Morning Joe

• Please log in to reply

12999 replies to this topic

shabbieshok

shabbieshok

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 6:14 AM

It seems to me there's something wrong with journalists (and I use that term very loosely when it comes to Joe and Mika and their cohorts) eulogizing fellow journalists and making it seem like the dearly departed were among some of the most important people in the world. Ergo, they themselves must be hugely important too.

I don't mean for a minute to minimize the job that Wallace did or that he was very very good at his profession, but they go on and on and on about them and their lives as if it was a head of state who had died.

Also love how they are gleefully chortling over last month's job numbers. There are any number of knowledgeable people who have analyzed the numbers and the main nugget that can be gleaned from their analysis is that one month of stats don't give you a clear picture, you have to take a larger view of the whole situation, but it's given Joe and his Republican cronies some red meat to chew on. Joe wasn't nearly so interested in the previous months when the numbers were stronger but these are just preliminary numbers and they will be adjusted.

Just a little tidbit for you Joe as to why the number of people looking for work is starting to decline quite robustly is that there are 10,000 people a day reaching 65 and the whole war baby boom is starting to retire. There is actually going to be a worrisome shortage of qualified workers in the not too distant future.

oakville1969

oakville1969

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 6:54 AM

IMO Mika doing the moderating at that White House conference on women was a conflict. As much as it chokes me to say so, she is a "journalist", as opposed to an expert or a pundit

Mika was criticized by Howard Kurtz of CNN for doing that.It's ironic that today's discussion about Mike Wallace is all about the seriousness of journalism & Mika who was part of 60 minutes, which is a respected TV show, now is hosting events at the White House. ?

I could never see Mika being tough with Michelle Obama as Mike Wallace was with Nancy Reagan over getting paid 2 million to do speaking engagements in Japan in the early 1990's.

http://newsbusters.o...ouse-forum-obam

Mika made ( bought ) a cake for Joe! It's his birthday!.

shabbieshok

shabbieshok

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 7:10 AM

Mika was criticized by Howard Kurtz of CNN for doing that

Howard Kurtz criticizes absolutely everything that has even the most remote connection to Obama.

I'll always remember Kurtz having Whoopie Goldberg on and going on and on about all the wonderful coverage Obama was getting while the media was picking on McCain. Goldberg looked at him askance and asked if he wanted Obama to do something stupid just so they'd have something to be critical about? As she said, a butterfly is going to be more positively described than a mosquito, and Obama and the hundreds of thousands of people coming out to his rallies was a positive story moreso than a couple thousand gun toting yahoos going to Palin's and calling Obama a terrorist.

Eliot

Eliot

Stalker

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 9:00 AM

I could never see Mika being tough with Michelle Obama as Mike Wallace was with Nancy Reagan over getting paid 2 million to do speaking engagements in Japan in the early 1990's.

Just look at how they fawn over Liz "Daughter of Darth" Cheney whenever she brings her shrill hatred to their show.

Edited by Eliot, Apr 9, 2012 @ 9:00 AM.

oakville1969

oakville1969

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 9:11 AM

It seems to me there's something wrong with journalists (and I use that term very loosely when it comes to Joe and Mika and their cohorts) eulogizing fellow journalists and making it seem like the dearly departed were among some of the most important people in the world. Ergo, they themselves must be hugely important too.
I don't mean for a minute to minimize the job that Wallace did or that he was very very good at his profession, but they go on and on and on about them and their lives as if it was a head of state who had died.

I agree. It would be nice if Mika & Joe learned how to do proper interviews instead of shouting at their guests. You could see that Mike Wallace did a substantial amount of research on a topic before interviewing the guests

Also love how they are gleefully chortling over last month's job numbers. There are any number of knowledgeable people who have analyzed the numbers and the main nugget that can be gleaned from their analysis is that one month of stats don't give you a clear picture, you have to take a larger view of the whole situation, but it's given Joe and his Republican cronies some red meat to chew on. Joe wasn't nearly so interested in the previous months when the numbers were stronger but these are just preliminary numbers and they will be adjusted.

