Spoiler Discussion: Behind the Air Conditioner

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

1879 replies to this topic

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted Aug 20, 2007 @ 1:43 PM

We all know that episode 1 and 2 for season 2 are floating out there in the interwebs, chat about them here. In case you aren't sure what a spoiler is, here's a link to the sites FAQs

Edited by Puds38, Aug 20, 2007 @ 1:47 PM.

tippytootagon

tippytootagon

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 20, 2007 @ 3:28 PM

How do you guys think the writers are going to wiggle their way out of this cliffhanger? I find it highly unlikely that Dexter just kill somebody (probably Lundy) and he just gets away scott free. And it seems a bit of a copout to just blame the murders on somebody else and just forget about the whole thing. How can this whole plot be resolved without Dexter getting caught?

SamuelLChang

SamuelLChang

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 20, 2007 @ 3:45 PM

I'm sure they have something in mind...as I doubt they only intended on having 2 seasons. I'm not that creative when it comes to this kinda thing so I really have no idea what they are planning. I just hope they haven't rushed into the "Bay Harbor Butcher" plot. At first glance, it seems as if there is no solution other than Dexter being caught.

The writers delivered on S1 and I'm confident they won't let us down.

Edited by SamuelLChang, Aug 20, 2007 @ 3:46 PM.

LolaRuns

LolaRuns

Stalker

Posted Aug 20, 2007 @ 3:59 PM

I'm actually really curious what will come about of Dexter's supposed drug addiction (in Rita's eyes) and what he'll do to get her trust back.

gmanicus

gmanicus

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 21, 2007 @ 8:55 AM

How do you guys think the writers are going to wiggle their way out of this cliffhanger? I find it highly unlikely that Dexter just kill somebody (probably Lundy) and he just gets away scott free. And it seems a bit of a copout to just blame the murders on somebody else and just forget about the whole thing. How can this whole plot be resolved without Dexter getting caught?

My speculation would be the following (book 2 spoilers): although they said they weren't following book 2 to the letter, I think they are still going to follow the main element (Dr. Danco). Season 1 of Dexter alluded to Doake's dark past in the special forces and the hit squad member who he found murdered. I think it's possible that this plot point might arise again and Dr. Danco might make an appearance, taking the heat off of Dexter and becoming the "Bay Harbor Butcher." I think each season Dexter needs some sort of rival serial killer as his nemesis and Dr. Danco would be it.

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted Aug 21, 2007 @ 11:55 AM

gmanicus, you don't have to use spoiler bars in the spoiler thread.

Edited by Puds38, Aug 21, 2007 @ 11:55 AM.

LolaRuns

LolaRuns

Stalker

Posted Aug 21, 2007 @ 12:00 PM

But they are book spoilers, not show spoilers.

topdeck

topdeck

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 21, 2007 @ 12:18 PM

But they are book spoilers, not show spoilers.

There's a book thread for that :)

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted Aug 21, 2007 @ 12:42 PM

Interesting interview on Yahoo!tv. I'm parking it here because it contains spoilers.

The second season resumes 38 days after the conclusion of the first season, with Dexter feeling somewhat stifled by (a) Sgt. Doakes' constant surveillance and (b) having his sister as a roommate. It's no wonder he's having some trouble performing. As Dexter says, "Maybe I'm just a little rusty after killing my brother."

Stormyweather

Stormyweather

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 21, 2007 @ 2:01 PM

Thanks, Puds38. Great article. It also addresses the main problem I had with the show. I don't care about Angel's marriage or Doakes relationship with his family. I care about Dexter and what happens in Dexter's world. For the most part, the first two episodes this season seem to have made improvements in this area.

From the article:

Stupid Chief" Syndrome: Even the most dearly devoted Dexter fans acknowledged that season one wasn't perfect. The station-house scenes, for example, were pretty frustrating, recalling what Homer Simpson shouts to his TV when the conventional bureaucrat on his favorite crime procedural tries once again to thwart renegade cop McGarnagle: "It means he gets results, you stupid chief!"

