Roger Sterling: Prematurely Gray

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

163 replies to this topic

rogaine2233

rogaine2233

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 6:46 AM

I love John Slattery and I think he plays Roger perfectly! I saw an interview with him where he mentioned he originally auditioned for the part of Don. I just can't see that. He has the womanizing thing down pat, but I don't know if he can pull off that hard edge that JH does and still manage to stay sympathetic. When Roger is an ass, he is an ass. When he's funny, sad, or just about any emotion,he evokes sympathy in me. But not when he's got the hard edge thing going. And since Don is really the central character, think the casting was well done all around.

Jenn

Jenn

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 4:30 PM

Roger seems to stay the flawless silver fox he's always been. He's a fine looking man indeed and I would much rather watch him kiss Joan than Lane.

Even when Roger is being utterly childish and unacceptable, I am guiltily admiring how wonderful he looks in his suits and waistcoats.

WaltzinSpringTm

WaltzinSpringTm

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 7:38 AM

I have to co-sign that Slattery looks fantastic. He's had the best lines all season and is the Don/Megan story's saving grace. And beyond that, I have an especial fondness for his single interaction with Joan so far (is that really right - that Roger/Joan have had the one exchange only? God, no wonder six episodes in I'm still waiting for this show to start). "There's my baby. Get that brat out of the way" - it was such a great delivery about how he felt about Joan.

Scaramanga

Scaramanga

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 8:58 AM

My favorite minor character appeared in "Signal 30" - Roger's black glasses!

rogaine2233

rogaine2233

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 9:44 AM

Interesting how Roger made an ass out of himself by marrying a secretary at least 20 years younger than he is, but the writers never paid too much attention to the plot and have moved Jane to the background, bringing her in only to server as a plot device for Roger's actions. I'm fine with that since I'm invested in Roger as a character and not Jane. I think this is a horrible marriage decision and am glad the writers don't throw it in our faces.

Boy, oh boy, do I wish they'd do the same with Megan. Here is almost the same stupid situation yet we get all-Megan-all-the-time. And to make it worse, as so aptly as been outlined on the Megan thread, the actress can't act to save her life. At least Peyton List has some acting chops.

newyawk

newyawk

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 11:11 AM

He's a fine looking man indeed and I would much rather watch him kiss Joan than Lane. (Sorry Lane.)

Well, I don't want to see Roger kiss Lane either! j/k ..No, I want someone new for Lane, but that is for the Lane thread.

I don't think marrying a woman much younger than he is makes Roger an ass..significant age gaps aren't necessarily an issue, as it isn't for Michael Douglas and Catherine Zeta-Jones.

It is the way that Roger threw his wife over for Jane that makes him an ass, on top of the way he treats every woman he has ever been with. Annabelle seems to be the only one that got one over on him.

Edited by newyawk, Apr 19, 2012 @ 11:08 AM.

WaltzinSpringTm

WaltzinSpringTm

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 2:54 PM

I found Peyton List most implausible in how she was introduced. Once she was married to Roger, she was effective in her limited appearances, most particularly the last one. The arriviste new wife talking to Joan (her former superior) about the car coming around. Getting drunk. The few glimpses we've had of her and Roger at home. And best of all, how she dressed and carried herself at the Draper birthday party. Her tan, how she wore her clothes, her line delivery, her demeanor her snark - perfect. She's morphed into a character in her small bits and pieces and she suits the part she's got.

Edited by WaltzinSpringTm, Apr 19, 2012 @ 2:55 PM.

Inquisitionist

Inquisitionist

Stalker

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 6:50 AM

if Roger is around 60 in 1966,

If Roger was born in 1906, he would have been 35 when Japan bombed Pearl Harbor. That seems too old to jive with the memories he and Annabelle shared in The Gypsy and the Hobo. I suspect Roger was in his mid-20s when served in WWII, which would put him around 50 now. (That is John Slattery's actual age, BTW.) Roger still could have seen Model As and Model Ts as a child, right?

rogaine2233

rogaine2233

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 7:13 AM

In real life, I believe Hamm and Slattery are only a few years apart. I think Slattery is about 48 and Hamm is 41? But in the show, Don is 40 and I'm also guessing Roger is about 50.

Inquisitionist

Inquisitionist

Stalker

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 7:16 AM

Almost spot on: Hamm turned 41 in March, and Slattery will be 50 in August.

juliaz3

juliaz3

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 11:01 AM

If Roger was born in 1906, he would have been 35 when Japan bombed Pearl Harbor. That seems too old to jive with the memories he and Annabelle shared in The Gypsy and the Hobo.

