There Are No Stupid BB Questions (Including the Game's Rules)

• Please log in to reply

1188 replies to this topic

harrietthespy

harrietthespy

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 26, 2007 @ 5:57 PM

I hope it is ok to start this, as I think it might be useful. Some of us are new to the show, and we would love answers from the long-time viewers. I try to search for things, but sometimes a "basic" term is in a million places. My specific question: what is the "sequester" part of BB? To me, living in the the house itself is being sequestered, as they are confined to one place without access to the outside world. Except for Julie Chen...might I hope that during the "sequester" part I won't have to see her anymore?

lindseyquinn

lindseyquinn

Fanatic

Posted Jul 26, 2007 @ 6:27 PM

Hi harrietthespy! (By the way, I loved your contribution to the BB quotes thread. Mmmmm hmmm!)

After a certain point in the game, when contestants are eliminated, they don't get to go home to their families / normal lives, but instead are sequestered somewhere together, like a resort or hotel. So they're still living together, just outside of the BB house, and stripped of the chance of winning the prize. The Sequester House isn't featured prominently during the show, but we do get to see some clips of what's going on there.

I find it pretty interesting to see how the eliminated, sequestered houseguests interact once the pressure of the prize / alliances are eliminated.

I'm not sure if there's any rule / standard that applies to when eliminated guests are sent to sequester, but I'd imagine not for a couple of weeks.

SunitaBonita

SunitaBonita

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 26, 2007 @ 6:31 PM

It would be the jury, wouldn't it? So it's after the fifth eviction, I think, that evictees are sequestered.

harrietthespy

harrietthespy

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 26, 2007 @ 6:40 PM

So this means that Carol and Joe are home now? I guess that is the difference between a "live" reality show like BB and ones that are aired after completion.
This show is like crack, and for all these years I snootily-snooted to my mom, who loves it, that I wouldn't watch a show about "people sitting around a house."

Thanks for the answer! I hope this is helpful for other people too.

OK, I have another question, concerning the food. They often show people talking in a storage room full of food, but last week's competition suggested that they would all be eating only what they "won." Did TPTB then go in and remove all the things that weren't won, or is there an "honor system," which also presumably kept the slop-eaters from eating other foods.
Also, is it customary to stop forcing people to eat slop, as they seem to have done with last week's food comp? Or did they change things because one of the contestents looked like she was melting away?

Edited by harrietthespy, Jul 26, 2007 @ 6:41 PM.

Stinger97

Stinger97

Stalker

Posted Jul 26, 2007 @ 6:59 PM

Also, is it customary to stop forcing people to eat slop, as they seem to have done with last week's food comp? Or did they change things because one of the contestents looked like she was melting away?

George, one of last season's HGs, spent much of his stay in the BB house on slop. I don't recall the actual amount of time, but at least six or seven weeks. He had a few intermittent weeks where he was on regular food (when Marcellas gave him a "Slop Pass" won during a competition), but for the most part, the dude was eating the protein shake/oatmeal mix. I don't think the BB producers care much about the contestants and their hunger pains, as long as it's making good television (and no one is dying).

d. They often show people talking in a storage room full of food, but last week's competition suggested that they would all be eating only what they "won." Did TPTB then go in and remove all the things that weren't won, or is there an "honor system..."

The producers will go into the storage room and remove whatever food wasn't eaten from the previous week. So that means if there's chocolate in the storage room from the second week, but the third week the house didn't win chocolate, the producers remove it. If I recall correctly as well, food never carries over from week to week, so often HGs will try to eat whatever food is in the storage room before the end of the week when the producers take it away.

tone

tone

Fanatic

Posted Jul 26, 2007 @ 7:05 PM

It would be the jury, wouldn't it? So it's after the fifth eviction, I think, that evictees are sequestered.

The only exception to that is when BB has given a second chance and brought back a previously booted houseguest. Amy in S3, and Kaysar in S6. During those seasons, all the early evictees were in sequesterville until Amy and Kaysar were brought back in the house.

Edited by tone, Jul 26, 2007 @ 7:06 PM.

Joran

Joran

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 26, 2007 @ 8:08 PM

During those seasons, all the early evictees were in sequesterville until Amy and Kaysar were brought back in the house.

Just to correct - season 3 actually had no sequester house. Popular opinion states that the concept was introduced because of how Danielle got gypped in that season after jury people went home and saw her Diary Room confessions.

harrietthespy

harrietthespy

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 26, 2007 @ 8:21 PM

Was the MRA the least effective alliance in BB history? Have prior HGs aligned with less spectacular results?

CoolKel

CoolKel

Fanatic

Posted Jul 26, 2007 @ 9:22 PM

Was the MRA the least effective alliance in BB history? Have prior HGs aligned with less spectacular results?

Well, the Mr. and Mrs. Smith alliance never made it past week 4. MRA still has Kail, so they could tie. There's also that "Original 8" alliance on BB4 which presumably ended when they voted out Amanda (in week 1, no less).

teeracey

teeracey

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 26, 2007 @ 10:04 PM

Amanda wasn't in the original 8. She was an ex. One of the 8 were removed for throwing chairs, though.

tone

tone

Fanatic

Posted Jul 26, 2007 @ 10:17 PM

Just to correct - season 3 actually had no sequester house.

I didn't realize that, Joran. I always thought they were in sequester, but saw the Danielle's DR sessions just prior to voting.

