TWoP Mars

TWoP Moderator

Posted Aug 29, 2007 @ 11:38 PM

Talk about spoilers here.

Fisher King

Fisher King

Fanatic

Posted Aug 31, 2007 @ 2:01 AM

Go to amctv.com for extended preview video.

Ep. 108
~Don gets a pay bonus and asks Midge to go to Paris with him - now.
~Pete and Peggy are in an elevator together. He explains that he will be out of the office most of the day as she is dressed up to present her copy to the lipstick rep. Pete doesn't hesitate to tell her he really disliked her ideas.
IMO, he's getting ready to present it as his idea.
~The new girl at the agency is introduced to Sal - she appears to be instantly smitten.

Edited by Fisher King, Aug 31, 2007 @ 2:05 AM.

maybetomorrow

maybetomorrow

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 31, 2007 @ 4:00 AM

Sal appears to be a character in the upcoming episode (and I can't wait), we also got a scene in the preview of him at dinner with another man, saying that he's not happy.

Bryan Bratt said in The Advocate that he would love for Sal to get married, because that's what closeted men did in those days. He may be getting his wish with the new girl.

Jon Hamm was in Kimmel last night and said the season finale includes a war flashback (as Jon actually broke his right hand filming a combat scene). I concluded it's the season finale as he broke his smoking hand, but he told Kimmel there's only one scene where he smokes with his left hand and is hiding his right behind his back (as it was in a cast). So they must've film the "elaborate" (in Hamm's words) war flashback very close to the end of the season's filming if the broken hand didn't really interfere with any other scenes.

Fisher King

Fisher King

Fanatic

Posted Aug 31, 2007 @ 9:57 AM

Thank you for that info, maybe!

I'm not sure we can post links to YouTube unless they are posted by the copyright owner of the clip, but I did type in Jon Hamm and watched the clip interview on Kimmel.

Edited by Fisher King, Aug 31, 2007 @ 10:31 AM.

Suzako

Suzako

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 31, 2007 @ 10:40 AM

Pete and Peggy are in an elevator together. He explains that he will be out of the office most of the day as she is dressed up to present her copy to the lipstick rep. Pete doesn't hesitate to tell her he really disliked her ideas.

I watched the clip and this isn't what the scene seemed like to me. It seemed like Pete was being made to stay out of the office for a domestic task (watching the movers move his stuff) and he mentions "watching people work", meaning he would rather be working. And then there's Peggy who is excited because her Work will be presented that day. Pete's reaction seems to be jealousy that Peggy is doing Work and he's going to be stuck at home.

It didn't seem like Pete would have an opportunity to steal her ideas, since the presentation was that day, it meant she had already turned in her copy work.

Suzako

Suzako

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 31, 2007 @ 10:40 AM

oops, double post!

Edited by Suzako, Aug 31, 2007 @ 10:40 AM.

Fisher King

Fisher King

Fanatic

Posted Aug 31, 2007 @ 11:46 AM

I'm sure you're correct, Suzako.
Guess I was reading more than what's there because I just don't trust Pete.

TWoP Mars

TWoP Mars

TWoP Moderator

Posted Aug 31, 2007 @ 2:28 PM

I'm not sure we can post links to YouTube unless they are posted by the copyright owner of the clip, but I did type in Jon Hamm and watched the clip interview on Kimmel.

This rule has been clarified, and you CAN post YouTube videos, for the most part.

However, promos and media mentions aren't spoilers, so that stuff can be talked about in the Media and/or Speculation without spoilers threads. If you're curious about what is and is not a spoiler, the FAQ explains it in detail. And you can ask me for any further clarification in the Mod questions/announcements thread.

That said, if there's anything spoilery in discussion and you're talking about that in relation to the promos and/or interview stuff, you may talk about that here. Thanks!

Edited by TWoP Mars, Aug 31, 2007 @ 2:31 PM.

sunworshipper

sunworshipper

Fanatic

Posted Aug 31, 2007 @ 7:05 PM

From TV.com:

Episode 8: The Hobo Code
Don's past comes back to haunt him; success becomes a problem for Peggy's relationship with her co-workers; Salvatore bonds with a client.

