2-11: "Take Me As I Am" 2007.08.19 (recap)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

668 replies to this topic

TWoP Sun

TWoP Sun

Fanatic

Posted Aug 18, 2007 @ 12:38 PM

Remember! Big Love is back to Sunday nights!

From Zap2it.com:

Bill makes Alby a tempting offer; Barb wants to make peace with her estranged family; Scott tests the limits of his relationship with Sarah

lanter

lanter

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 19, 2007 @ 9:01 PM

Just when I thought that Ben could not get any more creepy he goes and proves me wrong.

“I wouldn’t have thrown your family away if it were my choice”. Goddam he is insufferable. I wanted to cheer when Sara let Bill know that his opinion doesn’t mean shit to her.

I wish that Scott was not made into a jerk and yet he is nowhere near being the most objectionable man on the show.

Margene has really started to work my nerves. Her petulant child act is not cute. I still have much love for Nicki’s crazy thieving ass. As for Barb, I can’t believe that she still hasn’t clued into the fact that she is “one of three”. That’s quite a wall of denial that Barb’s built up for herself.

I’ll admit that the snakes made me jump. Next to Alby, Roman seems like a kindly grandpa. I like that Alby has progressed from neutered errand boy to a real force of evil with actual power.

Love, loved, loved Ellen Burstyn. I hope that she will be back.

SassandtheCity

SassandtheCity

Fanatic

This is not going to end well for anybody involved, that's all about what I can say at the moment.

meredithand

meredithand

Video Archivist

I continue to be pleased with Margene discovering her voice. If she's going to be an equal fourth of this marriage, she needs to articulate her thoughts. I like seeing her as a public wife, and a good choice for Bill to put her out there with the gambling people. In the grand scheme of things her whining about the ruined dinner seems immature. But placed in the greater context of how she's been treated in this marriage, I really can't blame her for feeling that way. And, ouch, at the baby factory for Barb remark.

I'm so sad for Joey. He just wanted a simple life and everything keeps getting in the way. And what was up with Wanda and her little freak-out? First she was going to poison the bundt cake and then she started screaming that Frank was going to get Kathy. Ties back to the party last week when Joey was talking about having two wives and you could see Wanda clawing at her collar. I don't think she's really on board with this plan either. Of course there is hopefully a way to say "I changed my mind" without killing an innocent woman.

I almost cheered when Sarah told Bill she would never respect his advice on relationships. It's a shame to see Ben going in the complete opposite direction. How can Bill not see the difference between "The Principle" and teenaged hormones?

I can't feel sorry for Barb. I actually hate her for opposite reasons. I hate that she came crawling back to her family when she finally realized what impact her choices are having on her children. And I hate that she thought she could send Ben away without talking to Bill.

Hey Teeny lives!

Edited by meredithand, Aug 19, 2007 @ 9:03 PM.

Ethereal Zoe

Ethereal Zoe

Fanatic

Posted Aug 19, 2007 @ 9:03 PM

I can't describe that episode as anything other than heartbreaking. A few things I'd like to comment on:

Ellen Burstyn truly is excellent casting as Barb's mom. The resemblance, I think, is uncanny. It's plain to see she loves her daughter, but I can't believe that she can just shut her daughter out like that in the way that she does. It's so clear Barb needs her.

Also Barb's mom's "Look at your beautiful Sarah and Ben" line? Poor Teeny is forgotten again. Get that kid some therapy, stat.

Bill's conversation with Nicki about doing things "new ways" really scares the hell out of me for the family because he doesn't seem to care about his religion or the Principle anymore. I don't have a firm opinion on whether or not he ever did care about the Principle, but it seems more than obvious that when Bill says that there are "new ways" of doing things, he really means his way.

How sad was it to watch Sarah want someone so badly that she would agree to share him? I say that not out of a judgment on FLDS but because she's so clearly not doing it out of having a testimony to do so, but out of a fear of losing the one person she feels a romantic love for. Quite possibly, the same reason that her mother accepted Bill's marrying Nicki. Just heartbreaking to watch.

Finally, Sarah tells her Dad how she feels. It was also nice to hear Bill finally talk about what he wanted for Sarah's life, if only via Scott. You know, Scott is in a weird position too, although at his age he should know better. It's not an unreasonable thing for him to want a sexual relationship or to not want an exclusive one. However, he should know that dating a girl of Sarah's age and inexperience would require a certain understanding - - namely that he would have to go at a slower pace than he may like. I'm just glad she didn't sleep with him. Yet.

