Morning Joe

• Please log in to reply

13005 replies to this topic

oakville1969

oakville1969

Fanatic

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 5:54 PM

Thanks oakville1969!! You're in Ontario, am I correct? (As I'm sure I already said, I'm in Vancouver). Do you too get asked why you don't watch the CBC instead? I do...but I like msnbc :) The PVR is a lifesaver... Agreed, you can't sit and WATCH MJ all the way through, it would take way too long. I have to be doing something else at the same time.

Well, since you brought up Savannah Guthrie I have to say something in regards to MJ...I know you guys will understand! *sigh* I started watching The Daily Rundown after I'd already been watching Morning Joe for a year or so. After three hours of obnoxious fighting, Chuck and Savannah were like a breath of fresh air!! They always seemed so happy and eager, they were always smiling. They were radiantly egalitarian; they took turns speaking, they finished each others' sentences, they were always so harmonious... They always said "we", "us" and "our", they were clearly a team, and they appeared to GENUINELY like and respect each other!! They would joke and tease but they never put each other down. They were just so freakin' DIFFERENT than Joe and Mika. I like MJ for what it is, but Chuck and Savannah just seemed like such lovely people when they'd come on afterwards :) So...I was very sad when they broke them up when Savannah went to the Today show. I'm not a Today show fan but I wish her the best, of course!! ...still, I definitely missed her and Chuck being on after Joe and Mika!! (also: I'll never understand why they didn't get Norah O'Donnell to take Savannah's place...no wonder they lost her to CBS, she was so underused.)

Sorry for the rant... As for the rumor, I don't know. Savannah is awesome IMHO but she might seem kind of new to head such a long-running show...?

Yes, I live in Oakville Ontario. The CBC morning show is boring , but we do have City TV which does a good job with local news & weather.

Morning Joe has great guests & an ecletic panel. Norah O Donnell or Savannah Guthrie would make excellent foils for Joe but I think he doesn't want anyone to challenge his rants.

olvidado

olvidado

Fanatic

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 7:25 PM

Somewhat shocking news about the Today Show. Ann Curry may be fired soon and replaced with Savannah Guthrie!

Oakville,

I could have sworn I heard and saw Savannah being introduced as "NBC(?)News Director" earlier today. Anybody else see this??

shabbieshok

shabbieshok

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 6:11 AM

Proof once again how idiotic MJ and his crew are. They played the RNC ad of Gen Verelli at the Supreme Court which has been spliced and diced and manipulated to make it sound like he hemmed and hawed and took a few drinks of water and couldn't answer a question. When confronted, the RNC admitted it was a mash-up, and yet Joe played it as if it was an accurate depiction. What's even worse was that Lawrence O'Donnell and others didn't know that Joe was using blatantly false video. Gah!!!! http://www.bloomberg...-attack-ad.html

Edited by shabbieshok, Mar 30, 2012 @ 6:12 AM.

oakville1969

oakville1969

Fanatic

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 9:29 AM

I could have sworn I heard and saw Savannah being introduced as "NBC(?)News Director" earlier today. Anybody else see this??

No, I haven't seen any news of her being promoted.

Today's partial review

New NBC polls released show Obama ahead of Romney in Wisconsin 52-35, Florida 49-42, Ohio 47-41 & 45-42 Penn.

If this holds the election is over according to Eugene. However he & capeheart agree that the polls will tighten.

Joe called Romney a political cutter because of all the self inflicted wounds.

Eugene said if Obamacare is declared unconstitutional it will help the USA eventually get a single payer plan like other countries.

Richard Haas said it doesn't make sense for Romney to attack Russia & be tough with everybody.

Halperin said Romney has to pretend to be a good commander in chief.

It was a bit boring today, although they had someone talking a bout a movie with Bullies.

It's funny that MSNBC is airing anti obama ads Bankrupting america.org?

I want to know who ate the blueberry pie!

They made of fun of Mika for having a house in the South of France.

shabbieshok

shabbieshok

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 6:55 AM

Oh god. Perfect example of why MJ is an absolute disaster of a show. Zeke Emanuel is on - knowledgeable about the Affordable Care Act because, gee whiz, he was part of putting it together! So who do they have on to "debate" him? Senator Ron Johnson, tea partier supreme, to yell nothing but nonsense about how useless President Obama is and everything that's been said about the ACA is lies lies lies. He was yelling louder than Joe which is a feat in itself. I thought Zeke wanted to punch him. I know I sure did. Zeke didn't have an opportunity to reasonably and intelligently rebut all of Johnson's nonsense because Johnson just kept yelling louder and louder.

