Dexter in the Media

• Please log in to reply

605 replies to this topic

cyberducks

cyberducks

Fanatic

Posted Dec 17, 2010 @ 5:03 PM

New showrunner for Dexter next season - Chip Johannessen steps down.

So, the guy they promoted to showrunner has been on Dexter since the second season, he knows the show very well and he was on SFU before Dexter. Sounds promising to me.

Dallas Fan

Dallas Fan

Fanatic

Posted Dec 17, 2010 @ 5:11 PM

The divorce is none of our business, or is it? Both parties are actors. They are in a very public forum and it's no secret to either of them, or the other woman/man if there is one, that everything they do is fodder for tabloids, gossip sites and forums of discussion. The media serves them well when things are going great and it serves them for better or wrost when things are shit. It's the price of fame. You don't want your personal lives discussed, then don't go into showbiz. Harsh reality, but there it is. I think it's a small trade of for fame and fortune.

I think it's just an excuse from fans for bad behavior. It is sort of like saying that actors sign up to get stalkers - I mean, actors get stalkers all the time, should know they can get one when they get into business, no hard feelings. No, they didn't sign up for this, they signed up to act, that's what they wanted to do. Yes, of course they knew the harsh reality that there will be lots of busybodies who enjoy sticking their noses in other people's business, but just because a bad thing is expected doesn't make it less of a bad thing. And it certainly doesn't make their lives our business. How so? They never claimed that they will be our role models, or will be living the way we want them to live, when they took their parts. All they are supposed to do is to give good performance.
For my money, if they do not think their marriage works, they should divorce. If they like certain person, they should be with them (maybe Michael with Julia, maybe not, don't care). Certainly they shouldn't be looking to their fans for guidance on how to live their lives. I don't know, if somebody told me "You shall not date your coworkers anymore! You should date people you meet in glam restaurants or parties!" my reaction would be more "Where do you get off?!.." than "Thank you for sage advice". IMO the only opinions that matter are of people involved who have some idea what the hell really goes on.

Cyberducks, now that's extremely interesting and definitely concers viewers. I just hope they won't get back to old formula coz it got old awhile ago.

moon called

moon called

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 17, 2010 @ 5:11 PM

Okay, I finally found the original link to the TMZ 'Jennifer Carpenter Date' page, but the page has been removed (probably in light of the divorce announcement). Sorry! I'll stop repeating it now.

cyberducks

cyberducks

Fanatic

Posted Dec 17, 2010 @ 5:28 PM

Dallas Fan, I think the showrunner change to someone who knows the show intimately means it's Dexter end game time. If memory serves Scott Buck was on SFU during its final season and I thought they wrapped that series up very well. If I were a betting person I would bet that MCH will call it quits after next season. He has been doing that TV series thing a long time, he went straight from SFU - which ran for 5 seasons - into Dexter. I won't be surprised at all if he is ready for a change of pace and something different.

LottaMoxie

LottaMoxie

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 17, 2010 @ 5:34 PM

Well, if it's true that JC was complaining throughout the season, on set, to coworkers, about her marriage, then it's probably more than 1 person wants kids and the other doesn't and they argue, then shake hands (metaphorically) and part ways.

The marriage, for whatever reason, simply didn't work. And now it's ending, will end.

And each will move on and find new loves, and life goes on. Lots of fish in the ocean for each of them if they so desire. Hopefully no body parts get tossed over the side.

And if MCH and JS find themselves attracted and each are free and each wants to date, then I'm sure they will.

And JC too will be just fine I'm sure.

And Season 6 will take longer to get here than perhaps the length of their marriage (or so it seems).

moon called

moon called

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 17, 2010 @ 6:05 PM

Those who hated the Lumen storyline would have likely hated any actress playing that role because the writers took screen time away from other characters for the Lumen arc.

Agreed. And I'm sure the Lumen Pierce character didn't have any more screen time with Michael C. Hall, or on her own, in season 5 than Arthur Mitchell/Trinity did in season 4, or Miquel Prada did in season 3.

