Glark

Glark

Posted Aug 28, 2007 @ 2:28 PM

Media-y!

Jenny O

Jenny O

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 28, 2007 @ 6:20 PM

Just as I'm reveling in the unexpected, and unannounced, joy of Mad Men on TWoP--

I get my weekly New Republic email with the lead story: "Mad Men" is all style, no substance. (Registration may be required, I'm not sure.) The folks from the old thread who complained of anviliciousness will find a kindred spirit in the reviewer. I, though, am happy to ignore this review and keep squeeing about having this great show recapped here.

eavj

eavj

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 29, 2007 @ 7:37 AM

It was mentioned in the old thread, but I thought I'd repeat it here . . . Jon Hamm will be on Jimmy Kimmel tonight.

stillife

stillife

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 29, 2007 @ 7:49 AM

Jon Hamm will be on Jimmy Kimmel tonight.

He's also going to be on Tavis Smiley tonight, on PBS.

glermick

glermick

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 29, 2007 @ 11:12 AM

There's a nice review of Mad Men in today's Boston Globe (I would link but I haven't figured out how to do that). The reviewer just might have been reading Couch Baron's recap:

Don, played effortlessly by Jon Hamm, is a two-timer, hoping to be a three-timer. He is a fraud selling his created identity -- "Don Draper, advertising god" -- as he might sell a line of lipstick. (My pet theory about Don's past, which is emerging slowly: He is a Jew, and that's why he's compelled toward Jewish department-store owner Rachel Menken.)

Vertebrat

Vertebrat

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 29, 2007 @ 12:11 PM

Here's the link to the Boston Globe story.

Demian

Demian

Network Executive

Posted Aug 29, 2007 @ 4:13 PM

Drooly article on the production design, from last week.

eavj

eavj

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 30, 2007 @ 7:17 AM

He's also going to be on Tavis Smiley tonight, on PBS.

I managed to catch both of Jon Hamm's TV appearances last night. On Tavis Smiley, he was fairly serious. TS seemed to like the show and asked how JH felt about the times (1960) and advertising in general. Hamm mentioned that people are more savvy about media these days and less easily duped.

He was much looser on Jimmy Kimmel. He talked about his hobby (fantasy football) and how he's been to JK's house to watch football. He also talked about how, now that the show has wrapped, he's going on vacation with his girlfriend.

Finally, he talked about how he broke his right hand in one of the final episodes. He was doing a stunt during a flashback to the war. He said to watch for one scene in particular where he's smoking with his left hand and hiding his right arm (which had a cast). I'm putting this in spoiler tags because of the mention of the war flashback. I'm sure we all assumed there would be one, but just in case . . .

franabanana

franabanana

Fanatic

Posted Aug 30, 2007 @ 8:12 AM

Nice little write up about the show and tonight's episode in Salon TV Daily this morning. Minorly spoilerish, so don't click through if you want complete and total surprise.

elvira7

elvira7

Fanatic

Posted Aug 30, 2007 @ 1:01 PM

An appreciation by Huffington Post blogger Jon Robin Baitz

The Long Comic-Tragic Death of the American Soul. On TV.

maatkare

maatkare

Fanatic

Posted Aug 30, 2007 @ 4:17 PM

Saw John on Tavis' show. It's amazing how insanely scruffy he looks without the pomaded hair & clean chin. Like Don after a weeklong bender.

iMissEthan

iMissEthan

Stalker

Posted Aug 30, 2007 @ 6:36 PM

I saw him on Jimmy Kimmel. I thought he looked like crap. His hair was bad, and he looked really pasty. He said they had just wrapped for the season, and he also said that he broke his right hand doing a stunt on the show in a flashback of a war scene that got out of hand. He & Jimmy Kimmel must be friendly through another guy, because he's been to Jimmy's house for Sunday football parties.

He said he had to smoke lefty for one episode due to his broken hand, so keep a look out for that.

dreamy

dreamy

Stalker

Posted Aug 31, 2007 @ 10:30 PM

From The South Florida Sun-Sentinel "Truth and Lies of AMC's Mad Men."

