Peggy Olson: Blinding us with Earnestness

• Please log in to reply

1155 replies to this topic

Sister Magpie

Sister Magpie

Fanatic

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 10:05 AM

Yes, and she's always said she wants to do what Don and Peggy do--she also was very impressed with Peggy last season when she noted that she had both a man and a career. I think she has seen herself as wanting to 'be' Peggy without really knowing what that meant, which is possibly a bit of why she was interested in Don, since she sees the two of them as a team.

And then in this ep Peggy is genuinely happy for her and reveals something about how she felt in the same situation (while also noting that she didn't get all the fanfare Megan gets in it) and Peggy winds up clearly confused about why Megan isn't happy. She thinks it's about finding the right pitch, but the right pitch hasn't made Megan feel like she imagined it felt to be Peggy. Also Peggy, for all her close relationship to Don, and for all she looks up to and relies on his guidance at work, isn't about Don. She does occasionally manage him, like during his downward spiral last year, and she stayed with him in The Suitcase, but their relationship is totally not like Don/Megan.

CatAstrophic

CatAstrophic

Couch Potato

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 5:44 PM

Because Peggy is "an extension of" Don. I mean that metaphorically, not in the sense where it is Don's right to control her (as he probably meant when he said it). Peggy doesn't want to be with Don, she wants to be Don. And Don is completely on board with that, even through his current indifference, to the extent that he lets Peggy all but take his position while he was on love leave (though she ultimately failed at being him). So it makes sense that Megan can have meaningful scenes with Peggy, especially if the idea that we are only supposed to see the Megan that Don sees is true.

Tafatia

Tafatia

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 11:27 AM

One thing that has been niggling at me about the character of Peggy is that I suspect that Weiner did not have much of a storyline for her, nor interest in her, after the baby reveal in season two. There are things about her family life that just don't add up, not that that is unheard of, but there should be a quantity of narrative and exposition that she light on those contradictions, but with Peggy's character development and backstory is a patchwork of one off scenes.

During season two Peggy remained her mother's golden child despite giving birth out of wedlock. Her mother bragged to the priest about Peggy's job in Manhattan while her "good sister" seethed with resentment. Then in season three when Peggy tells her family that she is moving to Manhattan, her mother doesn't take it well and predicts that she will get raped, and it is her sister who backs up Peggy. Now Peggy wants to move in with Abe, and her mother reacts badly, but not out of moral outrage rather because Peggy is settling. Again, I am not saying that these scenes could not happen, but I think that there are leaps that we are taking that we should not have to in terms of Peggy's character make up and family dynamics.

Edited by Tafatia, May 6, 2012 @ 11:31 AM.

Blue32

Blue32

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 1:00 PM

I hear what you're saying, Tafatia, but for me, at least, the less we see of Peggy's appalling family, the better.

I do want to give Abe the benefit of the doubt and I'm loath to take Peggy's mother's dire warning about Abe using Peggy for practice before he marries another girl, but this episode featured characters being dealt some harsh truths. Megan is reminded by her father that she compromised her dreams and that she relinquished her ambitions in order to fast-forward to a luxurious marriage with Don. Don is told that the industry types will never work with him again due to the letter. If any kind of symmetry applies, then Peggy's mother is also correct in that Abe has no long-term intentions for his relationship with Peggy and is indeed using her for practice.

Edited by Blue32, May 6, 2012 @ 1:02 PM.

Tafatia

Tafatia

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 1:11 PM

this episode featured characters being dealt some harsh truths. Megan is reminded by her father that she compromised her dreams and that she relinquished her ambitions in order to fast-forward to a luxurious marriage with Don. Don is told that the industry types will never work with him again due to the letter. If any kind of symmetry applies, then Peggy's mother is also correct in that Abe has no long-term intentions for his relationship with Peggy and is indeed using her for practice.

This is not particularly heartening to me as I am starting to wonder if there is no real a vision for the Peggy character, rather the writers come up with "situations" for her that fit into the theme of the week.