Episode 9: Shoot
Betty is used by a rival ad agency to try to hire Don. Peggy is sought after by two romantic rivals. The agency tries to spruce up their Nixon presidential campaign endeavoring to counteract a successful Kennedy ad.

Episode 10: Long Weekend
No description.

No mention of Rachel. Bah! I have little interest in Peggy -- she's weird even in the 60s.

Update from my TiVo for The Hobo Code:

Don is tormented by his past; Peggy's success threatens her relationship; Salvatore gets too close to a client.

Same three items phrased differently. But Salvatore's "bonding" [good] becomes "too close" [bad].

Edited by sunworshipper, Aug 31, 2007 @ 7:19 PM.

maybetomorrow

maybetomorrow

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 31, 2007 @ 9:02 PM

I'm guessing the client Sal gets "too close" to is the man we see him chatting to at dinner in the previews. Perhaps a flirtation or affair with his male client sends Sal panicking into the arms of the new office girl who has a crush on him.

Moniker

Moniker

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 31, 2007 @ 11:46 PM

I think that's a very good theory. Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.

loosechick

loosechick

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 3, 2007 @ 8:13 AM

Seems to negate the idea that Pete steals her ideas as his own if Peggy does become successful - unless he does steal her ideas but gets busted and it is ultimately discovered that they were Peggy's ideas. I think we are meant to be thinking Pete will do her wrong on this, but won't actually do so.

Moniker

Moniker

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 4, 2007 @ 1:09 PM

I thought the theory floated in the last episode thread was right on -- that the guy who assigned her the project would present her work as his own but Pete would end up calling him on it, not only to "rescue" Peggy but also to one up or have leverage on his own competition.

Suzako

Suzako

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 7, 2007 @ 9:35 AM

I can't get the extended preview on AMC's website to work. Can anyone tell me what it shows?

Thanks!

cette1965

cette1965

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 7, 2007 @ 11:20 AM

Suzako, it shows an executive from a large agency apparently trying to recruit Don (they appear to be a Broadway show during intermission). As part of the exec's pitch he asked Betty to do some modeling. Betty recounts this to the pregnant neighbor and reveals that she did once do some modeling. The guys in the office discuss Peggy's weight gain.

Some has speculated that Peggy is pregnant, but I wonder if Peggy's response to Pete's hunting fantasy is a clue. She sublimated her desire with food. Maybe she is doing more of the same after Pete's rejection?

Suzako

Suzako

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 7, 2007 @ 11:31 PM

Thanks, cette1965!

I think the modeling explains a lot about Betty. Maybe that's how she met Don?

Moniker

Moniker

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 8, 2007 @ 12:03 AM

Maybe that's how she met Don?

That's exactly what I thought, especially after the comment to Lois about being in the office for a casting. It would make sense if Don and Betty met when she was cast in one of his ads.

Nouvelle Fille

Nouvelle Fille

Fanatic

Posted Sep 13, 2007 @ 10:25 PM

Question about next week's preview: Is that Midge or Rachel opening the apartment door to Don?

AnansiGirl

AnansiGirl

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 13, 2007 @ 10:29 PM

Question about next week's preview: Is that Midge or Rachel opening the apartment door to Don?

I'm pretty sure it's Rachel.

DarkVamp70

DarkVamp70

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 13, 2007 @ 10:48 PM

Glad Rachel is returning!

AnansiGirl

AnansiGirl

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 13, 2007 @ 11:01 PM

Speaking of next week's preview, I practically fell over when they showed that clip of Sterling with the two women. Are they actually sisters? Maybe it's just some kind of roleplaying. Either way it made him look like an even bigger sleaze then before, almost outright misogynistic. I'm really starting ot dislike his character, despite his humor and quick wit.

Shotrock

Shotrock

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 14, 2007 @ 12:30 AM

And speaking of Rachel: I was wondering about John Slattery's CV so I meandered over to his bio on IMDB where they link to photos of the MM premiere party. The gang's all there, but guess who shows up in one of the photos? Jeff Goldblum. I'm thinking that Mr. Beatnik isn't the last rival Don will have to deal with when it comes to his extra-curricular lady friends.

