Life on Mars (US)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

1251 replies to this topic

CantThinkUpName

CantThinkUpName

Stalker

Posted Jul 16, 2008 @ 6:11 PM

Daniel Bordel?

PreviouslyOnTV

PreviouslyOnTV

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 16, 2008 @ 6:25 PM

Daniel Bordel?

Who? :D

Google is coming up empty

CantThinkUpName

CantThinkUpName

Stalker

Posted Jul 16, 2008 @ 6:46 PM

Who? :D

Google is coming up empty

I just tried to come up with a name. The only first name I could come up with was "Daniel." Then as I trying to come up with an honest/funny last name I gave up and thought I closed out the window before I hit click. Oopsy.

PreviouslyOnTV

PreviouslyOnTV

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 16, 2008 @ 6:53 PM

Searching through a weak list of American actors on wikipedia the only one that comes close to matching is J Nathan Bazzel, an actor known for his portrayal of Thomas Jefferson :O

So not him.

Peterased

Peterased

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 16, 2008 @ 7:08 PM

Harvey Keitel.

CantThinkUpName

CantThinkUpName

Stalker

Posted Jul 16, 2008 @ 7:15 PM

God damn, love Kietel and want to see him do more than Gatorade commercials and attempt to foil The National Treasurers.

I mean if that's the case, I think it's becoming clear they're thankfully going a different direction which is more than welcome rather than trying to do a Second Generation Multiplicity Clone of PG's GH.

PreviouslyOnTV

PreviouslyOnTV

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 16, 2008 @ 7:44 PM

Harvey Keitel.

Wow, that would be an impressive get.

Edited by PreviouslyOnTV, Jul 16, 2008 @ 7:44 PM.

mandigirl

mandigirl

Fanatic

Posted Jul 17, 2008 @ 1:20 AM

Wow, that would be an impressive get.

For reals. I actually thought of his name too at first, but then I figured no way could they get him. I have to say, I'm still dubious. I'll definitely only believe that when I see it. But if true, it could be very interesting casting. But isn't he a little hard for that character?

Edited by mandigirl, Jul 17, 2008 @ 1:23 AM.

pacejunkie

pacejunkie

Fanatic

Posted Jul 17, 2008 @ 8:34 AM

I'm all for that one. He could put the warmth and humour into the character that it needs while maintaining that tough exterior. Definitely has the talent to make Gene complex.

rsnation

rsnation

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 17, 2008 @ 11:28 AM

Info from EW website dated yesterday: Apparently everyone but NuSam is gone. Imperioli is playing Ray. No word about the rest of the casting. Also, the showrunners said they believed the show could go on much longer than the British version because "the end game won't be the same". They have come up with 13 options for Sam - apparently there's more out there than being mad, in a coma, or back in time after all.

I'm beyond knowing what to think here, though I have to admit at least I'm curious again.

veritykindle85

veritykindle85

Fanatic

Posted Jul 17, 2008 @ 11:44 AM

Also, the showrunners said they believed the show could go on much longer than the British version because "the end game won't be the same".

I'm actually glad to hear that, as it might mean that the new showrunners are really trying to make this their own creation, just loosely inspired by the original. There'd be even less point to the remake if they intended to tell virtually the exact same story. Of course, the comment about the show "go[ing] on much longer" also makes me think that the network just hopes to milk the story for everything it's worth, if the show is somehow successful, with no regard for what might constitute good storytelling or a proper, dramatically compelling conclusion.

just watching

just watching

Stalker

Posted Jul 17, 2008 @ 12:41 PM

Then again, there's only so may times you can "almost" wake up a patient from a coma without ruining suspense but I've always thought the original version could've lasted a lot longer than it did.

I finally finished Intermission last night and now I'm sort of pissed Colm Meaney's being recast. His character in the movie is almost nothing like Gene Hunt (except that they both drink and really like the word 'scumbag') but he was able to make me pity a pretty straight-up unlikeable character, which he failed to do in the pilot of this show. I do think it must have been a combination of bad writing and directing.

I don't know, if Sam Tyler whould've been more along the lines of Gary Sinise's character on CSI New York trapped in the 70s like it should've been then maybe Colm Meaney would've fit for Gene Hunt but there's no way he would outweigh an action hero like O'Mara so they needed another Gene Hunt.

Edited by just watching, Jul 17, 2008 @ 12:44 PM.

TimWil

TimWil

Fanatic

Posted Jul 17, 2008 @ 6:08 PM

Keitelwould be a great choice since this show intends to be an homage to NYC movies of the 70's like THE FRENCH CONNECTION, TAXI DRIVER and THE SEVEN-UPS. In fact I think Roy Scheider would have been their first choice had he been alive.