I don't remember their conversations too well, but IIRC they were discussing their youth in Paris and Europe in the late '20s and possibly early '30s. So my thoughts were that Roger was born in 1910 at the latest, making him 18 in 1928 and 56 in 1966.

But maybe they lived in Paris in the mid-'30s, and their idyll came to an end as the drums of war grew louder in Europe in the late '30s. Perhaps he was born in 1915 or 16 and would be turning 50 in 1966, a decade older than Don's actual age, and two younger than Bert, who I put at ~70. We have to remember, although MM may not have taken this much into account, ages were different then, and 50 was definitely over the hill while 70 looked and was considered OLD, thus fitting into the impressions that Roger and Bert give.

I think Roger's age has been deliberately left vague. Maybe there will be a big reveal soon.

Edited to add quote for context.

Edited by juliaz3, Apr 24, 2012 @ 11:04 AM.

WaltzinSpringTm

WaltzinSpringTm

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 11:27 AM

I love Roger and Joan so I can't wait for the Weiner interview informing us that the audience expects now they'll get together but that isn't necessarily what happens. For real Matthew, with two seasons left? I'm shocked.

Also I want it pointed out how ironic it is that now Roger is happy and Mr. Honeymoon is desperate just in case MW feels it wasn't obvious enough.

Roger can be a bitch when he's nasty but Slattery played the break-up scene with Jane the next morning really nicely, although I thought how they left her undressed was contrived. It's like - oh, Peyton List is beautiful and we haven't exploited it enough - last chance, so here ya go. I know better, but in scenes like that it feels as if Roger really doesn't dislike most people and actually likes most of them. He should be a great ex-husband.

rogaine2233

rogaine2233

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 11:32 AM

Peyton List is still in the show's opening credits. I think we'll see her just as much as we see her now (which is rarely), at least for this season. Divorce is a process and even though it seemed amicable the morning they both decided to end it, there is bound to be some animosity when it comes time to divide and conquer. That will probably work its way into a few scenes. So I don't think we have to bid Peyton farewell..yet.

What would really be a weird twist is if Jane discovers SHE's pregnant,during the divorce process! So now Roger will have to set up two women independently and support two more children!

Edited by rogaine2233, Apr 24, 2012 @ 11:33 AM.

GreekGeek

GreekGeek

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 6:57 AM

I have to wonder if the real "Chekhov's Gun" in this series isn't Pete's rifle but Roger's heart. I also wonder if Roger was originally scheduled to die in s.1 (where he's listed as a "guest star" in the opening credits) but became too well liked to kill off. We worry that characters will commit suicide when they're miserable, but it would be much more poignant if Roger died right when he was a single man again beginning to enjoy the pleasures of the counterculture. As he showed with taking LSD, he isn't as closed off to the latter as we might expect.

mickbeth

mickbeth

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 11:15 AM

I think somewhere in season one I became convinced that Roger had been born in 1910, based on his service in the South Pacific and further revelations about waiting out the collapse and great depression in Europe before that. Cooper formed the firm around 1920, by the show's chronology, and knew Roger as "Peanut," (looked like an 8 y.o. roger sitting on his knee in that photo) so it can't have been much later than that.

Lollia Pollina

Lollia Pollina

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 11:41 AM

What would really be a weird twist is if Jane discovers SHE's pregnant,during the divorce process! So now Roger will have to set up two women independently and support two more children!

Roger hasn't set up Joan and isn't supporting her child, and Joan hasn't asked him to. I don't think he or anyone else at SCDP knows that her marriage is over.

SueB

SueB

Stalker

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 9:13 PM

It's half-way through the season, I'd thought I'd post "where are they now?" comments. I don't mean to imply I have a bead on this, just my thoughts.

- Roger Roger Roger... fully in man-child mode and accepting that this is who he is
- So the rigged world series let him know it's okay he was born into position and he should use it
- He's got fire back in his belly - for now - so watch out Pete. Then again, he may be beyond yanking Pete's chain. Wait. That would make him mature. Yeah, he'll be yanking Pete's chain I think (unless Don or Burt put an end to it).
- Burt is daddy to him, I think he'll be looking for some approval.
- I expect Roger in every episode with at least 5 quips per episode in no less than 2 scenes. I think he's MW's go-to comedy guy. I also think Roger's arc "peaked" with the LSD trip and we'll see fall-out the rest of the year.

