Speculation Without Spoilers

• Please log in to reply

757 replies to this topic

Sister Magpie

Sister Magpie

Fanatic

Posted Nov 27, 2013 @ 7:37 PM

The other event that happened in 1969 that I think affected everyone was the moon landing. Like JFK's shooting, I remember exactly where I was that summer and listening to the radio as the astronauts talked. Hilton wanted hotels on the moon. Don and Roger once discussed John Glenn's parade in an earlier episode. I wouldn't expect the better part of an episode to center around it, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't mentioned. 

You're right--that does seem like another one that would be important. I could easily imagine an ep ending with everyone in their own space watching it on TV, for instance. And even if they didn't feature it in an ep I'd expect some reference to it. Imagine someone saying "They can put a man on the moon, but..." for the very first time!

They have kept their eye on that aspect of the 60s, after all. You mentioned John Glenn, and of course there was also the "pictures from space" conversation between Pete and Beth Dawes and later Pete and Harry (and I think someone pointed out that after that Pete had the picture taped up in his office). It's something that gives people a different perspective. Born in a barn; died in a skyscraper etc.

I'm glad you brought up the Tate/LaBianca murders. After all the bro-ha-ha surrounding Megan's choice of T-shirt in "The Better Half", I'm wondering if the fact that she seems to be going off to pursue her acting career in California would start fueling the rumors again. It would be conceivable that she, out of all the characters, would be most likely to run into that crowd.

I thought that too. Not that Megan will literally hang out with Sharon Tate and encourage Don to get a Jay Seibring haircut, but if she's an actress in California she'd be plugged into the Hollywood scene on some level and in that scene the fringes can be the darkest place to be. (Charles Manson himself basically lived there.) There seemed like a real point made in Tale of Two Cities about how the California in Don's mind was being replaced by something else. He no longer fit in there the way he did in those early Jet Set days. Neither did Roger. But Danny did (even if he still wasn't cool) so that to me hinted at something interesting. 

bosawks

bosawks

Fanatic

Posted Nov 27, 2013 @ 7:56 PM

They have to do something on the Miracle Mets. If Chekov's pennant doesn't go off I'm going to be annoyed....

rogaine2233

rogaine2233

Fanatic

Posted Nov 30, 2013 @ 12:23 PM

Judging from what I've read in the few interviews and media reports that have circulated since MM started filming again, it seems a safe bet to say Ted is back in some form next season. Not sure aboutBob; JW's show is doing well and the character was supposed tube relocating to Detroit anyway.

Nothing in the news about Pare but that could be intentional. Still, I hope Megan ended up going to California without Don. And that she will start to fall in with the Sharon Tate crowd.

We do know they were filming at LAX though we don't know which cast members were there. And given other airport scenes we have seen, it LAX could be a stand in for any airport...the scenes with Roger out t Idlewild were probably filmed at LAX.

There was not much explanation about why Pete was going to California, but my guess is that the agency does see the potential to score new business out there. Ted can't be pitching that on his own. And Pete does have a lot of defense contractor contacts from his last trip out there. Maybe with Don gone, they can go back to North American Aviation. And it never made sense to just have a creative person out there anyway. It should have been an accounts person at the minimum. Maybe one creative. The creative could still be done in NY though, even in pre fax/computer days. Airmail, phones, etc. I worked on several accounts from field offices in my day, where the creative department was 1000miles away.

ETA: also, even though he may not leave NY, I think S7 will see Don start over again in some way. He told Lane that he's started over a lot in life and that this (getting fired and losing everything and having to make a plan) was the hardest part. Lane was not strong enough for that but Don is a scrapper and a survivor.

Edited by rogaine2233, Nov 30, 2013 @ 12:54 PM.

Geeni

Geeni

Fanatic

Posted Nov 30, 2013 @ 3:46 PM

I don't think Megan is going anywhere. Weiner pretty much said there could be a death this season, but I think it's more likely to be Roger, Cooper, or even Don.

We know Ted's coming back, and Bob could potentially come back for guest appearances if it fits the story, as, iirc, last season left it open but could also fit as being the end of him. 

There was a report a few weeks ago that five of the principal cast was filming at the Red Cross. I'm going to guess that means the partners, though we don't know if Don is included in that list. Pete too. Considering that they couldn't really let Peggy stay away from everyone else very long, it wouldn't surprise me if something had happened that makes Pete and Ted return to the NY offices.

Edited by Geeni, Nov 30, 2013 @ 3:47 PM.

rogaine2233

rogaine2233

Fanatic

Posted Nov 30, 2013 @ 3:57 PM

I hope they don't kill off Don. Not because of any loyalty or love for Don, but Breaking Bad went this route and even though Weinercould have had this ending in his head for years, after BB killed off their protagonist, it would just feel like so much "me too" to me.

More logical would be Bert or Roger,though for shock value, I suppose they could kill off someone younger and healthier.

They could even off Henry, setting a possible stage for Don and Betty part II, but that would seem like sloppy writing to me. They had their one night roll in the hay and the détente they've established seems like the healthiest relationship they've ever had and long term, it's best for the kids. Still, seeing Betty cope with widowhood could be interesting.

BurnThis

BurnThis

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 2, 2013 @ 6:51 PM

I'm a sucker for sloppy writing and would love to see Don and Betty get back together.  I don't want to see Don killed off either, but there are a few of the other characters I wouldn't mind going the way of Brian on Family Guy.  Megan should be run over by a tour bus as she walks around Hollywood.  Pete could die from complications of hair transplant surgery, Ginsburg can kill Duck as he improves on his Xacto knife throwing and plays Russian Roulette instead.  And can we bring back Lee Garner, Jr., just to show him with a hole in his neck puffing away on his last Lucky Strike before keeling over?

penelope79

penelope79

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 3, 2013 @ 6:41 AM

I'm a sucker for sloppy writing and would love to see Don and Betty get back together.

THIS!!

Geeni

Geeni

Fanatic

Posted Mar 9, 2014 @ 8:45 PM

Does SC&P still have Mohawk? I'm wondering if, based on the teaser, they end up getting TWA somehow. And in 1969, there were a few hijacks. We saw how the agency dealt with Flight 1 (and they didn't even officially have the account then), I would love to see how they handle the hijackings. Especially since it would be for an account they actually HAVE.