iCarly

• Please log in to reply

2363 replies to this topic

Dale

Dale

Fanatic

Posted Aug 19, 2007 @ 7:17 PM

New series coming to Nickelodeon starring Drake & Josh's Megan, Miranda Cosgrove.

Edited by Dale, Aug 21, 2007 @ 8:13 PM.

Talov

Talov

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 19, 2007 @ 7:50 PM

It looks like it could get intresting. Hopefully it's better than the usual Zoey 101, Unfabulous, Just Jordan garbage Nickelodeon's been spewing recently. I miss the good old days of Nickelodeon.

Laval

Laval

Fanatic

Posted Aug 21, 2007 @ 4:49 PM

Her name is Miranda Cosgrove. At least Nick gave somebody their own show for once that earned it (unlike no-talent losers like Emma Roberts & Jamie Lynn Spears). Her character Megan was very funny and very pretty on Drake & Josh, so I'm happy for her.

Anyway, I've seen previews of this new show & already its an improvement over such utter crap like Just Jordan, Unfabulous, Zoey 101 (except for Quinn), & those new horrible Spongebob episodes. Her friend Sam is going to be very annoying, however.

Here is more info about iCarly.

iCarly

iCarly.com

Twigs

Twigs

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 21, 2007 @ 5:30 PM

I love Miranda Crosgrove! My nieces will most definetly force me to watch this, and for once, I can't blame them.

Dale

Dale

Fanatic

Posted Aug 21, 2007 @ 8:13 PM

Laval
Her name is Miranda Cosgrove.

Thanks. Fixed it.

krishnaa

krishnaa

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 27, 2007 @ 12:45 PM

I actually hate her character in Drake & Josh. There are so many evil genius type little siblings...it's really annoying.

But iCarly looks interesting, I suppose. I don't think she has that much talent; but let's see if she can play a nice normal girl instead of the annoying brats she usually plays. Her bf (at least in the commercials) looks interesting, though.

Slade347

Slade347

Fanatic

Posted Sep 9, 2007 @ 7:30 PM

So the first two episodes aired last night. It was......okay. Could have been worse. I liked Sam (and her interaction with Freddie) better than Carly.

Era

Era

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 10, 2007 @ 2:21 AM

I actually enjoyed it honestly. It has some good jokes and the actors weren't terrible. I agree with "", I also enjoyed Freddie's interaction with Sam. Their bickering and sniping were far more interesting to watch, and they have great chemistry together. In fact, the cast really does show some great chemistry. I hope this show will get much success like those Disney shows.

Laval

Laval

Fanatic

Posted Sep 13, 2007 @ 5:59 PM

I can see why Freddie hates Sam so much. Sam was very annoying & she is really not very bright.

I don't know in the first episode why Freddie has a crush on Carly. Hopefully, we will hear the last of it.

Overall, it was a good show & its a major improvement over such utter crap like Emma Roberts, Jamie Lynn Spears, & Just Jordan.

Talov

Talov

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 13, 2007 @ 8:41 PM

I don't know why it seems in the first episode why Freddie has a crush on Carly.

That seems to happen in a lot of kid/teen sitcoms. Where there's a female best friend and a male best friend who secretely has a crush on the female lead. See "Taina", "That's So Raven", "Lizzie McGuire", "Zoey 101", "Sabrina, the Teenage Witch", "Moesha". I'm surprised it hasn't happened on "Hannah Montana" and "Unfabulous" yet.

Edited by Talov, Sep 13, 2007 @ 8:42 PM.

mrspopper

mrspopper

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 17, 2007 @ 9:41 PM

Did any other parent have a heart attack when the girls on their webshow showed the apartment building where they lived even showing the name of the building while they were making fun of the doorman? Today we're supposed to be teaching our kids about internet safety and this show has teenaged girls, unsupervised, broadcasting themselves on the internet, with no obvious adult around, except for the frequently absent older brother. Very bad example Nick!

