Derek Hough: Yeah, It's in the Genes

• Please log in to reply

5473 replies to this topic

rulesoftravel

rulesoftravel

Stalker

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 1:04 AM

Cannot imagine a DWTS season without DEREK.

Season 12 did ok without him. I think it would be a good idea if he and Maks took a season off.

ImSoDizzy

ImSoDizzy

Couch Potato

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 7:22 AM

Derek is 26. He will turn 27 this week. Derek was 22 during his first DWTS season.
Maks is 32. He turned 26 during his first season of DWTS.
Tony is 38. He was 33 in his first season.

Whereas Maks and Tony both taught adults to dance before joining DWTS, I don't believe Derek ever did.

Thadeeeyus

Thadeeeyus

Couch Potato

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 8:48 PM

I certainly hope this is Derek's last season because he just performed like he was doing his swan song, showboating and making the jive all about him, as well as well as the dance NOT having jive flicks and NOT being called on it like any other dancer would have been. Derek, please leave.

hoosier

hoosier

Stalker

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 1:06 AM

Dear Derek,

Please go away now.

Love & Kisses,
Everybody

WaltzinSpringTm

WaltzinSpringTm

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 2:35 PM

I like Derek, and despite his showiness and how he gets gifted with scores, I don't find him all that self-aggrandizing. I don't think he always buys the scores. I don't think he's a douchebag. When he's faking it in the choreo he knows damn well what he's doing and what he's trying to compensate for, and I think he'd be fine if he were called on it but he's often not. IOW, I don't think he's entitled, just very savvy, and I believe his savviness is why he gets the scores - he's always in the show's back pocket if they're ever up a creek about making it seem like a competition. He'll always keep his celeb at least LOOKING competitive, and never flat out belly flop, and there's not too many male pros that can be said about, except perhaps Tristan (can't wait til Tristan gets the chance to pose and maneuver and frame somebody young, lean and fit - not for the sex appeal, but so I can see HIS savvy. I think he'll be right up there with Derek). So I think Derek gets the scores just as storyline insurance.

That said the AT by Maria was just ridiculous. The best would have been if one of her rubbery legs had collapsed underneath her and they'd taken an injury-free tumble. She looked like a zombie through most of that - a corpse he was pretending he'd reanimated only not very convincingly so.

Another thread was harkening back to Derek's hissy in the confessional when he and Shannon Elizabeth got eights in their rumba. That was one of the funniest things I've ever seen. Not even the confessional - the feedback and scoring part. He and SE were so far up their own asses by the end of that they couldn't see the lights. Those slow dragging steps as they "rumba'd" up to the stage to close out their rumba; so clearly, in my perception, expecting the rapt moment of silence to be followed by rapturous applause. Then - BOOM! Fantastic. I also think that even though they were dating, Derek should have told Shannon that even though she has nice legs, she moves them like shit in Latin, so stop insisting on tiny skirts for Latin - it's not helping.

Edited by WaltzinSpringTm, May 15, 2012 @ 2:37 PM.

machination

machination

Channel Surfer

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 10:13 AM

I like Derek a lot more than I like Mark (when it comes to showboating, anyway), but I think he should take a break. Seeing him win, get close to the finals, and be a part of the Design-A-Dance more than others...he's over-exposed.

Of course the producers know what they're doing 99% of the time when they give specific pros certain "celebrities". There's a reason Mark and Derek have been doing quite well over the past many seasons. They're great choreographers too, of course. But notice that a lot of the pros get similar dancers each year (Tony and Jonathan always got specific types of women; Cheryl and Edyta got some of the best-looking ones). It's no coincidence.

Edited by machination, May 17, 2012 @ 9:49 AM.

Woodrose

Woodrose

Couch Potato

Posted May 18, 2012 @ 1:02 PM

You certainly don't speak for everybody, Hoosier.

I will miss Derek and his spectacular dancing and choreography if he chooses to leave DWTS and pursue other opportunities.