"One thing we discovered," admits show runner Clyde Phillips (below, with Daniel Cerone), is that when Dexter's onscreen, the power's there...The show's called Dexter, [so] what we tried to do this year, more so than last year, is have storylines intersect with Dexter's world. We have a wonderfully diverse—in every sense of the word—cast, [and] we're working this year [to have] their stories conflate with wherever Dexter is."

Edited by Stormyweather, Aug 21, 2007 @ 2:06 PM.

HungryHippo2004

HungryHippo2004

Fanatic

Posted Aug 21, 2007 @ 7:32 PM

From sides for episode 9, titled Resistance is Futile, the FBI will discover that the Bay Harbor Butcher is someone from inside the P.D. We'll think that they suspect Dexter when he is picked up by two FBI agents but it's a red herring - Dexter is instead placed under the protection of the FBI, suggesting that they believe he's a potential victim rather than the killer himself.

Also by episode 9, Dexter and Rita have split, though a reunion is on the cards. It seems the breakup had something to do with Lila, Dexter's sponsor.

Oh, and Doakes travels to Haiti in order to get some blood slides analysed under the radar.

Mindymoo

Mindymoo

Fanatic

Posted Aug 21, 2007 @ 8:23 PM

Thanks for the info, HungryHippo. Other than the first two episodes I've seen online, and the general, vague spoilers I've read about the season, this is really the first real info I've heard about any of the episodes. Does anyone know if Dexter gets involved in an actual romantic relationship with Lila, at least, as romantic as it can get with Dexter, or does Rita just perceive it that way?

SamuelLChang

SamuelLChang

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 21, 2007 @ 10:09 PM

Thanks for the info. So if this happens in episode 9 and there are 12 episodes, I don't see them realistically solving the case this season. Sounds like a nice cliffhanger is in store for us...

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted Aug 21, 2007 @ 10:34 PM

Sounds like there is some romance since the yahoo article is calling it a love triangle.

LolaRuns

LolaRuns

Stalker

Posted Aug 22, 2007 @ 12:33 AM

Is there anything like that (love triangle) in the books?

Stormyweather

Stormyweather

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 22, 2007 @ 5:37 AM

No. They really aren't following the second book at all.

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted Aug 22, 2007 @ 7:23 AM

No, there's no love triangle in the book for Dex.

LolaRuns

LolaRuns

Stalker

Posted Aug 22, 2007 @ 7:28 AM

Makes wonder what kind of woman they are going to pick *if* Dexter is actually interested in her in some level (even if just as a replacement for Rita). Or if she is a LaGuerta (book version) like character who throws herself at Dex.

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted Aug 22, 2007 @ 10:41 AM

From the Yahoo article:

"someone Dexter can truly connect with—someone cut from the same cloth as him (in spirit—not necessarily a killer) and who understands his darkness. One thing we explored deeply last season was Dexter's search for connection, [and] Dexter's darkness connects to Lila's darkness."

Not sure what that means, unless they are referring to her drug addiction.

sunworshipper

sunworshipper

Fanatic

Posted Sep 1, 2007 @ 2:30 PM

So Lundy knows the Bay Harbor Butcher works in the PD but that it's not Dexter. The suspect that comes to my mind is Doakes. Dude is creepy and violent and Lundy already has a low opinion of him. And we know that he is a killer. But Doakes probably doesn't fit the BHB profile.

I'm guessing that the reason that they know the BHB works for the police is that they identify some of the victims as unconvictable murderers.

LolaRuns

LolaRuns

Stalker

Posted Sep 1, 2007 @ 3:21 PM

I wonder if it isn't going to be really easy to track the victims back to their PD. After all, Dexter seems to have gotten most of his ideas for which victims to pick on the job.

tze

tze

Fanatic

Posted Sep 2, 2007 @ 10:28 AM

So Lundy knows the Bay Harbor Butcher works in the PD but that it's not Dexter. The suspect that comes to my mind is Doakes. Dude is creepy and violent and Lundy already has a low opinion of him. And we know that he is a killer. But Doakes probably doesn't fit the BHB profile.