OLucy

OLucy

Fanatic

Posted Jul 17, 2008 @ 6:28 PM

I guess I'll be the lone dissenter. As much as I like the actor behind the spoiler bars--and also liked Roy Scheider--Spoiler Boy is about 70 and Scheider was 74 when he died. If you're picturing them kicking ass in their heyday, that's all well and good, but they'd have no place in a police squadroom now. And for as much as the posters in this thread cling to the genuine and realistic, I gotta say--this is waaay out there on the reality spectrum.

Does it bother no one but me that this "rumored" actor is old enough to be the father of the actor who played Hunt in the original.

And just to better understand protocol--why are we spoiler fonting Ausiello's "leak" when all of the other speculation that has surrounded this US version has gone without black bars. Is it because we're conditioned to think of Ausiello in his old role as spoiler brat so we think we should black bar it? Because we haven't to date, and it's kind of a drag to start now. Just floating that out there. Happy to go along with the consensus of whatever y'all want to do. Again...just askin'.

Edited by OLucy, Jul 17, 2008 @ 6:38 PM.

Ginn

Ginn

Fanatic

Posted Jul 17, 2008 @ 7:30 PM

Is casting even a spoiler when a show hasn't started yet? I mean, we all know there's going to be a Gene- how is the actor playing him a spoiler? That's all assuming Ausiello is right, which I don't think he is, but what the hey.

OLucy

OLucy

Fanatic

Posted Jul 17, 2008 @ 7:57 PM

Exactly. All the previous casting was reported with relish and not "spoilered." And that's when it was a "done deal" before the shake up. So why spoiler-bar NOW?

pacejunkie

pacejunkie

Fanatic

Posted Jul 17, 2008 @ 8:34 PM

I'm okay with not spoiler fonting it. It's only a rumour anyway. I was just going along with the first person who did it to be safe.

I actually didn't realize he was that old. I revise my opinion if he really is 70.

CantThinkUpName

CantThinkUpName

Stalker

Posted Jul 17, 2008 @ 9:42 PM

Well what if he isn't Gene Hunt partner but more like Sgt. Landman in The Wire. The old grizzled cop who may join on some assignments but mostly sits behind the desk. This can make it so Imperioli is Tyler's actual partner and the age won't seem too strange. It would also further get his way from the British version, which seems smart. However, even in recent roles, Keitel still seems like he can kick ass.

Edited by CantThinkUpName, Jul 17, 2008 @ 9:43 PM.

mandigirl

mandigirl

Fanatic

Posted Jul 17, 2008 @ 10:41 PM

Just so I know how worked up to get about this, is Keitel Ausiello's spoiler, or is there just speculation that he's Ausiello's spoiler? Because from Ausiello's post, the name was in 'code'-- I hate when he does that! While I can't think of any off the top of my head, there are a number of actors who could potentially fit into the code. Do we know for sure that it's Keitel in the running?

MoreRidonkulous

MoreRidonkulous

Fanatic

Posted Jul 17, 2008 @ 10:46 PM

PROOF that the new U.S. adaption of the U.K.'s smash hit show "Life On Mars" will suck:

One bullet to Mars' chest: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0003298/
Two bullets to Mars' chest: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0032227/
Three bullets to Mars' chest: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0625858/
(Scroll down to the "Writer" sections on those pages if you don't see what I'm talking about right away. See the current writing project for each of those gentlemen... then look at what show they LAST wrote for. Then be afraid. VERY afraid.)

And if bad writers wasn't enough, toss in some bad actors from the same crap-pile:

Hollywood Reporter link {linked fixed}

This must be stopped! The evil that was "October Road" should not be allowed to spread!

Edited by MoreRidonkulous, Jul 17, 2008 @ 11:21 PM.

yrnamehere

yrnamehere

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 17, 2008 @ 11:13 PM

I can't get that Hollywood Reporter link to work, but I think I know what it says.

Some pretty boy I've never heard of named Jonathan Murphy who was on October Road has been cast as Chris Skelton.

Here is his imdb page: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1344103/

I've never seen anything he's been in, so I have no idea if he has any chops at all, but his pictures don't exactly scream I am the obvious choice to play a 1970s NYC cop. I'm just not sure that Uk Chris's naivete would translate in any kind of believable fashion.

At the time I'm writing this, the US LOM on imdb page has not been updated with this casting news.

MoreRidonkulous

MoreRidonkulous

Fanatic

Posted Jul 17, 2008 @ 11:24 PM

I can't get that Hollywood Reporter link to work, but I think I know what it says.

Some pretty boy I've never heard of named Jonathan Murphy who was on October Road has been cast as Chris Skelton.

Yes. And I've repaired the link. Thanks.

