Derek Hough: Yeah, It's in the Genes

• Please log in to reply

5473 replies to this topic

Micha

Micha

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 29, 2007 @ 1:39 PM

I thought it would be good to start a Derek Thread, since he's one of our newbie professionals this season. Let the Derek talk begin!

Derek is partnered with Jennie Garth this season.

MarkC99

MarkC99

Fanatic

Posted Aug 29, 2007 @ 2:02 PM

I almost started a thread with a dorky title like "Hough Brother".

The Julianne/Derek dance was one of my favorite pro dances last season. I can't wait to see him and his cuteness and great talent showcased on his own.

I hope he cuts his hair.

Micha

Micha

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 29, 2007 @ 2:07 PM

I agree, MarkC99. I loved that dance with Julianne and Derek (even saved it to watch when needed). It was what really made me hopeful that he may join the show. I think he's going to be a great addition this season. I didn't mind his hair last season, but he does look like it would be a better look for him if it was shorter and in a more current style. We'll keep our fingers crossed. ;)

justmy2cents

justmy2cents

Fanatic

Posted Aug 29, 2007 @ 10:03 PM

Count me in on the Derek train! I think it's wonderful that the show is getting sharp new talent.

By the way, does anyone know how "Hough" is pronounced?

ETA: Thank you, SoCalLabRat! That's a relief.

Edited by justmy2cents, Aug 29, 2007 @ 10:48 PM.

SoCalLabRat

SoCalLabRat

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 29, 2007 @ 10:06 PM

It's pronounced "huff," like "rough."

Edited by SoCalLabRat, Aug 29, 2007 @ 10:07 PM.

TweedleDitz

TweedleDitz

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 29, 2007 @ 10:17 PM

I wanted to start a thread, but couldn't think of a clever title. After watching his routine with a number of girlfriends and wearing out a tivo in the process, I think it should be "jeans" not "genes". ;-) *droooool*

ChinaB

ChinaB

Posted Aug 29, 2007 @ 10:53 PM

I almost never post but I ran across THIS today-----and thought it belonged here--

http://www.brightcov...annel=933825423

SoCalLabRat

SoCalLabRat

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 29, 2007 @ 11:17 PM

YOWZA. I don't think I blinked once throughout that entire video. Boy can move. Here's hoping for more unbuttoned shirts come September.

Thanks for the link, ChinaB.

TweedleDitz

TweedleDitz

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 29, 2007 @ 11:20 PM

<bows down to ChinaB>

catgyrl

catgyrl

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 29, 2007 @ 11:20 PM

I almost never post but I ran across THIS today-----and thought it belonged here--
http://www.brightcov...annel=933825423

Bless me father, for I have sinned... I'm having impure thoughts about this young, Mormon boy who is more than half my age...YIKES!!

Elsa

Elsa

Fanatic

Posted Aug 29, 2007 @ 11:26 PM

I'm pretty sure Derek isn't a Mormon anymore - at least not a devout or an observant one. He spoke about his upbringing being "repressive" in an interview once, and he lived in London from the age of 12, away from his parents. GREAT FIND, ChinaB! This season is looking better all the time :)

Edited by Elsa, Aug 29, 2007 @ 11:28 PM.

catgyrl

catgyrl

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 29, 2007 @ 11:46 PM

I'm pretty sure Derek isn't a Mormon anymore

Oh, good - does that mean I can take back my confession? ;-)

magathia

magathia

Fanatic

Posted Aug 30, 2007 @ 1:26 AM

Wow, ChinaB! What a find! I think this could be a very good season indeed. Can't wait for it to start!

ChinaB

ChinaB

Posted Aug 30, 2007 @ 1:36 AM

Thanks--so glad you like it---I showed it to a friend first and she said I MUST post it over here so I did---I understand he has a past with gymnastics as well as dance--the stuff on YouTube is mostly from 'Footloose' and I just thought this was a lot more impressive---and it takes one to know one but as a Jack Mormon I think Elsa is right---he is one too--which means he is inactive so probably not an innocent so if you are inclined to fantasize---I think you should feel free

MarkC99

MarkC99

Fanatic

Posted Aug 30, 2007 @ 4:22 AM

Thanks for the clip. It's definitely in the jeans as well as the genes. He can move, can't he?

The abs will make me forgive him for having to listen to Britney Spears.

provencal

provencal

Fanatic

Posted Aug 30, 2007 @ 8:58 AM

I don't find that video very spicy, actually -- I'm not joking. Derek Hough looks so apple pie wholesome, those kind of moves don't work for me.

annlaw78

annlaw78

Fanatic

Posted Aug 30, 2007 @ 9:51 AM

I don't find that video very spicy, actually -- I'm not joking. Derek Hough looks so apple pie wholesome, those kind of moves don't work for me.

