Wizards of Waverly Place

• Please log in to reply

1239 replies to this topic

Talov

Talov

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 19, 2007 @ 1:14 AM

I'd figure to start this topic soon because the new Disney Channel show's starting in October. The new sitcom is basically "Sabrina, the Teenage Witch" mixed in with Harry Potter. A family moves to New York, but has a huge secret. They're actually a family filled with wizards dealing with magic. The three siblings are a younger brother, middle sister, older brother. I think it kind of resembles the "Even Stevens" family.

They started taping this show a year ago and from what I heard from those that went to the show tapings, the show's worth watching. I just hope the show will bring back the laughter on Disney that's been kind of stale with a few shows (looking at Cory In The House).

Edited by Talov, Aug 19, 2007 @ 7:47 PM.

Kristi1972

Kristi1972

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 19, 2007 @ 9:06 AM

I saw a promo for this the other day during a Hannah Montana marathon (I have a 10 year old daughter...). Was that a DeLuise I saw?

snoopyiscool

snoopyiscool

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 19, 2007 @ 10:19 AM

Meh. Even for a kid's show, you'd think the special effects (that were present in the promos) wouldn't be so hokey. Then again, the show itself doesn't look too bad. I just hope they don't phone it in, hemhem, Cory in the House.

drmka9

drmka9

Fanatic

Posted Aug 19, 2007 @ 8:48 PM

Was that a DeLuise I saw?

Yep - David DeLuise plays the father. One thing I think is interesting about the premise is that only one of the kids will get to remain a wizard. They're basically in competition until that happens. I'm sure it'll wind up Disney-fied in the end, but it'll make for some interesting plots.

Laval

Laval

Fanatic

Posted Aug 21, 2007 @ 6:01 PM

Here is some information on Wizards of Waverly Place.

Wizards of Waverly Place

Overall, I will probably watch this show, but I have no idea who Selena Gomez is & she isn't very pretty.
Hopefully, there won't be an annoying character (Chelsea-That's So Raven, Cody-The Suite Life, & Newt-Cory in the House) on the show.

Talov

Talov

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 21, 2007 @ 6:28 PM

Cody-The Suite Life

Don't You mean London from the Suite Life?

Laval

Laval

Fanatic

Posted Aug 21, 2007 @ 6:31 PM

London can be grating at times, but she isn't as dumb & annoying as Cody. At least London can be somewhat likable at times.

BigPaul25

BigPaul25

Fanatic

Posted Aug 21, 2007 @ 7:42 PM

but I have no idea who Selena Gomez is & she isn't very pretty

She guest-starred as Hannah Montana's popstar rival Mikayla in the "I want you to want me to go to Florida" episode.

She annoyed me.

Plus, the annoying little kid from "Johnny Kapahala Back on Board" is on this too.

Well, at least DC will be able to fill more slots on Disney Channel Games teams next year.

snoopyiscool

snoopyiscool

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 21, 2007 @ 9:47 PM

Isn't her older brother the kid from How I met Your Mother? And the Cory's friend Larry on That's So Raven? He's a good actor and all, but I seriously don't like it when Disney "recycles" actors. It confuses me in the reruns.

Talov

Talov

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 22, 2007 @ 12:30 AM

Yep, his name is David Henrie.

twentythree

twentythree

Fanatic

Posted Aug 22, 2007 @ 8:17 AM

Oh, goody! The mom is Latina, and you know what that means, right? She speaks in Spanglish, and was part of an all girl mariachi band! Ugh, why does every person who is from Latin America have to be the same thing? They can be normal, you know!

I don't think I'll be watching this. It looks wicked annoying.

The 2nd Evil

The 2nd Evil

Stalker

Posted Aug 22, 2007 @ 8:15 PM

Of the kids the oldest boy is the one I like the most.

Might check this out. I like magical stories.

Laval

Laval

Fanatic

Posted Sep 25, 2007 @ 7:40 PM

If anybody is wondering, Wizards of Waverly Place will air on October 12th after that god-awful Twitches 2 movie.

Dale

Dale

Fanatic

Posted Sep 26, 2007 @ 12:38 AM

Hey, I started a topic like this weeks ago.