A Special Guest Starring role on Dexter is different than a Guest Star or Co-Starring role in that the Special Guest Star shares the same gravitas and responsibility for moving the story along as the Main Star (Michael C. Hall) does. They are also showcased in more episodes than a Guest Star. It was the same for Jimmy Smits in season 3 and John Lithgow in season 4 (just go back and re-watch those seasons and you'll see).

Edited by moon called, Dec 17, 2010 @ 6:10 PM.

ttfr1

ttfr1

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 17, 2010 @ 6:19 PM

sort of like saying that actors sign up to get stalkers - I mean, actors get stalkers all the time, should know they can get one when they get into business, no hard feelings.

No. it's not the same thing and that is not what I said. Having you life spread out in tabloids and the like is in no way like having a deranged stalker and no one deserves that. NOT what I said or even was thinking.

They do sign up to act but they are all well aware of the fact that if and when they get well known (and they ALL want to be well known) that their private lives are suddenly going to become very hard to protect and every good or, especially, bad thing they do sells papers and attracts site hits. It's not fair but, hey, it's like that for all famous people. They know this and protect themselves as best they can. Unfortunately divorce papers and the like are public record and available to all eyes. So, when a famous person like MCH gets a divorce everyone knows. I feel bad for them both because of that....but, not too bad. The trade off seems fair enough to me.

chgowatcher

chgowatcher

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 17, 2010 @ 10:28 PM

Spousal support? If it's true I don't think she should get it. I don't know why anyone who was married for less than 2 years, has her own income and no kids would need spousal support. It's not like she gave up a career to marry him and stay home with the kids. It's not even like they were married a long time. Not everyone is entitled to spousal support, sometimes you just need to move on and let it go.

JustLurkingThnx

JustLurkingThnx

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 17, 2010 @ 11:59 PM

Certainly [actors] shouldn't be looking to their fans for guidance on how to live their lives.

I was thinking the exact same thing, Dallas Fan. Let's say a performing artist puts up a poll on a website or asks people to SMS their opinions. How ludicrous an idea is it to follow advice from people who know you only from your performances? Which are by definition not the real you? It beggars the imagination.

Yes, there is a worldwide, multi-billion-dollar industry based on invading the privacy of, and despoiling the reputation of, anyone fortunate enough to gain public recognition for their work. Particularly if they happen to be young and female. Jack Coleman, when he was blogging here on TWoP, had quite a lot to say about this. The mere fact of tabloid journalism's existence, however, does not make it any less unethical or reprehensible.

Re Scott Buck's appointment as showrunner:

... are the problems with Dexter insurmountable if you're constantly asked to tread water instead of attack the natural end-game of a show with this premise?

Can we dare hope that Buck WILL be asked to attack the Dexter endgame, allowing the show to bow out with its dignity intact?

... [MCH] worked alongside Julie Benz and Jamie Murray (both attractive women) with no problems. He kept composure and didn't stray.

Do we know this for certain? (Kidding, kidding...! :D ) And even if he were shagging everyone on set from the AD to the script boys, why on earth is that our concern? The author of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, for example, had what some might consider an unhealthy preoccupation with photographing little girls with no clothes on. Need we therefore ban all of the Alice books and movies?

The divorce is none of our business, or is it?

It is none of our business.

moon called

moon called

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 18, 2010 @ 2:38 AM

Regarding my earlier "Jennifer Carpenter is dating, too" post and deletion: the page is back up at the TMZ site.

Jennifer Carpenter - Mystery Meat (and they don't mean her sandwich)

Edited by moon called, Dec 19, 2010 @ 1:30 AM.

hardy har

hardy har

Fanatic

Posted Dec 18, 2010 @ 1:12 PM

Can we dare hope that Buck WILL be asked to attack the Dexter endgame, allowing the show to bow out with its dignity intact?

God, I hope so.

Asari

Asari

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 19, 2010 @ 2:34 AM

It is none of our business.