Edited by Tafatia, May 6, 2012 @ 1:13 PM.

Mariagonerlj

Mariagonerlj

Couch Potato

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 11:23 PM

God did I love watching Peggy kick ass at work in Lady Lazarus this year. She's been a hell of a lot patient than most people (including myself!) would be at having to work with the boss' wife who gets more accolades with one idea than she's gotten through 5+ years at Don's side but I loved her bottled up anger pour over in this episode. Even when she does her best with Megan-- and I fully believe she's counseled, supervised, and trained Megan 100 times more than Don has or the other guys in the office could be bothered to-- she gets shat on by Don for Megan's flighty decisions. I was cheering Peggy on when she snapped at Don and told him not to take his anger out on her when she did nothing to provoke it!

Meanwhile, what does everyone think is up with the conversation Peggy had with Joan? (And I love the fact that Peggy and Joan are more in cahoots than ever-- the one great thing that came from the disaster that was Tomorrowland, in my books! I'd pay to watch a spin-off just about them snarking on all the idiots around them.) Do you think Peggy was serious when she said that Megan is just one of those girls that can do it all? (Love that Joan said that was all the more reason to hate her, btw. I'm betting Joan has definite thoughts on "second wives" right around now.) Does that make Peggy feel inadequate and even more under-appreciated than she was previously? If so, I'm proud that Peggy was able to be as magnanimous as she was already-- she carried herself with a lot of dignity this episode!

Inquisitionist

Inquisitionist

Stalker

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 11:33 PM

In the scene with Megan in the ladies' room, Peggy/EM sounded exactly the way she did telling off Allison after the focus group in The Rejected. That was cool.

Mariagonerlj

Mariagonerlj

Couch Potato

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 11:48 PM

Also, forgot to add: look at the amazing turn-around in Peggy from episode 1 of this season to episode 8! She began the season practically cowering before Megan when Megan throws that hissy fit after her cabaret dance at Don's surprise party backfired in various ways, and ends it by telling not just Megan but Don off. And then having Don take it! I wonder if this will lead Peggy to realize that she doesn't have to take Don's shit endlessly anymore... and in fact, in some ways, she's even more indispensable to SDCP than Don?

Don might still be the head honcho of creative but his name has become poison to some but she's practically heading the department while Don moseys along down the road of complete creative detachment from the world around him. (Notice the one thing Don was asked to do in this episode proactively-- do the little song-and-dance with Peggy about Miracle Whip-- he completely screwed up on due to his own personal issues with Megan. Seriously, what does this man even do in the office anymore?)

I honestly believe that if Don left, the firm would go through a panicked few months but could potentially recover. But if Peggy left-- they'd be permanently sunk. What do you think? Is she truly indispensable to the firm now? To the point of being even more important than Don?

CatAstrophic

CatAstrophic

Couch Potato

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 3:29 AM

What other character could talk to Don like that and not suffer almost immediate consequences (if there were repercussions for Peggy they would have shown them immediately back at the office). Roger, Burt, and Betty to a degree.

Riff Randell

Riff Randell

Video Archivist

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 4:02 AM

Peggy absolutely stole the show tonight.

"PIZZA HOUSE!" and "Are you a really good skier? Like, famous?", and, of course, "I'm not the one you're mad at, so SHUT UP." (Especially since he did.)

Her "I can't lie to him" line re: Don really struck me as an important truth about their relationship. Also a line that made very telling why Don chose to marry Megan over someone like Faye, or even Peggy. Megan can tell sweet lies, then sweetly apologize. Women like Faye and Peggy are direct and adult and encourage facing harsh truths in order to grow as a person.

I really love her relationship with Megan, and hope they do go for their own lunch. She really was her biggest defender at work, not Don.

I found it interesting that although Don is Creative Director in title, Peggy's the one that the boys really listen to - snapping to attention when she told them to listen to Megan, looking properly chastened when she glares at them (well, Stan) for mocking her.