Does Nicki not lock her doors or is Alby just an extremely good locksmith?

Speaking of Nicki and Margene, how could they have chosen that moment at Barb's mom's wedding to confront Barb. I know they may be tired of coming in second and third, but they could have chosen another time. A time that wouldn't purposely hurt Barb. Nicki always disgusted me but Margene has gotten twice as disgusting to me in half the time. I secretly cheered when Bill put Barb ahead of them on this one, even to the point of going home with her.

I realized during tonight's episode that I am watching this show to see the downfall of this family as much as anything else. I don't want it to happen, but with Bill's actions being what they are, it seems inevitable. The writers really seem to be setting up all the reasons why each wife would leave Bill, as well as all the reasons the kids will end up completely incapable of real intimacy and trust.

Regarding next week, I am so freaking thrilled. Six words: Roman's awake and he is pissed. Yay!

Edited by Ethereal Zoe, Aug 19, 2007 @ 9:05 PM.

DJKiwi

DJKiwi

Channel Surfer

• Interests:Music, Movies, Books, Sports, Writing, Shopping

Posted Aug 19, 2007 @ 9:04 PM

I feel terrible for Bill's original family. This includes Barb and the kids as well as his mother and brother. The entire family is reaping based on Bill's actions alone. With that said, this was a mellow episode but full of bits of information that will come together next week. I am officially on the Margene hate train. I have to put her up there with Barb's sister Cindy.

Contralto

Contralto

Fanatic

Posted Aug 19, 2007 @ 9:04 PM

C’mon, does Alby really believe that Bill could have persuaded the Greene women? I think he knows better.

Can you really be unsealed from someone who’s not around to consent?

Even if it's a pain sometimes, shouldn't they have the security system back on?

ksal

ksal

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 19, 2007 @ 9:05 PM

Sarah breaks my heart. But I loved when she told Bill he had no credibility.

Not sure how exactly Barb thought she'd pull off shipping Ben off with his grandma, telling Bill or not.

I think they are all getting what they deserve for deceiving each other.

jennifda

jennifda

Couch Potato

I wanted to cheer when Sara let Bill know that his opinion doesn’t mean shit to her.

I did cheer. That was just so very satisfying. I hated how he did not respond to it at all but asked her to wave at Barb and essentially pretend everything is fine. GRR. HATE Margie with the fire of...well, you know the rest.

I liked Nicki's talk with Sara. It held to their beliefs, but also felt like she was actually hearing Sara, too. I was a bit torn by her telling Bill. Yes, it is his child, but telling him not to tell Barb kind of negates that.

Edited by jennifda, Aug 19, 2007 @ 9:08 PM.

Lila82

Lila82

Fanatic

Alby is rivaling "Lost's" Ben for most terrifying villain ever. It's that eerie calm. He never gets upset. His poker face never falls. His voice never rises. The calm ones are always the most frightening.

I'm struggling so hard to understand what Margene sees in Bill. Isn't it time to be over the daddy issues and let go?

Nicki's boys with their yellow bathroom gloves was an excellent touch.

Edited by Lila82, Aug 19, 2007 @ 9:07 PM.

Vertebrat

Vertebrat

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 19, 2007 @ 9:06 PM

So many awesome little moments tonight. Wanda almost sprinkling Comet in with the powdered sugar, Alby gotch-ing Lois's nose (I shrieked), Nicki's kids picking up where she left off scrubbing the toilet, Bill telling his obnoxious niece to shut up and another classic Hollis Green sign-off. What an amazing episode, I can't believe next week is the season finale, boo!

MargeGunderson

MargeGunderson

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 19, 2007 @ 9:07 PM

I don't know why Barb was so freaked out by snakes in her bed. You would think she'd be used to it having slept with Bill all these years.

DJKiwi

DJKiwi

Channel Surfer

• Interests:Music, Movies, Books, Sports, Writing, Shopping

Posted Aug 19, 2007 @ 9:08 PM

I’ll admit that the snakes made me jump.

I screamed out loud.

