Sergeant Doakes: Get the Fuck Back to Posting, You Motherfuckers

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

138 replies to this topic

Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta

Fanatic

Posted Sep 17, 2008 @ 8:10 PM

Just finished S2. Wow, I'll miss Doakes.

Loved the scenes in the cabin - he really did seem like he'd been trained by Special Forces to manipulate his captor, that was very intelligently written. He was amazingly calm in a situation that would have reduced most people to blubbering heaps of jelly. He knew just how to read Dexter to ferret out his weak points, even blurting out something about his father to avoid being killed while drugged (fast thinking!) Figuring out the Code pretty quickly, and even - almost - convincing Dexter to give himself up. Only to be foiled by his erstwhile partner, Deb, who of course didn't know what she was doing when he praised Dexter's cooking. This show just kills me with its continual irony.

If only he hadn't been such a lone wolf, he could have taken the blood slides to the FBI. They would have been inadmissible as evidence but his story would have at least set up a doubt in their minds. He could have provided the alibis for himself that LaGuerta later dug up, and proven at least that he couldn't be the BHB. And Lundy himself intuited Doakes was innocent. Together they might have managed to trip Dexter up. Why couldn't the FBI also put a "GPS trace" on Dexter's boat?

But I see how this plotline could not be told without Doakes' death. I'm just happy that old one-note Doakes got some nice development and memorable scenes before the end. I wish Dexter could win an Emmy as a kind of tribute to Doakes' sacrifice. He was the main reason why this season was just a tad better than even the amazing first season. Dexter vs. Brian was great but Dexter vs. Doakes was epic.

I agree with our recapper in that his death was lazy and a missed opportunity for a wonderful Dex-Doakes twisted brotherhood storyline.

When Doakes killed the Haitian, I wanted this storyline to materialize (Doakes could have died at the end of S3, then) but the way the character was developed since that episode, it became less plausible. He's simply too rigid, and doesn't have the dash of cynicism - or maybe just moral flexibility - that would have made it plausible.

But with another character, this plotline is still possible. I wonder about ever-careerist LaGuerta. Dexter must be really useful to keeping down the murder rate in Miami, and that's gotta be good for her...or maybe even a character who's not yet joined the cast.

Edited by Temis the Vorta, Sep 17, 2008 @ 8:20 PM.

baileyboomagoo

baileyboomagoo

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 29, 2008 @ 10:49 PM

I feel like Doakes' death will have to have repercussions that will play out this season. Especially with LaGuerta. She can't be over it yet.

Also I just have to mention how much I love the title of this thread. I will miss Doakes' excessive hilarious swearing.

Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta

Fanatic

Posted Sep 5, 2009 @ 8:07 PM

I feel like Doakes' death will have to have repercussions that will play out this season. Especially with LaGuerta. She can't be over it yet.

Well rats. She does seem to be over it. As of the end of S3, she's even become a bit entangled with Dex, what with them sharing the secret about Miguel killing Ellen Wolf. Makes me really wonder where LaGuerta's plotline goes...

But it looks like this prediction came true:

But with another character, this plotline is still possible. I wonder about ever-careerist LaGuerta. Dexter must be really useful to keeping down the murder rate in Miami, and that's gotta be good for her...or maybe even a character who's not yet joined the cast.

So if the TV gods are listening, how about figuring out a way to get Doakes back on the show, hee hee.

Edited by Temis the Vorta, Sep 5, 2009 @ 8:09 PM.

archer1267

archer1267

Fanatic

Posted Dec 1, 2009 @ 5:38 PM

No kidding. As long as they're having Dexter interact (on a regular basis now!) with the spirit of Harry, why not throw Doakes in there? "So you let this Trinity guy get away, you crazy motherfucker?"

I know it'd never happen, but I miss Doakes!! I occasionally play YouTube clips of the headbutt scene and crack up each time. There hasn't been a great foil within Miami PD since, although they're trying with Quinn...I like Quinn, but he's no Doakes.