If Peggy and Ken do eventually leave SCDP together, I'm not so sure there's going to be anyone left in the creative department aside from Don. I'm getting the feeling that if given the choice, Stan and Ginsberg would both pick Peggy as their Creative Director over him any day. He's old, he can't tell the Beatles apart from a thirty-year-old group, he steamrolls their opinions in favor of his wife's. (Looks like the honeymoon period's wearing off regarding Ginsberg and Don, anyhow.) Don had better hope Peggy finds a reason to stay. Megan's gone, love leave's over, and he has to try patching up his many broken work relationships at the company before it's too late and the boat sinks entirely.

Cherith

Cherith

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 8:45 AM

Peggy was so awesome this episode. It has been a great season for her as far as blossoming into a funny awesome woman.

Don. I'm getting the feeling that if given the choice, Stan and Ginsberg would both pick Peggy as their Creative Director over him any day.

I am not sure about Ginsberg but I think Stan obviously sees Peggy as the real boss/authority there. Don is someone they give lip service to, someone who sits in meetings, and someone who occassionally shoots down ideas but never chips in with ideas of his own. The creative team at Sterling Cooper were terrified of Don. They would wait around in conference rooms for hours for him to show up. They would run when he called. At SCDP he is something of an intimidating joke. Stan and Ginsberg snap to attention for Peggy not Don.

I think Ginsberg is his own man and a wild card. But he clearly has some respect for Peggy and I don't think he has any for Don, at this point.

Meanwhile, what does everyone think is up with the conversation Peggy had with Joan? (And I love the fact that Peggy and Joan are more in cahoots than ever-- the one great thing that came from the disaster that was Tomorrowland, in my books! I'd pay to watch a spin-off just about them snarking on all the idiots around them.) Do you think Peggy was serious when she said that Megan is just one of those girls that can do it all? (Love that Joan said that was all the more reason to hate her, btw. I'm betting Joan has definite thoughts on "second wives" right around now.)

I think Joan said that was all the more reason to be hard on her not hate her (in response to Peggy saying she was too hard on her), which I think reflects the way Joan treated Peggy. The fact that she was smart and talented meant Joan was more tough on her.

I think Peggy was 100% serious about Megan being one of those girls (I don't think the show is). I think both she and Don are people who grew up insecure and had to fight hard to figure out who they wanted to be and how to be that person. I don't even mean just work oppurtonities. And so they tend to be in awe of people who seem to effortlessly have it. The thing with Joan is she is really one of those girls. She is naturally gifted and good at everything she has ever done. As far as we have seen, at least. But she didn't have ambition to do much other than be a doctor's wife (until recently). So, Joan doesn't get the awe and she sees Megan as a fake. To her any pretty girl could be Megan. She doesn't see a difference between Megan and Jane. Because from her POV everything Megan has done is something she herself could do ten times over at her age (I don't think she consciously thinks that but she doesn't have Don/Dick or Peggy's insecurity on that front even if she has other issues).

Edited by Cherith, May 7, 2012 @ 8:52 AM.

BBDi

BBDi

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 9:30 AM

I think this season has given Peggy a lot to think about--whether she can balance her work with her life, realizing that while her job means almost everything to her it doesn't mean much to other people (ie, Megan), and how much she can and should take when she's being unfairly blamed for stuff that Don has fucked up. Being let down by Don repeatedly. What she really wants from Abe. Lots of stuff. And so far, it's been mostly swirling around in her head. I think she began this season feeling fairly complacent and happy with things in her life, and now she needs to re-assess a bit. Does she even want to live with Abe, for example? Does she want to stay at SDCP with its dysfunctionality and relative lack of opportunity? If Peggy's job isn't good enough for Megan, is it still good enough for Peggy's dream, or will she have a Heinz Beans moment?

We've had the conversation before on other threads I think that advertising is exactly the right fit for some people, and for others (eg, Ken or Megan) it's just a job. I think that if Peggy takes time to realize that it really is what she wants to do (and I believe it is) than she might be better off doing it elsewhere.

