The Weeds Music Thread: "Little Boxes On the Hillside..."

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

111 replies to this topic

leuvenator

leuvenator

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 1, 2007 @ 4:19 PM

I noticed a bit of discussion further up in the thread about the song playing when Nancy left Peter's house in the S2 premiere. The song is (aptly) titled "Fuck Was I," and is performed by the transcendant Jenny Owen Youngs. JOY gained lots of notoriety for her vocal appearance on Weeds but has gained even more for her kick-ass cover of Nelly's "Hot in Herre."

In a bit of bizarre Weeds musical incest, Jenny went to college with Regina Spektor and they remain close friends (a voicemail message that Regina left for Jenny during Jenny's freshman year of college is included in Jenny's song "Voice on Tape").

Check her out. You won't be sorry.

chalkitdown

chalkitdown

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 6, 2007 @ 9:39 AM

Anyone know the name of the song at the end of last nights episode? The one playing over Shane losing his mind? It sounded reallly good.

They seem to have gotten really slack with updating the music on the official site. Most songs played in the episodes aren't listed there anymore(The 'Page France' number at the end of last weeks episode for instance).

joysan

joysan

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 6, 2007 @ 11:37 AM

Does anyone know the title and artist to the song playing while Celia smashes slimey guy's office in episode 13?

{snip}

Edited by TWoP Mars, Nov 7, 2007 @ 1:26 AM.
Signed post

darwin

darwin

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 6, 2007 @ 2:23 PM

Anyone know the name of the song at the end of last nights episode? The one playing over Shane losing his mind? It sounded reallly good.

'After the Curtain' by Beirut. The album, Gulag Orkestar, is very good.

ETA: I could be wrong, I can't remember exactly which song they played and those two are somewhat similar. I always listen to that album straight through, so they tend to blend in my head.

ETA: Ack! Sorry for the wrong info. I guess I shouldn't have posted without checking the episode a second time.

Edited by darwin, Nov 7, 2007 @ 3:37 AM.

chalkitdown

chalkitdown

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 6, 2007 @ 6:20 PM

Are you sure? Some fella at TV.com just told me it was called 'Scenic World', also by beirut.

Anyhow, I'll download the album and find out for myself now that I know the name of the band.

[edit]
Just downloaded it.

Is was Scenic World. Nice song. Really short, though. I must give the album a proper listen to, now.

Edited by chalkitdown, Nov 6, 2007 @ 6:21 PM.

jencad

jencad

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 7, 2007 @ 3:17 PM

Who sang the theme song this week?

chalkitdown

chalkitdown

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 8, 2007 @ 11:49 AM

Who sang the theme song this week?

Laurie Berkner Band

camden

camden

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 9, 2007 @ 12:13 PM

Does anyone know the title and artist to the song playing while Celia smashes slimey guy's office in episode 13?

"you broke my heart" by Lavender Diamond

publicdefender

publicdefender

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 19, 2007 @ 11:27 PM

Does anyone know what song was playing when Nancy was burning her house down? It was so beautiful I want to download it!

stacery verda

stacery verda

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 19, 2007 @ 11:30 PM

It was "Keepsake" by State Radio.

publicdefender

publicdefender

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 19, 2007 @ 11:33 PM

It was "Keepsake" by State Radio.

THANK YOU.

joysan

joysan

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 4, 2007 @ 6:05 AM

"you broke my heart" by Lavender Diamond

Thanks!

maureen57

maureen57

Couch Potato

• Interests:raccoons

Posted Jun 15, 2008 @ 9:47 AM

I was bummed to hear that in Season 4, Little Boxes will no longer be the theme song.

Last Time Lord

Last Time Lord

Stalker

Posted Jun 15, 2008 @ 8:29 PM

I was too. :(

I've been trying to find the song from end of the Season 2 finale. Any ideas of what it is?

CaliforniaSun

CaliforniaSun

Fanatic

Posted Jun 15, 2008 @ 9:16 PM

It's called "One Thousand Tears of a Tarantula" by Dengue Fever.

Little Boxes is no longer the theme song?!

Last Time Lord

Last Time Lord

Stalker

Posted Jun 15, 2008 @ 10:18 PM

According to Wikipedia, the premire is the last time "Little Boxes" will be used.

And thanks for the song info.

Edited by Last Time Lord, Jun 15, 2008 @ 10:20 PM.

