Wizards of Waverly Place

• Please log in to reply

1239 replies to this topic

ladyrott

ladyrott

Stalker

Posted Mar 19, 2013 @ 7:52 AM

I don't disagree with Perfect Xero that Stevie was incredibly selfish and her plan was certainly born of a sore loser standpoint. However, I think the plan itself actually made sense and was not "evil" per se. She certainly didn't deserve to "die" for it. I would have been a lot happier with that episode if they had just unfrozen her and she had gotten whisked away to be punished by the Wizard Council.

Slade347

Slade347

Fanatic

Posted Mar 19, 2013 @ 8:34 PM

I didn't have high hopes for this and sadly, it didn't exceed those expectations.

Harper had some good moments, and I did like Alex's speech about Harper at the end. Part of me was actually hoping they'd give Harper Alex's power, but that was never going to happen.

Thanks to Jake's delivery, there were some funny moments with Max, even if he appeared to be even dumber than before if that's possible. Also, I do have to applaud them for casually slipping in an incest joke.

Still, for many of the reasons mentioned in this thread, it was mostly a mess.

SmithW6079

SmithW6079

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 20, 2013 @ 4:34 AM

When I saw the commercials for the latest Wizards movie, it made me angry all over again about the way they botched the ending of the series. The overriding message of the show seemed to be "don't let magic destroy your family relationships." I really wish they had had all three Russo kids walk through the portal together, so none would lose their magic. Plus, the whole concept of the competition seemed to change from an academic one to an athletic one. I passed on this one, and it sounds as though I didn't miss anything. Selena Gomez probably has a future doing other things, so it's time to move beyond "Wizards."

kcblue86

kcblue86

Fanatic

Posted Mar 21, 2013 @ 4:15 PM

I wasn't overly impressed by it, but I have to admit it got a few chuckles out of me and it was nice to see the old familiar faces. It's just not the same without Justin and Professor Crumb.

My favorite line was definitely the "We sentence you to death." "Death by chocolate?" "No, death by death." exchange. It's like, not only will we break conventions by having a Disney protagonist get a death sentence, we'll also say it four times to really get out point across.

88Keys

88Keys

Fanatic

Posted Mar 26, 2013 @ 9:46 PM

I thought wizards couldn't die. Or do they just not age? (Well, except for Prof. Crumbs)

I thought the pacing and plot were off, somehow. The fight scenes went on too long and didn't really make sense. Why didn't Alex just use magic to pull her bad side back into herself? Or to destroy the machine? Or to flash Dominic out of there? Or flash her family out of the bracelet? I know I was thinking about all this too hard, but questions like these kept me from enjoying it.

I don't exactly love Alex, but I really thought her family treated her horribly in this one. And they didn't even have the grace to realize it and apologize in the end.

ladyrott

ladyrott

Stalker

Posted Mar 27, 2013 @ 8:09 AM

Why didn't Alex just use magic to pull her bad side back into herself?

THIS! That drove me nuts throughout the entire thing. I wonder if a line was dropped about her not remembering the counterspell (like she couldn't remember the one for the Speed Pass) because it made absolutely no sense that she didn't just reverse the stupid spell and get her bad parts back inside.

jessied112

jessied112

Stalker

Posted Jul 6, 2013 @ 9:25 AM

Surprise, surprise, I'm about three and a half months late on the special but I totally forgot when it was going to air and frankly, had no motivation to really watch it until now. But I finally have and not to my surprise, it was just as bad as I thought it was going to be. 

Let's put away the fact that David Henrie didn't even make a cameo. Actually, no. I know David probably didn't want to do it, or was busy or whatever, but I was hoping for something small, like a voiceover in Alex's head or something. My dream would have been him coming to help Alex save the day in the end. Maybe he being the one to push Dominic over the side of the Leaning Tower of Pisa, maybe with a throwaway line of how he was always trying to one up Justin at Wiztech. I think that would have made the special, to me, a little bit better. Not by a whole lot, but a little bit.

Ok, now moving on to the rest. The one redeeming factor that didn't make this downright cringe worthy for me was the Harper/Alex aspect. I love these girls' friendship and it shined completely in this special.

I don't like how they continue to make Max an almost one dimensional character and his only trait being the stupid one. I know Jake T Austin has the acting chops and is quite good, but they underutilized him quite a bit. This is why I love the movie more than later season and this special Max. He was used much better in the film and at least he did something useful there. 

Jerry and Theresa were quite harsh toward Alex. I mean, Jerry always encouraged Alex. Sure, he knew she wasn't as good as Justin when it came to magic, but he always encouraged her and knew she could do it if she tried. But now? Comparing her to Justin is not Jerry at all. He would have never said those kinds of things to her. 

Mason's whole jealous werewolf shtick was barely tolerable. I'm still meh on him. 

The good vs evil fight was interesting, but that's about it. Many times in the special, I was wondering why Alex couldn't use magic to first draw the bad parts back into her and also to use magic to get the bracelet away and save her family. Like, all she had to do was wave her wand in the middle of one of Dominic's 'evil' speeches and bam, her family would have been out. 

So basically, the special was crap and I wish they went with a real Wizards sequel to the first movie so then we wouldn't have had to endure whatever this was. 

88Keys

88Keys

Fanatic

Posted Jul 8, 2013 @ 9:12 PM

This is why I love the movie more than later season and this special Max. He was used much better in the film and at least he did something useful there.

The movie is on right now.  One of the best things about it is that Max isn't a total dumbass the whole time.

kcblue86

kcblue86

Fanatic

Posted Jul 10, 2013 @ 10:56 PM

The movie is on right now.  One of the best things about it is that Max isn't a total dumbass the whole time.

True. Rewatched with my nephew the other night, and I love how Max is competent without being uncharacteristically smart. He's still the same dumb, slightly devious kid, but he's the one who gets their parents back together and pulls off a few decent spells along the way. Jake T. Austin gets some nice more dramatic moments when he's worried that Alex and Justin haven't come back.

Plus, when Max disappears, the Russos appropriately panic. I especially like that his disappearance is what prompts Theresa to come back to save the day. Really, what's great about the movie is how the solution to the problem Alex created is made of the family working together and Alex selflessly giving up the full powers when she didn't have to. 

SpyGuy99

SpyGuy99

Just Tuned In

Posted Oct 24, 2013 @ 9:38 PM

So I been watching some old episodes of the show and realized David Henrie grew up to be one fine ass man. I wish he could have been shirtless more on the show but due to his tattoos he couldn't. But the wardrobe department did they best to show off David's maturity into manhood. The V-Neck shirts, the fact he never wears a belt, the saggy & tight jeans, and my personal favorite: those form fitting suits. [snip]

Edited by TWoP Howard, Oct 25, 2013 @ 1:48 AM.
Inappropriate language