Sister Magpie

Sister Magpie

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 12:16 PM

I sort of loved Joan's comment about how it was better to be hard on Megan if everything came easy, because I totally think it's the truth. Peggy is a better copywriter because she puts in the work. That's always necessary, whether you have the effortless competance of a Joan or a Megan or not. And frankly, I think Peggy was somewhat right when she told Megan to "not give up."

I mean, yes, she didn't get that Megan just didn't like it and would rather do something else. But Megan had given up on acting too. Peggy's advice is good and it's the thing that Megan doesn't really have. But Joan does, because Joan's stuck with things and she's I think even learned a bit about how it's important.

Mariagonerlj

Mariagonerlj

Couch Potato

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 12:35 PM

We've had the conversation before on other threads I think that advertising is exactly the right fit for some people, and for others (eg, Ken or Megan) it's just a job. I think that if Peggy takes time to realize that it really is what she wants to do (and I believe it is) than she might be better off doing it elsewhere.

ITA. Peggy seems to genuinely love and get satisfaction out of her job, even if she apparently doesn't have Megan sense of "artistic integrity," or whatever Matt Weiner was blathering about in the latest Inside Mad Men's Lady Lazarus video, where he gave Megan a tongue-bath. But at this point, she'd be better off jumping ship from SDCP. Don told Megan that 20 other ad agencies would be glad to have her after Megan had one good campaign idea that sprung from her brow like Athena from Zeus. Imagine how good Peggy's prospects at other places must be, even discounting Duck trying to woo her away in earlier seasons! She's gotten good at standing up against Don's attempts to use her as an emotional punching-bag but she shouldn't have to put up with it at all. And in fact, if this wasn't a tv show with her as the second lead actress (Megan pretty much having gobbled the majority of the leading actress screen-time this year), she probably would have done just that.

I sort of loved Joan's comment about how it was better to be hard on Megan if everything came easy, because I totally think it's the truth. Peggy is a better copywriter because she puts in the work. That's always necessary, whether you have the effortless competence of a Joan or a Megan or not. And frankly, I think Peggy was somewhat right when she told Megan to "not give up."

Great point. Peggy might have to work a lot harder than Megan because Peggy is not the writers' pet this season but Peggy has the grit to stick to a job even when it stops being "fun" and starts being a lot more about late-nights smoking MJ while you wait for inspiration to hit. That's what makes her such a good copy-writer and a real artist in her own way. She's creative but she's not necessarily always inspired-- rather, she's creative because of her hard work and the toil she puts in.

I know Peggy can be kind of a mess emotionally but I love her character completely. Out of everyone on this show, I feel for her most of all and I love cheering on her successes!

Wiendish Fitch

Wiendish Fitch

Couch Potato

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 9:18 PM

Show of hands: Who screamed "you tell 'im, girl!" when Peggy put Don in his place and told him to shut up?! Good for you, Peggy! I also hope Peggy takes her business to an agency that actually appreciates her.

I've said it before and I'll say it again... I admire Peggy because she works her ass off to get what she wants. So she's not the prettiest or the best-dressed girl in the room? Who cares? What does that matter? I have a hell of a lot more respect for people with a rock-solid work ethic than flighty morons who float through life.

Riff Randell

Riff Randell

Video Archivist

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 6:44 PM

Pure speculation, but I'm now wondering if the reason Peggy was so affected by Stan's Heinz comment is because she had the self-realization that she's so unfulfilled in her personal life that she's been trying to compensate by devoting herself 150% (40% more than usual) to the job in order to make up for it. Sure, she loves advertising, she loves what she does, but something's still missing from her life. She's realizing that she needs both professional and personal success, and Abe is still not cutting it, whether he's filling the loneliness gap or not. (Plus, she's pulling extra all-nighters at work in what seems like an effort to avoid him.) I hope she either manages to assert herself and break up with him for good, or they have an amiable mutual parting (although I don't see the latter happening at this point).