I would rather watch a well-performed routine done with confidence and joy, even if it doesn't meet all the Dancesport requirements for an individual dance, than a poorly performed routine done by a nervous, frantic celebrity trying to keep up with her pro during 20 seconds of side-by-side kicks, even if the latter is more of a jive according to the syllabus. I enjoyed watching all of Maria's dances this season, but none of Melissa's.

Derek has been in the finals four times, with Brooke, Nicole, Jennifer, and Ricki. Maks has also been in the finals four times, with Laila, Mel, Erin, and Kirstie. Mark and Cheryl are currently making their FIFTH appearances in the finals this week(eta correction: It's actually Cheryl's SIXTH appearance in the finals this week. Wow). Last season, Maks was the featured male pro in DaD (with Chelsie, Cheryl, and Lacey); this season it was Tristan. It's ridiculous to pretend that Derek always wins everything -- it just ain't true.

Edited by Woodrose, May 20, 2012 @ 1:34 PM.

popcorn

popcorn

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2012 @ 8:02 PM

Last season, Maks was the featured male pro in DaD (with Chelsie, Cheryl, and Lacey); this season it was Tristan. It's ridiculous to pretend that Derek always wins everything -- it just ain't true.

I believe Maks was two seasons ago. Last season Derek and Anna did the Design a Dance (the paso to Bad Romance). Of the six normal design a dances, Derek has won four of them. (The non-normal dances were a pro/former contestant dance that Mark/Sabrina won and a two former contestants dance that Joey Fatone and Melissa Rycroft won.) I don't begrudge the guy for winning. Something compels people to vote for him.

Woodrose

Woodrose

Couch Potato

Posted May 19, 2012 @ 1:48 AM

Thanks for the correction, popcorn. I guess Maks was the featured male pro in the last DaD that I remember, chuckle. It was a cute one.

The DaD often is not a particularly good performance, or the most memorable choreography. When I think of favorite pasos by Derek, I think of his 50s paso with Nicole, or the futuristic one with Joanna, or the acoustic one he danced with Chelsie and Mark Ballas on guitar. The DaD paso with Anna doesn't even come to my mind.

The whole DaD gimmick is pretty lame, imho, and it's not of too much consequence who wins it.

Gladys4351

Gladys4351

Couch Potato

Posted May 19, 2012 @ 9:06 AM

Derek is by far my favorite dancer and choreographer on DWTS. I just frankly have little interest when he's not on the show dancing. I'll probably tape the dances on Monday and watch the finale in real time since I know Derek will be on that. I know I'm selfish for feeling the way I do. I can certainly understand others wanting to see additional pros win the MBT, but I like seeing Derek at least make the finals. I think Maria's injuries really kept her from being able to work to her potential.

I didn't realize that both Mark and Cheryl are entering their fifth finals. Cheryl is my favorite female choreographer, but I actually prefer watching Kym or Chelsie dance. Cheryl and Mark have been on for more seasons than Derek, but that's still great that they have made the finals so many times.

Edited by Gladys4351, May 19, 2012 @ 9:16 AM.

superfamous

superfamous

Video Archivist

Posted May 20, 2012 @ 7:08 AM

The whole DaD gimmick is pretty lame, imho, and it's not of too much consequence who wins it.

Tell that to the Tristan fans who are claiming victory.

Derek is by far my favorite dancer and choreographer on DWTS. I just frankly have little interest when he's not on the show dancing. I'll probably tape the dances on Monday and watch the finale in real time since I know Derek will be on that. I know I'm selfish for feeling the way I do. I can certainly understand others wanting to see additional pros win the MBT, but I like seeing Derek at least make the finals. I think Maria's injuries really kept her from being able to work to her potential.

Totally agree with this. When Derek and Maria got the boot, I lost all interest in the show. I'm not even watching on Monday. I'm just watching on Tuesday. When Derek isn't in the finals, everything else just seems so boring.