Just a little tidbit for you Joe as to why the number of people looking for work is starting to decline quite robustly is that there are 10,000 people a day reaching 65 and the whole war baby boom is starting to retire. There is actually going to be a worrisome shortage of qualified workers in the not too distant future.

Ratner gave a good explanation about the participation rate , which has dropped over 2%, real wages which have declined since 2006, & the number of jobs being created. There are so many revisions to the numbers that you cannot look at a month to month figure but should look at 6 month averages.

Joe forgot that last August a job report came out with zero jobs created & everyone called Obama President zero. The numbers were later revised upwards by 65K, a month later.

Joe & Remick got into a shouting match over the Supreme Court being politicized.

Joe said Obama has a guaranteed 4 votes on the Supreme Court to keep Obamacare constitutional.

Eliot

Eliot

Stalker

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 2:23 PM

Ugh, it was only a matter of time before some fawning sycophant at MSNBC tried to link the greats of CBS News - Wallace, Cronkite, Bradley - with the lowly Tim Russert.

Really, MSNBC? We have to tolerate the annoyingly yappy Luke, PLUS you have the nerve to compare Tim Russert to Mike Wallace? How many naked pictures of Phil Griffin does the Russert estate possess, anyway?

gazerguy

gazerguy

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 2:38 PM

Definitely agree that it's tough to call Mika a journalist but IMHO this group should at least attempt to give the appearance of impartiality on the show. Can't stand the cheerleading for either one party or the other. WRT Russert (and the kid), they made/make no secret of their party affiliation. That said, don't believe Mika should be hosting WH conferences. Guess she's given up on journalism. Please get Luke-boy off my screen. (I know - not a snowball's chance in hell that's going to happen.)

ETA - Sorry, I meant "group" instead of groupy, haha. Do they have any groupies? Maybe at those campaign coffee stops? lol

Edited by gazerguy, Apr 9, 2012 @ 6:41 PM.

shabbieshok

shabbieshok

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 6:27 AM

I don't know why anybody would agree to go on MJ. They finally had a legitimate Democrat on, David Axelrod, to represent Pres Obama and Joe was so rude and disrespectful with his yelling and hollering and interrupting and demagoguing that if it had been me, I would have leaped over the table and punched him in his oversized snout. And then Halperin, exhibiting his fine journalistic abilities, got all wound up over the President using the word marvelous in his speech last week. No wonder the general American public is so uninformed when the meat of an important policy speech is ignored while the media gets all wigged out over one insignificant word. Of course it's ok for the Republicans to call President Obama every slur in the book but heaven forbid Obama should make a lame joke about Romney.

Congressman Ryan is going to be on shortly but I've changed the channel so I won't see it but I'll lay odds that Joe will be all obsequious and Ryan's ass will be sore from all the licking.

kingofpoppa

kingofpoppa

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 7:14 AM

Sounds like Joe's pitching an new reality show to E!....Keeping up with the Romney's.

Landsnarkk

Landsnarkk

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 7:45 AM

Luke Russert has more weight and gravitas in his little finger than Mike Brzyenski has in her career combined. He's mature, learned, alert, glib, handles complex data with facility and is charismatic.

Re: Mike Wallace -- News show television journalists are free to praise other news show television journalists when they pass because they share a lot in common. This isn't evident? One would imagine that every person in that industry could aspire to the heights of a Mike Wallace and use his success as a benchmark. He may have been their idol or mentor - he may have caused them to want to go into the business. How is this offensive? The role of television as a news delivery platform, the role of the investigative journalist as whistle-blower and cultural gadfly, and the methods of journalism are constantly evolving, and Mike Wallace affected the direction of this growth to a huge degree. I don't see any conflict with those within the industry noting this.

