Dexter Morgan: The Little Wooden Boy

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

40 replies to this topic

luvdave

luvdave

Fanatic

Posted Sep 13, 2009 @ 10:02 PM

As of the end of S3, I think the writers are going too far on the "nice guy" side of the pendulum.

I agree. I'm not sure whether it's due to the staff changes after S1, or if they're deliberately trying to "mainstream" Dexter to make him more palatable for awards voters and give MCH a better shot at a win.

If it's the latter, and assuming MCH still hasn't won by the time the last season rolls around, I'd say the heck with it and give him whatever material allows him to chew as much scenery as he can and send the show off with a bang. He might have to rely on the "Last season of the show"/"He's overdue" factors to put him over the top, but I'd rather see them be true to the original tone of the show.

Driad

Driad

Fanatic

Posted Oct 27, 2009 @ 1:12 PM

Can anyone estimate Dexter's financial situation?

Credits: his salary, and the money from the house his bio-dad left him.

Debits: rented(?) house, apartment (1-BR, water view), boat (payments, marina, maintenance), minivan (and Rita's car?), feeding 5 people, etc.

Can anyone put numbers to any of these?

clairebbbear

clairebbbear

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 2, 2009 @ 3:35 AM

"" Some of them.

I've seen a quote somewhere that Dex would earn approximately 70k per year as a senior forensic tech.

Add to his credits: the house Paul owned from a drug deal, which Rita inherited; half of Harry's life insurance (surely he'd have something like that as a cop?); half of the profits from the sale of the Morgan family home after Harry's death.

What those credits are worth? Well, Joe Driscoll's house was in a farflung Dade City and appears to have only 1 bedroom, or a second bedroom not big enough for two people to sleep in (because Deb and Rudy had to sleep on the sofa bed that one time). Rita's place had three bedrooms and didn't appear to be in a flash neighbourhood either.

Debits - I think you can take out the payments for the boat - I think he would have used Harry's inheritance to pay for that, since it seems to have been part of his ritual for some time.

Dexter and Rita's new house is in a nice neighbourhood, sure, but it's not as flash as some of their neighbours' places. It appears to have three bedrooms, because when Deb came to stay Astor got "evicted" from hers. Harrison's room, which has glass doors and is next to the front door, appears to be a dining room or other living area that's been converted into a nursery. I think the addition of the shed to the backyard suggests that Dexter and Rita bought their new place rather than leased it.

Do the profits from Joe Driscoll's house and Rita's (Paul's) house equal the cost of Rita's and Dexter's new place? Probably not, but they would take out a big chunk of it, surely.

ETA: Okay - more on the costs.

The only way to work out how much Dexter's apartment might cost is to identify where it actually is in Miami (bearing in mind that the apartment actually exists in Miami, because the pilot was filmed there).

Here's where it is: http://www.seeing-st...extersApartment.

The article above says that apartments in that particular block sell for between $175,000 and $325,000. Though, prices must have fallen since then, because here's one, in the same block, and with two bedrooms, for $119,000.

http://searchmiamiho...Club - Listings

Even if it was worth $250,000, I think Dex could easily afford rental payments for that on his salary and have quite a bit left over.

Edited by clairebbbear, Nov 2, 2009 @ 9:34 AM.

badassbunny

badassbunny

Just Tuned In

Posted Feb 16, 2010 @ 5:10 PM

I figured you guys would be interested in the Dexter jewelry collection I just put up for sale on Etsy
Please have a look, and let me know what you think :)

The Dexter Collection by BadassBunny on Etsy

BlueberryCashew

BlueberryCashew

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 3, 2010 @ 6:43 PM

ttfr1 said elsewhere:

First, what are the chances of two boys (Brian and Dexter) being born serial killers? I guess it could be genetic. Does that mean that they would have been serial killers even if they'd not seen their mother murdered? Or was her murder the trauma that unleashed their true desire?

I was incredulous, too, until I read NPR's recent three-part series on psychopathology. There are supposedly three ingredients that make a psychopath: a gene variant, a brain abnormality, and a childhood trauma. There's some non-zero chance that, being brothers, both Dexter and Brian had the genetic and brain components in common. Then they both suffered the same childhood trauma, which sealed the deal. (Whether or not Jeff Lindsay had that in mind when he wrote Darkly Dreaming Dexter isn't all that interesting to me.)

I also think all this affection and empathy Dexter's been showing recently is believable. He's learned a lot of social skills in an intellectual, mechanical way, almost like a computer algorithm: if someone does this, it probably means this, and i should respond like this. No reason why he shouldn't continue learning and get better at reading people. Psychopaths aren't supposed to feel love, per se, but they do form attachments to people who are important to them, and will act to protect them in the same way they might protect themselves. Dexter's learned to label that as "love", and that's okay, right? It made Astor feel better to hear it, and it made all his family and friends feel better to hear him say it about Rita, and it probably even makes him feel better -- more human.