Such a contrast to what is actually a good show, Chris Haye's Up, who also had a couple of segments about the ACA and what it included. He had on a doctor from Massachusetts who is on the front lines and sees big changes in the way health care in hospitals is being radically changed (for the better) due to provisions of the ACA being enacted and the patients are benefiting. Another doctor in a charity hospital was also there and she also talked about the new improved systems of providing health care and how much more has to be done. It was all very civil, very informative, very interesting, and well worth listening to for an hour or so.

I'm so sick of Joe screaming that benefits have to be slashed to get Medicare costs under control and it was disappointing to hear Rattner largely agreeing with him. A few brave people have tried to explain to Joe that there is a different line of thought - that the health care system itself (not the insurance system) has to be radically changed and made much more efficient and those changes will bring the cost of health care down till it's more in line with what other nations in the rest of the world spend on their care (and who get better outcomes than the US) and this general reduction in costs for EVERYONE will automatically bring down the cost of Medicare and Medicaid while still protecting the benefits they provide. Of course that theory doesn't fall in line with Joe's good old blinkered Republican mania about slashing benefits to realize cost reduction. He's such a blathering ignoramus.

Eliot

Eliot

Stalker

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 3:59 PM

What in the world was Joe yammering about this morning? President Obama makes the very salient point that it's hypocritical for all the people who always complain about those darn "activist judges" to now be all in favor of the Supreme Court overturning the ACA, which, whether you want the law overturned or not, IS judicial activism. And Joe goes crazy, screaming about Marbury v Madison, Obama doesn't know anything about Constitutional law, blah blah blah.

Like his hero Ronald Reagan never complained about judicial activism?

HATE.

QueenL

QueenL

Fanatic

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 9:08 PM

What in the world was Joe yammering about this morning? President Obama makes the very salient point that it's hypocritical for all the people who always complain about those darn "activist judges" to now be all in favor of the Supreme Court overturning the ACA, which, whether you want the law overturned or not, IS judicial activism. And Joe goes crazy, screaming about Marbury v Madison, Obama doesn't know anything about Constitutional law, blah blah blah.

Like his hero Ronald Reagan never complained about judicial activism?

HATE.

He's so full of crap, especially since he was going on and on and ON about activist judges overturning Prop 8 in California. He literally wouldn't shut up about.

madfortv

madfortv

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 5:52 AM

I started to watch this morning but Joe started "yammering" on about President Obama and constitutional law, so I turned off the TV.

This show can deliver intelligent conversation with insightful comments on all the political parties, but too often it ends up with Joe making loud, bombastic proclamations. This looked like one of those days.

NancyEss

NancyEss

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 6:56 AM

Turned on MJ earlier-mistake. Joe was in super snarky yelly mode about oil companies, tax breaks, & gas prices. He wouldn't let Mika disagree. Wonder how much $$ Joe got from Big Oil during his congressional days.

Edited by NancyEss, Apr 4, 2012 @ 6:57 AM.

shabbieshok

shabbieshok

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 12:56 AM

Joe got royally pissed off this morning. I thought somebody was going to walk off the set. Sen Kelly Ayotte was on as a guest and both Tina Browne and Mika were asking her some very pointed questions. I was very surprised because they're usually all so obsequious towards any of the Republican politicians but Mika actually showed some gumption and Tina was very snarky. Needless to say, Joe was not happy and he had to take over the whole show with his irrational rantings, as usual, but it was nice to see for a minute that some proper questions were asked.

kingofpoppa

kingofpoppa

Fanatic

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 7:04 AM

Why did I think Jon Stewart mocking Joe on his show was funny but seeing it on MJ this morning reminds me how obnoxious Joe really is?

BlueSapphires

BlueSapphires

Fanatic

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 11:24 AM

Joe was pissed that Donnie and Mika actually dared to speak over him. And not really even OVER him... not even close to what Joe does to EVERYONE every single day. And then the little baby pouted and would not join in the conversation until after the commercial break. God, the tension was miserable. Poor Willie and Barnicle had to scramble to talk, and Mika acted like an abused wife - trying to lure Joe back into the conversation with a gentle, whispery tone. Then Joe tried to start another fight with Donnie about Augusta National and IBM. Joe shamed Donnie with, "You don't know what IBM needs. Oh, do you really?". Gah, what a douchebag. I was out after that. I don't like Donnie,but he has managed to keep his company very lucrative for a very long time. And really, why was his opinion snarked down like that? Oh yeah, because he talked over Joe (almost) earlier.

Hey Phil Griffin, how did you best bud do today?