Something that's been bothering me this season is the constant reference to Peggy's looks/"dowdiness", especially since she seems to internalize every comment about it, whether it's aimed directly at her or not. Joan's comment about "the kind of girl" that Don marries seemed to really unnerve her. And even though Stan was clearly joking, his "He's too good-looking for you" comment about Abe seemed to affect her a bit, too. When Don tells her she's threatened by Megan, it's possible he just meant professionally, but I felt there was more to it - that because Megan is conventionally attractive and Peggy's not considered at the same "level", she'd automatically be jealous of her for that, too. Peggy should've decked him for that comment.

WaltzinSpringTm

WaltzinSpringTm

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 11:42 AM

Moss was just brilliant in Lady Lazarus - the highlight of the SCDP-based stuff. In that test kitchen exchange with Hamm she conveyed an entire storyline and an entire relationship - the stilted fake relationship, the affectionate, natural, unforced real relationship, the history, the frustration/impatience in the moment AND her character's personality. She also has gorgeous eyes - almost distracting in that scene. I loved "Just try it already." I loved the impatience underneath and her attempt to cajole layered over AND the awareness the client is in the room and how she got across somehow that her inability to pick up on "taste" versus "try" was because she was impatient/frustrated with Don. She is so freaking specific and so good and none of it feels academic;it's all organic. Hamm managed to convey the same things. I know they're all pros, but the comfort level of the actors really does affect performance, IMO, and Moss has something that makes other actors comfortable. She pulls it out of Pare, too, pulls out a more expressive physicality for one thing, and more focused choices and unforced reactions.

Edited by WaltzinSpringTm, May 9, 2012 @ 11:43 AM.

BBDi

BBDi

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 12:01 PM

In that test kitchen exchange with Hamm she conveyed an entire storyline and an entire relationship - the stilted fake relationship, the affectionate, natural, unforced real relationship, the history, the frustration/impatience in the moment AND her character's personality. She also has gorgeous eyes - almost distracting in that scene. I loved "Just try it already." I loved the impatience underneath and her attempt to cajole layered over AND the awareness the client is in the room and how she got across somehow that her inability to pick up on "taste" versus "try" was because she was impatient/frustrated with Don.

This scene was also so well-written, but you are right, EM owned it, along with JH. It did kind of sum of their relationship so well. Of course, Peggy is not perfect and I imagine she brought her own issues to the conversation, but she nailed Don on his stuff so well. And of course, we saw her annoyance with Don building throughout this episode.

rogaine2233

rogaine2233

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 12:14 PM

Moss was just brilliant in Lady Lazarus - the highlight of the SCDP-based stuff. In that test kitchen exchange with Hamm she conveyed an entire storyline and an entire relationship - the stilted fake relationship, the affectionate, natural, unforced real relationship, the history, the frustration/impatience in the moment AND her character's personality. She also has gorgeous eyes - almost distracting in that scene. I loved "Just try it already." I loved the impatience underneath and her attempt to cajole layered over AND the awareness the client is in the room and how she got across somehow that her inability to pick up on "taste" versus "try" was because she was impatient/frustrated with Don. She is so freaking specific and so good and none of it feels academic;it's all organic. Hamm managed to convey the same things. I know they're all pros, but the comfort level of the actors really does affect performance, IMO, and Moss has something that makes other actors comfortable. She pulls it out of Pare, too, pulls out a more expressive physicality for one thing, and more focused choices and unforced reactions.

I agree she really shined in this episode. You can see how she establishes chemistry in every scene she's got since we first met her in the pilot. And though I've publicly stated that I think Hamm is also a great actor and I do think a lot of Don's blandness is being played that way by him on purpose, you can see that when he has a scene like this one with Moss, bland!Don or not, he really hits the notes. As checked out as Don's been this season, in that moment...for a fleeting moment..., Peggy brought him back; you could see it in his face.

