Derek Hough: Yeah, It's in the Genes

• Please log in to reply

5473 replies to this topic

slayer2

slayer2

Fanatic

Posted Dec 1, 2013 @ 5:43 AM

It probably would be a good idea for Derek to take a breather. I was looking forward to COBU, what's happened to that?

Edited by slayer2, Dec 1, 2013 @ 5:43 AM.

Kali12

Kali12

Fanatic

Posted Dec 1, 2013 @ 6:08 PM

If Amber's only dance training was from Glee then I'm doubly impressed by what she did on DWTS. Imo, dancing on Glee is 99% of the time just "running and jumping around to the music while the editors get long shots and close ups they can splice together later." They can certainly sing, but imo very few of them (including Amber) are ever asked to do much in the "dancing" area.

I really think Derek is a very talented teacher (like Amber described in her finale clip), not only an amazingly good choreographer. He combines the ability to work around the weaknesses of his contestants--and play to their strengths--and then push them hard to do everything he asks of them.

Edited by Kali12, Dec 1, 2013 @ 6:11 PM.

spanana

spanana

Stalker

Posted Dec 3, 2013 @ 11:33 AM

So there is a poster out for some dance stage show/tour that Julianne and Derek are going to be doing together.  It looks like they would be travelling around the country and etc.  I'm sure it will make money with those two, but what happened to Julianne's supposed movie career?  She tried the country music thing and didn't get too far on that one, then the movies and now she's back to dance?

StepByStep

StepByStep

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 3, 2013 @ 12:30 PM

I would actually pay to see Derek dance in person. However, I could care less about Julianne anymore. She is too desperate these days for my taste. At least Derek has stayed with dancing all his career. 

truthaboutluv

truthaboutluv

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 3, 2013 @ 1:48 PM

If Amber's only dance training was from Glee then I'm doubly impressed by what she did on DWTS. Imo, dancing on Glee is 99% of the time just "running and jumping around to the music while the editors get long shots and close ups they can splice together later." They can certainly sing, but imo very few of them (including Amber) are ever asked to do much in the "dancing" area.

Responding in Amber's thread. 

I'm sure it will make money with those two, but what happened to Julianne's supposed movie career? 

Maybe that blackface scandal dried up the few phone calls she was getting. Hollywood is a very forgiving place but it's not like Julianne was that big of a star, even though she thought she was and acted like it. Plus it doesn't seem like she's hooked her next convenient boyfriend yet.

TruBrit

TruBrit

Fanatic

Posted Mar 17, 2014 @ 4:11 PM

I listen to Derek on Ryan Seacrest's radio show. He said didn't want to come back, but after listening to Amy's story he had to be part of it. I wonder if Amy was going to be with Tristan if Derek wasn't available.

Edited by TruBrit, Mar 17, 2014 @ 4:12 PM.

LauraLei13

LauraLei13

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 17, 2014 @ 7:04 PM

I'm sure Derek and Amy will be good but Tristan would have been a wonderful partner for her, too.

Maybe if next season there isn't someone interesting enough to draw Derek back, we'll get Tristan back unless he's moved on, too. 

Sparkylove

Sparkylove

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 18, 2014 @ 8:21 AM

Meh- the whole show.

Edited by Sparkylove, Mar 18, 2014 @ 9:18 AM.

StepByStep

StepByStep

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 18, 2014 @ 10:35 AM

I may be in the minority, but I don't see how Tristan would have been any better for Amy than Derek.

Derek has the some of the best choreographic ideas I have ever witnessed on this show. While Tristan hasn't had much of a chance to show them, I still don't think choreography is his strong suit. He even said it isn't. 

Just my $0.02. ..... 

Sunnyheart

Sunnyheart

Fanatic

Posted Mar 18, 2014 @ 11:24 AM

I may be in the minority, but I don't see how Tristan would have been any better for Amy than Derek.

You're not in the minority.   I really like Tristan but he is not a better choreographer/pro than Derek.  I think the only male who even comes close to Derek is Val.

LauraLei13

LauraLei13

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 18, 2014 @ 12:36 PM

I don't think anyone really said he would have been better, just that if Derek hadn't come back that Tristan would have done well with her and probably appreciated the opportunity since teaching is his strong point and what he loves to do best.

StepByStep

StepByStep

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 18, 2014 @ 1:40 PM

Sorry LauraLei13, I wan't directing that at you personally. :)

This is from a lot of post even before the show last night. I just get the vibe that people are thinking Derek and Tristan should be switched because they think Tristan is the better partner for her. JMHO.

I don't agree with that. I love Tristan and if I had chosen someone from this line-up for him I would have gone with Meryl or Danica. They would be so fun to me as a partnership and Tristan would be able to show what he's really got with them, no holds bar. Not that I don't think Amy and Tristan would be great, but he would still be held up to some degree as far as choreographically. 

SunFun

SunFun

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 9, 2014 @ 12:17 PM

No matter what's handed to him, Derek's skills shine. He's done an exceptional job working w/ Amy. Even when given Amazon Woman Nenee as a partner, it didn't slow him down. I like his personality, too.

The guy is a rare talent.

stinamaia

stinamaia

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2014 @ 10:22 AM

SunFun, you are so right.  What he did with NeNe was so good -- not in terms of dance but in terms of performance.  He made her shine.   My mouth was open.  

Of course, he didn't have to dance with her in hold, so that was a big help.   I would have liked to have seen what he would have done with the quickstep.  Makes me laugh to think about it.