Roger Sterling: Prematurely Gray

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

163 replies to this topic

dchmello

dchmello

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 29, 2007 @ 1:24 PM

I'm so glad to see this guy in a three dimensional role. He was fun to watch when he first appeared as the new principal on Ed, but that turned out to be a one-note part. Then, he played essentially the same part during his run on Desperate Housewives.

This guy Roger, though, is a great part, because he can be the Boss, the Friend, the Sleazy Guy, the Insecure Dad, and the Silly In Bed Guy. Slattery is awesome at tweaking his mannerisms from scene to scene.

Is he actually a regular cast member, or is he officially a "Special Guest Star?"

unclewiggly

unclewiggly

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 31, 2007 @ 7:48 PM

I noticed the "Special Guest Star" credit for the first time last night too, but it's probably just something his agent negotiated for him with the producers (there's more "prestige" attached to credits that have some kind of qualifier -- eg "...and So-and-so", or "with Whatsherface"), since he can't have top billing (he's a supporting character), but has a (possibly) more extensive resume (or a more persuasive agent) than the rest of the cast.

Rinaldo

Rinaldo

Stalker

• Interests:Music, theater (musical but also other), reading

Posted Sep 2, 2007 @ 7:48 AM

That sort of billing can happen for all sorts of reasons: the one just stated, or if the actor already has a contractual commitment elsewhere so can't be a regular here, or for subtle financial/availability reasons that only agents and actors understand.

cheekymonkey

cheekymonkey

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 3, 2007 @ 10:54 AM

John Slattery is attractive, gray hair or not. There, I've said it. Those scenes of Roger with Joan at the hotel were so hot. It made me long for my past romance with a sexy older man. When Roger was coming on to Betty in the kitchen, the rational part of me was disgusted, but the beasty part of me was "yeah, you can squeeze my butt and I won't tell."

Edited by cheekymonkey, Sep 3, 2007 @ 11:16 AM.

astrokng

astrokng

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 3, 2007 @ 2:44 PM

I loved how Don got back at Roger by paying off the elevator operator and having Roger puffing up 20 flights of stairs. Don lighting up a cigarette on floor 8! What a guy!.

yahyahyahyahyah

yahyahyahyahyah

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 4, 2007 @ 12:27 PM

There is a theory developed in the "Red in the Face" thread that Roger didn't build the company with Cooper; Roger's father did; Roger was born into this job. I'm posting my response over here so as not to run the risk of going off-topic to the episode.

Expanding on this Roger theory:

Cooper is indeed older than Roger, but maybe not by much, maybe by 15 years? Roger is 50?, Cooper is 65? So Roger's father, the elder Mr. Sterling (now deceased, I'm sure) was the guy who really built Sterling Cooper, along with his Boy Wonder at the time, Mr. Cooper (although he'll always be J. Pierrpont Finch to me!) This neatly explains why the company is called Sterling Cooper, when in 1960 Cooper is clearly the boss of Sterling. Also, this can complicate Roger's character. His competitive streak may have formed at an early age when his father paid more attention to Mr. Cooper than to him. Roger may have a secret desire to kill Cooper for that reason. Or maybe not kill. Just wild speculation on my part.

unclewiggly

unclewiggly

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 4, 2007 @ 12:37 PM

I don't think Roger is as old as 50 -- I put him in his early- to mid-40s at most (regardless the premature silver). His rhetoric during the Nixon-brainstorming session is pretty ironic; I don't think Roger is really that much older than Don (who gives him such a look after his "grownups" line), and is probably right around the same age as Nixon, whom he's defending as the voice of wisdom against Kennedy's relative youth.

At any rate, he's enough younger than Bertram Cooper (who, may I say, is so delightfully eccentric) that Cooper remembers him as "peanut" -- more an avuncular relationship than that of the older brother, I think.

Badger75

Badger75

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 11, 2007 @ 11:51 AM

Was wondering if Sterling and Cooper were uncle/nephew? When Don and Roger want to fire Pete, Cooper nixes the idea. Roger stares at an old photo of a child sitting on someone's knee. Cooper says "you were cute back then..." and later chastises Roger for his smoking/drinking excesses.

screamapiller

screamapiller

Fanatic

Posted Sep 12, 2007 @ 5:53 PM

When Roger was coming on to Betty in the kitchen, the rational part of me was disgusted, but the beasty part of me was "yeah, you can squeeze my butt and I won't tell."

You and me both, cheekymonkey.

Even worse than the kitchen scene? My sister and I were discussing our bizarre notions that we both thought Slattery looked smokin' hot immediately post-vomiting. Clearly, there is something very wrong with us.