KraziKatze

KraziKatze

Just Tuned In

Posted Dec 30, 2007 @ 8:37 PM

I've so far seen almost all of the episodes and I have to admit that I like the show a lot. It's much better than the Zoey 101, Unfabulous, Just Jordan and more crap. I like the friend, Sam. She seems to have more talent than Miranda (if I do say so myself). I think that she is pretty funny. And also the brother! He reminds me SO much of my brother. I think he's hysterical. The only thing that bugs me is how everyone seems to have a crush on Carly. Truthfully, I don't think that she's that pretty. It just bugs me how everyone likes her. Why not let someone finally like Sam? Sam is kinda the bully but I don't think that they should make everyone go and love Carly and hate Sam.

USGangster86

USGangster86

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 31, 2007 @ 1:50 PM

At first I did not like Sam, but now she is pretty funny. Plsu, her and Freddie do have some great scenes together.

TheRealJanBrady

TheRealJanBrady

Fanatic

Posted Feb 17, 2008 @ 2:05 PM

I agree that the girl playing Sam is actually a better actress than Miranda. I think Miranda is very lovely, but her eyes don't really change in expression. Sam's eyes come alive when she talks, and her line readings seem a lot more natural.

And the older bro reminds me of Jerry O'Connell! Cute.

Bitterswete

Bitterswete

Stalker

Posted Feb 17, 2008 @ 7:01 PM

I thought this show would become another one of my "I'm too old for this but can't stop watching," guilty pleasures, like Drake & Josh. But the few times I've watched, the only thing I really enjoyed is the older brother. But he's just not around enough.

I find Miranda to be kinda stiff, to be honest. She was stiff on Drake & Josh too, but it worked with her slightly sociopathic secondary character.

Maybe Sam would grow on me if I watched more but, since I don't, I just think she's obnoxious.

Edited by Bitterswete, Feb 17, 2008 @ 7:10 PM.

Kayar

Kayar

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 18, 2008 @ 9:16 PM

I agree about Miranda Cosgrove's acting. She's a decent enough actress for a TV actor her age, but a few times an episode she will deliver a line that comes across as ridiculously forced. She reminds me of the kids in the plays my middle school used to produce, the ones who were so focused on projecting their voices and enunciating properly that putting any emotion into the scene was completely forgotten. I barely watched Drake and Josh, but I didn't notice her wooden acting in School of Rock, which makes me wonder if the director for iCarly is partially at fault.

I enjoy Sam and Freddie together, but I get bored or annoyed if one's in a scene without the other.

Has anyone seen the episode about the dance video submissions? Carly has a dream where she dances through her apartment with some of the cute boys who sent in videos to the iCarly site. Then, in the final "throwaway" scene of the episode, Spencer (her older brother) has the same dream, complete with the same outfit, same choreography, and the same dance partners that Carly had. I had to laugh, because the actor was hilariously over-the-top throughout the entire scene (although really, what else can you do with a scene like that?), but it also gave me a creepy NAMBLA-like vibe to see a mid-to-late-20s man frolicking around in a cocktail dress and heels with a bunch of barely-teenage boys.

Bitterswete

Bitterswete

Stalker

Posted Feb 18, 2008 @ 10:26 PM

Then, in the final "throwaway" scene of the episode, Spencer (her older brother) has the same dream, complete with the same outfit, same choreography, and the same dance partners that Carly had. I had to laugh, because the actor was hilariously over-the-top throughout the entire scene (although really, what else can you do with a scene like that?)

Luckily for me, this was one of the few eps I've watched. I love how, in the beginning, Spencer (thanks for giving me a name) seems to be all confused and resistant. Then it's like the spirit of Ginger Rogers comes over him or something, and he completely gets into it. It cracked me up.

There's another scene I remember where Spencer is making all these big plans for marketing Carly's show, and really getting all excited and enthusiastic. And Carly's guy pal (Freddy, right?) says, "You can really do all that?" And Spencer, still sounding excited and enthusiastic, cheerfully exclaims, "No!" Another moment that cracked me up.

It's too bad Spencer isn't around more. But he's a 20-something guy on a Nick show, so it's understandable, I guess.

Ziva

Ziva

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 19, 2008 @ 5:21 AM

Re: the acting skills of the ensemble.