Mika and Joe are interviewing a TV and movie critic, James Wolcott of Vanity Fair, and Mika is reading her mobile device under the table, and then began flipping through a magazine. What is WRONG with her? Besides her jawline, her amazing skin, her legs in a pencil skirt and platform heels, and her fantastic haircut, what is her value on the show?

BlueSapphires

BlueSapphires

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 9:10 AM

Damn, do I miss Willie. As much as her surfs and gets douchtastic at times, he really is a smart guy who lightens up the table when needed. I can't watch 2 minutes of Luke doing his show.

Speaking of - why must Luke's hair always look like his mommy spit on it to plaster it down right before he went on air? It just screams, "Big Boy Haircut!", instead of the haircut of an actual man. And why must he shout?

oakville1969

oakville1969

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 9:44 AM

I don't know why anybody would agree to go on MJ. They finally had a legitimate Democrat on, David Axelrod, to represent Pres Obama and Joe was so rude and disrespectful with his yelling and hollering and interrupting and demagoguing that if it had been me, I would have leaped over the table and punched him in his oversized snout. And then Halperin, exhibiting his fine journalistic abilities, got all wound up over the President using the word marvelous in his speech last week. No wonder the general American public is so uninformed when the meat of an important policy speech is ignored while the media gets all wigged out over one insignificant word. Of course it's ok for the Republicans to call President Obama every slur in the book but heaven forbid Obama should make a lame joke about Romney.

I thought it was great that Axelrod fought back against Joe. He got Joe to admit that you can only solve the deficit with some additional tax revenue. Joe tried to get by saying he approved tax reform which would lower rates but reduce loopholes.Axelrod put him in his place by saying that after tax reform, there would still have to be additional revenue.

He also took a shot a Joe's opposition to the Buffet rule of minimum tax on millionaires because he said that Joe was opposed because he was a "newly minted" millionaire.

Halperin attacked Axelrod for defending Obama for making fun of Romney's use of the word marvelous. Halperin forgot that NBC news said that Obama also uses the word marvelous.

You're right that it is a trivial one liner, but that's what cable news focuses on.

Halperin has made a living by focusing on trivial anecdotes in Game Change, so why would he bash Axelrod for letting Obama use one lines?

I have yet to see a detailed analysis from Halperin of Romney's platform or Obama's platform.

Joe's drinking game alert: Joe defended the poor small buinessman who makes 250K per year.

shabbieshok

shabbieshok

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 4:47 PM

I thought it was great that Axelrod fought back against Joe. He got Joe to admit that you can only solve the deficit with some additional tax revenue. Joe tried to get by saying he approved tax reform which would lower rates but reduce loopholes.Axelrod put him in his place by saying that after tax reform, there would still have to be additional revenue.

I thought it was great too but the same conclusions could have been reached in a civil manner. The 'discussion' didn't need Joe's rudeness and bellicosity and screaming of lies and his own right wing dogma. The only good thing that comes out of a confrontation like that is it makes Axelrod look like the mature big kid in the room while Joe looks like a blithering idiot.

Luke Russert has weight and gravitas? Who knew?

oakville1969

oakville1969

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 6:08 PM

The only good thing that comes out of a confrontation like that is it makes Axelrod look like the mature big kid in the room while Joe looks like a blithering idiot.

Luke Russert has weight and gravitas? Who knew?

It's about time that someone shot down Joe on his own show.Joe blames Romney for not being conservative enough, but he doesn't come up with any concrete "conservative "ideas of his own.

Axelrod got Joe to admit that tax revenues will have to rise after "tax reform".

Luke Russert & Chelsea Clinton & Jenna Bush & Mika Brzezinski have benefited from their last name. NBC seems to have a certain budget to hire the kids of famous politicians & journalists.

I wonder how Joe will react to Santorum dropping out of the race tomorrow?