Doakes has been harassing/stalking Dexter, a fine, upstanding young man. Doakes tries (and fails) to get onto the BHB task force. Yup, Doakes is probably the suspect; in fact, they'll probably end up killing two birds with one stone--sending Doakes to Death Row will free Dexter in every way.

youcangoyourown

youcangoyourown

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 3, 2007 @ 9:47 PM

Also, IIRC later in the season Lundy actually believes that the BHB is after Dexter and wants to put Dex into some sort of protection. Doakes visible animosity toward Dexter (+ stalking) will probably lead him to shoot himself in the foot.

rowanceleste

rowanceleste

Stalker

Posted Sep 10, 2007 @ 6:31 PM

Okay, I just watched Episode 1 and Episode 2 of Season 2 and while I enjoyed them over all, I definitely had a 'WTF' moment when Dexter told Rita the truth.

Am I missing something? Why on Earth would he trust her not to suddenly get an attack of conscience and confess that Dexter assaulted Paul and broke into the evidence locker at the police station to set him up?

I also don't get how Rita was so accepting of Dexter admitting he was an addict. Granted, it's not like she realized he was confessing to being addicted to murder, but given what Paul put her through, you'd think she would have an issue with someone being addicted to anything.

korporate

korporate

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 10, 2007 @ 8:21 PM

Am I missing something? Why on Earth would he trust her not to suddenly get an attack of conscience and confess that Dexter assaulted Paul and broke into the evidence locker at the police station to set him up?

I think that Rita now believes the drugs were Dexter's own and that he was lying about the evidence locker. She thinks he acted on impulse to protect her and the kids from Paul, and is now compelled to protect him. Instead of thinking the action was pre-meditated, Rita chose to believe that it was impulsive, which indicates to me that she believes Dexter has a good character, though he has made some bad choices (assaulting Paul, doing drugs).

Edited by korporate, Sep 10, 2007 @ 8:22 PM.

LoganTheHuge

LoganTheHuge

Fanatic

Posted Sep 19, 2007 @ 5:12 PM

While watching the full episode of Friday Night Lights on Yahoo TV, saw that they will also be premiering the full episode of Dexter before it airs (and for you Showtime-deprived folks).

Scroll down to Dexter and they show you when it will run

http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/3946

HungryHippo2004

HungryHippo2004

Fanatic

Posted Sep 20, 2007 @ 8:03 AM

From sides of Episode 11, Turn Left Ahead:

Batista is arrested for the rape of Lila, Dexter's sponsor. Batista is innocent though it seems.

Doakes is the main suspect in the BHB hunt. Lundy lets him go after questioning him, and Doakes goes on the run. A manhunt follows, and Doakes is tracked down to the Everglades.

Someone has been holding Doakes in a cabin for two days - he escapes or is released and eventually discovers a boat with two men in it. He thinks they're friendly but is mistaken. They hit Doakes and take him back to the cabin, and get him to help with loading cocaine. Unfortunately for them, Dexter is also at the cabin. He kills both men, saving Doakes.

madam mustard

madam mustard

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 21, 2007 @ 9:26 PM

Someone has been holding Doakes in a cabin for two days - he escapes or is released and eventually discovers a boat with two men in it. He thinks they're friendly but is mistaken. They hit Doakes and take him back to the cabin, and get him to help with loading cocaine. Unfortunately for them, Dexter is also at the cabin. He kills both men, saving Doakes.

This sounds great! I know it's unlikely but I'm really hoping that this reveals to Doakes that Dexter is the BHB. There would be lots of interesting stuff there because I don't necessarily think Doakes would turn Dexter in if he knew that Dexter was killing bad guys.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Sep 24, 2007 @ 12:08 PM

I think the BHB could be someone like Esme. I have a feeling despite Daokes' own creepiness it wouldn't be him but if it were Esme, then she'd be slain by Dexter or put behind bars. Either outcome would be a benefit to Maria.

ChiliHot

ChiliHot

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 25, 2007 @ 1:59 PM

I think the BHB could be someone like Esme.

But Dexter is the BHB. Those are his bodies, his works of art, that were found. The BHB was named for that find. Wasn't it?

Edited by ChiliHot, Sep 25, 2007 @ 2:08 PM.