Angel Batista: No Relation

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

22 replies to this topic

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Aug 20, 2007 @ 12:57 PM

I didn't see a thread for him, so I've set one up.

My Iron Lung

My Iron Lung

Fanatic

• Interests:Radiohead, obviously.

Posted Aug 21, 2007 @ 4:28 AM

Next to Dexter, Angel's my favorite character. He's funny and sweet, and that accent is just adorable!

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted Aug 21, 2007 @ 1:13 PM

Another reason I like this show; laughing at his horrible attempts at buying a 10th anniversary gift for his wife and thinking he has this perfect marriage, you find out that they are separated and he's really just pretending to have a happy marriage. It's almost like everyone on thsi show is pretending to be something they aren't and not just Dex.

beebs

beebs

Fanatic

Posted Aug 21, 2007 @ 5:54 PM

I like Angel. He seems like a sweet guy even though he obviously buggered up his marriage...

It's always good to see another ex-Oz actor!

fieryphoenix

fieryphoenix

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 25, 2007 @ 9:20 AM

I like him too, and the actor does a great job. I'm pretty sure a read that he's a former cop. He reminds me of someone I know in real life.

SadieHyde

SadieHyde

Couch Potato

• Location:20 minutes outside of Manhattan. Not off the turnpike, however.
  • Interests:oooooh. Fantasy shopping, playing with my baby daughter, watching/reading about tv, movies (Danish films, large scale gore battle films, anything w/Chris Eccleston, Vincent Cassel), non fiction about medicine and medical history, collecting antique pharmaceutical bottles and supplies, antique medical supplies (I have an amputation set! and an exam table complete with Antique Stirrups!), reading gossip blogs, hating Scientologists for their destructive and dangerous views on psychiatry, and uh...waiting for Lindsay Lohan to OD.

Posted Aug 25, 2007 @ 11:38 PM

I just got S1 on DVD. I really like Angel as a character- he puts up as much of a facade as anyone else. As for the cop thing, IMDB says he's former NYPD (beat cop from Times Square- probably the Old Times Square, not the new DisneyRama Times Square).

Regardless of any professional law enforcement background or not, I totally buy him as a homicide detective. I like Angel. He makes me kind of sad though.

t's always good to see another ex-Oz actor!

Hear, Hear! And it's not even on a L&O Franchise show!

Ammit

Ammit

Video Archivist

• Interests:Reading, cooking, playing video/computer games, taking walks with my husband and our dog, watching football and Formula 1 and just generally being a couch potato.<br /><br />Currently enjoying (mostly on DVD):<br />BSG<br />Supernatural<br />Medium <br />Breaking Bad<br />Damages<br />Corner Gas<br />House<br />Pushing Daisies<br />Dexter<br />Chuck<br />Eureka<br />Doctor Who<br />The Closer<br />Reaper<br />In Plain Sight<br /><br />Still not sure about:<br />Eli Stone<br />T:SCC<br />Bones<br />Torchwood<br />The Middleman<br /><br />Will get around to trying:<br />The Wire<br />Arrested Development<br />Mad Men<br /><br /><br />Favourite show ever: Angel<br /><br />Guilty Pleasure: Charmed, Nip\Tuck<br /><br />Hero to Zero in the fewest episodes: Lost<br /><br />Most reviled show:<br />Any form of reality or talk show that is not on PBS.<br /><br />Loved them, but it was time to go:<br />Six Feet Under<br />Buffy<br />X-files<br />Jericho<br />Rome<br /><br />Still pissed off that they canceled:<br />Angel<br />Miracles<br />The Adventures of Briscoe County Jr.<br />Wonderfalls<br />Deadwood<br />Dead Like Me<br />Firefly<br />Threshold<br />Profit<br />The Dresden Files

Posted Aug 27, 2007 @ 3:56 PM

Regardless of any professional law enforcement background or not, I totally buy him as a homicide detective. I like Angel. He makes me kind of sad though.

Great pick-up on the sadness the Angel character brings to the game. I hadn't really been able to categorize my feelings about Angel before. He does have a very melancholy air. Even his looks make him a bit of a sad character. He's a bit downtrodden and is often just this side of pathetic. He reminds me a bit of an old, tired spy from a le Carré novel...when he isn't drinking and dancing with hookers ;)

I like him and think he's a great counterpart to the angry Doakes, and the political LaGuerta. He's the everyman in the series. The fact that he likes, trusts and respects Dexter makes it OK for the audience to like Dexter without feeling stupid or morally corrupt.

It's almost like everyone on thsi show is pretending to be something they aren't and not just Dex.

I think that's true of humans in general, not just on television shows. It's one of my favourite themes of the show.

