Wizards of Waverly Place

• Please log in to reply

1239 replies to this topic

redshirtx

redshirtx

Fanatic

Posted Sep 29, 2012 @ 12:13 AM

I don't know...the interplay between Alex and Justin is a huge part of the show, IMO, and their possibly going back to the well without it just seems wrong. (Sabrina Goes To Rome, I guess.) That said, I'm mainly surprised that they (accidentally?) waited over a year to go back to the well in the first place.

Kaoteek

Kaoteek

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 29, 2012 @ 12:37 AM

Meh. I've never been a huge fan of the episodes exclusively centered around Alex saving the world all by herself, and Wizards' final season kind of left me cold, so i'm not really feeling this...

Slade347

Slade347

Fanatic

Posted Sep 29, 2012 @ 12:47 AM

This movie sounds like it will revolve around Alex, so the absence of Justin won't hurt ratings IMO.

I'm not worried about the ratings (I agree they'll be fine), but not having Justin around definitely lessens my hope of the special being good.

The whole thing sounds more like a star vehicle for Selena than anything else. I'm almost surprised they brought back Max and the parents. It wouldn't surprise me at all if their screen time turns out to be minimal.

Perfect Xero

Perfect Xero

Fanatic

Posted Sep 29, 2012 @ 2:25 AM

David Henrie is, apparently, filming the lead in a movie called 1000 to 1, presumably why he's not doing the reunion special.

Plot wise, of course, it's pretty easy to write Justin out, but, for me, personally, I much prefer the early seasons/movie where Justin felt more like a co-lead than just another of the supporting characters, so it's pretty disappointing that he won't be in the special. Hopefully everything aligns and they're at least able to get him a small surprise appearance at some point.

I'm equally disappointed to see that Mason is going to be in it. I'm certainly planning on checking the WoWP special out, but, much like the final season of WoWP, if it starts looking Mason heavy, I'm going to start reaching for the remote.

dmmetler

dmmetler

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 29, 2012 @ 5:13 PM

So Alex will be the only wizard there, since Max lost his powers after the Wizard competition? That's going to change the sibling dynamics.

kcblue86

kcblue86

Fanatic

Posted Sep 29, 2012 @ 8:13 PM

I'm hoping they find a way for Max to earn powers in this. But I doubt it'll happen.

jessied112

jessied112

Stalker

Posted Sep 30, 2012 @ 10:10 AM

I don't have much hope for this hour-long special. The first Wizards movie was great because it was family-centric and Alex wasn't the only bright spot of the movie. This one sounds like it won't be good at all. Not as bad as the series finale, but I really don't know if I want to watch it without Justin. Not because he's my favourite, but because he's been on the show since the beginning and whether or not ratings are hurt because of this (which it potentially could because there ARE more David Henrie/Justin fans out there than realized), it just won't be the same.

That, and Mason will probably be right front and centre with Alex and I don't think I could stomach it.

I know I asked for a reunion movie but now I'm just not sure. If they couldn't do family, then I'd rather have it be centered around Harper and Alex. That being said, I have a feeling Harper will either be in minimal scenes like the first movie or not in it at all, which then I might have to skip out. I think Selena's great but I just don't know. And I wonder if David decided to say no for reasons other than conflicting schedules.

ladyrott

ladyrott

Stalker

Posted Dec 16, 2012 @ 12:12 AM

Just saw the commercial for Wizards -vs- Wizards...coming in 2013. The hell?

redshirtx

redshirtx

Fanatic

Posted Dec 16, 2012 @ 2:18 AM

That's the one-off special that was announced back in September (last I knew the only existing promo called it The Wizards Return, though Wizards vs. Wizards flows better than that title or its subtitle--Alex vs. Alex). If they're actually airing promos now, then we're probably looking at a January or February airdate.

88Keys

88Keys

Fanatic

Posted Dec 16, 2012 @ 9:24 PM

I'm disappointed that Justin won't be in it, too. However, it's possible that his absence will mean Max has a bigger role, and hopefully an important one. One of my favorite things about The Movie is that Max isn't a total dumbass in it.

redshirtx

redshirtx

Fanatic

Posted Jan 19, 2013 @ 2:19 AM

We still don't have an airdate for TWR, but we have a poster and a month: March. I'm going to guess March 15 on general principle; 3/1 is six weeks out, and I suspect DC would have started a promotional push in earnest by now if they were aiming for that period--though it's not a given.

redshirtx

redshirtx

Fanatic

Posted Jan 27, 2013 @ 11:06 PM

...and March 15 it is. It didn't even occur to me until now that that's one week before Spring Breakers is out in theaters, so the timing fits.

Meanwhile, Jake Austin went off and did an ABC Family pilot which may be picked up...things seem to be fuzzy on that.

ladyrott

ladyrott

Stalker

Posted Jan 27, 2013 @ 11:58 PM

Alex-vs-Alex? Really? I can't even get excited about this.

88Keys

88Keys

Fanatic

Posted Mar 6, 2013 @ 9:17 PM

I'm actually looking forward to this a little bit.

