Debra Morgan: Clueless, Lovehungry and Loud

• Please log in to reply

143 replies to this topic

Ailiana

Ailiana

Fanatic

Posted Sep 13, 2009 @ 4:51 PM

I think Deb's moral compass is already beginning to waiver. She's involved in a relationship with Antone, who is a drug user, CI, and definately not always on the right side of the law. No matter how guilty she feels about some of what has happened to her, and no matter how attracted she is to him, simply by being with him she has already crossed the black-white morality line and can't just step back over it without taking a hypocrasy hit.

ttfr1

ttfr1

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 25, 2009 @ 1:13 AM

I think Deb's moral compass is already beginning to waiver. She's involved in a relationship with Antone, who is a drug user, CI, and definately not always on the right side of the law. No matter how guilty she feels about some of what has happened to her, and no matter how attracted she is to him, simply by being with him she has already crossed the black-white morality line and can't just step back over it without taking a hypocrasy hit.

Deb's moral compass may not be what it used to be, but it's hardly gone haywire. Yes, Anton is a dope smoker and he's been n trouble with the law before, but he's not a hardcore criminal. Besides, I think she really loves him . What's she suppose to do, just not have a happy relationship? It's hinky...for sure. But, it's a long way from being any where near as bad as what Dex is into. Compared to Dex, Deb is a saint.

DrSparkles

DrSparkles

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 10, 2009 @ 7:35 AM

I am LOVING Deb these days; season 1 she was ~Rita to me. When Lt. LaGuardia said "...Debra Fucking Morgan" I fell on the floor!! Maybe it's because I cuss more than I should too :) F it!

purplebubbles

purplebubbles

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 1, 2010 @ 3:05 PM

I just got into this show because I needed something to fill the void that LOST left, and man do I love Deb! So kickass, so funny, so warm hearted. And to be honest, such a refreshing female character on TV: tomboyish, sexually aggressive, foul mouthed whilst still managing not to fall into the 'bitch' stereotype. She took a bit of time to grow on me but by the end of the first season and the beginning of the second I was completely sold. I love the actress too and she does such a great job in portraying all the complexities of this multi-faceted character. Deb Morgan is kind of what I hoped Starbuck from BSG would be but never really lived up to in the end.

I think it is slightly annoying that they give her a love interest every season, but at the same time I think they've done a great job showing how Deb's inner self is getting stronger and stronger. She's gone through a lot with the Ice Truck Killer, Lundy's murder and recently finding out about Harry's affairs and Dexter's past, but they really have developed this character well when all is said and done. She's come a long way from the love-starved, giddy and naive girl she was back in S1 IMO.

And I know he's not a very popular character but I am really interested in her chemistry with Quinn and hope they do something with that, despite what I've said above. I think he's probably the best or most suitable love interest she's had so far on the show; compared to Serial Killer fiancee, Frank "Daddy Issues" Lundy and sweet but rather blah Anton. Ultimately though it's her relationship with Dexter that's definitely the most interesting and the core of the entire show, and their scenes together are my favourite. She really does love him and it's going to break her heart if/when she finds out about who Dexter really is.

x1013x

x1013x

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 27, 2010 @ 7:02 PM

Now 3 of the 4 men Deb has been involved with have been after Dexter as well. Brian wanted Dexter back to being his brother again. Lundy was after the Bay Harbor Butcher but didn't know it was Dexter. Now there is Quinn. Damn, girl's gonna end up with another complex! With her first complex coming from the fact that Harry choose to spend more time with Dexter than her.

ttfr1

ttfr1

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 16, 2010 @ 12:34 PM

And I know he's not a very popular character but I am really interested in her chemistry with Quinn and hope they do something with that, despite what I've said above. I think he's probably the best or most suitable love interest she's had so far on the show; compared to Serial Killer fiancee, Frank "Daddy Issues" Lundy and sweet but rather blah Anton. Ultimately though it's her relationship with Dexter that's definitely the most interesting and the core of the entire show, and their scenes together are my favourite. She really does love him and it's going to break her heart if/when she finds out about who Dexter really is

I loved Deb from the very beginning of the show. And, as the seasons have progressed, she has become, without a doubt, my favorite character on this show...even above the excellent MCH's Dexter. JC is so under-appreciated on the show, but that's starting to change, I think. It's way past time for her Emmy nom.

