iCarly

• Please log in to reply

2363 replies to this topic

Kaoteek

Kaoteek

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 6:44 PM

A couple obvious edits, in that segment, and it was indeed safer than usual.

Which makes me wonder - since the only reasons Craig's team cuts into some of his interviews are time constraints or inappropriate-tangents-that-can't-be-aired/get-past-the-censors - if Craig's producer got some special instructions from Dan/Nick on what could/couldn't air (it wouldn't be the first time).

Esp. since the show didn't seem to go long before the cuts, and the second, more obvious cut, happened right when Craig started to go on the fact that iCarly wasn't the kind of show a 50yo without kids could watch without seeming like a creep (his usual schtick, really, and nothing new for Craig, but maybe Nick doesn't want the fact that iCarly has a lot of adult viewers acknowledged/mocked in such a way...)

Edited by Kaoteek, Mar 14, 2012 @ 7:45 PM.

Jeneral28

Jeneral28

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 8:11 PM

Mmm...what did they cut out?

MegaJ

MegaJ

Stalker

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 9:43 PM

Jennette is getting her own Nickelodeon show, made by Dan Schneider. It's just a blurb.

Jeneral28

Jeneral28

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 9:54 PM

That's great but i wish Jennette moves out of Nick or Schneider and into a more grown-up series soon. She has the talent for beyond kiddy-stuff.

Cherith

Cherith

Fanatic

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 6:39 PM

Anyone catch this most recent episode? It would have been good if they stuck with the altered memory aspect and just did a sort of Rashomon episode. As it was it was like they are trying too hard to be funny.

Also movie references that don't do anything other than repeat movie dialogue line for line? Not funny.

Kaoteek

Kaoteek

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 7:53 PM

Disagreed. I liked this one, much more than the Victorious Aprils Fools one.

I don't know why, but this iAprilFools was so meta that it really gave me some sort of Community vibe. It could have benefited from being more focused, but in itself, it was a fun absurd 20 minutes. The Rashomon idea would probably have annoyed me, though, since I feel it's really overused in fiction in general, and sitcoms in particular.

(and kudos to Schneider, cos not a lot of showrunners, whether in tweencoms or regular sitcoms, are willing to go so out there and nonsensical on a regular tv program)

Limbonaut

Limbonaut

Stalker

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 8:59 PM

I was distracted by Sam's hair throughout the episode and in the "flashbacks"!

Jeneral28

Jeneral28

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 9:44 PM

It id not make a memorable April Fool's for me but at least it was better than the Victorious episode

markm

markm

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 26, 2012 @ 1:39 PM

I didn't watch the other Nick shows Saturday night that had April Fools-themed episodes. Does anyone know if they had characters playing April Fools jokes on each other vs what iCarly and Victorious did, which was to play April Fools jokes on the audience.

Jeneral28

Jeneral28

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 11:14 AM

iGo One Direction was ok, nothing spectacular or so. Sub-plot was below average. I like the cooking of steaks in the Shay Apartment.

Why was the Benson apartment door unlocked? Isn't that not untypical of Mrs. B?

Limbonaut

Limbonaut

Stalker

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 4:54 PM

Gibby fangirling over One Direction might be one of the funniest things the show has ever done!

jessied112

jessied112

Stalker

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 6:21 PM

I found the episode alright too. It was mostly a promotion of One Direction. I think that because of the 22 minute episode format, we didn't get to see Harry ('sick' guy) do much to show that he was faking/interested in Carly. I dunno; the whole episode felt really rushed and a lot of it was dedicated to singing. I didn't mind the singing, but I wanted some more acting.

Cherith

Cherith

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 6:56 PM

I thought it was pretty mediocre but I don't care about One Direction. I also liked Sam cooking steaks and I liked her pointing out that Harry was faking while stroking Carly's hair. Loved Carly's reaction to the hair stroking as though it was nothing out of the ordinary. I liked Sam's reaction to sick kid asking for stuff in the first place, too. Even before she said anything it was written all over her face. At some point both Jennette McCurdy and, to a lesser extent, Miranda Cosgrove really left Nathan Kress behind in the dust acting wise. This isn't the episode that most highlighted that fact but it has become really obvious lately.

Random but I was so annoyed when they are all like "oh so you really think he is faking" to Freddie as though he was the one who suggested it in the first place.

I liked Carly carrying all of the bags and Spencer had none while at death's door. It was a cheap obvious joke but it worked.

Why was the Benson apartment door unlocked? Isn't that not untypical of Mrs. B?

She is probably working and Freddie and T-Bo left it unlocked when they went over to the Shays to play. If she finds out Carly got germs in her house she will freak out, though.

Edited by Cherith, Apr 10, 2012 @ 7:01 PM.

