• Please log in to reply

2125 replies to this topic

SueB

SueB

Stalker

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 2:19 PM

So apparently the guy behind Lost started writing X-4 fanfic on his twitter:

Damon Lindelof ‏ @DamonLindelof
If I can't read "The Punishment of X-4" immediately, I'm gonna write it myself.
I have seriously spent the last two hours writing MAD MEN FanFic. I need to get back to TV.(note came as 3rd tweet)
DATE OF INCIDENT: 14 Sagittarius, 2785. LOCATION: Aristophanes Interplanetary Span (“The A Bridge”) CAUSE: Automaton Malfunction
"Let the transcript reflect the Supervisor cites artificial responsibility."
"Comrade... you understand that by doing so, The Code requires the presence of an Artificial Intellect for these proceedings?"
"Nephytus, while rich in Gallium, offers a hostile atmosphere and no naturally occurring source of fresh water.
"The solution seemed obvious... create a commuter colony that would work on Nephytus, but live on Aton."
"Comrade, in your own words, explain to us the history and function of the Aristophanes Span."
"The X-4 has a purely binary function. Insert. Or Remove."
Also, @EWDocJensen has requested I abandon X-4 and write the story about the woman who lays eggs. I have already classily titled it, "Ova."

I. Can't. Even. 1) that he writes fanfic 2) that it's from Mad Men 3) I REALLY wish he'd work w/ Matt Weiner and finish it. It would SELL.

ETA: And Jaguar's ad agency sent an openletter to SCDP

Edited by SueB, Apr 19, 2012 @ 2:24 PM.

SueB

SueB

Stalker

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 8:36 PM

TV Line interview with VK on Pete's future-ish

And yes, I was the Twitter tipster.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 8:46 AM

This is a lot of fun: Mad Men bowling against Weird Al (and the Nerdist, etc.)

StrangeFruit86

StrangeFruit86

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 10:32 AM

Are requests allowed? I have been trying to find a video of the entire Paleyfest interview but am only able to see clips. How do I get my hands on the entire thing?

newyawk

newyawk

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 6:17 PM

delete--just saw it mentioned in another thread, never mind.

Edited by newyawk, Apr 27, 2012 @ 6:26 PM.

SilverSky66

SilverSky66

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 4:51 AM

Kiernan on Late Night
I want to be Kiernan Shipka when I grow up...except I'm twice her age.

I want her dress! So cute. I don't care if technically I'm a little old for it, I love breaking silly fashion rules. And anyhow, it's so demure. Not everyone wants to look like a whore. LOL

rogaine2233

rogaine2233

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 5:59 PM

Has anyone seen The Orange Couch reviews of Mad Men on You Tube? Couch Baron does an awesome job...not trying to take away from that. But these combine the video from the show with the commentary.

Edited by TWoP Mars, May 5, 2012 @ 1:41 PM.
Off topic; moved from episode thread

Inquisitionist

Inquisitionist

Stalker

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 10:00 AM

Set your DVR! From Entertainment Weekly:

Mad Men Goes Inside the Actors StudioJames Lipton wants you to know that his sit-down with the cast of Mad Men is a major event. "They were on my stage for nearly six hours," he says. "I finally threw them out at about 12:30 [a.m.]." The resulting hour-long episode (airing May 14 on Bravo) has some emotional moments, including Jon Hamm speaking about his difficult youth. "You can see all the people around him are just riveted," Lipton says. "He's revealing things about himself that are in Don Draper." ­But it was far from all seriousness. "Some moments were very jolly," says Lipton.
—Darren Franich

My only complaint is that with this many people involved, the broadcast should be 2 hours long.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 1:47 PM

My only complaint is that with this many people involved, the broadcast should be 2 hours long.

I have another complaint: James Lipton. But since he HAS to be involved, I'll have to tolerate him.

There have been 2-hour shows, and I hope this is another one.

SueB

SueB

Stalker

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 2:01 PM

Any idea when it was filmed and who was on stage?

Inquisitionist

Inquisitionist

Stalker

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 2:04 PM

I have another complaint: James Lipton.

Well, yeah, but that's a given. ;-)

There have been 2-hour shows, and I hope this is another one.

The EW blurb says hour-long. We can hope, but when the cast of Everybody Loves Raymond was on, I think it still ran just one hour.

SueB, in the EW photo, you can see Hamm, Jones, Slattery, and Hendricks. I don't have any other info yet.

Sister Magpie

Sister Magpie

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 2:45 PM

Kiernan Shipka is also there. And I could see a male person behind her, but couldn't see who it was.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 5:10 PM

The EW blurb says hour-long.

Oh. Grrrr.

I did a bit of googling and found that it was taped March 21. Weiner is also there.

SueB

SueB

Stalker

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 5:29 PM

I did a bit of googling and found that it was taped March 21. Weiner is also there.

Grrr indeed. That means that it's Weiner behind Kiernan and no Kartheiser or Harris (presuming there are only the 6 chairs on the stage).

rogaine2233

rogaine2233

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 6:27 PM

Grrr indeed.

Double that Grrr. If MW was there, then he most likely monopolized the conversation. Hamm's a talker too, meaning the others probably didn't get to say much. :(

But I'll watch it!

