Sincerely Yours, Hollis Green

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

8 replies to this topic

Fat Elvis

Fat Elvis

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 12, 2007 @ 7:26 PM

BIG LOVE's offered a few takes on the polygamous patriarch. Bill is the (relatively) benign model, hiding his clan in the open of the suburbs, allowing his wives a (relatively) large amount of discretion and power. Roman's the corrupt, absolute master of a small town, which he intentionally keeps dirt poor, playing the part of victim to religious persecution at the same time he's running "reeducation camps" and arranging child brides. And Hollis Green is the nightmare, the wild man in the wilderness, stocking up automatic weapons, branding people who won't do business with him, sending crazed starved women out to assassinate his enemies, waiting for the "ascendancy" of himself and his brother?/sister?/wife? Selma as God's chosen.

Sarah said she didn't see much difference between Bill's households and the Juniper Creek compound. Don asked, if Roman, Hollis, and Bill are the only ones going after Weber gaming, what does it say about Bill? And in Albie's crazed eyes, isn't it possible to catch a glimpse of a Hollis Green in the offing?

In any event, opening this thread to encourage discussion of Hollis Green, Selma Green, and their followers. Could be the first spinoff in HBO history.

Scrapper

Scrapper

Fanatic

Posted Aug 12, 2007 @ 9:26 PM

I can't wait till Hollis comes back in the season finale (Not a spoiler. TV fact. Ha) To quote the recap, "Nice job ATF"

SD Dude

SD Dude

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 13, 2007 @ 6:50 PM

And in Albie's crazed eyes, isn't it possible to catch a glimpse of a Hollis Green in the offing?

Selma Green, more likely.

Fat Elvis

Fat Elvis

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 19, 2007 @ 11:14 PM

I can tell from the videophone that Hollis has some serious inhouse tech support -- or does Geek Squad make calls to the Mexican outposts of apocolyptic Mormon cults?

Somehow not at all surprised that Alby is comfortable with cam2cam.

Edited by Fat Elvis, Aug 19, 2007 @ 11:15 PM.

Contralto

Contralto

Fanatic

Posted Aug 19, 2007 @ 11:16 PM

Maybe Greene's not all that far away.

Edited by Contralto, Aug 19, 2007 @ 11:16 PM.

Scrapper

Scrapper

Fanatic

Posted Aug 20, 2007 @ 10:09 AM

Geek Squad is some excellent tech support. I'm glad to see Hollis again.

elfaygobaca

elfaygobaca

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 22, 2007 @ 12:05 AM

F-ing LOVE this crazy ass family...or gang...or whatever they are. I want to know what TPTB were smoking when they write his lines. "Sincerely yours", indeed! I want to kiss the hand of whoever wrote that.
I also can't wait to see him and Albie in action together. Arma-freakin-geddon right there. I would love to see a Thunderdome with those two. Can't you see Roman done up as Tina Turner? "Two crazy prophet/killer/all around creepy freaks enter, one crazy prophet/killer/all around creepy freak leaves." Or as Master Blaster, being carried around on Adaleen's shoulders? Damn, I oughta write for the show.
I love him the best of all. And Selma. God, wouldn't it be great to follow Hollis around for a day and just listen to him talk? And see what sort of shit he's up to. I picture some on-line shopping, some Perez Hilton, maybe some Bejeweled. Yeah, spin-off, please! We need more.

Scrapper

Scrapper

Fanatic

Posted Aug 27, 2007 @ 7:04 PM

Were was Hollis last night? O Big Love you broke the Season Finale rule! o well they better be back next season. And Selma better be April's mother!

EPThompson

EPThompson

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 20, 2008 @ 7:13 PM

On the whole I think the movement comes off as a bit too extreme for dramatic use. Basically, they're so violent and unrestrained that it's hard for them to interact without being a direct lethal threat, so I don't see too many situations where they could really be around long.

I do love their habitual ending phone calls like they're formal letters. That's a good way of showing just how antiquated and disconnected from modern life they are. Plus, they form some of the most amusing lines of the season.