W. know better than that, though.

Inquisitionist

Inquisitionist

Stalker

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 6:28 PM

We last saw Betty in Mystery Date, mid-July, right? We'll pick her up again in November, plenty of time for some weight loss.

rogaine2233

rogaine2233

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 6:32 PM

And in Mystery Date, she seemed visibly slimmer than she was in Tea Leaves.

Riff Randell

Riff Randell

Video Archivist

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 9:07 PM

If it's a Thanksgiving episode, I hope we get to see Peggy's family (unless she's spending the holiday with Abe's, which has just as much delicious awkward potential). I'm hoping for Peg's, though, just because it would be the perfect opportunity for Father Gill to make a cameo. If he's even still a priest. Regardless, I can see him pulling Peggy aside and asking if she knows where he can get some good pot, because his usual guy moved out of town.

SueB

SueB

Stalker

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 12:45 AM

Under the Jared Harris "everything is setup in the first episode", I had a random thought. It was soooo odd for Howard to say he wanted to be dead by Christmas in "A Little Kiss". I mean really -- did we think Pete was going to have slept w/ Howard's wife as we are approaching Christmas?

So...suppose the rest of the "death" metaphor is all about ego death and rebirth/change of the characters and SCDP BUT Howard actually dies. This might tie in with the odd line Pete used:
"under a court of law, it would look like an accident... but it's not". I'm not saying Pete kills Howard -- too Double Indemnity and too soap opera --- but IDK. There it is, random theory-du-jour. Howard is dead by Christmas. Whether by actual responsibility or guilt by knowledge that she wanted him dead, this ends the Pete/Beth affair of the heart.

Anyway you slice it -- too soap opera?

rogaine2233

rogaine2233

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 6:24 AM

Yes, too soap opera, but the way this season has gone so far, I could believe it. Disappointing, too. The Dick/Don double identity thing...brilliantly written. The cheating...yup, went with the territory. Peggy's pregnancy...happened to a lot of young women that way. It was all believable and good, dramatic television.

But this season? An " accidental death" masked as a suicide as part of a pact between two illicit lovers? Yup, that will (unfortunately) fit right in.

Scaramanga

Scaramanga

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 8:20 AM

If the growth was causing even a mildly low thyroide level, medication would indeed have caused Betty to lose weight quickly.

djh

djh

Just Tuned In

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 1:45 PM

the fat suit is not for one episode only.

A Little Edgy

A Little Edgy

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 2:05 PM

I thought Betty's face looked thinner, but not as thin as last season, in the preview. I agree that in Mystery Date, she had already lost some weight, so I would be fine with either still slightly chubby Betty or back-to-her-old-weight Betty. (Actually, I would be finer with back-to-old-weight; I always loved the way Betty dressed, much more than Megan, and would love to see her again in her suburban chic style.)

Either way, I hope her appearance heralds a return to being a full part of the storyline. I miss Betty and especially now would value her as a balance to Megan.

rogaine2233

rogaine2233

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 3:10 PM

Either way, I hope her appearance heralds a return to being a full part of the storyline. I miss Betty and especially now would value her as a balance to Megan.

Word! Sometimes I wonder if Megan got so much airtime because JJ was unavailable. Also, I would like to see Betty and Don have some more scenes together. I know their marriage is finished and they are both moving on (though neither totally happy), but somewhere along the line, the acrimony went away and they seem to have reached not only detente, but some sort of amicable relationship. There is a connection there..there always will be because of the kids, but it feels more than that. I just don't think they are completely 'done'.

BBDi

BBDi

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 3:16 PM

Word! Sometimes I wonder if Megan got so much airtime because JJ was unavailable.

I have thought this too.

oceanblue

oceanblue

Stalker

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 6:13 PM

But there was no promo that said "Megan is back". I'd rather have seen the JJ time go to Peggy or Joan's personal life. We've gotten about the same amount of focus on them as Betty.

SueB

SueB

Stalker

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 1:39 PM

Sometimes I wonder if Megan got so much airtime because JJ was unavailable.

As I mentioned elsewhere, MW said the only casting regret he had was not enough time w/ Trudy due to Allison Brie's commitments.

IF this is true (versus a simplification), then doesn't that imply:
- He's gotten the Betty AND Lane time he wanted?

He was very adamant at Paley Fest that money did not drive casting. That's probably a wee bit of an overstatement. He's a show runner and he has a budget. He makes little calls all the time, but if he wants a character there, he has them there is my opinion.

Which brings me to wonder if some of the character emphasis, if not financially driven, is influenced by the guarantee of a S6 with S7 likely. So, he doesn't have to tell Lane's story in detail, he'll save that for next year and maybe Pete is either gone or less prominent. I know he's said he doesn't have the ending plotted out but I do sense more breathing space.

For this upcoming episode I notice that both Harry and Peggy are in the conference room when talking about "promises" (empty or otherwise). And Joan saying "it's something to talk about". I just can't help but think this episode has some discussion of the 3 year contract ending. I know I will be disappointed if the season ends without that discussion.