Yeah, and I don't get why he's pretending to sing, when the vocals are obviously a girl's voice.

He doesn't so all that much for me. I think part of what I like about the whole ballroom thing is that the guys who do it are so different from guys I'd usually go for -- believe it or not, I'm not into guys in tight, high-waisted, stretchy pants, with hurricane-proof hair, man-jewelry, and super-tanned. But, for some reason, it works on the pros, and so I like them more in the dark and exotic vein (ala Alec and Maks, and the other Russians). You know, make me feel dangerous, but also safe (10 points to whoever names that quote!).

Derek is too apple pie/white bread for my tastes. He's cute, and has a nice body. And maybe if he lost the vintage Zach Morris hair, it would help.

Elsa

Elsa

Fanatic

Posted Aug 30, 2007 @ 12:36 PM

I think it's always harder for young, wirey blond guys -- it's like an acquired taste. Maybe the real craggy blonds are easier to accept as suitably "masculine" or whatever. I think it was even part of Ian Ziering's problem (btw, are there a lot of blond Jewish people? I know there are a lot of blond Mormons but I'm not sure why.)

Anyway, maybe it's because more than half of the female starlets have blonde hair, most of it FAKE blonde hair, but still... So it gets so associated with femininity that the blond guys have to go overboard in the *other* direction to seem like real men or something.

My first blond crush was Bjorn Borg. What a guy. Wonder what happened to him.... Oh, now I remember -- he attempted suicide a few years ago when his Italian 10-year-older girlfriend ditched him.. Something like that. Hope he's o.k. now. He was a looker back in the day -- but only when he was wearing his bandana. Now brunette -- actually I think that should be "brunet" -- sheesh we should never adopt French adjectives -- Apolo looks good, bandana or not.

ETA: I just remember Bjorn wore a sweatband -- not sure if he ever wore a bandana but he should have always worn one because his forehead was too high.

Edited by Elsa, Aug 30, 2007 @ 12:43 PM.

Hailey

Hailey

Fanatic

Posted Aug 30, 2007 @ 12:40 PM

You know, make me feel dangerous, but also safe (10 points to whoever names that quote!).

Wedding Crashers! (and a bonus for the Dr. Quinn connection)

I like them more in the dark and exotic vein (ala Alec and Maks, and the other Russians).

Exactly. When most of the American men do it (like poor Brain from last season), they just seem so effeminate.

MarkC99

MarkC99

Fanatic

Posted Aug 30, 2007 @ 1:06 PM

I don't find that video very spicy, actually -- I'm not joking.

I also don't find the video spicy. That's one of the reasons I enjoy the video, because I don't think he's trying to be sexy. He's being goofy. He has a nice body, which I enjoy, but he's not very sexy.

I like DWTS best when they have a wide variety of male pros. Alec had such a sour expression and a bad spray-on tan last season that I found him as far from sexy as possible (and I wasn't surprised he was the first out the door, even though he won a few years ago). Maks is sexy, but for every macho, swaggering pro who is sexy, you have a Tony, who becomes a self-parody. Or look at Louis, who isn't sexy, isn't Russian or dark, but managed to make the final four for two seasons because of his charisma and drive and great choreography.

One of the reasons I'm happy to see Derek on the show is because he helps add to the other pros and what they bring to the competition. If everyone tried to be like Maks, they'd fail. He's the only one of the exotic, dark variety of male pro I've ever seen as a success on DWTS.

Elsa

Elsa

Fanatic

Posted Aug 30, 2007 @ 1:46 PM

Oh I'm delighted to have Derek Hough on the show -- didn't mean to give the opposite impression. I have acquired a taste for blond men (if I'm right and one needs to.) I thought he *was* sexy in the rehearsal segment with Apolo and Julianne (and the dance that ChinaB posted for that matter - I love twinks if they're gorgeous!)

I don't like to watch Louis though - his jaw bothers me, and he seems a bit, well, maybe flat and unsexy is the word? Oh I don't know. I don't find Tony very sexy either. You know, I'm kind of meh on Maks come to think of it -- it was Laila that I thought just oozed sex appeal and allure, to quote Bruno. I loved her attitude so much, and her quick wit, I developed a helluva girl crush on that beautiful Amazon, but anyway...