The core of the show, imo, is not Dexter....the core of the show is Dex AND Deb. We watch him season after season and are led to believe he is evolving and changing...when, in fact, he has changed very little. He still kills and feels no remorse. He is more aware that he has feelings but he always had them. The fact that he's having to try and deal with them doesn't really spell out change. For all that he's gone through, he's still the same Dex from s1 just with more baggage. Deb, on the other hand, has changed tremendously. She's more confident and seems to be taking the role Dex used to have. The role of the stronger sibling...the role of the helpful and protective sibling. If there is a change in Dex it's that he's getting sloppy...which, according to know-it-all profilers, is what many serial killers do after a while. Deb has stepped in to the role of the 'got it together' sibling...and is becoming the stronger of the two. She still has her issues but she prevails and always seems to get tougher with each tragedy. Of all the relationships on the show, Dex and Deb is the most intriguing. The big pay off of the series has to be what will happen when Deb learns the truth about her beloved brother. I want the show to last a very long time...but, a big part of me is so eager to see how it all goes down when Deb knows EVERYTHING--why Harry shunned her and embraced Dex...why Rudy/Brian wanted to kill her and that Dex almost let it happen....that Dex stole Lundy's files...that because Dex kept putting off killing Trinity, Rita was killed. So many lies...so many mind games....so much devastation. How will Deb cope with all of that!? It'll be amazing....and, most assuredly, the end of the series.

I loved Lundy and Deb together because KC was so awesome as Lundy and their chemistry was very believable and their relationship seemed so safe and caring and sweet. It was definitely fueled by Deb's 'daddy issues' but it still worked for me. I just smiled like a doofus when they were together. I miss them.

I also adored Anton...and, that was another safe, caring, sweet relationship. It was also something Deb needed at that moment in time....a bit of normalcy. As much as I loved Deb and Lundy, I was sad to see Anton go.

Now, I know Quinn is relatively unpopular, but I like him a lot. Of all the relationships Deb has had, I think he may just be about perfect for her. Their catty little remarks to each other when their working....the way he doesn't take her verbal jabs too seriously. They're both good cops...both snarky...both strong personalities. Deb's rejection rolls off of him like water off of a duck's back. It's cute because it's so obvious that Deb doth protest too much. She likes him and is attracted to him and it pisses her off. Plus, Quinn gets Deb. He really gets her. He appreciates her and sees her as the strong awesome cop that she has become. I so want them to work out.

That said, it doesn't bode well for them that Quinn is suspicious of Dex and is bound to find out at least some of Dex's secrets. Will Dex have to kill Quinn? (doubtful---too Doakes-ish) Will Quinn reveal to Deb what he learns about her bro? mmmm?

Of course, the show could throw us a curve ball and have Deb hook up with that female beat cop from the ritualistic murder scenes. I hope not 'cause I love the idea of Quinn and Deb. They just fit and the animosity between Quinn and Dex adds to the possibilities of a Quinn/Deb relationship.

Edited by ttfr1, Oct 16, 2010 @ 12:46 PM.

Geeni

Geeni

Fanatic

Posted Sep 5, 2012 @ 6:17 PM

I love Deb, but I've been really disappointed that she's been such an idiot when it comes to Dexter. She's a smart woman, now a lieutenant, she's almost caught him at a kill, and she still hadn't figured it out and had to see him in action for her to know. Here's hoping she makes some connections in S7.

rogaine2233

rogaine2233

Fanatic

Posted Sep 6, 2012 @ 5:30 AM

I don't think the therapist was doing Deb any favors by steering her down this path. It's unethical, IMO. Not sure Deb would have ever reached ths moment of realization on her own. In fact, I'm not sure it's even true. I think Deb's choice in men was more about her father than Dexter and some of that transferred on to Dexter when Harry died. It would have been more ethical, not to mention to serve Deb better, if the shrink had helped her realize how her feelings for Dexter had evolved and how she could learn from that to make better choices in her love life.

So I'm completely squicked out that the shrink did that. I think Dexter's head will explode when Deb proclaims she's IN love with him. He had a hard enough time with the concept when it came to Rita and Lumen.

ReiMehari

ReiMehari

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 22, 2012 @ 1:14 PM

I hope this crush on her brother thing is dead now.

JCScantling

JCScantling

Fanatic

Posted Oct 8, 2012 @ 4:17 PM

I wonder if Deb will begin to wonder if Dexter killed Rita. Currently she seems to be busy with keeping Dexter's nose clean but I'd like for there to be a moment when she stops to think of Rita and questions Dexter about it.

hadapurpura

hadapurpura

Fanatic

Posted Oct 8, 2012 @ 10:26 PM

I wonder if Deb will begin to wonder if Dexter killed Rita. Currently she seems to be busy with keeping Dexter's nose clean but I'd like for there to be a moment when she stops to think of Rita and questions Dexter about it.

And about Brian too. Actually there's a lot of stuff she needs to ask about.

Debra's strength is astonishing. As weak as she may act sometimes, after all she's been through it's a miracle she's able to get up in the morning.

Edited by hadapurpura, Oct 10, 2012 @ 12:02 PM.

purplebubbles

purplebubbles

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 10, 2012 @ 2:40 AM

I really like that Deb is allowed to be weak sometimes; I like watching her struggle with it and then push forward and fight against it. There are times when she reminds me a lot of Carrie from Homeland. They both have a lot of issues but they're so focused and determined on their goals and rely a lot on a huge amount inner strength.