Wendi

Wendi

Fanatic

Posted Jan 3, 2010 @ 12:25 AM

I just finished season 2. So glad he is dead. I HATED him. I can't stand jerks like him. I hated him so much that I was rooting for his death even though he was an innocent man. The psycho Lila made herself useful in that one area.

Natural510

Natural510

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 8, 2010 @ 4:07 AM

Funny...Doakes was my favorite character and his death is the reason I likely won't watch past season 2. Not because I'm a fanboy, but because it was the turning point from Dexter hunting on a moral basis and Dexter sacrificing an innocent man for his own survival. He saw through Dexter's facade, having hunted psycopathic killers his entire career (i.e. special ops in Haiti). If that makes him a jerk, well then he was a jerk for doing his job.

Edited by Natural510, Feb 8, 2010 @ 4:12 AM.

Myndela

Myndela

Fanatic

• Interests:Classic rock, bead weaving, playing the guitar and writing music.

Posted Feb 8, 2010 @ 4:37 AM

Funny...Doakes was my favorite character and his death is the reason I likely won't watch past season 2. Not because I'm a fanboy, but because it was the turning point from Dexter hunting on a moral basis and Dexter sacrificing an innocent man for his own survival. He saw through Dexter's facade, having hunted psycopathic killers his entire career (i.e. special ops in Haiti). If that makes him a jerk, well then he was a jerk for doing his job.

I'd say that that's a good plan. The show went downhill after season two. And they are trying to make some stupid character into a Doakes 2.0, and it just fails. Truly, the show should have ended after season two. The quality isn't there anymore.

Natural510

Natural510

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 8, 2010 @ 5:44 AM

Ahh, good to know, thanks. Seeing John Lithgow as a seriel killer does peak my interest somewhat, but perhaps I'll just rent some 3rd Rock DVDs instead.

Myndela

Myndela

Fanatic

• Interests:Classic rock, bead weaving, playing the guitar and writing music.

Posted Feb 8, 2010 @ 6:18 AM

Ahh, good to know, thanks. Seeing John Lithgow as a seriel killer does peak my interest somewhat, but perhaps I'll just rent some 3rd Rock DVDs instead.

No problem. I'm a huge JL fan, and he was great with what they gave him, but what they gave him was plodding and awful. What was written and how it was written was so beneath an actor of his talent. He deserves much, much better. (Oh, and you can get the "3rd Rock" DVDs for really cheap on Amazon.com) Same goes for Michael C. Hall, Jennifer Carpenter, and the other few good actors. But really, I am now embarassed that I gave out the DVDs of the first two seasons to all of my friends and got them hooked, that's how bad it's gotten.

clauke

clauke

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 8, 2010 @ 8:31 AM

Doakes was a great character, but I don't believe keeping him around for longer would have been good for the show.
The problem was that he was simply too good at seeing through Dexter, and his relentless pursuit needed a payoff at some point. That, unfortunately, meant either ending the show or ending Doakes. If he hadn't caught on to Dexter by the end of season 2, he would have looked stupid. You can't have him glaring at Dexter and saying "I'm watching you, MF" for four years - that would become ridiculous after a while and diminish his character. He always had an expiration date.
Unless, of course, you turn him into a creepy cripple like the novels do, but that wouldn't work on TV.

Natural510

Natural510

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 13, 2010 @ 9:16 PM

A bit late in replying, but you're right...his character had reached its apex if the show was to continue as is. I just didn't like the way it went down, with Dex being complicit in the death of an innocent....it kind of went against everything which made him a sympathetic character.

brittania

brittania

Stalker

Posted Jul 31, 2011 @ 9:55 AM

I found Doakes to be over the top. I do not mind the vulgar language, but he wayyyy overused it. Also, I found his stalking of Dexter to be even creepier than anything Dexter was doing. I mean, he suspected there was something off about him, but that does not make it okay for him to stalk him with no evidence of it. I really wished Dexter had reported him for the stalking a lot sooner. It made Dex even more suspicious when he held off on reporting it for so long. And Doakes comment about his "past being more mysterious than Jimmy Fucking Hoffa"--how many people have something crucial in their lives prior to the age of 3? Seriously? It was none of Doakes business as far as I'm concerned. Dexter was only 3 when he was adopted and anything that happened before that would not even seem important most of the time. What if Doakes had found out about how he came to be adopted by the Morgan's? What would that have proved? That Dex was traumatized at an early age by an event he did not even remember for over 30 years.

blackvelvet

blackvelvet

Just Tuned In

• Interests:movies, television series, travelling, going out with friends, music, .....