I do find Alec sexy and I think I know why he doesn't smile much. There's something weird about his smile - or his mouth or teeth - I can't nail it down. Too squarish or dorky maybe? He's gorgeous otherwise - and when he smiles just a wee little bit, I don't notice the weird teeth/mouth. To me, he's the sexiest pro with the possible exception of Derek, who I need to see actually dancing and working closely with a woman who's not his sister, lol. And I'm looking forward to meeting Mark Ballas though - in his photos he's real dreamy looking. I don't know who Jennie Garth is (never watched BH90210) but it seems to me they gave the only little sexpot to Marky (maybe the poster here with the European connection is right and he's very small, which might explain it, but I'm kind of surprised they didn't give Cheetah-girl to Derek, as the more "known quantity" of the two.)

I'm thrilled Alec got another looker - and I'm doubly thrilled that she's only about 5'7" -- I was worried when they said "supermodel" that he'd get another 6-footer. Last season, I think Paulina should have gotten Maks and Laila would do great with anybody - she probably would have brought Alec out of his shell which would have been a joy to watch. Maybe Karen whoever will do it - you never know - they have to get past week 1 or 2, lol, and I have my worries since models don't seem to have much hope on this show.

Sorry to get too far off subject -- I do find Derek Hough sexy and can't wait to see him again!

annlaw78

annlaw78

Fanatic

Posted Aug 30, 2007 @ 2:16 PM

My first blond crush was Bjorn Borg. What a guy. Wonder what happened to him.... Oh, now I remember -- he attempted suicide a few years ago when his Italian 10-year-older girlfriend ditched him.. Something like that. Hope he's o.k. now. He was a looker back in the day -- but only when he was wearing his bandana. Now brunette -- actually I think that should be "brunet" -- sheesh we should never adopt French adjectives -- Apolo looks good, bandana or not.

Mine was Stefan Edberg! Maybe it's just you expect guys who spend all day on a tennis court to be blonde? Nothing against blonde guys at all. It's just for some reason, it seems odd in the ballroom context.

Wedding Crashers! (and a bonus for the Dr. Quinn connection)

Ten points for you!

Exactly. When most of the American men do it (like poor Brain from last season), they just seem so effeminate.

The other thing that I have noticed is that the pros who have been on the show for more than one season have learned to tone down the "big" facial expressions and gestures they do with their mouths, that sort of look like they are having some bizarre orgasm whilst dancing. Louis had problems with that in the first couple of seasons (I think Lisa helped him tone it down), as did Brian. Derek, in the clips I've seen, has that going on, too. Hopefully he'll figure out that with he's playing to a camera that's in close, not to judges across the room.

I like DWTS best when they have a wide variety of male pros. Alec had such a sour expression and a bad spray-on tan last season that I found him as far from sexy as possible (and I wasn't surprised he was the first out the door, even though he won a few years ago). Maks is sexy, but for every macho, swaggering pro who is sexy, you have a Tony, who becomes a self-parody. Or look at Louis, who isn't sexy, isn't Russian or dark, but managed to make the final four for two seasons because of his charisma and drive and great choreography.

Aww, poor Alec! I don't find him sour so much as serious. Maks' hamminess sometimes annoys me. It's like he's forgotten he's the "professional," and thinks he's the star or something. And while yes, he has a loyal following, he should remember he's there as a teacher and it's not a big "look at me!" fest.

I do find Alec sexy and I think I know why he doesn't smile much. There's something weird about his smile - or his mouth or teeth - I can't nail it down. Too squarish or dorky maybe? He's gorgeous otherwise - and when he smiles just a wee little bit, I don't notice the weird teeth/mouth. To me, he's the sexiest pro with the possible exception of Derek, who I need to see actually dancing and working closely with a woman who's not his sister, lol.

Ditto.

ChinaB

ChinaB

Posted Aug 30, 2007 @ 4:12 PM

Sexy was not what I thought of when I saw that clip and certainly not 'spicy'---can't really think of of anyone that fits that description---I just thought it was interesting to see him do something that was not 'Footloose' and show a little of what he can or does do---it might be considered sexy to people a lot younger than me, I don't know---I just think he is pretty interesting given his background and he seems to not be a clone of Julianne or of anyone else--but then I have really only watched last season for Apolo and checked in on a few other episodes here and there so I am not as well versed on all the pros

IDgal

IDgal

Just Tuned In

Posted Sep 16, 2007 @ 1:17 AM

Thanks for the link to the clip - I thought that was a lot of fun to watch. I'm very eager to see Derek on the show. I saw him a year or so ago - he was a surprise guest at my daughter's dance recital and he did a really cute number with his sister, Sharee. They were fantastic to watch.