XJill

XJill

Fanatic

Posted Sep 1, 2007 @ 8:05 PM

Ye old Museum of Television & Radio is having a Mad Men panel in October. Barring ticket shenanigans I will be there!

Just remembered, it's not MTR anymore, but their new name is too freaking long to type out and tells you nothing (IMHO).

dreamy

dreamy

Stalker

Posted Sep 1, 2007 @ 9:53 PM

Awww, XJill, I was totally stoked until I realized that you meant the MTR in LA, not in NY.

You must come back with a full report!

pixelly

pixelly

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 1, 2007 @ 10:36 PM

transcript of the Tavis Smiley interview with Jon Hamm
there is also an audio stream of the interview on the site.

AuntiePam

AuntiePam

Fanatic

Posted Sep 2, 2007 @ 8:21 AM

Link

Very brief chat with Matt Weiner on NPR Sunday morning, talking about smoking, hunting, and plastic bags.

Edited by TWoP Mars, Sep 2, 2007 @ 8:51 PM.
Fixed coding

Cotton Eye Joan

Cotton Eye Joan

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 2, 2007 @ 7:41 PM

This is a bit old, but I was surprised that Tom Shales doesn't much like it.

elvira7

elvira7

Fanatic

Posted Sep 3, 2007 @ 6:38 PM

From The Nation:

Mad Men's Retro Charm

dreamy

dreamy

Stalker

Posted Sep 3, 2007 @ 6:53 PM

The Nation review is interesting (though I didn't consider the need to see a psychiatrist a 'blatant' rip-off of The Sopranos).

What bugs me big-time about it is that he keeps calling Betty "Betsy," not once which would just be a typo, but several times. Did he really watch this show?

Dregel00X

Dregel00X

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 4, 2007 @ 12:06 AM

Kartheiser is no. 8 in "Entertainment Weekly´s" Must list:

http://www.ew.com/ew...0054061,00.html

Interview with Kartheiser from "Giant magazine"

http://www.giantmag....ad-man-talks/1/

lilarose6

lilarose6

Fanatic

Posted Sep 4, 2007 @ 12:58 AM

That is so cool about Kartheiser's performance getting praise. I thought I was the only one who liked Pete; it's nice to see some in the media note that there's just something about Kartheiser's performance that makes it hard to completely hate Pete.

sunworshipper

sunworshipper

Fanatic

Posted Sep 6, 2007 @ 10:57 AM

Interview with Jon Hamm at TVGuide.com: http://www.tvguide.c...-hamm/070906-01

Excerpt:

At the end of the day, [Mad Men's] a story of a guy who takes control of his own life, makes decisions and doesn't look back. And I think that's the American dream in a lot of ways, sad though it may be.

eavj

eavj

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 6, 2007 @ 11:10 AM

Interview with Jon Hamm at TVGuide.com

Thanks for the link.

I, too, was surprised that the lead role was given to a relatively unknown actor, but I think it worked out beautifully. JH is doing a great job, and the fact that the actor is not so familiar helps with the whole mystery element of the character.

Glowegal

Glowegal

Fanatic

Posted Sep 6, 2007 @ 8:17 PM

Interview with Bryan Batt in the current issue of Out magazine.

JennyDiver

JennyDiver

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 7, 2007 @ 6:22 AM

Starry Constellation Magazine has an interview with Christina Hendricks , also available as a podcast!

dreamy

dreamy

Stalker

Posted Sep 13, 2007 @ 11:58 AM

From tvguide.com, an interview with Elisabeth Moss.

Edited by dreamy, Sep 13, 2007 @ 11:58 AM.

Sunshine64

Sunshine64

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 19, 2007 @ 3:08 PM

Ausiello is reporting that Mad Men has been renewed. Here's the Ask Ausiello link.

He mentions the renewal towards the bottom.

pixelly

pixelly

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 19, 2007 @ 6:11 PM

Yes, Variety is reporting it too

Glowegal

Glowegal

Fanatic

Posted Sep 20, 2007 @ 9:33 AM

Artie Lange and Robin Quivers just gave the show a big plug on today's Howard Stern Show.