They made it our business. They can't talk in interviews about the good things in their lives - the things they use to coax the public into liking them which helps them promote their projects - and not expect the public to discuss the negative things as well. They can't have it both ways. They put out a public statement that they're divorcing, it's fair game for the rest of us to discuss why.

I wonder if Michael C. Hall wanted to have kids after his near-death bout with cancer, and Jennifer wasn't ready?

I also hope this is the case. I really enjoyed this season - too many ridiculous dumb luck escapes and all (the 24 influence) - and I would feel less icky if it wasn't because MCH and Julia got googly-eyed at each other.

Yay for the new showrunner. I want the last(?) season to be as smart as the first.

ttfr1

ttfr1

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 19, 2010 @ 10:10 AM

They made it our business. They can't talk in interviews about the good things in their lives - the things they use to coax the public into liking them which helps them promote their projects - and not expect the public to discuss the negative things as well. They can't have it both ways. They put out a public statement that they're divorcing, it's fair game for the rest of us to discuss why.

Well said and I totally agree. I like MCH and Jen a lot. Jen's my fave of the two, but I care about both and the show they both have made such a entertaining experience. I have all things Dexter entered into my Google Alerts, so everything about Jen, MCH or the show pops up in my email. When the split happened, it all popped up in my email, too. It's out there and it's in my face and it's hard to ignore.

All celebs use the media to promote their work and the good things they do. But, once you do that, it's like opening Pandora's box. All things are fair game. They can't have it both ways. They can't lavish in the limelight when everything is hunky dory yet scurry for the shadows when things go bad. The Media doesn't work that way, not nowadays, anyway. That said, I think both Jen and MCH are handling themselves well. And, I thought Julia's comment was nice, though rather cryptic.

Here's hoping the split was just due to differences in life views and not an affair on either's part.

Also, I'm glad to hear about the new show runner and I'm 100% ready for season 6 to be the biggest, the best and THE LAST. It's time.

moon called

moon called

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 19, 2010 @ 5:01 PM

All celebs use the media to promote their work and the good things they do. But, once you do that, it's like opening Pandora's box. All things are fair game. They can't have it both ways. They can't lavish in the limelight when everything is hunky dory yet scurry for the shadows when things go bad. The Media doesn't work that way, not nowadays, anyway.

I disagree. I think when celebrities are on media tours promoting their work, dressed to the 9's on the red carpet, or attending work related events (anything related to what we've 'paid' to see them do), then they are fair game. However, when they're dealing with personal issues, having marriage woes, suffering illness, out with their kids, trying their best to sneak out for a 'date' night, or just walking down the street or the beach trying to have a private moment, then they're on their own time ... which is none of our business. I believe all celebrities really owe us is a PR release announcing marriage, divorce, or birth of children. Any photos released along with those PR releases should really be their call, not an obligation.

Ironically, it's those 'private' moment celebrity photos that garner the most money with media outlets, trespass most on a celebrity's privacy, and thrill the public most--more than 'work' related ones. Then we wonder why celebrities, or their kids, don't look happy having their 'private moment' pictures taken. We accuse them of being 'media' whores, who 'use' themselves and/or their families for publicity.

That said, I think both Jen and MCH are handling themselves well. And, I thought Julia's comment was nice, though rather cryptic.

I believe Michael C. Hall and Jennifer Carpenter made a mistake in not releasing a PR statement back in August announcing their separation. The problem with announcing the separation the day after the season 5 finale is that people assumed the separation happened with the finale, and a lot of people (including episode reviewers) had already been 'buzzing' about the (what I believe to be) natural on-screen chemistry between Michael C. Hall and Julia Stiles. They should have just waited for Jennifer to file for divorce, since the article included a link to her divorce petition, which included the official separation date. Waiting nearly a week between announcements allowed a gossip maven like Lainey to post a Blind Vice filled with erroneous information, hinting that the marriage was fine until Julia Stiles had an affair with Michael C. Hall that caused the couple to split and then led Jennifer Carpenter to file for divorce. That lie, along with tidbits about Julia and Michael gazing 'lovingly' at each other at a NYC party in October and Michael obsessing over Julia's butt, spread through the Internet like wildfire. There was no proof, but that didn't stop Blog sites from posting the information with a question mark ... still getting it out there, but giving everyone plausible deniability if it proved not to be true.