Elphaba

Elphaba

Fanatic

Posted Aug 30, 2007 @ 5:58 PM

Angel is definitely one of my favorite characters and that's a credit to the actor. He does break your heart, but he's got a nice, light touch with comedy. When he is talking about Neil Diamond ("And Kentucky Woman. Oh my God"), it cracks me up every damn time. In a cast this good, it's hard to stand out. But he does.

hypertwink

hypertwink

Fanatic

Posted Oct 2, 2007 @ 1:20 AM

Another reason I like this show; laughing at his horrible attempts at buying a 10th anniversary gift for his wife

This is when I first fell in love with Angel, when he thinks he's got the perfect gift and Dexter shoots it down. He seems so earnest and sad and he's like a puppy who still tries to be perky and yappy and fun, even though he's been kicked around a few times.

vallegirl

vallegirl

Stalker

Posted Oct 2, 2007 @ 12:40 PM

In a cast this good, it's hard to stand out. But he does.

Especially considering how unwarm and non-fuzzy he was on Oz.

FrozenBarbie

FrozenBarbie

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 27, 2007 @ 12:33 PM

When he is talking about Neil Diamond ("And Kentucky Woman. Oh my God"), it cracks me up every damn time.

I loved that, too. So funny. I adore Angel. Who doesn't? He's such a romantic. I really hope they give him a deserving love interest. I want him to be happy.

Dym

Dym

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 6, 2007 @ 10:53 AM

It just occurred to me Angel started out as a lab geek like Dexter. Does anyone remember when he made the transition to detective?

silverangelaunt

silverangelaunt

Fanatic

Posted Nov 6, 2007 @ 10:54 AM

In the books Angel is a lab geek but in the series I think he always was cast as a detective.

Dym

Dym

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 7, 2007 @ 3:27 AM

I've never read the books, but I'm pretty sure he was a lab geek in the show. There were quite a few scenes of lab geek solidarity between Angel and Dexter, mostly coming out of Doakes' hostility.

rowanceleste

rowanceleste

Stalker

Posted Nov 12, 2007 @ 12:32 PM

You know, I think Dexter would be surprised to know that Angel is 'his best friend'. Someone should probably tell him!

ReiMehari

ReiMehari

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 14, 2007 @ 12:48 AM

Yeah, Dex probably doesn't even realize it.

smallaxe0217

smallaxe0217

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 13, 2008 @ 3:34 AM

I just started to watch Dexter a couple weeks ago, and Angel is my fave character. I guess he hasn't done much to spring out in the show since season 1, which is why it's so quiet about him...

I don't think he's pathetic, he just does his thing. He's real, he wears his heart on his sleeve. I think that's why I like him...and he looks really cool in that hat!

marxfan

marxfan

Fanatic

Posted May 19, 2010 @ 9:40 PM

I love Angel, I think he's darling, but, boy, does he have shitty judgment. First Lila, now LaGuerta. I mean, he married that arrogant, conniving harridan?? He needs to sprint to divorce court... like yesterday.

Purlieus

Purlieus

Just Tuned In

Posted Sep 21, 2010 @ 9:26 AM

There's something very human about him that's difficult to pinpoint.

He's very pathetic and just wants to be close to someone but he's also very realistic in his relationships. He knows it isn't going to work out with Lila, yet he has something with her for the sake of just being with someone. There's something really sweet about him as well, even if he does behave like a douche, getting drunk and rubbing himself up against women in bars. He's the contrary of Dexter: he hides painful things behind a facade because he has those feelings, unlike Dexter, who has none.

I'm actually happy he got married to LaGuerta, the harpy. I'm not even sure why.

sej23

sej23

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 13, 2010 @ 3:25 PM

This might sound awful but I just am not able to get over Batista's lisp anymore. If I had to hear him try to say barrel girls one more time, I think I'd go nuts. Does this distract anyone else?

sarahkohl

sarahkohl

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 13, 2012 @ 2:20 PM

anyone else think angel is going to die in the season finale?

GirlInAVolvo

GirlInAVolvo

Video Archivist

• Interests:TV, art, tennis, food, travel

Posted Dec 16, 2012 @ 10:09 PM

So relieved Angel survived the season, but angry that Dex, Maria, and Deb couldn't even find ten minutes in their murder-and-intrigue schedule to be nice guests at his party. This guy can't catch a break.

AngelaHunter44

AngelaHunter44

Fanatic

Posted Jan 17, 2013 @ 11:18 AM

One thing I've consistantly loved through this entire series is the relationship between Angel and Deb. The mutual warmth, affection and respect they show each other always seems so sincere.