DakotaJustice

DakotaJustice

Couch Potato

I don't think anyone is equal in this marriage - Bill would have purchased Weber and already had done so no matter what the wives said.

I think that if the marriage was a pie, Bill would have AT LEAST half, and the three wives would have to share the other half. Actually, it's more like 60-75% Bill, and 25-40% shared between the three women. Bleagh. And he tries to make it sound like they're equal. what a pig!

Margene was being a petulant brat. Again.

What would Comet have done as far as poisioning someone - just give them the runs or really kill 'em? And wouldn't someone taste it right off - you don't use a ton of powdered sugar on a bundt cake.

What was this - Teeny's second appearence this season?

I'm already anticipating the next ep. Nicki will have some time to really THINK and consider just how much responsibility Bill has for her dad's shooting. He didn't pull the trigger, but I doubt it would have occurred without his egging each side on, playing each side, I'm sure he thinks he was being very cagey...however it appears that the Greenes and Alby are at least on speaking terms, so I'm sure that Alby/Roman will find out that BILL was the one feeding the Greenes information regarding Roman's properties and so on. ummmmmmhmmmm.

sbkasha

sbkasha

Video Archivist

It's all coming to a head now, isn't it? Whew!

First off, I have to say that even though I knew the snakes were in the bed, Barb's reaction to them helped me freak the f*ck out!

Sarah's heartbreak was palpable. I got a little teary when she was talking to Nicki. Nicki is one awesome manipulator though- and a good teacher. She told Sarah to keep chaste but to let Scott know what he was missing. Sarah then gave him a big kiss, let him touch her breasts and then pulled away.

I loved it when Sarah told Bill that he has no credibility. Ha!

I also cried when Barb was hugging her mom at the end. Barb's sister continues to be a bitch.

Wanda was thisclose to poisoning Kathy with the Comet. Her reactions when Joey came running in saying that Alby was coming were so over the top. How did Joey and Kathy not notice?

box o nuts

box o nuts

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 19, 2007 @ 9:09 PM

Wow. I keep getting to the end of Big Love episodes and thinking it must have been a two hour special, so much happened. Quick first response:

1. SO GLAD Sarah didn't sleep with Scott . At least someone in this family makes good decisions (and I desperately hope that's not her sleeping with him in the preview for next week). And I was happy to hear her speak the truth to her father, who actually seemed to listen for a second.

2. Ben's almost as much of a jerk as his father. Who actually showed a surprising amount of sense in this episode actually, at least concerning Barb and his children.

3. Dear Margene, EVERYTHING IS NOT ABOUT YOU!!! Sometimes, every once in a very long while, people do things for their OWN reasons and not to spite you and/or thwart you. Interpreting Barb's general disinterest and lack of respect for you as her being obsessed with you is a bit selfobsessed, don't you think? (and I actually like Margene, most of the time. These last two eps tho...)

4. I do wish Wanda could get some help on a regular basis. And poor Kathy! I hope Frank didn't get her.

5. Heck yeah to Barb not letting her sister boss her around. If there's anyone on this show more obnoxious than bill...

Overall, what an episode! I can't wait for the finale.

ETA: Sincerely Yours, box o nuts.

Edited by box o nuts, Aug 19, 2007 @ 9:18 PM.

DakotaJustice

DakotaJustice

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 19, 2007 @ 9:09 PM

I don't know why Barb was so freaked out by snakes in her bed. You would think she'd be used to it having slept with Bill all these years.

LOL and I love your user name!!! Too funny!!!

brillia79

brillia79

Fanatic

Posted Aug 19, 2007 @ 9:10 PM

What would Comet have done as far as poisioning someone - just give them the runs or really kill 'em? And wouldn't someone taste it right off - you don't use a ton of powdered sugar on a bundt cake.

Comet is powdered bleach. Pretty fatal. Wanda always uses the good stuff, never the weak mess. I'm scared for Kathy though, because I actually like her.

3. Dear Margene, EVERYTHING IS NOT ABOUT YOU!!! Sometimes, every once in a very long while, people do things for their OWN reasons and not to spite you and/or thwart you. Interpreting Barb's general disinterest and lack of respect for you as her being obsessed with you is a bit selfobsessed, don't you think? (and I actually like Margene, most of the time. These last two eps tho...)