Since the PR release was our business, but everything beyond that wasn't, the three actors ignored the Internet media storm, until the mainstream media outlets began to pick up the rumor. Then Julia Stiles released a statement, but people still weren't satisfied. Frankly, I think people were ready to tear her apart (like Angelina Jolie), and didn't take too kindly to being stopped in their tracks by the truth. She had already been labeled a 'ho,' 'skank,' and 'Homewrecker,' but people seemed to want blood. The rumor was that an affair with Julia Stiles had caused Michael C. Hall and Jennifer Carpenter to separate and then divorce (every article was titled either "Is Julia Stiles a Homewrecker?" or "Affair with Julia Stiles Breaks up Michael C. Hall and Jennifer Carpenter's Marriage?" or "Michael C. Hall Leaves Wife for Julia Stiles?"), so that's what Julia addressed in her statement. Then people grumbled that she didn't say she wasn't dating him now. Well, if she is dating Michael C. Hall now, it's none of our business. His marriage to Jennifer Carpenter is over.

Even now, when the divorce petition states the separation date was back in August, people are saying they hope it wasn't true that the marriage broke up because of an affair with Julia Stiles. I'm very much invested in this because I've been a fan of Julia's for years. I know how hard she has worked to keep her privacy and to stay under the radar by not getting involved in the Hollywood game. I guess what really bugs me is that Julia's well cultivated privacy has been destroyed over a bit of wicked, ill-timed erroneous gossip.

I'm feeling for Michael C. Hall as well, since the people calling Julia a 'ho,' 'skank,' and 'homewrecker' have also labeled him a 'serial cheater' and a 'co-star predator.' All they had to do (belatedly, like me) was Google the events to see that Michael didn't meet his first wife (Amy Spanger) during the play Chicago, but he'd actually married her the year before. And he didn't cheat on his first wife with Jennifer Carpenter, but was separated and divorced from Amy Spanger in 2006, the same year Jennifer Carpenter was involved with actor Christian Camargo (Rudy/Brian Moser). All that information hit the Internet in the form of PR releases.

Edited by moon called, Dec 20, 2010 @ 1:12 AM.

MDCouture

MDCouture

Just Tuned In

Posted Dec 19, 2010 @ 7:55 PM

moon called, i agree with you 1000000%!!! Well written!

I honestly didn't think twice about Julia; I was indifferent to her. But after seeing Dexter, I have a new found respect for her acting. I even decided to re-watch Bourne Ultimatum and 10 Things I Hate About You, just so I could see how much she's improved. Watching 10 Things made me realize that she had pretty good comedic timing for such a young age. For Bourne Ultimatum, she was pretty physical in her action scenes. I see why she was chosen to play Lumen. I can see her being tough as well as fragile. I especially loved that scene when she was whimpering on the floor in the hotel room. And her acting in the bathroom scene was great. She had very good range of emotions. And I can't forget Dexter/Lumen bickering LOL! I'm sure a lot of people disagree but oh well, to each his own.

If I'm being honest, I mostly feel sorry for BOTH Michael C Hall and Julia Stiles. Don't get me wrong, I feel bad for JC. But it's because they are being called these horrible names on the internet. For now, I refuse to believe the rumors about an affair. And what really irks me the MOST is that people are calling MCH a cheater when, like you said, he and his first wife divorced BEFORE Dexter even started. And then JC and MCH were separated in August when Julia just arrived. It just goes to show you how awful people can be. Finally, once JC and MCH are divorced, I'm all for shipping MCH and JS. For some reason, they make sense to me. Their personalities and intellect seem to mesh well. Sorry, JC fans, I like JC but she's better off with someone else anyway. Just like MCH is better off with someone else, due to their "irreconcilable differences."

The good thing about this unfortunate situation is that as quick as these rumors spread, the quicker it's forgotten. Things will blow over and they can move on with their lives. The best of luck to all of them.