No more brokered convention...Chris Christie or Jeb Bush as white knight

kadooz

kadooz

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 7:29 AM

I think Fluke Russert is the Mitt Romney of broadcast journalism - robotically well researched and informed, utterly bland and ultimately unlikable.

maggie010

maggie010

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 8:38 AM

Yikes, what is with all of Luke's voice characterizations this morning on "Way Too Early?"

BlueSapphires

BlueSapphires

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 8:52 AM

Did Joe buy like 100 of those black sweaters, or is that one going to be able to sit up by itself pretty soon?

Bubba Watson looks like Joe's younger brother. And why on earth does Luke have a green jacket? I thought he was wearing Bubba's, but apparently he has one of his own.

Edited by BlueSapphires, Apr 11, 2012 @ 10:11 AM.

dagny

dagny

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 10:47 AM

So what did Governor Vag-Probe have to say? I saw that he was on and decided that I had better things to do.

BlueSapphires

BlueSapphires

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 2:46 PM

I blew right past Governor VP (thanks for that). But I did learn that Luke went out and bought a green jacket just to be funny. Willie? Come back. I'm sorry I ever called you a douche.

I did get a big laugh from Joe today, though. When Mika the buzz kill told the almost still crying Bubba Watson to get a haircut. Joe said something like, "What's the matter with you, Delilah?" HA

oakville1969

oakville1969

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 6:45 PM

Congratulations to Mika & Joe for making the Top 35 Power List from the Hollywood Reporter.

http://www.hollywood...rborough-309244

shabbieshok

shabbieshok

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 5:45 AM

I only had MJ on in the background and wasn't really listening as it's always the same bullshit over and over again but when they were talking about Mitt Romney's ridiculous claim that women accounted for 92% of the job losses under "Obama's recession", did anyone point out that it was a complete lie?

Drives me crazy how the media, not only MJ, keep playing these sound bites over and over again without any of the so called journalists telling the viewers what liars Romney and the other Republicans are and rebutting the lies with the facts.

kingofpoppa

kingofpoppa

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 7:08 AM

No one should ever expect an apology from anyone (including Allen West)but the question Joe should have brought up is...why would the guy ask the question and who the hell voted for this guy? Instead he and Dan Senor chiming in, I like Allen West!

Landsnarkk

Landsnarkk

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 7:25 AM

MJ is such a disappointment so many times.
The soundbyte they are playing from the CNN show where the woman says, (paraphrasing) "Mitt Romney says repeatedly he knows what American women are thinking because he asks his wife and she tells him what is important to American women. She's never worked a day in her life." The point the woman was trying to make is that Mitt Romney's credibility on "knowing what women want" because he asks his wife about it is... uh... tenuous at best. And that a man who wants to be President "proves" that his knowledge of women's issues is valid and thorough because he asks his wife about it is simply poor rhetoric.
She is NOT saying that his wife is any less of whatever for being a stay at home mom and assistant campaigner. But, of course, Joe demagogues the issue and attacks the woman for denigrating all stay at home moms. Mika throws a petulant temper tantrum about how SHE KNOWS what it's like to raise children let alone 5 boys.

Interesting point nobody on the show brought up:
Must be hard to raise 5 boys sent away to private school along with a full service staff that live in your mansion. What does Mrs Romney tell her husband about what most American women want? A 5th butler? A less sassy live-in professional chef? A more charming flower arranger? A less Puerto Ricany gardening staff?

madfortv

madfortv

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 5:28 PM

Landsnarkk said:

Must be hard to raise 5 boys sent away to private school along with a full service staff that live in your mansion. What does Mrs Romney tell her husband about what most American women want?

Exactly. My husband wanted to know how often she scrubs the floors in all those mansions. To me, this has nothing to do with her being a stay at home Mom but everything to do with her money and lifestyle. She may be sympathetic but she doesn't have the same experiences as most of the women in this country.