Jeneral28

Jeneral28

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 6:46 PM

If she finds out Carly got germs in her house she will freak out, though

I guess the jungle worms are only spread by actual lip contact--don't know the term? Because i counted many times when Spencer and possibly Freddie was so near enough to Carly to catch the virus.

markm

markm

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 7:10 AM

The actress who played Gibby's girlfriend Tasha in a couple of episodes, Emily Ratajkowski, is also a model. There are full frontal nudity modeling pictures of her circulating on the internet, which may explain why they have not had her on the show in awhile.

MegaJ

MegaJ

Stalker

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 7:55 PM

This episode only had two worthwhile revelations:

1. Freddie still likes Carly, and Sam is ambivalent about that. I don't know where they're going with this, I don't know if they were just reminding us that they weren't done with the storyline or what. And after he told Sam that he loved her...no wonder Sam was kinda taken back.

2. Some actual growth for Gibby, the restaurant was him just trying to showcase a different side as opposed to taking his shirt off all the time.

Cherith

Cherith

Fanatic

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 9:44 PM

Nobody has announced the end of iCarly, yet. And Dan has solicited ideas on twitter even though all of these last batches of episodes have been written. All of a sudden Gibby is being treated as a character to be taken seriously (he has been a regular for some time but never treated as such). And they are returning to the well of how "hilarious" Freddie's crush on Carly is. Miranda Cosgrove has said she was going to college but hasn't mentioned it in ages. Jennette's new show starts shooting in July.

All of this added up... are they transitioning to a show with no or significantly less Sam? I feel like it would be insane to try to continue the show without her. But Nick is desperate. And it is a lot of money for everyone else to turn down. And why in the world would Jennette McCurdy want to stay on as a sidekick while also starring in her own show?

Edited by Cherith, Apr 21, 2012 @ 9:46 PM.

Misslindsey

Misslindsey

Fanatic

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 10:24 PM

1. Freddie still likes Carly, and Sam is ambivalent about that. I don't know where they're going with this, I don't know if they were just reminding us that they weren't done with the storyline or what. And after he told Sam that he loved her...no wonder Sam was kinda taken back.

I was kind of annoyed by this. I had no idea what Sam's reaction meant. I feel like they have done both sides on this show already, so either pick a damn side, or have them be done with it all together. I guess I do not want to see another go around either way, unless it is the end of it all. Otherwise, I just feel like Dan will milk this until they very end. I have been more Seddie (but not a crazy Seddie fan), but after the four (was it four?) episodes of Sam/Freddie, I haven't seen hints of Freddie or even Sam and Carly having feelings for Freddie until now. I guess, I am tired of it all.

Nobody has announced the end of iCarly, yet. And Dan has solicited ideas on twitter even though all of these last batches of episodes have been written. All of a sudden Gibby is being treated as a character to be taken seriously (he has been a regular for some time but never treated as such). And they are returning to the well of how "hilarious" Freddie's crush on Carly is. Miranda Cosgrove has said she was going to college but hasn't mentioned it in ages. Jennette's new show starts shooting in July.

All of this added up... are they transitioning to a show with no or significantly less Sam? I feel like it would be insane to try to continue the show without her. But Nick is desperate. And it is a lot of money for everyone else to turn down. And why in the world would Jennette McCurdy want to stay on as a sidekick while also starring in her own show?

In my head, I always assumed this was the last season. The only way I think it would be possible is if they filmed iCarly and whatever Jennette's show is at different times, which is probably possible with Nick's scheduling, but I do think it is unrealistic. I mean, iCarly is possible to do without Sam, but I know I would probably not watch. As for Miranda going to college. I think Nick would work around her schedule (is she doing a full load? Different call times or during the summer?), because she has been with the network so long. It probably is possible, but I still think that iCarly would end after this season.

DigitalBean05

DigitalBean05

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 10:41 PM

This season of "iCarly" will have 14 half-hours according to one of Jennette's uStreams. (Two of those half-hours will be combined to an hour long episode though.) She'll film her show afterward.

And oddly, there's a school paper interview with an actress named Lauren Day who is supposed to be a new recurring character on the show. In the interview, she mentioned "iCarly" having at least another season after this one.

How this works out schedule-wise with Miranda is beyond me, but it would explain why the cast and Dan have been silent about "an end." (And when asked about his post-iCarly career, Nathan has stated that he's currently unsure because he doesn't know when the show will end. And he said this in the middle of this production cycle.)

Cherith

Cherith

Fanatic

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 10:44 PM

I assumed it would end, as well. But they would milk and promote the last season to the fullest and it has just been silence.

I don't know if they have made a decision or are still hammering it out. But an iCarly with no or seriously reduced Sam could be in the works. No Nick kid who was plucked from a sidekick role to star has ever had to also continue to be the sidekick.