I hope she starts asking questions about Rita too. Right now, I think she's still in shock and trying to cope with all this new information about Dexter. But it should only be a matter of time before she starts probing even further. Especially seeing as she was so disturbed by Dexter saying it was all his fault after Rita was murdered.

Nightmare Logic

Nightmare Logic

Fanatic

Posted Oct 11, 2012 @ 3:17 PM

It's funny the show could almost be called "Deb" and very little about it would actually change. It is almost....almost as much about her as it is about Dexter. If anyone but Deb turns Dexter in....I will be disappointed.

I do however occasionally flirt with the idea of her not turning him in. What? I am a sucker for redemption arcs. However this ain't the show for it.

I have also flirted with the idea that to protect Dex, Deb does something awful. Like kill LaGuerta, and Dex spend final season contemplating if his sister becoming a monster Is his fault.

Edited by Nightmare Logic, Oct 11, 2012 @ 5:01 PM.

hadapurpura

hadapurpura

Fanatic

Posted Oct 11, 2012 @ 7:33 PM

I do however occasionally flirt with the idea of her not turning him in. What? I am a sucker for redemption arcs. However this ain't the show for it.

I think she already didn't turn him in, just like he already didn't kill her, it will probably be more complex than that. Actually, Debra turning him in would be a little too black-and-white for my taste.

Poque

Poque

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 16, 2012 @ 3:39 PM

Jennifer Carpenter is just killing it this season as Deb. If she didn't deserve an Emmy nod before, she absolutely does this season. I'm also loving how much screentime she's getting simply because her main plot is revolving around Dexter for the first time in quite some time. I'm really interested in seeing what secrets from seasons past come out this season and how Deb reacts to them (Letting Lumen go, killing Brian/Rudy, eventual fates of Rita/Lithgow).

AngelaHunter44

AngelaHunter44

Fanatic

Posted Oct 31, 2012 @ 11:52 AM

Jennifer Carpenter is just killing it this season as Deb.

Absolutely. For me, the best parts of the show is when she's on screen. When she was getting a confession from Speltzer, telling Bastista to back off, or confronting Dexter, she's just riveting.

Another thing I love about her is that, unlike most other cop dramas where all the women (coroners, lawyers, FBI agents etc) must look like super models or strippers, Deb is a real person. Skinny as hell, I know, but a refreshing change from perfect features and silicone bags.

hadapurpura

hadapurpura

Fanatic

Posted Mar 15, 2013 @ 8:33 PM

Welp, now that she killed LaGuerta, there goes her happy ending. I think she'll have to learn to live on the run along with Dexter when/if the time comes.

AngelaHunter44

AngelaHunter44

Fanatic

Posted Mar 25, 2013 @ 6:35 PM

If anyone has read the novel "Twins" by Bari Wood - I have a feeling Deb and Dex might end up as they did.

hadapurpura

hadapurpura

Fanatic

Posted Apr 27, 2013 @ 1:39 PM

If anyone has read the novel "Twins" by Bari Wood - I have a feeling Deb and Dex might end up as they did.

Wow! That was... creepy... and yet I agree. I think at this point their fates are pretty much intertwined and there's nothing they can do about it.

AngelaHunter44

AngelaHunter44

Fanatic

Posted Apr 27, 2013 @ 2:50 PM

Someone has set out a few different scenarios of the future for Deb/Dex in this fanfic, which I quite enjoyed:

http://archiveofouro...hapters/1066918

JCScantling

JCScantling

Fanatic

Posted Jul 15, 2013 @ 2:10 PM

Has Deb hit rock bottom yet? I'm finding her continuing downward spiral to be boring. I know the character is tortured, but I'm just tired of seeing it episode after episode. I don't think she'd bounce back from what she did, but how many times can they show her drunk or hungover? We get it. Deb is fucked up, and she's not getting better anytime soon.

Portia

Portia

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 25, 2013 @ 2:46 PM

I also find Deb continually blaming Dexter for the choices she made and her drunken/drug/sex binges boring. Yes, she did what she did because she loves Dexter but she's was warped in the first place for ever go along with it. She could have turned him in before it skyrocketed out of control as soon as she knew that they weren't getting away with burning down the Church. I can't feel any sympathy for her at this point.

AngelaHunter44

AngelaHunter44

Fanatic

Posted Jul 27, 2013 @ 10:08 AM

She could have turned him in before it skyrocketed out of control

Yes, she could have arrested him, watched him sit in prison for years, taken Harrison's father (however sketchy a father he is)away from him, and then maybe seen him executed.

Would the guilt from that be any less than her guilt over Laguerta? Deb was kind of between a rock and a hard place.

I have a brother I love too, and can't say with any surety I would have acted any differently than Deb did.

Portia

Portia

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 27, 2013 @ 11:00 PM

Yes, I'm speaking from a point-of-view where I don't see any scenario where I would murder an innocent person for a family who was a serial killer. Therefore, Deb doing all she's done and blaming it on Dexter gets no sympathy from me. But, I do love the great job the actress is doing with the role.