Edited by superfamous, May 20, 2012 @ 7:09 AM.

rulesoftravel

rulesoftravel

Stalker

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 11:31 AM

Apparently Derek told Maria to prepare because they were going home. He knew they were in danger.

http://www.starpulse...ugh_knew_we_wer

Edited by rulesoftravel, May 21, 2012 @ 12:44 PM.

fitzwdarcey

fitzwdarcey

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 11:34 AM

I'm a Tristan fan, but I agree that Derek Hough is one of the best choreographers I've ever seen on this show. He can be handed what would be a difficult mess for many and make it fabulous. His 50's Paso and his futuristic Paso come to mind. He is clever about the way he works around potential limitations of his partners with his choreography. That said, I really disliked the stripping salsa this season and that jive.

stinamaia

stinamaia

Fanatic

Posted May 26, 2012 @ 11:51 AM

Itís my opinion that itís possible to like many dancers on this show and simply because you like one doesnít mean you must dislike others. Of the male dancers, I like Derek and Maks for totally different reasons. I also like Tony and Tristan for other reasons.

Dear Derek,

Please go away now.

Love & Kisses,
Everybody

Not ďeverybodyĒ because not me and not others who have posted here.

I try to think of one thing about Derek that irritates or bothers me, and I canít think of any. Iím sure if I knew him personally, I might find faults, but as an entertainer on my TV, he does his job. He entertains me. He makes me smile, and I am always in awe of his talent. When I think of how young he was when he joined the show, I am truly amazed by him.

nish

nish

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 9, 2012 @ 2:35 PM

I try to think of one thing about Derek that irritates or bothers me, and I canít think of any. Iím sure if I knew him personally, I might find faults, but as an entertainer on my TV, he does his job. He entertains me. He makes me smile, and I am always in awe of his talent. When I think of how young he was when he joined the show, I am truly amazed by him.

I heartily second the sentiment. Love me some Derek. Awesome dancer and from what I can see, a nice person as well.

DanceinRain

DanceinRain

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 9, 2012 @ 5:42 PM

I guess the casting for a remake of "Dirty Dancing" has been postponed a year for some reason. Anyone clued in? Was Derek being considered for Johnny?

To my tastes, Derek comes across as so much younger than his actual years and too young for that role. Not only what he says but how he says it remind me so much of a pumped-up teenager a la Richie Cunningham on Happy Days, as opposed to the man he ought to be by now. For that reason alone, I would find him hard to watch in Patrick Swayze's Dirty Dancing role of Johnny. As played in the original movie, the guy just had far more raw maleness than I ever get from adorable Derek's vibes.

My hat's off to his athleticism, his originality, and his "in your face" bravado in pleasing the audience rather than follow Len's ballroom standards. He's a great talent at choreographing Broadway-type dances (as opposed to following ballroom dance requirements). I've often wished DWTS did not highlight the competition to the MBT so much, cuz it's no where near a legitimate contest. The emphasis on the MBT grates mightily on any sports-person's nerves when one pro is partnered with a lifelong dancer (a la Nicole S) and freely ignores the ballroom dance he's supposed to be teaching.

Derek's persona as the dashing "Danny Do Right" he's so often characterized to be by TPTB fits him so well. And his dances are so much fun to watch!

QueenL

QueenL

Fanatic

Posted Jun 9, 2012 @ 8:31 PM

In Derek's defense, he does ballroom content quite well. I hate how people focus on a few dances, and act like that's all a person does. Or even more, I hate how when, maybe, 15 seconds of a dance is Hip-Hop or something, people claim that the whole thing was lacking in content. A lot of times, those dances have way more ballroom content than the dances that just don't contain any of that miscellaneous type of dancing!

As for Derek being annoying, he's calmed down a lot, IMO. When I get annoyed, it's usually with the judges or TPTB, but not him specifically.

I still think he's really talented, even if I still don't outright consider myself a "Derek fan." I don't know why I don't, since I really like most of his stuff.

Edited by QueenL, Jun 12, 2012 @ 11:19 PM.