Edited by MDCouture, Dec 19, 2010 @ 7:57 PM.

ttfr1

ttfr1

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 20, 2010 @ 12:35 AM

It's not the Golden Globes. Just a blog site. But, hey, it's nice to see Jennifer getting some credit for her awesome work on 'Dexter'.

http://www.cinema-su...e-best-of-2010/

TWoP Tennison

TWoP Tennison

TWoP Moderator

Posted Dec 20, 2010 @ 6:50 AM

All right, everyone needs to chill out.

Much of this discussion about the actors has gotten well off the topic of media. People are lecturing each other, talking about the fans instead of the show, discussing general views of relationships and speculating on things that aren't and haven't been in the media.

There are other sites on the net if you want to bicker at each other.

Orange Julius

Orange Julius

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 21, 2010 @ 12:01 PM

Great news about Scott! I Loved his episodes in the seasons past :D

Media is a strange thing. One minute actors are releasing stories about how events have brought them closer together, the next they are divorcing. Who knows what is real and how much is simply calculated to maximize interest.

Lilac4381

Lilac4381

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 2, 2011 @ 10:08 PM

Again, you must take every gossip blog with a grain of salt but ENT Lawyer from Crazy Days Crazy Nights did his big reveals yesterday. He does them on 4th of July and New Years Day. The original blind item that started much of the speculation was revealed yesterday as MCH and JS. Again, it is still possible it isn't true but I don't think the site does reveals unless they have pretty solid info.

Medium Rare

Medium Rare

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 4, 2011 @ 2:26 PM

To everyone that says MCH and Stiles had 'off the charts' chemistry, I *never* saw it. I wish I had. All I saw was akwardness. One of the reasons their lovey dovey moments were cringe worthy for me.

I agree. Stiles was painful to watch in every scene in which she appeared. It galls me to come to the media thread to read that she received a Golden Globe nomination for her performance — particularly when Jennifer Carpenter did not, and she is stellar on the show.

Anyhoo, I am late arriving — weeks away on Christmas vacation will do that to a guy — but am not necessarily shocked at the news of yet another Hollywood couple going their separate ways. I feel sorry for Carpenter, especially as she stood by her man during his fight with cancer. If those rumours about Hall and Stiles are true, then that will make him quite the loathesome character.

Elsewhere, the most interesting development is Scott Buck taking over as show-runner. I hope that this means that Dexter will, mercifully, conclude at the end of Season Six. The steady decline in quality of the show has to stop. Surely Showtime, which wants to milk its cash cow for as long as possible, has to realise that Dexter must be put out to pasture, no matter the ratings and financial windfall.

ttfr1

ttfr1

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 16, 2011 @ 12:01 PM

The steady decline in quality of the show has to stop. Surely Showtime, which wants to milk its cash cow for as long as possible, has to realise that Dexter must be put out to pasture, no matter the ratings and financial windfall.

I loved season 1, 2 and 4. Every other season has been lackluster for me. The constant lies from Dexter. The constant danger he puts those closest to him in. The consequences of his actions never coming home to roost. Yes, Rita's murder was the closest to those consequences touching him and while he seemed affected by her murder, he never really seemed to suffer enough for it, imo. It ticks me off so much that I actually pretty much loathe Dexter now. I watch the show for two reasons: Jennifer Carpenter and the day Deb discovers the truth about her lying scheming irredeemable foster brother. If it doesn't happen in season 6, I think I'll have to just give up on this show.

I have to add that I'm still really sad about their divorce. I, for one, was totally shocked by it. After all the speculation about an affair with Stiles and the speculation in tabloids like the Enquirer that JC wanted a baby and MCH didn't, I've come to my own conclusions to disregard all that.

I saw a pic of MCH and JC around the time Dexter premiered for it's 5th season. They were outside walking together hand in hand and smiling. They looked very happy and comfortable with each other. It so happens that this pic was taken during the time of their seperation. That leads me to believe that they are still friends. Maybe they even still love one another. It's possible they decided they cared for each other but weren't a compatable couple. Thus, they split as friends that still care deeply for each other. That's the way I like to think of their divorce. As for the alimony, that could have been agreed upon by them both.

