Morning Joe

• Please log in to reply

12991 replies to this topic

Zzingerific

Zzingerific

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 18, 2007 @ 2:21 PM

It's been a while now, so what do people think of Morning Joe?

Joe himself is my least favorite part of the show. Mika is great. I love it when Willie Geist is there, either as a fill-in host or sidekick.

I hate how Joe treats the women on the show. If I were Jackie the meteorologist or Erin Burnett from CNBC I would quit. He is so patronizing. He is also awkward with the CNBC London people.

Joe strikes me as someone who is trying to act twenty years younger than he actually is. If the show was morning Willie, I would watch all the time.

Edited by TWoP Howard, Sep 17, 2012 @ 9:10 PM.

Samwil

Samwil

Fanatic

Posted Aug 18, 2007 @ 7:31 PM

I don't mind the show. I like the old "Imus" format.

Joe...I think he's jealous of the attention that Mika has been getting. I love Mika, and Willie. He's cute. I'm not crazy about that weather girl, but maybe she'll grow on me. I think the quizzes are dumb. Erin's great, I like her segments.

But, like you say, I also think Joe has trouble with the women on the show.

teddysmom

teddysmom

Fanatic

Posted Aug 20, 2007 @ 9:37 AM

The woman that was subbing for Mika was great this morning, I'm sure Joe will piss her off by end of show tomorrow.

What IS his deal? He is such an ass. TPTB cannot think this is working.

He was slightly more subdued his first day back from vacation, but he's back to his old assholy ways. Second guessing people, this morning he was actually defending Karl Rove "cos everyone has picked on him so much". F that

Willie Geist is MUCH better hosting, and you can tell Mika is happier when Joe isn't around.

HEY MSNBC! So are we! Can't we have a Morning Willie? hee

reinoe

reinoe

Fanatic

Posted Aug 22, 2007 @ 1:27 PM

I was watching this just this morining due to an all-nighter of laundry. Joe seems to come off as ametuerish. If he has a problem with that girl directing the show then he should just put himself in that position. It is HIS show isn't it?

gems03

gems03

Fanatic

Posted Aug 22, 2007 @ 2:17 PM

I've tuned in 6-8 times and can't warm up to the show. I like Mika and Willie too but there is something odd about Joe. I just can't stand his rambling chit chat about nothing, especially when it involves several different subjects. Nor do I care about his sense of humor and don't trust his opinions as they don't seem well thought out. For me, it's hard to think of his as a serious congressman.

I'll pass on this show.

timeoutofmind

timeoutofmind

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 22, 2007 @ 6:38 PM

It seems most everyone prefers Morningless Joe to Morning Joe, me included. I would be interested in seeing how the ratings change on the days when he's not there.

Wacoshade

Wacoshade

Fanatic

Posted Aug 23, 2007 @ 12:56 PM

I like him. When he's on a roll, he can get pretty even-keeled reporters into more passionate discussions, which I like, most of the time. Every once and a while I'll be all "Let them finish a damn sentence, Joe" but 9 out of 10 commentators pull that shit. He still seems pretty raw in this format, but I think he does a pretty good job.

horsefeathers

horsefeathers

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 29, 2007 @ 9:16 AM

What happened to Mika? She's not listed on MSNBC as a host or anchor anymore.

teddysmom

teddysmom

Fanatic

Posted Aug 29, 2007 @ 9:53 AM

What happened to Mika? She's not listed on MSNBC as a host or anchor anymore.

I was wondering the same thing. The new woman, Tamron, seems to be holding her own well. I like her, and I've like Anna Marie Cox this week.

When it's 2 women sitting across from Joe, he doesn't exhibit so much of the jerk behavior. I've actually been able to watch most of the shows this week, unless the guest was discussing something that bored me.

Samwil

Samwil

Fanatic

Posted Aug 29, 2007 @ 10:39 AM

Mika's not coming back??? I thought she was supposed to be back from her vacation next week!!! Not happy about this at all.

horsefeathers

horsefeathers

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 30, 2007 @ 10:45 PM

I even googled, and there's nothing about it. But yeah, she's not on the list of anchors, hosts, correspondents, commentators, etc. And the new woman, Tamron, is.

Biographies for MSNBC anchors and hosts:

Contessa Brewer
Christina Brown
Dara Brown
Tucker Carlson
Chris Jansing
Tamron Hall
Chris Matthews
Keith Olbermann
Amy Robach
Joe Scarborough
Alison Stewart
Alex Witt

Reporters, correspondents & commentators:

Willie Geist
Monica Novotny
Norah O’Donnell
David Shuster

source

Samwil

Samwil

Fanatic

Posted Aug 31, 2007 @ 9:14 AM

Wow. I'm disappointed. I really like Mika.

Paxton

Paxton

Fanatic

Posted Sep 4, 2007 @ 9:05 AM

Mika was on this morning. I have to say I'm not crazy about her; her modesty seems very false to me, and she never really seems to contribute anything to the show, that I can tell, anyway.