DanceinRain

DanceinRain

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 9, 2012 @ 10:20 PM

Agreed. There's no denying the guy is talented. ITA

Gladys4351

Gladys4351

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 10, 2012 @ 3:58 PM

Derek is very talented, and I hope one day his talents will go beyond DWTS. He makes the show enjoyable to watch.

Mbeaker

Mbeaker

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 11, 2012 @ 10:07 PM

I guess the casting for a remake of "Dirty Dancing" has been postponed a year for some reason. Anyone clued in? Was Derek being considered for Johnny?

Deadline reports that he screen tested for "Dirty Dancing." Derek confirmed this via a tweet that he subsequently deleted.

The remake of the 1987 Patrick Swayze and Jennifer Grey film was scheduled to be released in July 2013, but now the movie is off the studio’s release dance card at least until 2014. Kenny Ortega, who was a choreographer on the original, is attached to direct the film. No cast had been announced. However Deadline has learned that Glee’s Lea Michele, Trespass’ Liana Liberato and Canadian singer Nikki Yanofsky were screen tested as were Brothers & Sisters’ Luke Grime, Nashville Star’s Justin Gaston and Dancing With the Stars’ Derek Hough.

Derek's tweet: “It’s a shame dirty dancin fell through. Was a great screen test with some amazing babies … maybe next time”

Edited by Mbeaker, Jun 11, 2012 @ 10:09 PM.

QueenL

QueenL

Fanatic

Posted Jun 12, 2012 @ 11:26 PM

Maria was on Howard Stern's show yesterday with her boyfriend, and they were very open and honest. Haven't listened to it yet, but I know from reading recaps, the boyfriend revealed that Derek was the one celebrity who ever openly hit on Maria, and it bothered him. He also implied that he thinks that Maria might have cheated with Derek, but he tries to push it out of his mind. They continue a constant texting relationship, and that upsets the boyfriend (and Howard, lol). Howard tried to make Maria read the texts on the air to prove that they're innocent. She refused.

Here's a short montage of clips of the interview.

You can listen to the whole interview here. The Derek stuff starts at the 11:45 mark.

I'm honestly surprised. I really had the feeling that Derek was gay, though I've never talked about it here before. All of the planted PR with the various women felt like a case of trying too hard to me. But maybe he just genuinely is a bit of a player.

By the way, here's the boyfriend discussing this stuff further on the Wrap-Up Show, which is a show with the Stern gang, that airs right after Stern's show.

Edited by QueenL, Jun 12, 2012 @ 11:50 PM.

Elsa

Elsa

Fanatic

Posted Jun 13, 2012 @ 12:14 AM

Hmmm. I'm a bit shocked at this conversation but after listening and watching Maria's face, I don't think anything happened. And I haven't seen it all yet, but she was showing Howard her phone and texts, at least in the short first video.

My actual impression was that her BF wants to be in the tabloids and turn this into a publicity-garnering thing, and Maria seemed uncomfortable with what was going on - and I don't think because she and Derek had an affair but the tackiness of blurting all that nonsense out. Something about that guy (her bf) squicked me out. I wouldn't appreciate my bf/husband putting me in such an awkward position.

I can really snoop around, Lord knows, and I believe Derek had a genuine relationship with his first Dutch Dancesport partner and this beautiful girl named India something. But I admit I was suspicious of both the flings with Shannon Elizabeth and Cheryl Cole - they didn't seem genuine at all. Who knows? It seems show-faux-mances are something you just have to put up with with these shows. I guess the occasional one is legit.

Edited by Elsa, Jun 13, 2012 @ 1:05 AM.

QueenL

QueenL

Fanatic

Posted Jun 13, 2012 @ 1:05 AM

I just listened to it. She pulled the phone away quickly before Howard could really read.

I disagree about the bf, though I understand why people would think that. They have been on the show before, and last time he was really honest too. He just seems like a straight-shooter, no bullshitter, who gets Howard, and doesn't play the typical "ehh, I'm not gonna really answer" type of games that a lot of celebs do when they come on the show.