I wish them both the best. And, as a JC fan, I know she'll have a beautiful life and great career.

scarynikki12

scarynikki12

Fanatic

Posted Jan 16, 2011 @ 7:07 PM

I saw them at Comic Con in late July, shortly before the season premiered, and they were completely relaxed, joking, and affectionate with one another. They even seemed far more interested in conversing with each other than answering panel questions (though the fact that they couldn't hear anything played a part). I fully believe that they realized that they wanted different things from life, and agreed to part on good terms and will continue to do so until one or both address the subject.

As for the show, I really hope that the showrunners end things after next season and let us know if they decide to do that.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Jan 18, 2011 @ 11:55 AM

Yikes-that's one red beard Michael C Hall had at the Golden Globes. He looked like young Kris Kringle.

Solea

Solea

Fanatic

Posted Mar 24, 2011 @ 1:11 PM

In an interview with MCH, promoting his movie "Peep World", he has this to say about Season 6:

Michael C Hall: "I go back to Dexter in May to start shooting Season 6. We’ll go until late October and the show will air mid-October, or something like that."

Edge

Edge

Video Archivist

Posted May 28, 2011 @ 4:26 PM

I've seen cast addition news (guessing it's already listed in the Spoiler discussion thread, at least three new actors confirmed and four new character descriptions) and it was reported back in March that filming would begin in May, so I'm guessing they've started now?

Has there been any news yet on whether this'll be the last year (hoping) ? If they haven't said so by August or September, I'm guessing Season 7 will definitely be it. But they're in a prime spot to end it now (they were after Seasons 2 and 4 too, IMO. Season 5 was a stall).

Palomar

Palomar

Fanatic

Posted Jun 16, 2011 @ 4:11 AM

It's funny to read all these comments from people hoping for a last season. I'm coming from a totally different place as Season 5 was my first season watching Dexter (didn't have Showtime before) and I LOVED it. Was able to backtrack and watch Season 4. Not the ideal way to watch these shows I know, but I'm definitely looking forward to the new season and hopefully going back to the beginning.

cyberducks

cyberducks

Fanatic

Posted Jul 3, 2011 @ 7:38 AM

It's funny to read all these comments from people hoping for a last season.

Not me! I am happy for the show to go on, as long as it keeps up its quality - which I think it has so far. And the ratings are good - indeed last season were the highest yet.

LevitateMe

LevitateMe

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 15, 2011 @ 7:39 AM

Congrats to MCH, JS, and the show as a whole on their 2011 Emmy noms! Have to admit I am surprised the show itself got nominated this season... but I'll take it (ha).

http://www.ontheredc...ominees/8249876

But do I need to say it, hopefully others agree... Jennifer Carpenter has been yet again ROBBED. Seriously robbed. Her performances in the last few episodes of the season, and how clearly she portrayed her character struggling with her own internal "code" changing, was amazing. How do these people not notice her when it comes time for awards?? Or is she not promoted properly?

DarkPass21

DarkPass21

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 15, 2011 @ 12:24 PM

I was surprised by JS getting nominated. Her performance was mediocre at best, imo. But she's considered a relatively "big name" for television. However, I'm outraged JC was snubbed. She really brought it this season and her interactions with Dexter is really the only reason I keep watching this often repetitive show. Shame on whoever was nominating these people. Then again, this is the same academy that snubbed Sons of Anarchy (Katey Sagal especially, who won a golden globe) and keeps nominating Glee for whatever reason.

Im1HppyGrl

Im1HppyGrl

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 25, 2011 @ 9:04 AM

Full length trailer/preview of Season 6 is now out: http://www.youtube.c...p;v=RsvGslI_KcM

I'll admit, it got my heart pounding a little. I am cautiously optimistic that this season might be great. We'll see -- get here quickly, October 2nd.