I feel everyone is ridiculously forced on this show, 100% of the time. IMO it comes with the nature of the program. Look at MadTV, SNL, D&J, Zoey 101, etc. I don't think the actors get enough time to develop believable characters so they just go for over the top.

I don't think Miranda is all that great, even for her age. She may have a better sense than your average kiddie in their town's version of High School Musical, but I've seen plenty of kids far more natural than Miranda or anyone else on these Nick shows.

Aside from Drake Bell. I actually think it's the material, but in a different setting I think he'd be pretty good

msrayrudd

msrayrudd

Fanatic

Posted Feb 19, 2008 @ 9:25 AM

Granted I could only make it through this show a few times, but I agree that most of the acting here comes across as stilted or middle school production-ish. But some of that I chalk up to bad directing. I'm sure the director is probably directing them that over the top as they do with most Nick and Disney shows.

But I agree that I just don't think Miranda is that great an actress. Obviously she's young and might get better, but I don't think she's strong enough to carry a whole show. Meaning many teen actors who have their own shows aren't the best actors, but they do usually have enough charisma to make up for what they lack in talent. I don't think Miranda is all that charismatic either and that is where the problem lies. I could live with not so great acting if the lead came off as likable and fun and etc.

Miranda is decent enough in supporting roles, but as a lead she is just very boring.

jenlind

jenlind

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 27, 2008 @ 4:03 PM

I enjoy watching this show with my children. I figure, any show they watch that is clean and can make me laugh, is a winner. While Miranda Cosgrove's acting leaves much to be desired, Spencer's scenes more than make up for it.

I'm always a little wary of the premise of kids living without parents in the picture, but the character in Spencer really enhances the show, so I'm willing to forgive it.

BigPaul25

BigPaul25

Fanatic

Posted Feb 28, 2008 @ 12:30 AM

I did watch the first 8 episodes of this.

I did like the Spencer part of the Halloween episode. Even though the whole "Adult-doesn't-have-candy-gives-batteries" thing has been done to death on so many other shows, the idea of the kids rolling him down the street in the giant pumpkin was hilarious.

Its nice to see Mindy "Frau Farbissina" Sterling as a semi-regular on the show.

Rum Punch

Rum Punch

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 18, 2008 @ 7:25 PM

While Miranda Cosgrove's acting leaves much to be desired, Spencer's scenes more than make up for it.

I must say I completely disagree with this sentiment. I'm not saying Miranda is a pint sized Meryl Streep, but I think she is quite funny, and has a especially nice way with little throwaway lines. Plus, her voice and delivery is very musical, so I just like hearing her talk. Don't forget she is essentially the straightman in this all this, while Spencer, who I also think is very funny, gets the really showy comedy parts.

I like Carly's momentary freakouts, where she panics for a split second before pulling herself together again. Some might interpret this as an inability to maintain a mood, but I think it fits perfectly with the character, who I see as very mature and level headed for her age, but who is still, after all, a 13-year-old girl.

Finally, I also watch and enjoy "Hannah Montana", but I prefer this show's theme song, and Miranda's singing on it, to "Best Of Both Worlds".

Bitterswete

Bitterswete

Stalker

Posted Mar 18, 2008 @ 11:12 PM

Don't forget she is essentially the straightman in this all this,

Even back on D&J, I didn't think AC was all that emotive or expressive. She was just as stiff on that show, even with all the wacky stunts her character pulled. But I thought her sort of toneless, expressionless delivery worked with Megan, who was a borderline sociopath.

Edited by Bitterswete, Mar 18, 2008 @ 11:13 PM.

MethodActor05

MethodActor05

Stalker

Posted Mar 30, 2008 @ 1:15 PM

I'm always a little wary of the premise of kids living without parents in the picture, but the character in Spencer really enhances the show, so I'm willing to forgive it.

They actually did address this in an episode where Carly and Spencer's grandfather comes to take Carly away to Spokane because he saw a podcast where Carly almost gets injured in a stunt, and he feels like Spencer really isn't responsible enough to handle taking care of a kid.

Of course, it all works out in the end because Spencer proves his responsibility by writing his grandfather a guide to Carly's likes, dislikes, favorite food, allergies, etc etc etc.