Honestly, there's no doubt in my mind now that Barb did not sabotage Margene's "honeymoon." But rather than get mad at Bill for choices he makes (coming home for a sick hospitalized child or supporting his wife trying to reconcile with her mother - without asking for Bill's input), it's all Barbs fault and she's trying to spite Margene. I wish she'd shut up, or Wanda would pay her a visit.

Edited by brillia79, Aug 19, 2007 @ 9:13 PM.

meredithand

meredithand

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 19, 2007 @ 9:12 PM

Nothing to see here, Comet information found in the post above.

Edited by meredithand, Aug 19, 2007 @ 9:14 PM.

Vertebrat

Vertebrat

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 19, 2007 @ 9:12 PM

I'm scared for Kathy though, because I actually like her.

If I had to choose between eating Comet and being married off to Frank, pass the Comet, please!

jennifda

jennifda

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 19, 2007 @ 9:14 PM

Her reactions when Joey came running in saying that Alby was coming were so over the top. How did Joey and Kathy not notice?

Well, she is Wanda, after all. I am sure she has acted out around them before. They noticed, but just didn't have time to deal with it. Not a psychoanalyst, but I think there is more to the crazy than just pulling at your collar once a week.

Princess Louie

Princess Louie

Fanatic

Posted Aug 19, 2007 @ 9:14 PM

The only people I like on this show are Sarah, Teeny, Joey and Scott. Yes, I like Scott. He's not being unreasonable for a man his age and with his beliefs. Of course I hate to see Sarah hurt but Scott could have been written much, much worse.

Oh, and I like Aaron and Lester. Especially baby Lester. He's adorable.

I'm glad Margene's lie about being a surrogate mother has come home to roost. Of course let's see what she does when the baby is born. Who knows, though, the way Bill is going, they may need that $50,000 Pam is promising to pay. Watch out Margene - I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Bill sold utero baby out from under its mother.

And yet, in a weird way, I respect Margene. She's insisting that the Henricksons be who they say they are - a polygynist family. Why, indeed, should she and Nicki live in the shadows? Why should Barb be the public wife? Of course, the only way that can work is on a compound such as JC, but Margene, although naive and immature, is still on to something.

How quickly Bill was exposed. And Hollis Greene and Alby Grant are a scary combination - as we saw at the end. I admit it, I screamed. I am so afraid of snakes.

Meanwhile, I thought Ellen Burstyn was terrifiic as Barb's mother. Would love to know more about what kind of father Barb grew up with. Hate Cindy - obviously Cindy has benefited from the rift between Barb and her mother, and doesn't really want to see it healed.

Oh, and I was surprised that Wanda is jealous of Kathy and almost poisoned her. I really did think that Wanda was suicidal last week - but now we know otherwise.

This ep will definitely require re-watching.

sarpon

sarpon

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 19, 2007 @ 9:17 PM

Snakes on a motherfucking counterpane!

I really teared up when Barb told her mother how much she wanted to be with her in this life. Poor Barb. And some please buy Margene clue -- it isn't that the Weber gaming people are "real," they are just what she's familiar with: low class trash.

Margie is just annoying me now. She can't think through to the logical end of what comes out of her own mouth. She's Barb's baby factory? Huh? Aren't those her own children she gave birth to? And she decided to cast herself as a surrogate mother to Pam? OK, but don't surrogates give up the baby at the and of the pregnancy? What's she going to do then?

Ethereal Zoe

Ethereal Zoe

Fanatic

Posted Aug 19, 2007 @ 9:18 PM

Not a psychoanalyst, but I think there is more to the crazy than just pulling at your collar once a week.

Tonight was the first episode that made me think Wanda's faking a little with the crazy stuff. As soon as Joey said that Alby was coming for Kathy and not Wanda, Wanda got this extremely annoyed look on her face. Only then did she start in with the "Ooh, he's gonna get you Kathy" crap.

I'm not saying Wanda's not off, but I think she likes attention a lot too. Whether her goal is Joey's attention or everyone's, who knows? But she didn't like not being the center of the hubbub one little bit.

brillia79

brillia79

Fanatic

Posted Aug 19, 2007 @ 9:19 PM

If I had to choose between eating Comet and being married off to Frank, pass the Comet, please!

You make a good point. Perhaps bleach isn't so bad after all.