Espy

Espy

Couch Potato

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 4:08 AM

Inside the Actors Studio makes me cringe a little. The interview will just be Jon Hamm and Weiner talking about stuff they've said over and over again in the press. As much as I adore Jon Hamm, I'd love for the others to get some words in. Particularly John Slattery and Vincent Kartheiser, if he's even there. They seem like interesting people and I find their characters riveting.

Inquisitionist

Inquisitionist

Stalker

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 4:45 PM

Slate interviewed Alexis Bledel about last night's episode:

Bledel: ... [Pete] completely loses his footing the day that he meets her. As does Don in this episode when Megan leaves the agency. They both are a little out of control and beholden to these women. They feel helpless, and I think that’s the theme of this episode.

Slate: When did you film it?

Bledel: I filmed it starting in November.

Slate: Was it hard to maintain the surprise for six months?

Bledel: Yes! It was really hard. I was really happy to do it, because it’s the only way to be involved in the show—that’s how they do it—but it was hard. I really tried not to tell anyone.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 8:27 PM

Here's a clip from the Inside the Actors Studio ep. You can see that there's also Vincent and Jared on stage. YAY!

queen of mean

queen of mean

Video Archivist

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 7:05 AM

NPR's Morning Edition reported the (unconfirmed?) cost for MW to license 'Tomorrow Never Knows':

http://www.npr.org/2...ord-in-business

$250K! It is kind of weird that the cost of licensing prohibits the show from portraying the rising ubiquity of music in public places - discussed extensively in the "Lady Lazarus" thread....particularly how it illustrates the "generation gap".

rogaine2233

rogaine2233

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 7:47 AM

Here's a clip from the Inside the Actors Studio ep. You can see that there's also Vincent and Jared on stage. YAY!

Shipka is cute. So very poised at such a young age. Why does Hamm look so embarrassed while she's performing?

Tafatia

Tafatia

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 8:16 AM

Jessica Pare and January Jones attended the Costume Institute (Met) Gala 2012 last night in New York.

Photos of Jessica:
http://www.justjared...-met-ball-2012/

Photos of January:

Edited by Tafatia, May 8, 2012 @ 8:22 AM.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 8:24 AM

Shipka is cute. So very poised at such a young age. Why does Hamm look so embarrassed while she's performing?

I wondered about that, too. Maybe it's the dancing-bear aspect of it that Lipton often asks for.

Shipka is not just cute; she's beautiful. I can't wait to see how gorgeous she becomes when she grows up. And, of course, she's not just physical beautiful, but she's smart, poised, talented, and smart.

Princess Louie

Princess Louie

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 9:46 AM

Here's The New York Times report on how they got permission to use "Tomorrow Never Knows."

“It was always my feeling that the show lacked a certain authenticity because we never could have an actual master recording of the Beatles performing,” Matthew Weiner, the creator and show runner of “Mad Men,” said in a telephone interview on Monday. “Not just someone singing their song or a version of their song, but them, doing a song in the show. It always felt to me like a flaw. Because they are the band, probably, of the 20th century.”

As with most transactions that involve the Beatles, that usage did not come cheap. According to two people briefed on the deal, who were not authorized to speak about it, Lionsgate, the studio that produces “Mad Men,” paid about $250,000 for the recording and publishing rights to the song. That is an appropriately high price, several music and advertising executives say, since many major pop songs can be licensed for less than $100,000.

Mr. Weiner declined to discuss the licensing costs, but said: “Whatever people think, this is not about money. It never is. They are concerned about their legacy and their artistic impact.”

Edited by Princess Louie, May 8, 2012 @ 9:48 AM.

newyawk

newyawk

Couch Potato

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 11:05 AM

There is a news story right now about a missing Hollywood exec, Gavin Smith, that just reminded me very much of Don Draper..this guy just up and left with no word to anyone, just drove off, and is now considered missing:

http://news.yahoo.co...topstories.html

rogaine2233

rogaine2233

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 6:24 PM

Yuck! Yuck! Yuck! Flipping through People magazine while waiting for my daughter at the orthodontist and they had a piece on stars withoutmamdrop of makeup. Jessica Pare was one featured. They called her "Mad Men Breakout Star"!

Yuck!

newyawk

newyawk

Couch Potato

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 7:11 PM

Jessica Pare and January Jones attended the Costume Institute (Met) Gala 2012 last night in New York.

Photos of Jessica:

Photos of January:

They both look smashing! I really like JP's metallic dress.

neonlite

neonlite

Couch Potato

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 7:30 PM

That link didn't work for me. Here's another:
My link

January looked stunning.Maybe Don should rethink.

newyawk

newyawk

Couch Potato

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 10:03 PM

like it's up to Don, lol.

bombayduck

bombayduck

Channel Surfer

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 1:47 AM

Jon Hamm answered five questions from teenage girls on Rookie's Ask a Grown Man feature.

http://rookiemag.com...-a-grown-man-5/

Hamm is very, very sensible.

Inquisitionist

Inquisitionist

Stalker

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 10:40 AM

January looked stunning.

Sorry, but I can't get past her appalling sense of "style" or lack thereof. The dress (or should I say bustier with a peplum) is bad enough, but the necklace doesn't belong within 8 miles of it.

Not crazy about the quasi-sleeves on Paré's dress, but otherwise like it.

Edited by Inquisitionist, May 10, 2012 @ 10:40 AM.