MommaJ

MommaJ

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 5, 2007 @ 6:06 AM

Okay, school's back in session, and I'm back to getting up at the ungodly hour of 6 am...and this show is just as wretched as it was at the beginning of the summer. Joes' still babbling incoherently; the guest roster is dismal. Sigh.

SuperNoxic

SuperNoxic

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 5, 2007 @ 11:49 PM

Ever since Mika came back to MSNBC, she's been freelancing with no contract, so there would have been no reason for her to be on that list above at the MSNBC site. TVNewser had more on it today.

Zzingerific

Zzingerific

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 6, 2007 @ 3:22 AM

Thanks for the link, SuperNoxic. I think Mika has been the only part of Morning Joe to get any attention (with the Paris Hilton burning), so it would be quite a blow if she left for GMA. If I was Mika, though, I'd probably be overjoyed to get away from Joe's hectoring. :)

I did like the substitute while Mika was gone (Tamara? Is that right?)

Now, I usually tune in to see if Willie is there; if he is, I stick around.

ETA: I start this topic, and now I'm at the top of page two. I swear I'm not a Joe groupie -- really I'm not!

Edited by Zzingerific, Sep 6, 2007 @ 3:25 AM.

reinoe

reinoe

Fanatic

Posted Sep 17, 2007 @ 11:00 AM

I tuned into the show this morning, and Morning Joe is actually getting worse. I don't know the name of the woman who was reading the news, but she's obviously annoyed with Joe's behaviour. I think Joe's really got a disconnect with what's going on.

Jennionthefarm

Jennionthefarm

Fanatic

Posted Sep 17, 2007 @ 1:51 PM

ITA. Joe is becoming more of an ass each day. Or more likely showing his true colors. The guests get lamer each week, and there are more and more commercials. I never thought so before, but Joe really comes off as a misogynist. [Note: this is why Mika doesn't like you, Joe.] This show sucks, but I can't stop watching. I've started flipping to CNN, though.

Also: Waaaaaaaaaaay too much about the Yankees and Red Sox. Blech. Imus was able to make guests interesting, even if I wasn't typically interested in their area of expertise/topic. But Joe is the opposite, he makes guests who should be interesting boring. I seriously wonder if some of the NBC reporters have refused to be on his show. Gregory, Mitchell, O'Donnell, Jim Miklazewski (I have no idea how to spell that) etc. used to be on Imus almost every day, and they rarely appear live on Morning Joe.

i am rick

i am rick

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 17, 2007 @ 11:02 PM

Woohoo! It's dogpile on Morning Joke again. I'm game.

Said Jennionthefarm

but Joe really comes off as a misogynist

I really hate to defend Joe during a dogpile, but on this I disagree. I don't like the Morning Joe show. I think that this time slot and this news show format is wrong for Joe. But I don't think that he is incapable of anchoring a better show in a different time slot. He has proven that. I don't dislike Joe as a person. I just don't like his morning zoo show. And I don't sense that Joe is misogynist, but he is a superiorist. Joe cannot ever allow a woman to be better than him at anything, ever. He seems to be insecure around capable, intellegent, independent, powerful women, and he immediately attempts to dominate them by petty put downs and juvenile teasing. It is disgusting to watch, and I cannot understand why the women on his show put up with it. He does the same thing with the men on his show, but it comes across more as locker room antics with the guys. None of these leg humping behaviors are exhibited with people that he tries to impress or suck up to, but if they are around him long enough they will fall prey.

How much longer will MSNBC keep this train wreck on in the mornings? I don't really care one way or another. Since Imus is gone I watch Sports Center while getting ready for work. How's that decision to fire Imus working out for you now, MSNBC? Idiots. Payback.

Strongkat

Strongkat

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 28, 2007 @ 10:40 AM

New poster here.

I guess I'm the dissenting opinion here because I like Morning Joe and have switched over to it for my morning news. I didn't expect to like it, as I usually don't like this kind of format, but I've been pleasantly surprised. I switched over from CNN's American Morning. John Anderson just gets my neck hair up. Such a tool.

I like Joe, I like Willie, but I'm not so sure I like Mika. I seem to be in the minority on that opinion too.

Just dropped by to say...

Paxton

Paxton

Fanatic

Posted Sep 28, 2007 @ 2:12 PM

I like Joe, I like Willie, but I'm not so sure I like Mika. I seem to be in the minority on that opinion too.

No, I feel the same way. Mika's the one who comes off to me as thinking she's superior to everyone, not Joe, and I think the show would be fine without her. I often disagree with Joe politically, but I think he's engaging enough that I don't take it personally.

Hyper Critical

Hyper Critical

Fanatic

Posted Oct 10, 2007 @ 11:05 AM

We've completely switched to Morning Joe unless there is something compelling and well advertised on one of the other morning shows and then we switch right back after whatever the one thing we wanted to catch airs.

