Morning Joe

• Please log in to reply

13005 replies to this topic

wish liszt

wish liszt

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 30, 2007 @ 5:54 AM

Every day of this show is terrible and getting worse all the time. Yesterday was made even worse by Jack Jacobs being there. I think he is such an arrogant smart-ass.

And I hate that Mika seems like she has to be apologetic about her opinions, lest Joe and Willie (what's his purpose/gimmick, anyway?) ridicule them. Which they will do anyway. They're red-blooded American males who understand the working man, you know.

Edited by wish liszt, Oct 30, 2007 @ 6:00 AM.

EagerContrarian

EagerContrarian

Fanatic

Posted Oct 30, 2007 @ 7:18 AM

I emailed the show after the first airing of the O'Reilly/O'Donnell mess because Willie kept smugly claiming that Rosie did say that 9/11 was an inside job, which she never did. So then they re-air the mess and Geist is even more adamant and smug in his assertion. Where's the tape where she said that? Oh that's right, it doesn't exist! They (Joe and Willie) appear as ignorant as O'Reilly.

johnblue

johnblue

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 30, 2007 @ 12:19 PM

Didn't she make some comments that indicated Building 7 fell suspiciously? I didn't see her comments so feel free to correct any misimpressions but I think Bill Maher also attacked her allegations.

EagerContrarian

EagerContrarian

Fanatic

Posted Oct 30, 2007 @ 1:57 PM

Didn't she make some comments that indicated Building 7 fell suspiciously?

Yes she did, she also mentioned that building 7 was not part of the 9/11 Commission Report and that it was the base of Giuliani's security operations - at the same time she said that buildings 1 and 2 fell because terrorists flew planes into them. Mostly, she just wanted building 7 addressed, which to me is not the same as calling 9/11 an inside job. Interestingly, Scarborough, O'Reilly, Gibson, Hannity, (all the usual suspects) never showed her full statements in context, they just kept snipping her talking about fire and molten steel, and you know - rearranging clips to make it look like she was calling the soldiers terrorists. I don't remember Maher ever mentioning it, but I may have missed it.

Bottom line, Joe got a twofer this morning, he got to poke at O'Donnell and O'Reilly, but damn the facts. That's like the nonsense yesterday morning about Clinton behaving as if she were already president in the context of Giuliani's remarks about ending *cowboy diplomacy* and sending well-respected politicians around the world to repair relations with other countries - I've seen Clinton say these things in the context of the question - "What are the first things you would do as president?" I don't know, I just get sick of manufactured drama and manipulated sound bites - mileage varies, I'm sure.

Edited by EagerContrarian, Oct 30, 2007 @ 1:57 PM.

wish liszt

wish liszt

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 30, 2007 @ 4:36 PM

Mostly, she just wanted building 7 addressed, which to me is not the same as calling 9/11 an inside job. Interestingly, Scarborough, O'Reilly, Gibson, Hannity, (all the usual suspects) never showed her full statements in context, they just kept snipping her talking about fire and molten steel, and you know - rearranging clips to make it look like she was calling the soldiers terrorists.

Yep, that's right. At one point Bitsy even asked Rosie, point blank, if she thought the gov't did it and Rosie said she didn't know. Then Rosie was asked what she does think happened to it, and again she said "I don't know".

It pisses me off when Joe and Willie start pulling things out of their asses like that. I'm nearly at the end of my rope with them and this show.

MommaJ

MommaJ

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 1, 2007 @ 2:31 AM

Does MSNBC truly think that the audience that used to watch the spirited and sophisticated political discussions on Imus' show is now content to watch newspaper headlines being read out loud? The show is an embarrassment.

EagerContrarian

EagerContrarian

Fanatic

Posted Nov 1, 2007 @ 6:32 AM

If Joe thinks using the Brothers Johnson as bumper music is going to make me overlook his shitty treatment of Mika he's dead wrong! He really caved on the subject of long-time foreign service people objecting to forced assignments in Iraq when Andrea Mitchell showed up and pointed out that we've not seen this since Vietnam - what a puss! She took the smug right out of him.

And that's right MSNBC as a whole, keep bashing Clinton and create a backlash.

i am rick

i am rick

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 1, 2007 @ 7:09 AM

After successfully avoiding this show for many weeks, I tuned in this morning to see why this thread just won't die and be properly buried on page 22. However it is reassuring to see that the reason this thread BTT's now and then is because some people hate this show enough to feel compelled to share their pain with others here.