It's a fine enough show, compared to Zoey 101. We don't get constant propping up of Carly like we get with Zoey(like seriously, why does everyone treat Zoey like she's an angel on Earth?), and though Miranda can be stiff, Jamie Lyn is a freaking red wood.

Though am I the only way hoping that Fred will grow up into a hottie, just to spite Sam? (They actually had something like that on Sister Sister...annoying Roger grew up hot, and he actually did a revenge dating plot to get back at them for all the times they were bitchy towards him when he wasn't hot.)

Lizzie88

Lizzie88

Couch Potato

Posted May 14, 2008 @ 7:05 AM

I just recently watched a few episodes of this show and while it may not be Emmy material, it's not as vacuous or shallow as Unfabulous and Zoey 101 (though that was a guilty pleasure for me and I loved Logan/Quinn). I find Miranda Cosgrove tolerable, but I don't think she has the charisma to carry her own show. Having said that, I don't dislike Carly as a character.

I really wish they'd stop with the guy friend having a crush on the girl friend thing. I assume it's supposed to be relatable and endearing, but it usually just comes off as annoying and pathetic. I quite like Carly's best friend Sam. It's a character that could easily have been annoying, but the actress manages to pull it off IMO. Oh and I enjoy watching Sam and Freddie together. They have great chemistry.

Also, love the theme song. It's annoyingly catchy.

Edited by Lizzie88, May 14, 2008 @ 7:12 AM.

EmpressbyNature

EmpressbyNature

Couch Potato

Posted May 30, 2008 @ 7:52 PM

I've recently gotten into this show and I really like it. I think it's much funnier than most tween shows and gets away with a bit of adult humor. I also agree that Sam's comic delivery is pretty awesome. I like that her character is a genuine badass and that her mom is apparently a bit of a deadbeat.

TheRealJanBrady

TheRealJanBrady

Fanatic

Posted Jun 1, 2008 @ 3:14 PM

Charisma-wise, I think Spencer, Sam, and even Freddie have it. Miranda is pretty, and I like her singing voice, but doesn't hold my interest as an actress. For some horribly crazy reason I can't explain, even Jamie-Lynn holds my interest more.

Raven52

Raven52

Fanatic

Posted Jun 2, 2008 @ 3:45 PM

Yeah, Spencer and Sam have that something to keep my interest(that great comedic timing).

Magog

Magog

Fanatic

Posted Jun 3, 2008 @ 1:28 PM

Carly is somewhat tolerable (I like Miranda Cosgrove. Especially on Drake & Josh. She's really talented & very pretty.). Unlike Emma Roberts & Jamie-Lynn, Miranda Cosgrove is an excellent actress.

However, I don't like Sam very much. She's not funny & for some reason, she's always mean to Freddie. Why doesn't Sam like Freddie very much anyway? Besides, they would of make a nice couple instead of Freddie & Carly. I still can't get over Freddie having a crush on Carly. I don't like it.

Even though he's kind of annoying, Spencer is somewhat likable.

BTW, here is the music video of iCarly.

iCarly Music Video

spanana

spanana

Stalker

Posted Jun 5, 2008 @ 4:16 PM

Miranda is not a good actress at all IMO and she seemingly gets worse as she gets older. I'm not saying she's worse than Emma Roberts or *shudder* Jamie Lynn Spears. Both are pretty terrible and Jamie is definitely the worst of the three, but I don't think Miranda has any charisma either.

It kind of boggles my mind that out of the all the girls in Hollywood vying to have their own shows, this is the one handpicked to be the next sort of tween sensation. I don't have anything against the girl personally and she seems nice enough (and perhaps grounded), but I really think her it factor is nil. I realize that Carly is supposed to the be the straight man here, but even still.

I don't think this show is as vapid as Unfabulous or Zoey 101, so I'll give it that. Though the unsupervised web show aspect does creep me out, especially as Carly broadcasts from her own home and the idea of internet safety never seems to come up. I know it's fictional and I'm not looking for a very special episode about online predators, but some acknowledgement of online safety might be nice.