Eliot

Eliot

Stalker

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 12:28 PM

Then Joe tried to start another fight with Donnie about Augusta National and IBM. Joe shamed Donnie with, "You don't know what IBM needs. Oh, do you really?". Gah, what a douchebag.

That was an utterly ludicrous exchange. Donnie was trying to make the very valid point that there are millions of places IBM can advertise to reach the same audience that views the Masters, and Joe kept screaming over him that he didn't know what he was talking about. So now Joe is a big expert on advertising and audience segmentation? Maybe he has the same types of secret sources in the advertising world that he appears to have in Congress, on Wall Street, and in the White House.

Edited by Eliot, Apr 5, 2012 @ 12:29 PM.

BlueSapphires

BlueSapphires

Fanatic

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 12:35 PM

But Joe watches Mad Men! He's an expert on the advertising business.

Yeah, Donnie did inherit everything from dad, but how has he kept himself so profitable for so many years on his own? The guy knows his business. And really, what was wrong with his jacket? I get it when they make fun of McKinnon's scarves, but a nice spring blazer? I thought he looked nice. Better than the black t-shirts they also mock. But it's OK for Joe to sit there in the same sweater everyday. Is that even a sweater? It looks like a black sweatshirt.

Edited by BlueSapphires, Apr 5, 2012 @ 12:43 PM.

QueenL

QueenL

Fanatic

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 5:25 AM

Joe is such a disingenuous douche. I love how he sets things up as "people going after a Cancer charity because they don't want to support abortion." As if that charity were just passive observers in the whole thing. Didn't they provide funding to Planned Parenthood for years, until a conservative, anti-abortionist, came on board as leader? So it was that charity declaring war on all of those people potentially afflicted with cancer, just to stick it to the left on abortion.

Joe acts like the left are just a bunch of radicals who started the whole shit in the first place.

He shows more and more how out of touch he is, when he doesn't realize just how many women provide on Planned Parenthood for basic services. Of course the Republicans in his life wouldn't understand this whole issue, because they're not the ones who rely on these services. I always think that Joe is talking about his wife when he talks about Republican females, by the way.

shabbieshok

shabbieshok

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 6:30 AM

All the men on the panel are totally oblivious and ignorant of why Obama and the Democrats have a 20% lead in women voters. It was so infuriating to listen to them. From Joe it's just expected he'll be an ignoramus in any discussion but the rest of them are just as thick. Bob Woodward said that Romney will trot out a few women CEO's this summer to boost the Republican image, as if that will do any good. They seem completely unaware of how the Republican state governments have rammed through an insane number of bills that are taking women and women's rights back to the dark ages and women are damned mad about it.

kingofpoppa

kingofpoppa

Fanatic

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 6:54 AM

Woodward is a respected journalist obviously, but I wouldn't care who was trotted out (Meg Whitman? oooo!).

applepie77

applepie77

Fanatic

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 7:32 AM

[font="Tahoma"]

But Joe watches Mad Men! He's an expert on the advertising business.

[/font]

I guess Joe is the ultimate Renaissance man -- what with his secret contacts within government, his music industry knowledge and now his marketing/business expertise. Too bad he's such a bombast

Eliot

Eliot

Stalker

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 9:38 AM

Bob Woodward said that Romney will trot out a few women CEO's this summer to boost the Republican image, as if that will do any good.

If the Democrats are smart, they'll trot out Jane Swift - Romney's Republican predecessor in Massachusetts. There's a very spinnable story there about how he and the old boy establishment here muscled her aside to secure the nomination.

Edited by Eliot, Apr 6, 2012 @ 9:41 AM.

oakville1969

oakville1969

Fanatic

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 10:00 AM

Today's review.

Joe was in Washington because Mika has a speaking engagement at a forum. Willie & Barnicle were in in NY.

They talked about Augusta & Andrea Mitchell said it would be a good idea to allow the new female CEO of IBM which sponsors the event to join the golf club.

Joe was happy that Ed Gillespie is joining the Romney campaign. He will bring dicipline to the campaign.

Mike Allen said that George Will thinks Romney may pick Paul Ryan as VP to excite the GOP base.

Another thought is he may pick Rob Portman Senator from Ohio.

Barnicle said there is still lots of anxiety on the economy.

Dr Z was on & said people remember foreign policy mistakes not success, so Obama cannot rest on the Osama Bin Laden success.

Dr Z said Jimmy carter was a successful foreign policy president except for the iranian isue with the hostages.

Joe said the same thing happened to Bush Sr with the victory of the cold war & victory in the Gulf War in Kuwait. No one cared by the election in 1992 about his foreign policy success.