Today is my first time to see the new digs. Wow. It looks and sounds like they are working in abandoned furniture warehouse. Today Willie, Mika, and Joe where crowded around what looked like a small dining table serving as a single desktop for the three of them. This was set in the center of a vast expanse of nothing and surrounded by lots of big screens and bright colors.

Just in the time it took to type this I've gotten enough Morning Joe to last me for the next few months. Gawd this show sucks.
Except Mika, to whom I remain devoted.

xavier03

xavier03

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 1, 2007 @ 8:32 AM

And that's right MSNBC as a whole, keep bashing Clinton and create a backlash.

Preach it! Glad to see I'm not the only one who feels this way. I'll even go one step further and say NBC News as a whole. Keep it up!

Edited by xavier03, Nov 1, 2007 @ 8:33 AM.

Samwil

Samwil

Fanatic

Posted Nov 1, 2007 @ 6:32 PM

If Joe thinks using the Brothers Johnson as bumper music is going to make me overlook his shitty treatment of Mika he's dead wrong! He really caved on the subject of long-time foreign service people objecting to forced

Honestly, listening to those two go at it makes me queasy!! I don't want diarreah pangs first thing in the morning!!!

EagerContrarian

EagerContrarian

Fanatic

Posted Nov 6, 2007 @ 5:38 AM

I'm can't wait for the show this morning, how are Joe and Willie going to handle the reports of Rosie O'Donnell possibly getting the old Scarborough Country time slot... the plot thickens. Hee!

thunderkat

thunderkat

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 7, 2007 @ 2:45 AM

Morning Joe sucks but I still watch. I never found any part of Imus' show on MSNBC sophisticated but I still watched. I still don't understand why Joe only bothers to show up a couple of days a week and often an hour or so late. Willie is a bore and a pretentious wannabe who is the main reason I flip the channel when I've had my fill of blah.

EagerContrarian

EagerContrarian

Fanatic

Posted Nov 7, 2007 @ 8:55 AM

So Geist, the glorified gossip reporter takes another swipe at The View; his pomposity and self-aggrandizement really grates, it's not cute anymore.

Jennionthefarm

Jennionthefarm

Fanatic

Posted Nov 28, 2007 @ 4:42 PM

Willie has become more annoying over time- he's quite happy to agree with Joe's retarded frat boy comments and opinions. Have they made fun of any men lately (or ever)?

I read Mark Penn's book Microtrends. It was really interesting, and Joe did a crappy job on this interview. I was really looking forward to it, and of course Joe had to spend most of the time talking about Hillary. He didn't really tie in the idea of microtrends with the campaign even. It was a real disappointment. Why do I watch this show? Good question.

eavj

eavj

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 28, 2007 @ 7:36 PM

Why do I watch this show? Good question.

I often ask myself the same question . . . but the alternatives are so much worse. (Of course, I could always turn off the TV. ACK! What did I just say?)

Anyway, I'm sort of a politics junkie, so I like the fact that this show deals so often with politics. I like Mika, too.

Joe? I think, in some ways, he's less irritating than he was on the evening show, but, yes, he definitely has a frat boy mentality. What troubles me is that the show is so skewed to the right. Not only is Joe a conservative, but Willie seems pretty down-the-line conservative, too. Even the entertainment reporter seems to join in on the piling on of any anti-Bush comments made by celebrities.

And yet I still watch . . .

Zzingerific

Zzingerific

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 29, 2007 @ 8:36 AM

Why do I watch this show? Good question

I often ask myself the same question . . . but the alternatives are so much worse.

What, Fox and Friends isn't to your liking? :)

Another fratboy characteristic of Joe is that he is more than happy to trash someone behind their back, but when they're on his show he wants everyone to like him and buy into his "average Joe" bit. This morning he was really kissing Mitt Romney's ass. Softball after softball. Bleh.

Does anyone know the name of that tool from CNBC who is partnered with Erin Burnett? I almost dropped my coffee this morning when he said "Joe is surrounded by mean, harsh women." Wha? I think he was only half joking. Apparently another pledge into Joe's frat (along with Willie Geist, who I used to love until he got sucked into the vortex that is Joe).