And I know the evil person wearing all black is cliche, but Selena Gomez looks ridiculously good in that leather jumpsuit.

gingercharm21

gingercharm21

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 15, 2013 @ 8:09 PM

That was a really crappy "movie". Selena needs to work on her skills as an actress and learn how to cry convincingly. Mason committed murder and no one minded. Alex does not deserve to be the family wizard. I thought this back during the series finale, and I still think it now. She gets the world in horrible and shitty disasters, then she saves it but still gets praised and given credit. Ridiculous. Justin deserved the full powers far more than she ever did.

Chocorokoroko

Chocorokoroko

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 15, 2013 @ 8:11 PM

Alex VS Alex. I remember hearing about this in November, but it wasn't until LAST NIGHT when I was watching Disney Channel to remember about this special. Wow, really lucky break.

This special focused 95% on Alex. There's some minor focus on Max, but in an incredibly small sub plot. Which, stunned me, because Disney actually passed an incest joke.

No Justin. Kind of a shame, and they use the excuse that he's the new Wiz Tech Professor, and have him unseen but mentioned. Did he not check his messenger's record (Dominick; the main antagonist in this special)? I was shocked to find out that he was the nephew of Gorog from the 4 part arc, Wizards vs Everything.

And I'll admit; the charm bracelet plot device was clever. The relationship drama was cliche as possible, but that bracelet really did take me by surprise.

Aaaaand, they made Max more dumb. He thought Italy was Japan, and fell for his foreign cousin. Who he had no idea at all was related to him.

It was kind of a bum to have EVERYONE bash on Alex being immature and irresponsible. It's all about Alex now that she's the family wizard. And now that they want her to grow up by living up to that title. Props though, for having you accept yourself as who you are. [size=2]Even though that moral has been done over and over.[/size]

Glad Mason and Harper got some focus as well; just revolving around Alex's issues. The clash between Good Alex and Bad Alex was wicked though; it had some good/funny moments.

Of course; Alex looses her powers at the end and get it's back by the Crystal council. All she had to do was show consideration for her best friend (Harper). Thing is though; this was all about Alex. No surprise though, and I'll live with this. Since we just got continuity from Post Wizard Competition (which kind of was underwhelming itself).

Sad, still no Justin but only mentioned.

I'll give this Special a 8/10.

Edited by Chocorokoroko, Mar 15, 2013 @ 8:15 PM.

KerleyQ

KerleyQ

Stalker

Posted Mar 15, 2013 @ 11:35 PM

It was kind of a bum to have EVERYONE bash on Alex being immature and irresponsible.

All three of us watching here tonight were getting so annoyed. I looked at my 10 year old and said "for the record, if you ever develop magical powers, and you're able to create a door in our living room that leads directly to Hawaii, or Disney, or anywhere nice where we'd ordinarily have to fly, we will NOT get mad at you." I just didn't get what the big deal was with that. It was such a lame way to show she was "immature and selfish."

And it's made even worse when the parents go back through to get Max, and Jerry basically ditches searching for his kid so he can go snag some desserts from somewhere. Because that's not immature and selfish at all.

Of course, having this come on right after the replay of the series finale, when Alex was treated like shit for being the only person who prioritized saving their friends' lives, I was already in a mood to hate the rest of the family for how they treat Alex.

omgsowicked

omgsowicked

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 16, 2013 @ 2:17 AM

Completely forgot about this until I saw someone mention it online. It was better than I expected but I don't think it's something I'd ever watch again. I liked the charm bracelet thing, there were a few laugh out loud moments (that I've already forgotten, whoops), and the opening sequence was pretty impressive. However, the laugh track felt like such a downgrade.

I thought the crystals of judgment stuff was strange, weird that they came up with this new system... I guess they wanted to make it extra dramatic? I can understand why Jerry was so ticked with Alex, and it wasn't out of character or new for him, but like you said KerleyQ, he (and Teresa) act immaturely, too, so it's a bit hypocritical. I was disappointed that Alex got to keep her powers just because of her friendship with Harper (and that she skipped off happily afterward, like the whole thing wasn't actually that big of a deal). I was hoping they were going to give the powers to Max, a little redemption for how they screwed him over in the series finale, but he was completely useless so it wouldn't have made any sense. I wasn't as annoyed with Mason as I usually am, oddly enough, and I wasn't bothered by Justin not being there... the actor didn't want to return and they mentioned him often enough. Not ideal but it was fine.

Perfect Xero

Perfect Xero

Fanatic

Posted Mar 16, 2013 @ 3:10 AM

Now, now, perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything.

This was alright, better than some of the Season 4 epsiodes.

I think that Selena Gomez is a pretty good comedic actress on the show, but the next big female action hero: she is not.

Was it just me or did Dominic's accent change 3 or 4 times during the episode?

Obviously Justin not being there was addressed (thankfully), but what happened to Zeek? Harper certainly didn't seem like she had a boyfriend when she was eying the villain.

redshirtx

redshirtx

Fanatic

Posted Mar 16, 2013 @ 6:50 AM

I want to like Alex vs. Alex at least for continuity; Alex's willful use/misuse/overuse of magic, though in this case given a nudge by Dominic, once again leads to shens and, even if Jerry didn't mean it per se, her continued presence in Justin's shadow--even when he's not there (though it was handled in a similarly bitchy fashion here as in the series finale). And it was a bizarre extended riff on the third-season episode Positive Alex with a sweet VFX budget, which wasn't all bad. But ay, mijas--it and its message of people accepting you as you are just felt...off, and those Crystals of Justice actually didn't help. Why couldn't they use the Witches' Council?