Snowden

Snowden

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 17, 2007 @ 10:29 PM

"I've lost men like you before. It usually had to do with my unexpressed confidence." Slattery is awesome in this role. He is like the WASP Pacino.

KatyMightHave

KatyMightHave

Just Tuned In

Posted Oct 2, 2007 @ 6:55 PM

Posted this in the episode thread, but I'm repeating it here: JS needs to get an Emmy. The immediacy of his reaction when he saw Mona in the hospital - speaking both to his remorse and his fear that he could die at any second - was just heartbreaking. And so effing real. He played the hell out of that scene. I pitied him when he was "riding" on that twin's back (such a deperate, drunken man - and I pitied the twin too, of course), but I pitied him so much more post-heart-attack. I was thinking "he must be so scared" - and I had to remind myself that he was an actor, and that none of it was real at all. So much talent. If any casting director ever questions his range, all he needs to do is send a tape of that episode and all questions will be answered.

Opus8

Opus8

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 4, 2007 @ 11:33 PM

A short interview with JS at CNN.com. I thought it was funny when he mentioned he was asked to appear on the George Clooney produced "K Street" considering he's married to the former Mrs. Clooney, Talia Balsam aka Mona.

JS CNN interview

SmrtAss

SmrtAss

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 6, 2007 @ 3:27 PM

I was surprised to discover that when John Slattery was on Homefront, playing the love interest for the mother in the series, he was only 28. Kyle Chandler, who played the son was, 25 or 26! No wonder John Slattery has always been able to play a hot older man - he wasn't really older. Even now, he's only 45.

Edited by SmrtAss, Oct 7, 2007 @ 10:44 PM.

newbatgirl

newbatgirl

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 7, 2007 @ 10:43 PM

I know that most of the media attention has gone to Hamm but Hell, how are these people even tearing their eyes away from JS to notice anyone else? I have not seen someone play a bastard so well on TV in YEARS. When he started up with the tears in front of his wife after the heart attack, I wanted to slap him, then hug him because he rocked the scene so damn much.

Noddy

Noddy

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 9, 2007 @ 4:47 PM

At any rate, he's enough younger than Bertram Cooper (who, may I say, is so delightfully eccentric) that Cooper remembers him as "peanut" -- more an avuncular relationship than that of the older brother, I think.

I am speculating on a more sinister shared history between Cooper and Roger. The fact that Cooper kept a picture in his office of Roger as a youngster struck me as a bit odd. The remark, "you were cute back then" seems to have been written into the script in order to provide a provocative clue into Roger and Cooper's past. Which begs the question: Was Cooper abusing Roger at some point in Roger's youth? Is this part of the reason for Cooper's empathetic stance regarding Don's shameful past?

The show seems to have as a subplot the secrets people keep from each other and the deceptive faces people put on for others in order to convincingly play out their roles in life.

Edited by Noddy, Nov 9, 2007 @ 8:43 PM.

QAF Rocks

QAF Rocks

Fanatic

Posted Dec 15, 2007 @ 7:57 PM

I was surprised to discover that when John Slattery was on Homefront, playing the love interest for the mother in the series, he was only 28. Kyle Chandler, who played the son was, 25 or 26! No wonder John Slattery has always been able to play a hot older man - he wasn't really older. Even now, he's only 45.

Wow, really? I thought for sure he was in his 40s when he starred in Homefront. I can't believe he was only 28!

Constantinople

Constantinople

Fanatic

Posted Jul 24, 2008 @ 10:34 AM

There is a theory developed in the "Red in the Face" thread that Roger didn't build the company with Cooper; Roger's father did; Roger was born into this job. I'm posting my response over here so as not to run the risk of going off-topic to the episode.

Expanding on this Roger theory:

Cooper is indeed older than Roger, but maybe not by much, maybe by 15 years? Roger is 50?, Cooper is 65? So Roger's father, the elder Mr. Sterling (now deceased, I'm sure) was the guy who really built Sterling Cooper, along with his Boy Wonder at the time, Mr. Cooper (although he'll always be J. Pierrpont Finch to me!) This neatly explains why the company is called Sterling Cooper, when in 1960 Cooper is clearly the boss of Sterling.

This makes a lot of sense. Otherwise, I can't figure out how on Earth Sterling would the first name in the firm. Everyone else has demonstrated some aptitude for their job; even Pete occassionally has a good idea. All Roger seems to do is drink, screw & barf.