Hasbro

Hasbro

Fanatic

Posted Jun 22, 2008 @ 1:25 PM

According to Wikipedia, the premire is the last time "Little Boxes" will be used.

Thank you Jebus!

I. Hate. That. Fucking. Song.

Represents the worst characteristics of folk music.

Bonus for childhood trauma on that one. Elemntary School teacher was WAAAAYYYYY to into that and her freaking autoharp.

cricketeer

cricketeer

Just Tuned In

• Interests:Music, dancing, painting, soccer, volleyball, disneyworld

Posted Jun 28, 2008 @ 10:35 PM

I"d have to agree that the harshness and rasp to malvina's voice is part of the appeal to me too. Not to mention that it is a fabulous song and ever so fitting as the Intro to Weeds. I like the cover song idea, but i have to say malvina's takes the cake.

there can be much beauty in a "bad" voice.

___
country pop!

identityless

identityless

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 16, 2008 @ 9:16 AM

Has there been *any* music in season 4 - and if so, can anyone name any tracks? The Showtime website doesn't have anything for season 4. Don't really know where else to look....

I haven't actually seen any of the new season yet - I'm in the UK - so no idea when it'll be on - but this show always has such great music, that I always love to find out about it, even before I see the episodes. Too weird?

Veruka

Veruka

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 23, 2008 @ 10:15 AM

identityless, I just came across this today: Weeds music on Showtime site

I was looking for the title and artist for a song from episode 6, but they seem to be behind.

publicdefender

publicdefender

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 28, 2008 @ 9:55 PM

I'm so glad they used another Mountain Goats song! "International Small Arms Traffic Blues" is beautiful. This show consistently plays such kick-ass music.

chalkitdown

chalkitdown

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 5, 2008 @ 4:13 PM

The songs used this week(ep 408) were "How to See The Sun Rise" by Ben Sollee(played during the sex scene), and "Don't Try To Fool Me" by Miss Li(played just before and during the end credits).

Just in case anybody was wondering.

QueenL

QueenL

Fanatic

Posted Aug 5, 2008 @ 5:30 PM

The songs used this week(ep 408) were "How to See The Sun Rise" by Ben Sollee(played during the sex scene), and "Don't Try To Fool Me" by Miss Li(played just before and during the end credits).

Just in case anybody was wondering.

I was, thank you!

Pheebs16

Pheebs16

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 11, 2008 @ 4:54 PM

Has anyone heard "All the Trees of the Field Will Clap Their Hands" by Sufjan Stevens? It's from the first season, IIRC, at the end of the episode where Shane is watching the video of Judah saying "Goodnight, Shane" to him. I always thought it was a very pretty song, and finally found the title of it. Worth a listen.

I never thought I'd say this, but I kind of miss "Little Boxes." Don't know why, as I didn't exactly care for it when they used it as the theme song.

Huntley

Huntley

Fanatic

Posted Aug 26, 2008 @ 8:47 AM

I know I recognise the song from the end of 'Head Cheese' but I can't quite place it. And the official site's way behind!

Anyone?

jennams

jennams

Just Tuned In

Posted Aug 26, 2008 @ 10:00 AM

The song is called "Made" by Greg Weeks.

chalkitdown

chalkitdown

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 26, 2008 @ 1:14 PM

God Damn offical site is still 4 episodes behind! Aaaarggh! Get it updated you lazy sods!

Huntley

Huntley

Fanatic

Posted Aug 27, 2008 @ 8:35 AM

Thank you, jennams!

chalkitdown

chalkitdown

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 29, 2008 @ 2:18 PM

Anyone know the name of the song that played over the end of last weeks episode(ep 10)? The bit with Nancy & Andy sitting on the beach? I've been searching all over the net and I can't find an answer.

UPDATE YOUR WEBSITE, SHOWTIME!!!

[edit]Looks like I spoke too soon.

http://www.sho.com/site/weeds/music.do

They finally updated it to episode 11.

Edited by chalkitdown, Aug 29, 2008 @ 2:18 PM.

nikita7

nikita7

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 31, 2008 @ 10:25 AM

Okay, we're way behind here in Australia & I haven't had the internet on for months (what withdrawal symptoms? I've always had this twitch) so I've been racing through this thread in an attempt to miss spoilers -I'm yet to find a reading equivalent for sticking your fingers in your ears & going lalalalalala etc

So, this is my long-winded way of asking if anyone knows the name of the song from the S2 finale that plays briefly when Shane & Kat are dancing at the grad party? Please and thank you.