IMO, Hamm is doing ok compensating for what I believe to be a huge void (LOL) in Pare's acting ability, but he's not quite as adept as Moss is in pulling the scene out of her. So that's why IMO, Don and Megan often fall flat when we see them together. And since he has WAY more scenes with Pare than anyone else, I do think it's affected the show.

Jenn

Jenn

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 2:34 PM

Something that's been bothering me this season is the constant reference to Peggy's looks/"dowdiness", especially since she seems to internalize every comment about it, whether it's aimed directly at her or not.

I think Peggy's never felt like she was one of the 'pretty girls'. Plus, now that she's effectively 'one of the boys' at work, she possibly questions her own femininity. For her, women like Joan and Megan are special, different - despite Joan's attempts to convince her otherwise.

Mariagonerlj

Mariagonerlj

Couch Potato

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 2:53 PM

Yes, I thought it was both sweet and funny that she was shocked-- shocked!-- to learn that Joan could ever have been dumped by a man. I'm actually curious about how much Peggy knows about Joan's marital situation... Joan told her last episode that Greg had chosen the military over her, which seemed to discomfort Peggy considerably. (Possibly because Peggy was realizing that it could most definitely happen to her if it could happen even to Joan.)

Do you figure that Peggy knows anything about Joan definitely leaving her husband? And how would she act if she found out? I really love Joan and Peggy's more comfortable office relationship, so I like to think that if Peggy knew, she'd do her best to react to the situation with sensitivity.

(Though even I'll admit that Peggy's social skills are... uh... uneven at best. But she'd have the best intentions, surely!)

Fantastic post. Elizabeth Moss could have chemistry with an unplugged lamp and since Jessica Pare's only a bit more charismatic than the aforementioned object, it's truly a wonder to see how much the two of them spark off each other. Plus, she manages even to get Don-- who's been practically neutered in terms of his work this season-- to react and show a bit of passion for something other than his wife, even if it backfired on poor Peggy in that instant. EM totally deserves accolades for her work this year. I just hope her decreased screen-time due to Megadon's continued domination of the season doesn't bump her down to "best supporting actress" categories anytime soon. She's doing so much with so little that she's still a lead of the show in my eyes.

Edited by Mariagonerlj, May 9, 2012 @ 2:56 PM.

izabella

izabella

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 8:22 PM

Sure, she loves advertising, she loves what she does, but something's still missing from her life. She's realizing that she needs both professional and personal success, and Abe is still not cutting it, whether he's filling the loneliness gap or not. (Plus, she's pulling extra all-nighters at work in what seems like an effort to avoid him.) I hope she either manages to assert herself and break up with him for good, or they have an amiable mutual parting (although I don't see the latter happening at this point).

I agree with you. Abe doesn't capture her imagination. He'll never work for Peggy long-term, and their relationship isn't fulfilling her now. She hasn't been putting a lot of herself into their relationship, isn't getting much from it, yet agreed to move in with him and was thinking marriage.

I wish I knew what Peggy meant when she said it took a lot of guts for Megan to...to do what? Leave copy writing at her husband's firm? Go back into acting? "Live her dream?" Give up on and let go of something she doesn't really want?

Edited by izabella, May 9, 2012 @ 8:23 PM.

rogaine2233

rogaine2233

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 8:15 AM

Guts to stand up to Don?

izabella

izabella

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 9:11 AM

Guts to stand up to Don?

I thought about that, but it doesn't seem that Peggy herself is fearful of standing up to Don anymore. But maybe she didn't think Megan had it in her to do so.

Sister Magpie

Sister Magpie

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 9:25 AM

I thought about that, but it doesn't seem that Peggy herself is fearful of standing up to Don anymore. But maybe she didn't think Megan had it in her to do so

I loved that EM's delivery had that same hesitation she often uses when speaking about Megan, like she's not sure herself of what she's saying but she thinks it's the right thing.