Really, the worse news is that the October Road writers will be writing LoM. They are... well, lets just say "pretentiously awful".

mandigirl

mandigirl

Fanatic

Posted Jul 17, 2008 @ 11:36 PM

Really, the worse news is that the October Road writers will be writing LoM. They are... well, lets just say "pretentiously awful".

Under normal circumstances I would agree with you. October Road was just horribly, painfully bad. And not the kind of bad that you can laugh off and joke about with your friends. The kind of bad that requires a viewing of the Teletubbies afterwards for greater intellectual stimulation.

Be that as it may, I have a tiny sliver of hope because two of the writers (Appelbaum and Nemeuc) actually wrote (and produced) one of my favorite episodes (Ryde or Die) on one of my all-time favorite shows (Fastlane).

Of course, Fastlane had every crowd-pleasing genre in the book (action, comedy, romance, buddy cop thriller) and it still managed to bomb over on Fox or should I say Fux Network under Appelbaum and Co.s wonderful leadership. So... they can't produce. But they CAN write! So... yea?

Alexandria Bay

Alexandria Bay

Stalker

Posted Jul 18, 2008 @ 8:45 AM

Not only is Keitel as old as dirt, but he's tiny. It's bad enough O'Mara is way too big and bulky to be Sam, but to give him a Gene who is too old and small to be a physical threat is wrong. Unless they're going in a totally different direction, which is what I'm still hoping for.

OLucy

OLucy

Fanatic

Posted Jul 18, 2008 @ 9:08 AM

And to answer the question upthread, yes...Keitel was pure speculation.

pacejunkie

pacejunkie

Fanatic

Posted Jul 18, 2008 @ 7:50 PM

One of the writers also wrote the screenplay for High Fidelity (although obviously most of that genius came from the book it was based on, but still).

I'm going to give them a break. October Road was a very different style of show and maybe this will be a chance for them to try something new. Speaking from my shallow side, I don't mind the eye candy that Murphy will bring to Skelton. Man he's cute, at least someone would interest me in the cast. And its good to see an actual Chris and Ray in the lineup again in place of that hybrid.

rsnation

rsnation

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 18, 2008 @ 10:39 PM

I don't mind Murphy as Chris either. He appears to be adorable from his pictures but beyond that, this indicates again that maybe the showrunners are ready and willing to take things in a different direction.

I've been complaining about the link to October Road for ages now but I've kinda gotten over it. I'm taking a wait and see attitude. I did notice in the Hollywood Reporter article that they referred to the show as being mid season. Makes sense given the fact that they're recasting the whole blasted thing but that's the first time I've seen that in print. If everyone remembers it was supposed to debut at the beginning of last season and then was bumped to a mid season replacement status and we all know what happened (or didn't happen) with that. I seriously wonder if the show will ever see the light of day.

cyberducks

cyberducks

Fanatic

Posted Jul 18, 2008 @ 11:31 PM

According to this it starts October 9.

rsnation

rsnation

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 19, 2008 @ 10:45 AM

Ummm, not exactly a whole lot of info there (unless my computer wouldn't download something). Is there really no cast listed?

Are they going to be ready for an October 9th launch if they're having to recast the whole thing I wonder? I'm assuming they won't be seeing the pilot that some of us saw (which would be a good thing in my opinion). Hey, maybe they can show the pilot and then have "Sam" wake up yet again in another alt reality with everybody looking different! Just kidding, I think.

Me again because I have no life:

Mars Mystery Altered for the US
The mystery behind why cop Sam Tyler finds himself in the past will be altered in the US remake version, reports SCI FI Wire, because the American producers thought the inconclusive ending to the British version was a bit wishy washy. "We talked to the creators of the BBC show and asked if we could change the mythology of Sam Tyler, and we got permission to do it," executive producer Josh Appelbaum said at the Television Critics Association's summer press tour. "With this mythological element to it, it's not just a cop show, and if he was ultimately just in a coma or it was all a dream, it felt a bit unsatisfying. So we made it a deeper mystery. By the second episode, Tyler writes on a blackboard the 13 options of what could have happened to him. He could be in a separate plane of reality, two worlds at the same time."

Pretty much what we already know but I thought there were a few interesting tidbits including the fact that they asked if they could change the show. I'm also annoyed that they referred to the original as "just a cop show" and that the British version's ending was "a bit wishy washy". Guess they feel like they have to hit the audience over the head.

airylli

airylli

Posted Jul 19, 2008 @ 11:02 AM

I'm also annoyed that they referred to the original as "just a cop show" and that the British version's ending was "a bit wishy washy".

Yeah, what the hell? If anything is just a cop show it was this awful pilot with the loud brawn-no-brains and the storming and no characters, but ah, well. The options and blackboard they did on Ashes to Ashes where it was quite anvilicious, but we'll see.