That said, it indeed was better than some of the S4 stuff. And Selena Gomez in a black catsuit...not quite Debby Ryan in a flapper costume, but I'll take it.

Edited by redshirtx, Mar 16, 2013 @ 6:52 AM.

KerleyQ

KerleyQ

Stalker

Posted Mar 16, 2013 @ 11:52 AM

I thought the crystals of judgment stuff was strange, weird that they came up with this new system... I guess they wanted to make it extra dramatic?

Didn't the actor who played Professor Crumbs pass away after the finale? I was thinking they went with the faceless crystals thing kind of out of respect to him - they didn't want to replace Crumbs with some new authority figure.

omgsowicked

omgsowicked

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 16, 2013 @ 2:28 PM

Was it just me or did Dominic's accent change 3 or 4 times during the episode?

I was going to say something about his pronunciation of 'mortals' but didn't want to be a jerk, haha. I checked the actor's IMDB and apparently he grew up in Canada... I'm not familiar with him but if he has a Canadian accent, it shouldn't have been that much of a problem.

Didn't the actor who played Professor Crumbs pass away after the finale? I was thinking they went with the faceless crystals thing kind of out of respect to him - they didn't want to replace Crumbs with some new authority figure.

Oh right! I completely forgot about that. At the very least, i wish there would have been an explanation. A throwaway, "Alex, you screwed up so badly you have to deal with the Crystals of Judgment, not the wizard council," would have worked for me.

Chocorokoroko

Chocorokoroko

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 16, 2013 @ 3:56 PM

Oh wow. I had no idea the actor playing Professor Crumbs had passed. That's a little saddening; he was hilarious. I haven't been all up on Wizards news so much after the finale night. Just the KCAs when Selena won Best Actress, the Wizards Return news in the Fall, and then nothing until the night before the special aired.

Kaoteek

Kaoteek

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 16, 2013 @ 7:00 PM

Just as I expected, this special was kinda dull to me, very "been there, seen that". Too bad, I really liked that universe and those characters... well, up until the last season, season and a half, at the very least.

JessicaLovejoy

JessicaLovejoy

Fanatic

Posted Mar 17, 2013 @ 12:48 AM

JTA's man voice freaks me out.

ladyrott

ladyrott

Stalker

Posted Mar 18, 2013 @ 12:49 PM

Well, I finally watched and I am seriously disturbed by Mason killing someone and no one batting an eye. Or maybe Dominic didn't die? I mean, he did have a wand right? The Alexes were flashing hither and yon for 30 minutes so maybe Dominic just flashed out while he was falling? That works better for me than Mason killing someone and being all "you knew I didn't like him" about it. His jealousy over any guy talking to Alex also got on my nerves. He may as well hike his leg on her! Yes, Dominic was flirting but Alex didn't appear to be flirting back. Grrr!

notinbtnet

notinbtnet

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 18, 2013 @ 2:31 PM

I recently caught the rerun of when Stevie tried to stop the wizard competition (remind me again why that's evil?). I was hoping that Alex v. Alex would see the return of Stevie. An "Alex" would be Stevie, who after getting her powers back, found out that Alex won the wizard competition and had disguised herself as Alex and was attempting to take over the world, while simultaneously destroying Alex. Since, if I was Stevie, I sure would want revenge. Plus, this would allow Disney to rectify the situation where they flippantly killed off Stevie. To me, that would have been a more interesting episode. Instead, they continued down the path of flippantly killing off characters, while rehashing the story line where Alex causes the world to fall into a panic due to her carelessness only to turn around, save the world and have everything be hunky dory.

ladyrott

ladyrott

Stalker

Posted Mar 18, 2013 @ 3:09 PM

Yeah, I thought about poor Stevie too. Even if her plan WAS evil, which it really wasn't, you still don't casually kill a character like that. In Stevie's case, it was even a character we got to know and like. It is just kind of disturbing that WoW does this with no second thoughts, evidently.

Perfect Xero

Perfect Xero

Fanatic

Posted Mar 18, 2013 @ 3:46 PM

I recently caught the rerun of when Stevie tried to stop the wizard competition (remind me again why that's evil?).

In D&D (or is that Dungeons & Gargoyles in WoWP world?) terms this show often confuses being Lawful Vs Chaotic with Good Vs Evil.

That said, Stevie's position comes off as very selfish, since she left her brother stranded for months after she was the one who had already lost the competition. Which suggests that Stevie would have been perfectly happy to keep the powers to herself if she'd won. Her issue wasn't the contest, it was that she was the one who lost the contest. Which, yeah, strikes me as being kind of evil.

gingercharm21

gingercharm21

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 18, 2013 @ 7:49 PM

I thought Alex's character was pretty unchanged, and at this point, I'm tired of her shtick.