LargeRedHerring

LargeRedHerring

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 5, 2011 @ 1:45 PM

I read the article that BluberryCashew linked to and that got me thinking, didn't Dexter have a brain scan in season 3, and he worried that it would show that he was a psycho? Nothing apparently came of that, so I guess we are meant to assume that either Dexter didn't have the brain abnormality or nobody thought it was particularly interesting. Rita knew that Dexter had witnessed a trauma, so you'd think that if the brain scan did show anything that might have been a bit of a red flag.

I'm not all that concerned with real world psychology in relation to this show, however, since I've always thought the premise was totally unrealistic in the first place, but it's presented in an interesting enough way that I'm willing to suspend my disbelief. So I'm not bothered with whether Dexter acts like a true sociopath or not.

Psychopaths aren't supposed to feel love, per se, but they do form attachments to people who are important to them, and will act to protect them in the same way they might protect themselves. Dexter's learned to label that as "love", and that's okay, right? It made Astor feel better to hear it, and it made all his family and friends feel better to hear him say it about Rita, and it probably even makes him feel better -- more human.

To me, one of the interesting themes of this show has always been about the difference between learned behavior versus nature, the face you present to the world versus the "real self". If you pretend that you're something long enough, do you internalize it enough to really want to become it? What's the difference? If Dexter thinks he loves Rita, if he wanted to love her, does that make it true? It's worth noting that he didn't say out loud that he loved Rita to make anyone feel better, he said it in voice over after he gave the speech at her funeral. And if he said it to make himself feel better, why? Does it make him feel better to see himself as more human? Does Dexter want to feel human, or does he just want people to think he is? At what point does he start to want to become the mask, to need it not just for others but for himself?

rogaine2233

rogaine2233

Fanatic

Posted Nov 12, 2012 @ 8:25 AM

Dexter and his women. LOL But IMO, it's fascinating.

I am liking the Dexter/Hannah relationship. She is another female who sees is Dark Passenger, but she gets it in a different way than Lila or Lumen did. And Rita was totally oblivious.

I think that different parts of Dexter loved these women in different ways.

His "normal" part (or desire to look/be/appear normal) was attracted to Rita.

His totally evil DP was attracted to Lila.

The conflict within him that is set up between the "normal" Dex and the DP is what was attracted to Lumen.

And it appears now the whole of Dexter...integrated Dexter...is attracted to Hannah.

Sakura12

Sakura12

Fanatic

Posted Nov 12, 2012 @ 10:06 AM

His voice over explained it perfectly. Lila was attracted to his darkness, Rita was blind to it, Lumen needed it, Hannah is the first person he's met that understands it.

Hannah gets normal Dexter because she's pretending to be normal too, she doesn't connect to the rest of world like him, She also knows and accepts what she is. She's him and he's her. So of course he's attracted to her.

hadapurpura

hadapurpura

Fanatic

Posted Nov 12, 2012 @ 10:54 AM

His voice over explained it perfectly. Lila was attracted to his darkness, Rita was blind to it, Lumen needed it, Hannah is the first person he's met that understands it.

Hannah's Brian 2.0. Like Dexter said, she's an unchecked version of himself.

rogaine2233

rogaine2233

Fanatic

Posted Nov 27, 2012 @ 2:16 PM

I didn't want to derail the episode thread with these thoughts so I took them here.

I liked Dexter and Hannah in the beginning but "Helter Skelter" just pissed me off. Dex is loopy in love and it doesn't work for the character, IMO. Dex and Lumen, Dex and Rita..those two relationships worked for various reasons.

But Dexter head over heels in luuurve? About as interesting as Don Draper in love.

Mars477

Mars477

Fanatic

Posted Nov 28, 2012 @ 4:26 AM

Call me crazy, but I liked Dexter and Lumen so much better. Partly because Julia Stiles is a much better actress, and she and MCH had much better chemistry than he does with Strahovski. And partly because they actually took the time to build Lumen up as an actual character, and had them open so much of themselves up to each other before it turned romantic. Sure, Lumen's exit was ten kinds of bullshit, but the relationship felt real.

Can't see anything between between Dexter and Hannah. There's the "chemistry" that the writers hit me over the head with in "Chemistry". And... nothing else. She's some kind of weird faux-ingenue type but we know that she's actually a psychopathic killer. And so does Dexter, so his being crazy in love just makes him look stupid.

Edited by Mars477, Nov 28, 2012 @ 1:09 PM.