Shiel

Shiel

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 22, 2007 @ 10:24 PM

I think Derek is quite pretty. Not the most masculine and not the most mature, but there's nothing wrong with young, all-American blonds. I sometimes even prefer the latter. DWTS needs variety, and Derek is clearly giving another side. I hope he will do well with Jennie Garth.

MarkC99

MarkC99

Fanatic

Posted Sep 25, 2007 @ 1:38 AM

Nice to see him again. I didn't realize until now how much he looks like Jonathan Brandis. He also looks slightly like Bryan from last season when he's in close up.

A few people in the thread for tonight's episode said he tends to overdance, and I did see him overdance tonight. He probably had to try to oversell with Jennie Garth, since this was the first week. They seem like a good team, hopefully she has what it takes.

tip and fall

tip and fall

Stalker

Posted Sep 25, 2007 @ 9:41 AM

Some of Derek's pictures on his Myspace make him look like a serial killer (he sports a mean scowl, although it might just be the male form of inadvertent bitchface), so it was a pleasant surprise to see him on last night's show. Not scary at all, heh. "Cute little thing" indeed.

reasontobelieve

reasontobelieve

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 27, 2007 @ 6:47 PM

My first blond crush was Bjorn Borg. What a guy. Wonder what happened to him....

Bjorn is doing well. He's married and lives in a beautiful house on the outskirts of Stockholm. He played for a few years on the senior circuit and has come back to Wimbledon a couple of times for special events. I've seen interviews with him and seen him playing tennis. He is still gorgeous, but just in an older, wiser way. He got into drugs for awhile right after his playing days and that was the reason for some of his woes, but that's been over for a very long time. He's very relaxed and smooth now. And he smiles a lot more.

Maks' hamminess sometimes annoys me. It's like he's forgotten he's the "professional," and thinks he's the star or something. And while yes, he has a loyal following, he should remember he's there as a teacher and it's not a big "look at me!" fest.

When Maks is on the screen, it's always a big "look at me" fest as far as I'm concerned. I don't want to look anywhere else.

As for Derek, I think he's extremely cute. He's young, and will get better with age. So far, I like him quite a bit.

Elsa

Elsa

Fanatic

Posted Sep 27, 2007 @ 8:08 PM

So glad to hear about Bjorn! Thanks, reasontobelieve. I remember hearing about him on the senior circuit - and watched him play once a few years ago. He was incredible in his day - but maybe achieved too much too young, and bowed out before he really should have, imo. I think he was only 25 when he retired. No wonder he had a few rough years of figuring out what to do with himself.

But on the Derek front -- I think what he's really got going for him is his sweetness. I think he's more supportive than even Jonathan! I'm surprised that such a young guy is so protective and encouraging with his 30-something partner. I think some of the older guys on the show could learn a lot by watching how he was there for Jennie! I loved it when, back stage right after their dance, he exuberantly told her it was the best fox trot she had ever done and he hugged her and said, "I'm so proud of you."

I think if Alec had been hugging and hanging onto Josie, and telling her she did good (because I thought her performance WAS pretty good - it certainly wasn't the kind of disaster we've seen before on the show - like Billy Ray and Master P etc.), then she would have had a MUCH better experience. It was like she was all alone out there getting shot down. And if they finished dance a bar too early, how was that HER fault? Wasn't HE leading?? So maybe some of the uncomfortable-ness of the way their dance looked WAS his fault. But even if it wasn't, if he'd behaved like Derek (or Marky for that matter, holding her hand or having his arm around her), it wouldn't have been so painful and sad to watch.

And remember how Maks would leave Laila standing there alone and run back to high-five the other dancers in the background after they'd get their scores? I can't imagine Derek or Marky doing that. I think we've got some real winners with these two young guys, and I'm delighted about it. Because to me, a real "winner" is someone who's kind and supportive and who gives their partner the best experience they can manage -- and that's exactly what Derek and Mark seem to be doing.

Edited by Elsa, Sep 27, 2007 @ 8:15 PM.

JenTG

JenTG

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 27, 2007 @ 9:37 PM

I think if Alec had been hugging and hanging onto Josie, and telling her she did good (because I thought her performance WAS pretty good - it certainly wasn't the kind of disaster we've seen before on the show - like Billy Ray and Master P etc.), then she would have had a MUCH better experience.

Initially I agreed, but perhaps Alec isn't as expressive outside of dancing. He doesn't seem like a bad guy, I think at that moment he was just pissed that the judges were so harsh.

Anyway, I'm really enjoying Derek with Jenny so far. She's really charming and, at least in the first number, did a nice job presenting her and designing a fun routine. I hope he sticks around for a long while.

Edited by JenTG, Sep 27, 2007 @ 9:38 PM.