Dregel00X

Dregel00X

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 15, 2007 @ 3:47 AM

Just a vague idea. In the next episode we see Pete Campbell and Don speak to eachother in a civil but kick-below-the-waist-way, about someone being unsatisfied with Donīs work. (At least Don seems to keep his manner. Pete has none, but I knew that already)
Don loses the account. A later episode reveals that Don get praise for some account and that Pete getīs frustrated over it.
What if it will turn out that Don steals Peteīs work? Or something Don lured Pete to work together on? Not the opposite as at least I always have believed?
I think Don starting to recognise that there is something more to Pete than just a familyname.
The show have been really surprising this far. I never guessed wrong so many times. I just made the connection watching the videos and small spoilers on the AMC-site.
But I guess I am wrong about this as well.

unclewiggly

unclewiggly

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 16, 2007 @ 3:44 PM

Pete Campbell and Don speak to eachother in a civil but kick-below-the-waist-way, about someone being unsatisfied with Donīs work...

The account in question is with Dr. Scholl's. I think this is definitely a ramping up of the rivalry between Don's old-school sensibility/tactics and Pete's more new-era intuition. Dr. Scholl's brand (and Dr. Scholl himself) was an advertising innovator -- they were among the first big-name brands to incorporate humor in its marketing campaigns (their motto was "Early to bed, early to rise, work like hell and advertise"), and obviously Don's dry, straight-forward approach doesn't work for them. He reveals his lack of foresight with his derisive comment about their "exercise sandal" and "don't they know summer's over?" -- he doesn't realize that in another ten years, every woman in the country is going to own a pair and be wearing them practically year-round. :)

I think you might be on to something Dregel -- I think Don is the first person at S&C who is beginning to understand and appreciate Pete's ability to read the zeitgeist correctly, and I think it bugs the hell out of him that he hasn't got (or has lost) that knack.

But would Don stoop to plagerism...? I'm not sure yet.

Edited by unclewiggly, Sep 17, 2007 @ 11:26 AM.

Dregel00X

Dregel00X

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 17, 2007 @ 4:10 AM

But would Don stoop to plagerism...? I'm not sure yet.

Me neither. Everything surprises me about this show. I just canīt figure it out.
Now, after finally be able to watch "shoot". I more wondering what Don think of Roger/Pete. Roger seems to want to push Pete out the window. Don, maybe, because this whole show is a big maybe, start to appreciate Peteīs ideas. A bit.
But I donīt think anyone is above hurting someone else to get where they want. Especially if they feel they are being obliged.

Edited by Dregel00X, Sep 17, 2007 @ 4:12 AM.

Dregel00X

Dregel00X

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 18, 2007 @ 3:25 PM

Vincent. K (Pete) have said in a recent interview that he is seaching for another role.

This makes me want to pull out my hair and run around in circles screaming. Iīm to old to be a fan.

kiwibaby9

kiwibaby9

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 18, 2007 @ 4:16 PM

Vincent. K (Pete) have said in a recent interview that he is seaching for another role.

This makes me want to pull out my hair and run around in circles screaming. Iīm to old to be a fan.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! This statement had better be unrelated to Mad Men. Perhaps he's talking about movie roles. He does have a film playing the Festival circuits.

Nouvelle Fille

Nouvelle Fille

Fanatic

Posted Sep 18, 2007 @ 4:52 PM

Just noticed this bit from the AMC summary of "The Long Weekend" (1.10)"

Meanwhile, Joan has a night out on the town with her roommate.

Interesting.

lilarose6

lilarose6

Fanatic

Posted Sep 18, 2007 @ 7:15 PM

That doesn't mean that Kartheiser is looking to dump his role in "Mad Men." A 13 episode season leaves an actor a lot of free time, plus he doesn't know whether or not MM will be renewed. He's just looking to stay busy and work. He's probably looking for an indie film role or some stage work. Vincent's just covering his bases. He has to. Actors aren't guaranteed work.

Grom

Grom

Fanatic

Posted Sep 18, 2007 @ 7:44 PM

I think they only shoot for about 6 months so VK has lots of free time until the 2nd season starts (E! just reported on the pickup)