I love Mika, tolerate Joe (sometimes I appreciate him sometimes I still get as annoyed as ever at him) and my hubby lurves Willie. I think they are a great combination.

I came over to post about Trump this morning because of his standard misogynistic rant against Rosie that has become so old and tired, this on top of the giggling the other day about Walter's use of the word *do*... I have to say I agree with this:

but Joe really comes off as a misogynist

but he is a superiorist. Joe cannot ever allow a woman to be better than him at anything, ever. He seems to be insecure around capable, intellegent, independent, powerful women, and he immediately attempts to dominate them by petty put downs and juvenile teasing. It is disgusting to watch, and I cannot understand why the women on his show put up with it

Mika was disgusted with Trump, Joe and Willie this morning.

Rickster

Rickster

Fanatic

Posted Oct 11, 2007 @ 9:07 AM

I sort of like the show, especially Mika, but I think it smacks of desperation that they have to sit around reading stories out of newspapers to fill the time. Mostly I miss the guests Imus used to get. Even the NBC correspondents seem to stay away. David Gregory shows up about once a month.

Edited by Rickster, Oct 11, 2007 @ 1:06 PM.

Paxton

Paxton

Fanatic

Posted Oct 11, 2007 @ 12:37 PM

It would have been nice if Mika had stuck up for her principles a little better in the Lynne Cheney interview--what those principles are, I don't know, but she seemed put out. She softballed the one question she did ask, but implied afterwards that Joe wasn't letting her ask questions. Maybe he didn't let her ask as many as she wanted, but when she had her chance, why didn't she ask Cheney something like wasn't it hypocritical of her to say Jimmy Carter only said what he did about her husband because he likes to get in the news when he has a book out, when she herself is promoting a book right now and that's the reason she's on the show? Not exactly the same thing, but let Cheney answer it. Or why not ask her about her claim that America hasn't been attacked in six years, and how she factors in the casualties in Iraq. Cheney's a smart woman (who I can't stand), I'm sure she'd be able to answer that some way, but again, make her explain herself.

Edited by Paxton, Oct 11, 2007 @ 12:44 PM.

Strongkat

Strongkat

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 11, 2007 @ 5:37 PM

Agree Paxton. Mika does seem to have her very own agenda and the looks she gives Joe are looks that could kill most of the time which leads me to believe that she doesn't agree with him on many topics. Of course, Joe is Republican and has a strong slant in that direction, Mika presents herself as a liberal and Willie is kind of Switzerland. Maybe they have agreed on this set up which is a good set up for the dynamic to work. I don't always agree with Joe and that can be hard on me when watching the morning news, but he is at least able, some days, to not be too biased which I appreciate. I find that I am most interested in Willie's opinion, whatever that might mean, in today's political world.

Edited by Strongkat, Oct 11, 2007 @ 5:39 PM.

Hyper Critical

Hyper Critical

Fanatic

Posted Oct 11, 2007 @ 6:42 PM

I wonder how much Mika's parentage affects what she feels comfortable challenging... Maybe she was uncomfortable challenging Cheney too much given the topic/criticism of Carter taking on Darth Vadar - just a thought.

Lirwin

Lirwin

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 13, 2007 @ 3:33 PM

Adding my two cents: When Imus went off the air, I never thought I would enjoy MSNBC in the morning again. However, I absolutely love Joe, Willie, and Erin Burnett (I find myself following the stock market!). On the other hand, I hate Mika with a passion. When she laughs in her high-pitched squeaky laugh, I want to jab an ice pick in my ear. Hate.her.

wish liszt

wish liszt

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 15, 2007 @ 7:18 AM

Willie is filling in for Joe today, with David Shuster sitting in Willie's seat.

I just love David Shuster to pieces. Does that boy ever sleep? It seems like he's everywhere, all the time! I can't decide whether I would rather him host his own show or continue his reporting. I wish it was possible for him to do both at once because he is so, so good at all of it.

And maybe it's just me projecting, but Mika seems a little more relaxed and comfortable today than I've seen her lately. Because Joe's not there? I don't know, but she is this show's saving grace when he is there so I say yay! for a smiley Mika.

Strongkat

Strongkat

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 24, 2007 @ 6:54 PM

Why does Joe think he has to explain, with his twist on it, everything his guest says after they get off. Does he think we don't get it? I don't need him to tell me that so and so is speaking to the Republican base or such and such is speaking to the Democratic base. I got it when the guest told me. It's really getting annoying.

Mika, I'm starting to come around. It just took me a while. She looks like she'd like to speak her mind and some mornings she does. I seem to find lately that I'm glad when she does.

Still loving Willie though.

EagerContrarian

EagerContrarian

Fanatic

Posted Oct 30, 2007 @ 5:06 AM

Any chance this morning that Joe isn't going to crib half of his teases from the headlines of HuffPo? Yesterday was terrible - wonder what will happen if we get a writer's strike?