Paxton

Paxton

Fanatic

Posted Nov 30, 2007 @ 2:12 PM

Willie seems pretty down-the-line conservative, too. Even the entertainment reporter seems to join in on the piling on of any anti-Bush comments made by celebrities.

Yesterday's show had the perfect example of this, with the entertainment reporter and Willie primly disapproving of Stephen King commenting that maybe Jenna Bush should be waterboarded. I believe his point was that perhaps Bush might rethink his position on what is and isn't torture if his own daughter were subjected to it; I can't imagine that King seriously meant Jenna should be tortured. But that isn't how Willie and what's her name saw it, as they cluck-clucked over how anybody could say a 27 year old woman should be waterboarded. It would have been nice if there had been someone there to provide another interpretation.

This morning I was kind of annoyed with Mika for brushing off the Guiliani story as being primarily about his adultery and not worthy of coverage. I get and totally agree that if the story were simply about him having an affair--which was already public knowledge--I have no interest in it. The question however, as I understand it, relates to his use of public funds. If no rules were violated, then I agree there's no story there, but I do think it's legitimate to question a former public official's usage of taxpayer monies while in his or her office.

Jennionthefarm

Jennionthefarm

Fanatic

Posted Nov 30, 2007 @ 3:04 PM

This morning I was kind of annoyed with Mika for brushing off the Guiliani story as being primarily about his adultery and not worthy of coverage. I get and totally agree that if the story were simply about him having an affair--which was already public knowledge--I have no interest in it. The question however, as I understand it, relates to his use of public funds. If no rules were violated, then I agree there's no story there, but I do think it's legitimate to question a former public official's usage of taxpayer monies while in his or her office.

Maybe it's different in NYC? A public official using taxpayer money to provide security/driver services for his mistress? Um no. All 3 of them seemed to think it was no big deal. Maybe in JFK's day, but today I think they are way off.

And since Tweety has said it on this show, I'll just say that his obsession with big city, east coast mayors, and his conviction that most Americans have tremendous respect for big city mayors and want them to lead us through the wilderness makes him seem completely out of it. Sometimes he seems to be lost in the past.

EagerContrarian

EagerContrarian

Fanatic

Posted Dec 1, 2007 @ 2:38 PM

This morning I was kind of annoyed with Mika for brushing off the Guiliani story as being primarily about his adultery and not worthy of coverage.

This is about the third of fourth time I've seen Mika get sucked in to what I guess I'd call *groupthink* in the last couple months. I know one of the examples was something about Hillary Clinton that Joe was excoriating about and Willie-boy jumped on the bandwagon with Mika following along, but there's been a few others as well, rats my memory fails. Anyway, it's getting more frequent and it seems like she is just going along to get along. Really a shame I think.

Zzingerific

Zzingerific

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 3, 2007 @ 10:32 AM

I had to laugh at Joe today. He was interviewing Christopher Hitchens about his new atheist reader (I forget what the title is). The interview wasn't bad, although Joe kept wanting to talk about why books about atheism are selling well rather than Hitchens' book. At any rate, after the interview Joe kept going on and on about how he was going to keep this book away from his sons. I couldn't help but think that one of his sons is nineteen and in college; it made me chuckle that Joe thinks he has any control whatsoever over what his son reads. Typical Joe bluster -- it would serve him right if his son came home for Christmas as an atheist pinko-commie :)

Rickster

Rickster

Fanatic

Posted Dec 4, 2007 @ 1:59 PM

Does anyone know the name of that tool from CNBC who is partnered with Erin Burnett? I almost dropped my coffee this morning when he said "Joe is surrounded by mean, harsh women." Wha? I think he was only half joking. Apparently another pledge into Joe's frat (along with Willie Geist, who I used to love until he got sucked into the vortex that is Joe).

Mark Haynes. I was 100% sure he was joking. Although I could see where he may be a bit jealous of Erin's success.

radicalmoderate

radicalmoderate

Fanatic

Posted Dec 7, 2007 @ 7:43 AM

I'm just looking for a morning news cast that just gives me the news pleasantly in a mildly interesting format without without begging me to join a club or berating one political party. Is that so hard?

I think thats why I keep going back to Joe every so often. Yesterday I thought he was good for maybe a whole minute or so.

Today I tuned back in, only to have him reading the paper to me. At one point Mika got interested in another story, turned away from him and started reading another paper, not even participating with him.