As predicting Mad Men is like predicting the lottery, I'm guessing I get 1 out of 5 things right.

WaltzinSpringTm

WaltzinSpringTm

Fanatic

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 9:25 PM

I imagine Slattery's Roger is a very popular character and scores off the charts in focus groups and this is why his role hasn't diminshed this season and unlike other cast members he's never been just a walk-on or written out for a week altogether. It's weird because I've seen him in a lot of stuff and always as a foil - the guy who makes a plot point but isn't to be taken seriously. In Mad Men, last season and this season - when, I think with the exception of an episode or two, Mad Men's writing has faltered somewhat, I feel like Slattery has been hitting it out of the park. Last season, the episode where Roger and Joan were mugged comes to mind. This season, every episode. Slattery has great chemistry with his own wife and with Christina Hendricks. I loved the Mona/Roger scenes in "Codfish Ball" and just have to accept that along the way Mona has been plenty validated for her feminine appeal and so Roger's playing around and divorcing her for Jane wasn't fatal to their friendship (obviously).

Mariagonerlj

Mariagonerlj

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 11, 2012 @ 12:18 AM

Was that seriously John Slattery's butt in the S5 finale? Because DAMN but baby has got more back than I ever realized if so. No wonder Megan's sexy, amazing, truth-to-power mom was willing to climb him like a tree!

dog lover

dog lover

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 11, 2012 @ 7:18 AM

never mind

Edited by dog lover, Jun 11, 2012 @ 7:19 AM.

newyawk

newyawk

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 11, 2012 @ 7:30 AM

Yeah, didn't really want to see naked Roger butt, thanks Mad Men, lol.

Inquisitionist

Inquisitionist

Stalker

Posted Jul 18, 2012 @ 3:48 PM

Photo No. 5 here is John Slattery before he went prematurely gray. Don't think I've ever seen him with brown hair before!

rogaine2233

rogaine2233

Fanatic

Posted Jul 18, 2012 @ 4:08 PM

I have to respect him for not coloring his hair. Rob Lowe is also prematurely gray, but has been coloring his hair for years.

TC3200

TC3200

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 14, 2013 @ 1:29 PM

In S6 "The Doorway," talking to his daughter after the funeral: I thought he pulled out a roll of bills and was going to hand it to his daughter. I mean really, he was handing out money to everyone in S5, lol. But instead, he pulled out a pack of cigarettes. No wonder she was disappointed.

GreekGeek

GreekGeek

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 14, 2013 @ 4:16 PM

Finding out that his mother lived to be 91 had me wondering again about Roger's age. If we say he's in his mid to late 50s, that means his mother was well over 30 when she had him. That was very old to have a first (and only) child back in the day. I'm wondering to what extent this was a factor in his immaturity.

Inquisitionist

Inquisitionist

Stalker

Posted Apr 14, 2013 @ 4:38 PM

I was wondering about the same thing, GreekGeek. Not only that, but Margaret (Roger and Mona's only child) is supposed to be quite young, maybe 25 by now (she's no older than Jane). So, by the standards of the times, there are substantial age gaps between Roger and his mother AND between Roger and his daughter.

rogaine2233

rogaine2233

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2013 @ 5:11 PM

I think Roger is in his late 40s, much like Slattery himself. He couldn't be much older, having fought in WWII, and even that might have been on the old side (Don was well over 20 when he went to Korea). And I think Mona might be a few years younger.

GreekGeek

GreekGeek

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 14, 2013 @ 5:56 PM

JS was born in August of 1962, making him 50 years old.

I didn't think there was a very big father/daughter age difference between Roger and Margaret.

Edited by GreekGeek, Apr 14, 2013 @ 5:58 PM.

SweetsMcGee

SweetsMcGee

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 14, 2013 @ 6:56 PM

According to wiki, Roger was born in 1917, so he'd be 50 years old in 1967. Not sure where they get the birth year though. Maybe they're going with the actor's actual age.

Cherith

Cherith

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2013 @ 7:02 PM

Man, I thought Roger was older than fifty. Not by looks as John Slattery is a very handsome youtful man, grey hair aside. But just by how he acts and is treated. That means he was fairly young in Season 1?

I believe that he is mid-forties to fifty. Just I had always thought otherwise for no concrete reason.