1-9: "Father Knows Best" 2006.11.26 (recap)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

40 replies to this topic

Jose Cheung

Jose Cheung

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 29, 2007 @ 12:52 PM

He's already got the classic rock collection. I remember at the end of this ep, there's a scene where Dex is sitting in his living room, and "Who'll Stop the Rain?" is playing in the background. It looked to me like he was holding an album cover in his hand. I think that he took at least some of the LP's, and the stereo, home with him after they cleaned out Joe's house.

corvus13

corvus13

Stalker

Posted Apr 14, 2008 @ 11:17 AM

Since Harry knew where Joe was, and since Joe apparently knew that Harry had Dexter (witness the blood donation and the card), I'm wondering if Harry didn't arrange for Joe's new identity when he first became Dexter's foster father, including finding him a new house.

Joe's previous life probably had a lot to do with Dex's mother's death.

MamaBird

MamaBird

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 14, 2008 @ 12:26 PM

I loved this episode. Nothing like a couples weekend, with two serial killers and their dates! When Rudy put on the music and started playing air guitar, and then he and Deb were dancing -- man, that really made me feel sorry for Deb. He seems like such a fun guy, a little creepy but she doesn't seem to think so. If he really was the person he's pretending to be, they'd make a great couple! Poor Deb and her doomed love affair.

negrilchick

negrilchick

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 14, 2008 @ 2:29 PM

Deb always bugs me, as she is the anti-negrilchick (I don't spontaneously dance, I would never sleep with someone I've only gone out with a few times, I don't cry or get emotional very often). But, I do realize she is a nice counter-point to Dexter, so I give her a pass most of the time. And, no, I'm not a serial killer. Hee.

That said, Rudy freaks me out. Even if I didn't know what I know about his "hobby", I would still be creeped out by him - the actor is just kind of tall, dark and eerily brooding. Which is why they cast him, right? But it would be nice if one of the social misfits in the weekend couples gang sensed that he was off. But, that would be asking a bit much, I guess.

Driad

Driad

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2008 @ 4:51 PM

What was supposed to be the big deal about Dexter's blood type? First, AB- blood type is not nearly as rare as they implied. The prevalence in the US is about 0.6%, which is 6 people per 1000. A large hospital could easily have 1000 staff and patients, and the blood bank would have records of donors with rare types. So there would have been quite a few possible donors nearby. Second, AB- people can receive blood of any type as long as it is Rh-. So 15% of people would be potential donors. If the blood bank was completely out of Rh- blood, that's very poor management. Third, an AB child need not have an AB parent.

If they needed a scenario in which Dexter's biological father had to be found, they could have found a plausible one.

Mad Queen

Mad Queen

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 14, 2008 @ 5:38 PM

AB- people can receive blood of other Rh- types, but giving AB- blood to AB- people is the preferred procedure in hospitals. It would have been more realistic if the hospital was requesting a donor to replace the blood units they spent on Dexter.

Stormyweather

Stormyweather

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 14, 2008 @ 10:20 PM

I can't believe they edited out the original opening of this episode - Rita & Dex's shower scene. It was pretty harmless, no nudity, no sex. I can't figure it out.

silverangelaunt

silverangelaunt

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2008 @ 8:36 AM

I can't believe they edited out the original opening of this episode

That does seem strange that they would edit the shower scene out, it was important to establish that Dexter and Rita were moving forward in their relationship and his monologue in the shower made it clear that he recognizes that he is in a "real" relationship. Plus the stuff with Cody and Astor in the bathroom was cute. And when are Dexter and Rita going to get a bigger house, that house has 2 bedrooms and only one bathroom, they can do better!

Edited by silverangelaunt, Apr 15, 2008 @ 8:37 AM.

Stormyweather

Stormyweather

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 15, 2008 @ 8:54 AM

Exactly, silverangelaunt. That opening scene framed the entire episode. Dexter admitting he is in a real relationship, dealing with a girlfriend & kids invading his space. The entire episode was him just wanting to be alone and never getting the chance. The scene at the end makes more sense, him telling Rita that he was glad she came along, if you watched the first scene.

John Potts

John Potts

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2008 @ 7:08 AM

I didn't understand Doakes in this episode. After he "takes out the trash" on the Hiatian dude, Angel more or less tells him that he'll say whatever Doakes wants him to say (in fact he lies about the order of the shots). So why didn't Doakes simply "ammend" his story to cover the blood spatter evidence (unless it showed that the shot had been at close range to the back of the head, or something like that) to cover what really happened. Though Doakes does acknowledge that Angel was covering for him (a bit) when he gets the other cop to apologise for Angel for calling him a rat, but it all seemed a bit unnecessary.

Deb - get a clue. When your boyfriend turns down a week end of sex with you to spend time with your brother, he's probably gay and is only using you to get to him. Or he's a serial killer with a fixation on your brother, but how likely is that?

I find find the depiction of Rita very believable - she can take control over the phone, but rather less so in person. Though her baseball bat did even things up a bit!

ETA: Incidentally, the Hiatian Secret Police were the Tonton Macoute and not Tonton Machete, as it says in the recap.

Edited by John Potts, Apr 24, 2008 @ 7:18 AM.

BroughtBackIn

BroughtBackIn

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 31, 2012 @ 9:09 PM

Aren't these specific threads supposed to be for individual episodes without spoilers? Thank GOD I watched the entire series before coming in here to read anything. I know this show is 6 years old, but some people do pick up shows long after they have started.