Good god in heaven who allows these people to stay on air.

Edited by radicalmoderate, Dec 7, 2007 @ 7:43 AM.

EagerContrarian

EagerContrarian

Fanatic

Posted Dec 7, 2007 @ 8:10 AM

David Schuster had got to be the hardest working newsguy in the business.

Schuster > Mika > Joe > Willie in my world, it's been a nice few days without the snotty one. I liked Willie just fine in his bits with Tucker, but I find him insufferable and a purveyor of twisted truth when he's allowed to go on for three hours - I really can't stand his bits with Courtney - and that's supposed to be his forte.

Samwil

Samwil

Fanatic

Posted Dec 11, 2007 @ 2:26 PM

Schuster gave Joe a big smack down this morning. Ahh...it's a good day.

BlazerMary

BlazerMary

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 11, 2007 @ 3:55 PM

I'm in the category of like Joe, tolerate Willie, and loathe Mika. Mika's elitism is insulting...we get it, you're from the East Coast, you live in NY, your dad worked for Carter .....get over yourself. Her constant "sighing" when reading the news is unprofessional and is usually when I change the channel. How about news without the editorial comment? It can be done.

Edited by BlazerMary, Dec 11, 2007 @ 3:56 PM.

wish liszt

wish liszt

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 12, 2007 @ 11:38 AM

Joe's falling all over himself to defend Giuliani this morning was gag-worthy. If it wasn't bad enough that he asked, "Why are Democrats so irrationally mean to Rudy?" When Mika tried to point out that that's not the case, there are very legitimate criticisms of his performance pre-911, Joe actually and seriously "countered" it with, "He was TIME magazine's man of the year after 911. Don't try bring up things just to make him look bad." Then he dismissed her like a child and went back to talking to Tweety. I changed the channel.

This show is just unwatchable for more than five minutes.

radicalmoderate

radicalmoderate

Fanatic

Posted Dec 12, 2007 @ 4:26 PM

I am so sorry I missed this. Please share the many snark worthy details.

philmphile

philmphile

Fanatic

Posted Dec 13, 2007 @ 1:42 PM

Yes, it was lovely. I'm waiting for Joe to say something to merit getting on Keith Olbermann's Worst Person list.

Another fratboy characteristic of Joe is that he is more than happy to trash someone behind their back, but when they're on his show he wants everyone to like him and buy into his "average Joe" bit. This morning he was really kissing Mitt Romney's ass. Softball after softball. Bleh.

Word. Joe starts bragging "I'm going to ask so-and-so about this or that," then, when the person comes on, he's sucking up to him big time. And the thing about the comment about Mormons beliefs comes from propoganda from EVANGELICAL CHRISTIANS, of which Joe is one. Then Joe pretends like he's never heard any anti-Mormon propoganda. He goes into some-of-my-best-friends-are-Mormons tap dance mode.

Edited by philmphile, Dec 13, 2007 @ 1:50 PM.

Rickster

Rickster

Fanatic

Posted Dec 14, 2007 @ 12:33 PM

One thing that struck me last week when Joe was discussing the Mormon controversy was that he said, "anyone who accepts Jesus Christ as their personal saviour is a Christian to me" or words to that effect. Does he not realize that this is an Evangelical principle and not necessarily shared by mainstream Protestants, Catholics, Orthodox, etc., let alone Mormons?

radicalmoderate

radicalmoderate

Fanatic

Posted Dec 14, 2007 @ 6:06 PM

I just think if he wants to be a TV preacher he should go ahead and get it over with. This morning he spent 10 minutes on some pledge Huckabee signed that said women should submit to men. Joe gave us the whole description of its Biblical reference.

But of course that was in between 2 showings of naked Paris Hilton painted in gold. The men came off like they enjoyed flashing the picture. It irritated Mika until she walked off set. No really, like stomped off in a huff.

Could Joe be any less polite or insightful? Is he really oblivious to the fact that you can't sit there and pontificate religion to me and then keep flashing naked pictures like a horny frat boy?

And as I describe the scene you'd think it was somehow more interesting than it was but, no. He did it all in a monotone voice with bad transitions and that ridiculous haircut. What a mess.

And I'm starting to get irritated with Mika. When she stomped off I just thought, if you know its this bad quit this show altogether.