The panel talked about Reince Preibus comparing the war on women to the war on caterpillars .

He shows more and more how out of touch he is, when he doesn't realize just how many women provide on Planned Parenthood for basic services. Of course the Republicans in his life wouldn't understand this whole issue, because they're not the ones who rely on these services. I always think that Joe is talking about his wife when he talks about Republican females, by the way

Very good point. Last month didn't Joe or the GOP talk about cheap contraception available from Planned Parenthood so as to rebut Sandra Fluke's complaint about the high cost of birth control pills?

Andrea Mitchell said Planned Parenthood helps provide treatment for poor women.

Joe said he knew a lot of GOP women who were upset with Planned Parenthood.

Does Joe have a call centre to handle all the contacts he has in industry, politics, entertainment etc?

Eliot

Eliot

Stalker

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 10:34 AM

Last month didn't Joe or the GOP talk about cheap contraception available from Planned Parenthood so as to rebut Sandra Fluke's complaint about the high cost of birth control pills?

Yes, they talked about it on the show when they had the pompous bishop on. I was screaming at my TV.

BlueSapphires

BlueSapphires

Fanatic

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 10:36 AM

The NYC resident/Red Sox fan has decided to go all southern good ole boy. Planned Parenthood is evil, and women, Jews, and blacks stay outta private clubs. Of course by next week I full expect a whole different person to show up.

HyeChaps

HyeChaps

Fanatic

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 11:22 AM

The first 45 minutes were great. . . then Mika showed up. I'm guessing she was staying with the parents & arrived with Dr. Z.
And Joe was sloppier than ever. Not even the usual fleece and it looked like he had Hawaiian shirt underneath.

kadooz

kadooz

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 11:33 AM

Did anyone beside me enjoy Chuck Todd telling Joe "You're not going to like this, but I am actually going to finish my thought" after Joe tried to loudly over-talk him about 20 times? If Joe's ego gets any more (self)inflated, he's going to be able to join the Macy's Thanksgiving parade.

Eliot

Eliot

Stalker

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 11:41 AM

If Joe's ego gets any more (self)inflated, he's going to be able to join the Macy's Thanksgiving parade.

Given how rapidly he's filling out that ratty fleece of his, he's a lock for next year!

oakville1969

oakville1969

Fanatic

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 12:01 PM

Did anyone beside me enjoy Chuck Todd telling Joe "You're not going to like this, but I am actually going to finish my thought" after Joe tried to loudly over-talk him about 20 times?

Very true. Joe should stop shouting at his guests.

Mark Halperin bravely admits that he disagrees with Joe on someone else's show. What a wimp.

http://newsbusters.o...-dont-agree-joe

I think Joe said the election is over & all his contacts have assured him that Romney will lose....

This is silly because anything can happen between now & November. I doubt Obama's campaign is going to take it easy because of Joe's latest prognostications.

Eliot

Eliot

Stalker

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 12:27 PM

Oh, this is rich:

From the linked article:

Halperin continued, "Or you can follow the advice of Bambi's mother: 'If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all.'"

Unless, apparently, you're calling the President of the United States a "dick."

WmDeKooning

WmDeKooning

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 5:45 PM

Can ANYBODY clear up why (?!) Donny Deutsch walked off the set while Deepak Chopra was talking about whatever it was he was talking about?

He was shouting something about "Saving himself" and "clenched buttcheeks(?)"

I ran the DVR back and I still didn't get it.

Edited by WmDeKooning, Apr 6, 2012 @ 5:47 PM.

oakville1969

oakville1969

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 9:21 AM

President Obama praises Mika!

http://newsbusters.o...alf-morning-joe

I pretty much guarantee this will be the first clip tomorrow!

Can ANYBODY clear up why (?!) Donny Deutsch walked off the set while Deepak Chopra was talking about whatever it was he was talking about?

He was shouting something about "Saving himself" and "clenched buttcheeks(?)"

I ran the DVR back and I still didn't get it.

I think it had something to do with Donny calling Mitty Romney a tight sphincter aka Tight Ass.
Donny then left the set.

Very classy move by Donny.#sarcasm.

I think Deepak said that Romney's body language showed that he was not comfortable in his own skin which is a point that Donny made earlier in the show & Joe laughed at him. Perhaps Donny was mad that Joe didn't laugh at Deepak Chopra when he said the same thing about Romney

HyeChaps

HyeChaps

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 5:50 AM

IMO Mika doing the moderating at that White House conference on women was a conflict. As much as it chokes me to say so, she is a "journalist", as opposed to an expert or a pundit.