BigPaul25

BigPaul25

Fanatic

Posted Sep 26, 2007 @ 12:42 AM

On the 20th viewing of the promo for this show, I realized that Alex's spell to make a duplicate of herself was "Edge-Bono-U2osis"

Nothing like the feeling somebody in the writer's room said "Hey, you know what would be hip?" Ugh!

ETA: O.K., another behind the scenes promo. Justin uses the same spell for something different. Still not seeing anything too compelling about this show.

Edited by BigPaul25, Sep 30, 2007 @ 3:42 PM.

Talov

Talov

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 11, 2007 @ 7:12 PM

The pilot is available on iTunes. From what I know, it's typical Disney fare. Like HM, and Cory In The House.

Talov

Talov

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 12, 2007 @ 8:58 PM

LOL! at the "peeing on pants" scenes.

BigPaul25

BigPaul25

Fanatic

Posted Oct 13, 2007 @ 9:11 AM

O.K., the theme song was pretty good. The segues between scenes of the kids jumping around is so very That 70's show. Oldest brother, pretty good. Selena (Alex), getting there. I kept thinking that her as Mikayla would have Gigi and her little minions for breakfast. Little brother, somewhat annoying but not in a "Rico" way. Harper has some potential but she seems to be borrowing from the "Chelsea" playbook from "That's So Raven." Nice to see the Deluise son working again. It seems like his wife on the show could be his mom. And note to the hairstylists...bangs for Alex. Selena Gomez has way too much forehead.

Laval

Laval

Fanatic

Posted Oct 18, 2007 @ 6:33 PM

Its not surprising that the debut episode got around 6 Million viewers.

As for the show, it was OK, but it didn't "wow" me. Max is kind of cool. At least, he's more likable that Justin. Justin is very annoying & he bores me to tears. His annoyance reminds me of another loser, Cody (The Suite Life).

As for Alex, she is really ugly. She's very irritating & I can't find anything to like about her. Its bad enough that she had to sing the theme song to the show. Why does Disney Channel think that Selena Gomez is remotely attractive & can sing?

As for their mother, All I can say is, Zzzzz..... She has no personality what so ever.

As for Mr. Russo, I might like him. But his voice is kind of grating.

As for Harper, why would anyone name their kid, Harper? Even though she has a horrible name & I don't think she is very bright, she is somewhat attractive (unlike Alex). BTW, Harper is definitely smarter & more likable than Chelsea (That's So Raven).

Edited by Laval, Oct 20, 2007 @ 12:40 PM.

fernsehen

fernsehen

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 20, 2007 @ 11:41 AM

Amusing references to earlier Disney Channel series in last night's episode.

The "New York Mets Mets Mets ..." guy who was so enthusiastic about the sandwich was played by Jim Wise, who played Coach Tugnut on Even Stevens. He didn't have the beard then, though.

The girl whom Alex's older brother wanted to kiss was named Miranda. Selena Gomez (who plays Alex) played Miranda Sanchez's little sister Stevie in a pilot that was for a spinoff of Lizzie McGuire.

Kind of refreshing to see someone older than 14 who admits to having never been kissed.

As for naming a girl Harper, the book To Kill a Mockingbird was written by a woman named Harper Lee.

Talov

Talov

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 12, 2007 @ 10:30 PM

I honestly tried to get into this show, but I just cant. The worst show on Disney, bar none. Even worse than Cory In The House. Looking at previews for season two of CITH, at least THAT show seems to be improving. "Wizards" is just laziness from Disney.

BigPaul25

BigPaul25

Fanatic

Posted Nov 13, 2007 @ 12:58 AM

Does anyone remember when Friends was popular, most everybody would enjoy that show and whatever NBC would put on afterwards was just not funny, but you watched 'cause you didn't have the remote? That's kinda how I feel with Cory in the House and this show. I laugh hard at Hannah Montana, and I try to watch this afterwards, no comparison.

How creative is the writing on this show? The closest thing they have to a catchphrase is the youngest saying "That is so cool!"

I tried to like Selena Gomez in this show, maybe its hard to compare her to Miley Cyrus. Miley comes across as someone who can be anyone's friend, a girl next door type. Selena's Alex comes across as somewhat smug. Honestly, I think she's better off playing characters like Hannah's rival Mikayla.