I wouldn't watch if any of the three left. I actually can't stand Freddie. I find him annoying and the actor, who was so cute and energetic as a kid, has just become wooden. He has his three faces and he won't stray from them. But I STILL wouldn't watch without Freddie. It isn't a Miranda Cosrove* star vehicle, at heart. It is an ensemble about the trio. So, nevermind, not watching without Sam.

I was kind of annoyed by this. I had no idea what Sam's reaction meant.

I was super annoyed. I couldn't care less about shipping. But it was just thrown in with no subtly or humor. Like it was cut and pasted into the episode. I don't expect subtle from iCarly, of course, but it wasn't funny or interesting. And dominated the whole episode (which otherwise wasn't very good, anyway).

This show used to be legitimately funny (and I am ashamed to say I am usually quite the snob about sitcoms) but now it is just a series of duds interspersed with things I find vaguely enraging.

*That isn't an insult to Miranda Cosgrove, who I am sure could anchor a star vehicle, it is just that organically the show evolved into much more of an ensemble.

I was watching this episode with my niece, who hated it a lot, and I am surprised at how much this episode annoyed me. I can't explain it. I think I just felt it was a bad sign for things to come.

Edited by Cherith, Apr 21, 2012 @ 10:50 PM.

Jeneral28

Jeneral28

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 9:02 AM

This episode was beautiful. Character interactions, humour, plot everything--except the science bit part--though I liked the Carly-grandfather talk about Spencer exploding. (It should have been Daddy Shay though...)

Gibby is no longer the chubby shirtless kid. This is great, I hated him as so.

Gibby and Sam--yes!

I don't care much about the love fight or relatinship of the trio. Have a single steady relationship and leave it.

Still, iCarly has run its course. It should end. I wish it was Jennette who would be heading to college though, I though she also mentioned that long ago?

Kaoteek

Kaoteek

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 3:34 PM

That ep tried to do too much (Spencer & his alarm ; some character growth for Gibby ; a mob spoof with Gibby's restaurant ; some random physical comedy with Carly ; and the resurrection of the Creddy shipping), and never really achieved anything.

It lacked cohesion, it lacked direction, it was all over the place (and not in a purposefully random & weird way, but in a "this episode had two distinct writers, but they never consulted during the writing process" kinda way) in short, it felt like a disjointed mess, as far as the writing went.

Still had funny moments, though.

Edited by Kaoteek, Apr 22, 2012 @ 5:29 PM.

Jeneral28

Jeneral28

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 4:30 PM

Kaoteek, you're far too critical. It was far better off than the previous episodes of this season. After all it is 23 minutes worth of plot. Both plot and subplot worked well though they weren't merged. Nice to have the exception--Sam-Gibby interaction as a change.

Kaoteek

Kaoteek

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 5:29 PM

Yeah, i'm probably too critical.

Either that, or we just disagree about this episode, just like you and I do on 95% of everything icarly/victorious related. ""

smind

smind

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 7:05 PM

I enjoyed this episode, but then I'm a sucker for a long Goodfellas shout out.

Misslindsey

Misslindsey

Fanatic

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 7:05 PM

That ep tried to do too much (Spencer & his alarm ; some character growth for Gibby ; a mob spoof with Gibby's restaurant ; some random physical comedy with Carly ; and the resurrection of the Creddy shipping), and never really achieved anything.

It lacked cohesion, it lacked direction, it was all over the place (and not in a purposefully random & weird way, but in a "this episode had two distinct writers, but they never consulted during the writing process" kinda way) in short, it felt like a disjointed mess, as far as the writing went.

Still had funny moments, though.

I agree with all of this. It was a mess. It could have been a bunch of really good ideas, but it was so poorly executed. Honestly, nothing stand out as being really funny from this episode. At least nothing that I really remember. I actually liked quite a few episodes from the start of the season. I am sure there will be more episodes I like, but this just wasn't it.

Betsyb

Betsyb

Fanatic

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 8:26 PM

Definitely agree that the episode was a mess. The statement that it felt like two writers (and this episode was co-written) who never consulted was spot on.

It did have its moments. I do love Goodfellas. But for the most part it was just a wreck. Splitting time between this and Victorious has really hurt the quality of both. And I can't even remember a scene from the Spencer subplot I enjoyed.

That being said this season has been better than the iGot a Hot room, iDo, iSell Penny Ts era etc. For sure. But they just seemed to have run out of ideas. A hundred episodes is a lot for any show and for a kids show it is an insane number. It is just time to end it.

Sam looked really good in that leather jacket, though. Her hair has been awesome lately. And Freddie looked cute, too, and I don't usually think he is. Being kind of a dick agrees with him.

I would be happy if Gibby went away and never came back. So more airtime for him definitely didn't make me love this. Sam being completely alienated from the main cast (Carly, Freddie, Spencer) actually put me off, a bit. I really wouldn't be surprised if they are trying to transition to a Samless iCarly.