SushiBoat

SushiBoat

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 25, 2008 @ 10:18 AM

Legacy aside, he's the epitome of an agency partner. Here's why:

1. Clients love him
2. He and the CD are a dynamic duo
3. He's laser sharp
4. He's a complete smart ass
5. He keeps the AMs in line (see numbers 3 and 4)
6. He is "the dog and the pony" (which is one of my favorite lines of all time)

Mint Chocolate

Mint Chocolate

Posted Jul 30, 2008 @ 10:25 AM

Please tell me John Slattery's Emmy chances are high this year.

The way I figure, William Shatner has won before. Michael Emerson has won before, in 2001. The Damages nominees could very well cancel each other out. That leaves JS!

DR76

DR76

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 8, 2008 @ 5:56 PM

Surprised? I was shocked. Especially since his leading lady on HOMEFRONT - Wendy Phillips - is a good 12 years older than him. They made a great on-screen pair.

EleanorAquitain

EleanorAquitain

Fanatic

Posted Aug 11, 2008 @ 5:04 PM

Surprised? I was shocked. Especially since his leading lady on HOMEFRONT - Wendy Phillips - is a good 12 years older than him. They made a great on-screen pair.

I loved that show and that pairing. But what I find so funny is that Slattery's character on Homefront was like the anti-Roger: a union organizer who could have cared less about societal conventions regarding love and marriage.

SushiBoat

SushiBoat

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 11, 2008 @ 9:43 PM

According to Ad Age, Slattery will be featured in a spread in the next issue of GQ wearing a Michael Kors line inspired by Mad Men. Seems Michael Kors is also obsessed with Mad Men. (Along with moi.)

Jacob's Hair Dye

Jacob's Hair Dye

Fanatic

Posted Aug 12, 2008 @ 8:52 AM

According to Ad Age, Slattery will be featured in a spread in the next issue of GQ wearing a Michael Kors line inspired by Mad Men. Seems Michael Kors is also obsessed with Mad Men. (Along with moi.)

I think the layout is available on a Mad Men LiveJournal community - he's gorgeous. Enough for me to make icons out of them.

lz1982

lz1982

Fanatic

Posted Aug 13, 2008 @ 10:00 AM

It's John Slattery's birthday today. He's 46.

When I first started watching the show, I also thought he was quite a bit older and was a little weirded out when I found him attractive. I was sort of relieved to learn he was "only" 20 years older than me.

The Other Daughter

The Other Daughter

Stalker

Posted Aug 15, 2008 @ 9:22 AM

Finally saw "Long Weekend" last night and Slattery managed in one episode to oook me out and make my heart break for him as well...now that's acting! He managed to convey a totally misogynistic, perverted, arrogant piece of scum who truly, madly, deeply loves his wife and daughter. Unlike Don's marriage to Betty, (where the adultery is arguably the least of their problems,) I honestly get the feeling that Roger and Mona *work* as a couple in part because he manages to have his affairs without intruding on their relationship. In the meantime, though, his relationship with his daughter is by nature antagonistic because Margaret is a young girl of a generation just starting to rebel against all the sexist shit out there; and her father embodies all that but at the same time she loves her daddy. Exceedingly complex and well written to get across. Bravo! And yeah he definitely has a certain charm for an older man.

glermick

glermick

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 17, 2008 @ 3:37 PM

Oh, That Guy: John Slattery article in today's Boston Globe.

When John Slattery is stopped on the street by people who love his work, they're not always exactly sure what work it is they loved.

"Sometimes you start reciting your list of credits to people and they go 'No, that's not it,' " the "Mad Men" star says over an heirloom-tomato salad lunch at an airy restaurant here. "They always put their finger on it eventually."

LeDucDiableBleu

LeDucDiableBleu

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 21, 2008 @ 11:45 AM

I was first turned off by his character because of his cheating and also when he called Joan a piece of ass. However, I've warmed to him now and I think John Slattery is the perfect embodiement of the role! He's so funny, quick and you can't be angry at him (the character) that long. I agree he's made some bad decisions regarding Sterling Cooper's business, but he also seems like someone who you'd love to work with. It's a strange dichotomy and he can flip between them so well. I go from loving to hating back to loving him in the span of one episode.

Someone in the fashion thread really pegged the way he dresses, too! I love his suits and how wears them so well.

Scaramanga

Scaramanga

Fanatic

Posted Aug 25, 2008 @ 9:58 AM

Roger broke my heart last night. He seems so lost lately.

MaryWebGirl

MaryWebGirl

Fanatic

Posted Aug 26, 2008 @ 5:31 PM

Maybe he could attempt to establish a relationship with his wife.

Scaramanga

Scaramanga

Fanatic

Posted Sep 21, 2008 @ 8:13 PM

Mr. Slattery, you're always a winner in our eyes. Emmy, Schmemmy.