Popstar with a secret, easier to relate to than teen wizards.

msrayrudd

msrayrudd

Fanatic

Posted Nov 13, 2007 @ 1:01 AM

From the little I saw I have to disagree. I actually find coming out of the gate it is one of the better Disney Channel shows. It's already better than the completely ludicrous Cory In the House and I also think it's better than Suite Life.

I'm not saying the actors are about to go off winning awards, but Selena Gomez and company are fine. I actually found myself pretty impressed with Selena's skills out of the gate. Both comedically and otherwise. She's doing a great job and will only get better. I like the older brother character as well.

As for comparisons to Miley, well, Miley was rather rough out of the gate and got better with time.

Of course the computer graphics are pretty bad, but they always are on these shows.

At least this kept my attention without making me feel dumber for having watched. The only other current DC show I can say the same about is Hannah Montana.

Edited by msrayrudd, Nov 13, 2007 @ 1:03 AM.

YesYesNo

YesYesNo

Fanatic

Posted Dec 8, 2007 @ 12:32 PM

Wow I feel the complete opposite, I enjoy Cory and Wizards far more than I enjoy Hannah Montana. Why does the girl that plays Hannah shout all the time?

BigPaul25

BigPaul25

Fanatic

Posted Dec 8, 2007 @ 1:29 PM

Why does the girl that plays Hannah shout all the time?

Are you watching the early, first season episodes? The kids don't yell anymore on the show.

It was nice to see Taylor Negron on WOWP. Only he can play everything from a Psychopathic villain in a Bruce Willis movie to The Olsen Twins' nanny.

YesYesNo

YesYesNo

Fanatic

Posted Dec 8, 2007 @ 6:15 PM

The later episodes, like the one where her grandmothers are fighting and brooke shields is her mother and heather locklear is lily's mum. Miley is the only one that shouts.

toaster pop

toaster pop

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 14, 2008 @ 6:57 PM

I've watched an episode or two of this show but I didn't really enjoy it. The whole magic gimmick seems really out of place and a lot of the humour on the show is really contrived. Of course, what humour isn't contrived on a kid's show? Still, didn't really like it. Also, I found the female lead really annoying.

ErinGoGreen

ErinGoGreen

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 4, 2008 @ 11:55 PM

I know what YesYesNo means about Miley shouting all the time. She definitely sounds like it sometimes. There is just something annoying about her voice, like she sounds like she has a retainer in or something like that and also sort of yells.

I enjoy this show in the same way I enjoy Hannah Montana. It's a guilty pleasure and not actually a GOOD show, but there is something innocent about it that I enjoy. I completely disagree about Alex being unattractive, I think she is very pretty and I like her a lot in this role.

Limbonaut

Limbonaut

Stalker

Posted Feb 21, 2008 @ 4:33 PM

I only caught this show because Maria Canals who plays the mom did the voice for Hawkgirl on Justice League. I remember seeing a behind the scenes featurette for the DVD and I was like "Dang, she's just as hot as the character! But in a different way because Hawkgirl has red hair and green eyes. Anyway she was way prettier than the actress who does the voice for Wonder Woman!" I agree with the posters here though on this show. Not that great.

Edited by Limbonaut, Feb 21, 2008 @ 4:37 PM.

Laval

Laval

Fanatic

Posted Feb 22, 2008 @ 11:26 AM

How could anybody compare Selena Gomez to Miley Cyrus? Selena Gomez will never reach Miley Cyrus status.

And her music video debut on Disney Channel is downright laughable. I don't know who is the creator of 101 Dalmations, but that person should be disgusted by this. What was Disney Channel thinking? Does they really think that Selena will be as talented & popular as Miley Cyrus or the cast of High School Musical?

Selena Gomez - Cruella De Vil

I've been seeing the same woman on a couple of occasions on the show & she is very irritating. She played the owner of Gert Barn where Harper worked & she worked at the hotel where GiGi (Gertrude) had her tea party. Her voice is very creepy & she needs to go away.

I also don't like Justin's girlfriend, Miranda. She looks awful, she's not pretty, & she bores me to tears.

Edited by Laval, Feb 22, 2008 @ 11:40 AM.