More importantly, she isn't the one I want to understand my needs. It is Romney, and not through some interpreter. Does he need someone to be advocate for all other groups or is it just women?

oakville1969

oakville1969

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 7:29 PM

Interesting point nobody on the show brought up:
Must be hard to raise 5 boys sent away to private school along with a full service staff that live in your mansion. What does Mrs Romney tell her husband about what most American women want? A 5th butler? A less sassy live-in professional chef? A more charming flower arranger? A less Puerto Ricany gardening staff?

This is a good point. It is difficult to raise 5 boys while staying home, but I am sure that Mrs Romney had household staff to help. Mrs Romney also suffers from MS & had breast cancer, so it's not like she would be physically able to go & work in a cafeteria.

I saw the first 15 minutes of the show & they focused on Allen West's comments about communists in the democratic party.

It looks like Morning Joe dropped the ball on the scandal of the day. The twitterverse went wild over Hilary Rosen's comments. I follow several Democrats like Axelrod & he bashed her, & apparently Wolf Blitzer forced her to appologize on CNN today.

At least Joe & Mika called her " a friend" of the show. I wonder if she will appear on Morning Joe soon?

I love how Mika & Joe are going to do a show from Fenway Park on April 20th. Mika now wants to take her kids to see the mets at Citi field in NY?? I thought she was a Re Sox Fan?

Any bets if they will go to the white house correspondent's dinner in May & get wasted on the White House Lawn like they did 2 years ago ? That was the best Morning Joe Sunday show ever!

Eliot

Eliot

Stalker

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 8:33 PM

It is difficult to raise 5 boys while staying home, but I am sure that Mrs Romney had household staff to help. Mrs Romney also suffers from MS & had breast cancer, so it's not like she would be physically able to go & work in a cafeteria.

Imagine being a working class single mother of 5 with breast cancer and MS who HAS to go work in a cafeteria. You'd think she'd have more empathy for the women who will be victimized by Romney's budget policies.

It's a shame everyone focused on the first half of Hilary Rosen's comment and not the second half, which is absolutely true: "She's never really dealt with the kinds of economic issues that a majority of the women in this country are facing."

A few years ago, when Romney was running for governor of Massachusetts, Ann Romney gave an interview to the Boston Globe, during which she complained about being so poor in their student days that they actually had to SELL STOCK (as opposed to, oh, I don't know, GET JOBS).

I was annoyed when they brought up the Rosen quote in the same segment as the reprehensible comments by Allen West about Democrats being Communists. It was nice that Joe condemned West, but then he pulled his old false-equivalence schtick by trying to draw a comparison to what Rosen said.

oakville1969

oakville1969

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 8:57 PM

Imagine being a working class single mother of 5 with breast cancer and MS who HAS to go work in a cafeteria. You'd think she'd have more empathy for the women who will be victimized by Romney's budget policies.

Good point. I am shocked that Messina , Axelrod & Michelle Obama did not do a better job of defending Hilary Rosen's comments which were taken out of context.

Ms Rosen was a top adviser to the DNC & was hired to help Debbie wasserman Shultz visited the White House over 35 times & now they dump all over her.

I am curious whether or not Joe will let her on the show since it appears she won't be welcome on CNN anymore. They defended Pat Buchanan when he was fired from MSNBC yet haven't brought FMR Governor of New Jersey John Corzine on the show to defend the fraud charges against him for bankrupting the mutual fund.

On a more important note, why was Joe dressed up in a sportscoat?

Edited by oakville1969, Apr 12, 2012 @ 8:59 PM.

shabbieshok

shabbieshok

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 10:25 PM

I am curious whether or not Joe will let her on the show since it appears she won't be welcome on CNN anymore.

Of course she'll be welcome on CNN. They love any Democrats or anything that's related to the Democratic Party that can somehow be shown in a negative light. Hilary's too smart to be on MJ but she'd be great on a lot of other MSNBC shows. (And Blitzer didn't force her to apologize. He gave her an opportunity to explain her comment more fully.)