Edited by Betsyb, Apr 22, 2012 @ 8:43 PM.

DigitalBean05

DigitalBean05

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 8:54 PM

I actually liked this episode for the most part, mainly because the change in dynamics has me curious about what the rest of this season is going to bring, what little I know of it. Also, the restaurant actually gives Gibby a bit more purpose. It's something he can go do besides being random. It'll also give a reason for that stupid head to stop following him around! (Which I will say nothing will bug me more than how Gibby was crammed into Season 4. His presence was so awkward/grating in those episodes.)

Plus, there were no celebrities/special gimmick that was tied to this episode. I always enjoy "iCarly" more when it goes back to the basics, and focuses on the group. I liked seeing some of the old characters again like Mr. Howard and Principal Franklin (who I adore!), as well as Spencer having a subplot that wasn't based around his flavor of the week.

But I know I'm a pretty relaxed judge when it comes to the show. Sure, there's a few episodes from every season I dislike, but few make me rant/have me changing the channel. (First one that comes to mind is that horrid blooper episode last season.)

blugirlami21

blugirlami21

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 1:58 AM

I thought the episode was ok. I found the Creddie moments out of place in the time frame that we have been given for the show. Sometimes the interactions between Sam and Freddie are as if they were never a couple. There is really no awkwardness, no lingering looks, etc. This episode is supposed to be weeks or maybe a few months after they have broken up right? I would have rather Seddie had never happened than for it to happen and be disregarded. I am a Seddie shipper but I wouldn't be mad if Creddie happened but I just want the real issues of Freddie dating both Sam and Carly to be addressed if they do go there.

I wouldn't have a problem with Freddie's actions otherwise. His crush on Carly while dormant is well known and not really out of character. It's just the timing of it that bothers me. Sam looked, I wouldn't say upset so much as nonplussed. She seemed surprised but also kind of resigned to Freddie's sudden reinterest in Carly.

The rest of the episode was interesting. I do think that Sam is being sidelined, she had a whole subplot apart from Spencer, Freddie and Carly with Gibby, a character she didn't even really like before this season. I can honestly say that I wouldn't be really interested in show without Sam or any of the main three stars being the focus together. If it has to come to that point I think they should just end it.

lleykian54

lleykian54

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 3:54 AM

I have to agree with those who wishes Dan would just grow a pair and make a final decision on the whole shipping thing or just let it go because it is getting ridiculous. The desperate pandering to both "ships" is just getting ridiculous and making the characters look ridiculous. I mean wasn't he the one going off on Twitter after Sam and Freddie broke up, with a bunch of cryptic tweets suggesting it wasn't all over?

Not a shipper but I did like the Seddie arc. I thought the writers kept them true to the characters they were and I thought all the episodes had a good balance of comedy, hijinks and romance and I also thought Sam and Freddie had very good chemistry. I especially loved the way they "broke up"...still happily making out in an elevator.

That said, frankly shipping on this show is pointless if you ask me. For starters, like I said, this episode just solidified that Dan's just interested in pandering to the two fanbases and will probably keep doing it until the show ends and he makes that final decision. So the whole thing is really pointless.

But more than that, I just find that honestly, neither pairing makes sense. As much as I liked the Seddie arc, even I had to wonder when Freddie started liking Sam. Sam's feelings I bought because she did seem unnaturally obsessed with him, even if it was to torture him. But Freddie seemed pretty convinced Sam hated him and seemed accepting of them as frenemies. But then she kisses him and then they're dating and he even goes as far as telling he loves her (I mean it was sweet but again, seemingly out of nowhere).

Meanwhile Creddie makes no sense either because Carly has never been interested in Freddie. Goodness knows she could have had him multiple times, many times over if she wanted to but she didn't. She entertained his obvious, frankly in the earlier seasons, almost stalkery crush with mild amusement but she has happily and merrily gone on to date many other people. The one time she became interested in him, the writers made certain to hammer home that it was out of some kind of misplaced guilt and gratitude for his saving her life. The second he pointed that out, she was well over that and never looked back. He dated her best friend and she couldn't give a shit. We've never seen her wondering, "hmm what if", have any kind of longing look, confusion, etc.

I feel like if the writers wanted to go there, they should have had Carly start to question her feelings for Freddie. Bringing back Freddie's long time crush again on Carly, with still little to no indication of her returning those feelings just seems so freaking pointless. I guess they can start randomly dating a la Seddie but I'll wonder the same thing then that I did for that arc; when did Carly start liking Freddie.

Also, I have been wondering what's odd about the latest episodes for me but I couldn't put my figure on it and now I do think that it's partly a sort of detachment I'm feeling with Sam and Carly/Freddie and maybe that the kids have just outgrown the show.