Posted Sep 25, 2011 @ 7:15 AM

Doakes was by far the most enervating character for me. Didn't understand how he concluded that the weird Dexter must be a criminal / killer and therefore thought his actions were ridiculously exaggerated. Also I wondered how he could treat Dexter as the blood expert as contemptuous and aggressive as he did. Doakes background was only roughly drafted and that made it hard to understand him. It would have been good if his relationship with LaGuerta would have got more room to make him more 'human'. However, I like the scenes with Deb, his mother and sister which were funny and could have paved the way to get to know the other side of Doakes.
He was like caricature of a primitive and stubborn cop with his own rules and I was kind of relieved when he died.

prophetreturns

prophetreturns

Fanatic

Posted Oct 24, 2011 @ 10:21 PM

1)Like him or not Doakes was right about Dexter.

2)By keeping Doakes locked up in order to protect his own "criminal" actions, Dexter is partially responsible for the death of a man who was not only not a menace to society, but a fellow law officer.

3)Dexter is complicit in allowing Doakes' reputation to be sullied. Doakes, in death, takes the blame for murders he did not commit. It doesn’t matter what one thinks of the man, he was not a serial killer. It is not right that his career work is completely tarnished because he is now denounced for crimes that he never committed. It wasn’t fair to him and it especially wasn’t fair to his family who have to live with the shame and pain that comes when a loved one is labeled by society as a murderous psychopath. It is actually Dexter who fits that label. And Dexter allowing a dead man to take the fall for his own actions proved to me that Dexter’s moral code is a sham. When it came time to accepting blame and punishment his own responsibilities by turning himself in and clearing Doakes’ name, he instead chose the cowards’ way out all the while justifying to himself why it was important he continued his work.

Fans of the show can make excuses for Dexter and play favorites all they want but in the end these points I mention remain true. And it is a disappointment to me that TPTB haven’t even raised the issue regarding Doakes since.

spiritfox

spiritfox

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 12, 2012 @ 3:52 PM

Just watched the whole series, and Doakes was and is my all-time favourite character (besides Dex). The head-butting/subsequent-attack scene is the best.scene.EVAH!!! And the scenes where Doakes and Dex get to chatting, in the cabin? Awesome. Yeah, none of the other seasons really measured up to season two, IMO, and Doakes was a big part of that.

ReiMehari

ReiMehari

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 22, 2012 @ 1:18 PM

It's my fantasy to have Dexter have some trauma (head or emotional) or whatever happen to him. And then instead of Harry, he'd see blasts from his past. Including the one, the only, Doakes.

"Surprise, Motherfucker."

Last season took a step closer to that, with the Rudy's bit.

Edited by ReiMehari, Sep 22, 2012 @ 1:21 PM.

paradig_m

paradig_m

Fanatic

Posted Oct 13, 2012 @ 1:09 PM

And years later it appears that LaGuerta will try to redeem Doakes....

ReiMehari

ReiMehari

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 17, 2012 @ 5:55 PM

And years later it appears that LaGuerta will try to redeem Doakes....

Better late than never...

Jaundiced Eye

Jaundiced Eye

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 17, 2012 @ 3:44 PM

I didn't realize how much I missed Doakes until last night's episode: "Surprise, Motherfucker!"

Doakes really nailed it when he said that Dexter didn't walk like a person, but GLIDED "like a lizard on ice." I don't know about the lizard on ice part, but Michael C. Hall as Dexter truly does glide.

Hope to see more of Doakes in the final season.