I also think that he knows that Maria is putting up airs with her false embarrassment. She loves it. If she didn't, he wouldn't do it. He's not that stupid. They've been together for, like, 14 years. They know each other. She always plays the "whaaat?! Little old me?" routine.

I actually like him for her. Seems to have his head on straight about not wanting her to get caught up in the Hollywood bullshit.

I don't know if she cheated or not. Probably not. I do agree with Howard, though, that she clearly gets off on coming across as single. It was always weird to me how OTT she & Derek were, when she clearly has a boyfriend. That always seems not cool to me.

Edited by QueenL, Jun 13, 2012 @ 1:14 AM.

Elsa

Elsa

Fanatic

Posted Jun 13, 2012 @ 1:15 AM

That's interesting. What was uncool to me was I took it as them using it as a gimmick to drum up support and votes. (the romance angle) I know it's been done before, and maybe it's been just as blatant, but I got sick of it. I blame Derek - for the kissing - that close-to-crotch mess he did with Joanna in the cha-cha marathon or whatever. Guy's got it all - 3 mirrorballs, talent for choreography, usually fit gorgeous partners, so I'm really bugged when he pushes the line. It would probably bug me with any of them, but with him, with all the advantages he usually already has, it just strikes me as outright cheating.

And I don't think he's a wimp. If he didn't want the romance angle in there, Maria couldn't make him put it in there. And for some reason, I really bonded with Maria, though Howard was RIGHT in calling her on the bikini thing - she knows she's got a hot body and doubtless was thrilled to show it off. Don't take us for idiots, MM!

TruBrit

TruBrit

Fanatic

Posted Jun 13, 2012 @ 7:48 AM

I don't believe something happened between Maria and Derek. It was all for show IMO. The fact that, as they said on HS Show, TPTB purposely didn't mention her relationship told me everything. Of course her BF would be rightfully upset, who wouldn't .

As for Derek, EH. I'll state my opinion when he'll date a girl that is actually available.

He dated Shannon who had just broken up with her BF.
He dated Cheryl Cole who was breaking up with her cheating husband.
He went out with Lauren Conrad for like 2seconds 3 days after she had broken up with her BF.
He was spotted getting friendly with Katherine ... Who also had just called off her engagement .
He was spotted with Nicole the other night ... Who was with her on- off BF in Monaco a week or so ago.

See a patern here???

Edited by TruBrit, Jun 13, 2012 @ 7:49 AM.

PBGamer89

PBGamer89

Fanatic

Posted Jun 13, 2012 @ 1:17 PM

Excluding any romance nonsense, it it nice to see that Derek and Nicole still remain friends. It seemed to me that she'd be one of those winners who said they were so close to their pro and then pretended to have never met them, so it's nice they remain friends.

TruBrit

TruBrit

Fanatic

Posted Jul 9, 2012 @ 1:53 PM

Derek and Katherine? https://twitter.com/...327911095599105 He's certainly got a good track record as a shoulder to cry on, eh.†

Photos:

Edited by TruBrit, Jul 9, 2012 @ 1:57 PM.

DotsAndStripes

DotsAndStripes

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 9, 2012 @ 10:01 PM

Derek's attempts at growing facial hair always remind me of Spencer Pratt's creepy flesh colored beard, so I was hoping this rumored fling with Stephanie Pratt would turn into something. Too bad.

I had also noticed that Derek has an odd history of being linked to unavailable women. Then again, I don't find anything about Derek to be authentic. Not sure what his deal is, but if he's happy spending time with Katherine, then good for him I guess.

Edited by DotsAndStripes, Jul 9, 2012 @ 10:10 PM.

Gladys4351

Gladys4351

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 27, 2012 @ 8:10 AM

I read in another thread that Derek stated in an interview that season 15 will be his last. I hope that's not true because I won't have a reason to continue watching the show as must see TV. If his movie career is really taking off, I'll understand but still miss him.

superfamous

superfamous

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 29, 2012 @ 4:22 AM

If this is truly Derek's last season, then I'm done with the show. I have no reason to watch anymore. Hope they give him a decent celebrity for his last season.