I'll co-sign with the idea that Scott was not written as a bad guy this episode. He was honest and actually made a responsible decision that would hurt the least. I still feel for Sarah, but lvoed her laying down the law to Bill regarding relationships and credibility. I only wish she had mentioned specifically that Bill failed to see what was special about Barb, Sarah, ben and Teeny - but Barb's mother covered that.

I never thought that Wanda was suicidal last week because I really think she'd be long gone by now if she dealt with misery and fear by internalizing it. She seems to prefer homicide. Joey had better watch out. If not for Kathy and the baby, then for himself.

Edited by brillia79, Aug 19, 2007 @ 9:22 PM.

jennifda

jennifda

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 19, 2007 @ 9:21 PM

They've really made Margie a screechy idiot these last few episodes. She had been pretty likeable prior to, but in this episode it was hard not to dislike her. She may have valid points (such as Bill should not have left her in the car for an hour), but she is just behaving so snotty, it is hard to feel she is justified. I was sitting with my fingers crossed that Barb and Nicki would leave. Her comment to Barb that she should come to the dinner Margie and Bill had agreed to go to was just flat out goading her. Barb may be smug, but she doesn't actively try to cause hurt in her sister wives.

I'm not saying Wanda's not off, but I think she likes attention a lot too. Whether her goal is Joey's attention or everyone's, who knows? But she didn't like not being the center of the hubbub one little bit.

Good point. We've been told by Joey that Wanda has only attacked those who tried to hurt Joey. Could be that she was going after anyone who tried to distract Joey from her.

Edited by jennifda, Aug 19, 2007 @ 9:24 PM.

jhawksgirl

jhawksgirl

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 19, 2007 @ 9:22 PM

I wanted to smack Bill when he told Sarah to smile like everything was okay for her mother. ::::evil:::: I officially do not like Bill anymore.

box o nuts

box o nuts

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 19, 2007 @ 9:23 PM

I'll co-sign with the idea that Scott was not written as a bad guy this episode. He was honest and actually made a responsible decision that would hurt the least.

I agree. While I don't think he came off as a saint (and honestly, that act was getting old), he was being realistic. That would be...you know, a big pain in the ass! And, granted, a good reason not to date a high school girl (especially since technically Sarah is 17 and therefore, illegal (I think? Didn't we decide that a few episode threads ago?)), and he could have been more upfront about it, but as long as he refrains from actually using this as pressure to sleep with him, I'm willing to let it go. Which is kind of amusing to me, as I was always on the Scott-is-skeezy bandwagon.

SassandtheCity

SassandtheCity

Fanatic

Posted Aug 19, 2007 @ 9:23 PM

I think Margene as well as Barb's problem is that they constantly go at each other when really they should team up and kick Bill's ass.

CheshrKat

CheshrKat

Fanatic

Posted Aug 19, 2007 @ 9:26 PM

This episode was fantastic - this has been a season of lies, and all of them are being uncovered.

I'm not surprised about Wanda - girl is flat out crazy. I'm not sure who the poison was for, though - it's not likely that only Kathy would be eating the Bundt cake, so Wanda could have been intending to poison all three of them. Even though she seemed supportive of the relationship with Kathy earlier in the season... well, girl is flat out crazy. And maybe she didn't realize how much it would bother her seeing Joey with another woman, after all those years he resisted it because he insisted he wanted only her.

The show's casting deserves multiple kudos on ALL of the mothers they've cast these past two years - Grace Zabriskie, Mary Kay Place, Bonnie Bedelia and now Ellen Burstyn.

I don't know why, but I have a soft spot for Barb, and still feel for her more than any of the others. She stays with Bill because she still really loves him, but she is increasingly unhappy with her life. She doesn't want this for her children, but can't figure out how to communicate with them. I thought Margene was a spoiled brat last week, but this week she came off to me as flat out bitch, insinuating that she was a surrogate mother for Barb. Like the whole surrogacy lie to Pam wasn't a stupid one to begin with - perhaps people would treat her opinions with more respect if she weren't so dumb.

Most heartbreaking moment tonight? Sarah telling Scott she was willing to "share". Scariest moment? Alby and his "got your nose" with Lois - that frightened me far more than the snakes in the bed. He's truly creepy. Most satisfying moment? Sarah telling Bill that he's got absolutely zero credibility with her. That was a thing of beauty.