You have to give the Republicans credit. They sure have the media messaging game down pat. They can somehow manage to blow up something innocuous into a big fooferah while shutting down any coverage of their own foot in mouth episodes. The Democrats need to be more brazen and just lie through their teeth the way the Republicans do.

The media in general just drives me absolutely crazy. They go so nuts over stupid little fights and tiffs and ignore the policy being discussed. Isn't their job supposed to be to inform and educate their viewers? There are very few journalists who do.

Edited by shabbieshok, Apr 12, 2012 @ 10:27 PM.

QueenL

QueenL

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 5:21 AM

The conversations about Hilary Rosen on Morning Joe are so freakin' mindless. I KNEW Joe would bring up John Kerry. He is so predictable it's hilarious.

The difference is, you numbnut, John Kerry didn't hold up his wife as someone who helps him understand economic issues facing women.

You know if he had, Republicans would have been all over that, as they should be. And no one would be making a stink about it! It amazes me how they get away with so much stuff, but this is a perfect example of why they do. Democrats are completely lame, and kowtow to all of the Republicans' faux outrage, every. single. time. Meanwhile, Dems don't know how to raise hey like Republicans do.

Secondly, Joe mentioned that many people make the choice to live in a trailer, rather than in a regular house, so that the wife can stay home with their kids. Mkay. But there are many women who do not even have the choice. If they don't work, they and their kids don't survive.

Mika makes me absolutely sick to my stomach, though. Her random decision about when to do her mama bear, "I'm so outraged! I'm the fighter for women" thing, or when to cram her heel down the throat of a woman, are so arbitrary and lacking in any consistency.

The President & his team are completely pathetic for feeding into this nonsense. Their reaction are why Democrats are always viewed as weak, and why Republicans tend to win, even with totally joke candidates. Dems have no spine. I'm totally sickened with everything about politics right about now.

Didn't someone on Fox "joke" about hoping that Obama gets shot? That made a few internet headlines, but hardly made a blip on any major news network's radar. So why the hell is what this pundit said getting 24/7 coverage?

This bullshit is getting attention, while the fact that Romney with his MS having wife, wants to gut anything that would actually help people in similar positions. That is what Obama's team should have said in response to this.

Edited by QueenL, Apr 13, 2012 @ 5:35 AM.

shabbieshok

shabbieshok

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 6:50 AM

Amen to (almost all) your post QueenL. I agree with you that the Democrats are often spineless and don't fight back as they should but in this case, I can understand them wanting to distance themselves from a comment that might hurt them with women voters. What I didn't like was how they disparaged Hilary Rosen while doing said distancing. They didn't need to throw her under the bus while they were getting their official stance on the subject out there. Actually, President Obama's comment was right on in tone and content but of course that's not the quote that's getting any media time.

This may actually be the first time I ever have (or ever will) say anything nice about Joe but his argument about how Hilary's comment shouldn't be tied to Obama was right on and if the Republicans were going to scream and go crazy and demand apologies from him, then Romney should be held to the same standard and should be pilloried for West's idiotic comments about the Democrats being card carrying communists. Noonan and Steele really showed what imbeciles they were by acting all indignant about the idea and neither of them would say they saw anything wrong with what he said. I couldn't believe it. Well, I could, but it was really unbelievable, if you know what I mean.

And Noonan!!! Saying several times that the Democrats started this whole war on women a few weeks ago with their *simper*simper*tosshair*simper* silly statements *simper*simper*simper. That woman drives me absolutely nuts. And no one on the panel would pipe up and talk about the several hundred abortion and birth control and personhood bills the Republican state governments have passed and it's no bloody wonder women are so enraged about the Republicans. I did like the twitter answer to Noonan's stupid question that Joe read on the air - pithy and oh so true - about why do women vote for Democrats in greater numbers while men vote for Republicans. The answer? "Because women are smarter." (Except for Mika. She's a dumb as a block.)