If Peggy were to quit SCDP to pursue acting it would take guts, but I think even she doubted that it was as big of a deal for Megan. It looks like a risk, but it's not so much if the biggest problem was telling Don the truth. I think Peggy was also giving herself a hard time in the ep. She defended herself against Don's accusation of being mean to Megan (we've specifically seen Peggy be very supportive of Megan) but she felt guilty herself and wondered if she was being "too harsh" by calling Megan to task for what she was doing. So I think she was also seeing herself as a sort of ogre that Megan had to face by admitting she was leaving when Peggy had come down on her like a hammer about not loving her job.

Mariagonerlj

Mariagonerlj

Couch Potato

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 1:38 PM

I'm so curious about what's been going on with Peggy's decreased output at work at the time of Dark Shadows! I wasn't surprised at all to see that Don's had diminished down to practically nothing... but what on earth could be affecting Peggy so much? Is it burn-out? Is it her having her energy sucked out by Don's negativity? Or is it problems with Abe that keeps her at work for longer but makes her distracted enough to not have much to contribute? I'm getting worried for her and her position as second-in-command to Don now. Much as I like Ginsberg, I don't want Stan's prediction that he'll eventually outshine her to come true!

And I wonder why Peggy didn't intervene with Ginsberg and warn him to back off on having pissing matches with Don that ol' Ginzo clearly couldn't win? Did she think it was not her business? Was she actually secretly happy to see Ginsberg sabotage himself, since he's her main competition now? Or did she try earlier and then realize that she couldn't change him for better or worse anyway? I found it strange that both she and Stan acknowledged that Ginsberg was done for the day after he threw his temper-tantrum about Don ignoring his work, but she didn't follow him or try to mollify him in any way. That's certainly very different from how much of an interventionist she was with Megan!

Blue Nocturne

Blue Nocturne

Couch Potato

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 1:45 PM

I'm so curious about what's been going on with Peggy's decreased output at work at the time of Dark Shadows! I wasn't surprised at all to see that Don's had diminished down to practically nothing... but what on earth could be affecting Peggy so much?

I thought that's what the line about Heniz was about--Peggy was basically the dedicated copywriter to this major account, therefore a lot of the other smaller accounts fell by the wayside.

Plus she also unofficially became the dedicated copywriter to Mohawk, another time consuming account. From what I remember about Mohawk, it was mostly pedestrian weekly circular stuff that really wouldn't impress the NY Times people.

CatAstrophic

CatAstrophic

Couch Potato

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 1:52 PM

In addition to all of that, Peggy was also doing Don's job in regards to managing the creative department and planning and leading pitches. For however long Don was in his lavender haze (what, a year now?) Peggy was essentially Creative Director.

Mariagonerlj

Mariagonerlj

Couch Potato

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 1:56 PM

Those are both great points... and now, I feel worse for Peggy than ever. Earlier, another poster on this board mentioned that Peggy might want to stay at SDCP solely for the fact that she wields more power than ever and gets responsibilities that she would never get (at least for a couple of more years) at another agency. But now, that seems more like a double-edged sword that ever. If she ever moves on or wants to move on, she'll have less work to show-case than someone like Ginsberg... and it would be awkward as hell for her to claim that she was essentially doing her boss' job for him since his brains had been Zou Bisou'd out through his boxers since his marriage.

It seems that, pact with Ken or no, she might be trapped at SDCP unless she wants to take several steps down from her current position at another agency. Poor Peggy! She seems stuck with Don's assholery in the long run!

Luciaphile

Luciaphile

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 2:16 PM

I don't know a lot about advertising, but based on what we've seen, she has to have a decent book. We know she's been approached by other agencies in the past. Maybe she couldn't walk into a Creative Director position, but surely she could get in somewhere as Copy Chief? If Megan could get in to any one of 20 agencies for her one idea for Heinz (although I think Don was nuts when he said that for a variety of reasons not all of them related to her talent), I would assume that Peggy would be well placed to move on somewhere else.