PowerOfK

PowerOfK

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 26, 2007 @ 11:05 PM

Right... the Big Brother jury IS sequestered... I've always said that the most boring place to be (other than ON Big Brother) has to be the Big Brother jury sequester. I'm serious here. As it stands right now, there are two more evictions before sequester. Currently, the rules are that the last 7 guests evicted are sent to a "Jury house" where they continue to do absolutely nothing. Except they have no chance to win, and there are much fewer cameras (only one, used for a filler segment on Thursday evictions). All the jury members do is drink and gripe about how they were "stabbed in the back" or "screwed" by some other player. Anyway, the current jury format has been in place since season 5. Season 1 was more like International Big Brother, with the results up to the viewers. In seasons 2 and 3, there was no sequestered jury, and all evicted houseguests had a vote. Will won in season 2 because of his DR entries - they were the only place people saw his gameplan (which was to throw every competition, and seem like a weak player - while manipulating the house to evict the people he was on the block against). Danielle in season 3, however, lost because of her DR entries - she played a great game, but was hated by the jury because of her DR entries. Because of this, in season 4, CBS decided to institute the "Sequestered Jury" house. In season 4, all evicted houseguests were sequestered in the jury house. However, in Season 5, they limited it to the last 7 evicted houseguests. Anyway, part of the deal with the sequestered jury is that every week, the evicted person brings a video tape showing the competitions and ceremonies for the week (HoH comp, food/luxury comps, nomination ceremony, PoV comp and ceremony). That tape is all the Big Brother information the people on the jury get to see. All other information pertaining gameplay must come from the houseguest(s) evicted that week. At the end of the show, these 7 people vote on "Who played the best game". Of course, this is really a misnomer, because if a player is in the final 2, they must have done SOMETHING right, and there are so many ways to play BB well (and poorly) that it's not even funny. The question SHOULD be "Who's gameplan did you like the best?"

TWoP Bayliss

TWoP Bayliss

Posted Jul 26, 2007 @ 11:23 PM

This thread is a very good idea. Thank you.

Cosmocrush

Cosmocrush

Stalker

Posted Jul 27, 2007 @ 12:28 AM

Thanks for the answer! I hope this is helpful for other people too.

harrietthespy, I have searched all over online looking for an answer to this question since the last BB I watched was Season 2 but apparently never thought to ask anyone, sheesh. :) Thank you veterans for explaining the sequester/jury thing to us. I cannot imagine how horrible it would be to be evicted yet still be stuck with these people.

So when it gets to the final two, the jury decides the winner, is that correct?

Another question I have is does anyone know why there seems to be a distinct lack of alcohol in the house? I know they won some beer this week in the food comp, but don't reality show producers generally encourage alcohol fueled drama?

TWoP Bayliss

TWoP Bayliss

Posted Jul 27, 2007 @ 1:20 AM

They drink CONSTANTLY. We just don't see it on-air. Two nights ago the entire Sho2 broadcast was basically a game of quarters with revolving players. That huge round dinner table was almost entirely covered in beercans by 10 CST/8pm PST.

ETA: Jessica and Jameka were both adorable throughout, as per usual. Speaking of things we don't see.

Edited by TWoP Bayliss, Jul 27, 2007 @ 1:20 AM.

AVorlon

AVorlon

Fanatic

Posted Jul 27, 2007 @ 3:06 AM

Just wanted to add that being in sequester isn't all THAT bad, since they still receive a weekly stipend, and are usually housed in a resort-like house in Mexico. Last year there was a cyclone down there, so they moved them back to L.A., but still, it's not exactly purgatory.

teeracey

teeracey

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 27, 2007 @ 3:21 AM

They also have limited, monitored phone calls to family, plus unlimited booze (there have been many a story).

SceneStealer

SceneStealer

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 27, 2007 @ 7:55 AM

Can someone please explain the concept of the "backdoor strategy"? I've tried Wikipedia/Google, but I get a lot of conflicting info, including something that says it can't be done anymore because of changes in the rules. That doesn't make sense to me at all since people are still talking about backdooring other people in the current threads.

Ben Stilwell

Ben Stilwell

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 27, 2007 @ 8:20 AM

Backdooring is still possible.

Its the act of putting two people up for nomination knowing that one will likely get taken off with POV. Then nominating the actual target for eviction. The reason you do this is to prevent the actual target from being able to save themselves in the POV competition.

Its a little more difficult now because 3 POV competitors are basically random.

jjlucash

jjlucash

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 27, 2007 @ 9:13 AM

Can someone please explain the concept of the "backdoor strategy"? I've tried Wikipedia/Google, but I get a lot of conflicting info, including something that says it can't be done anymore because of changes in the rules. That doesn't make sense to me at all since people are still talking about backdooring other people in the current threads.

Backdooring is still possible.

Its the act of putting two people up for nomination knowing that one will likely get taken off with POV. Then nominating the actual target for eviction. The reason you do this is to prevent the actual target from being able to save themselves in the POV competition.

Its a little more difficult now because 3 POV competitors are basically random.

And this is where the ever-popular "pawns" come in. ;)

whip1

whip1

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 27, 2007 @ 10:46 AM

Do they get money for making it to the sequester house? Like, $10,000 for the first person there, $20,000 for the next, etc. Is there any reward for making it further in the game?

NYGirl

NYGirl

Fanatic

Posted Jul 27, 2007 @ 11:04 AM

I think they get a weekly stipend if they make it to sequester. I remember someone just trying to make it to the house to pay off her bills. I think (correct me if I'm wrong) it was somewhere around $600 a week if I recall correctly.

Roark13579

Roark13579

Fanatic

Posted Jul 27, 2007 @ 11:05 AM

There's also that "Original 8" alliance on BB4 which presumably ended when they voted out Amanda (in week 1, no less).

Amanda wasn't part of the Original 8; her ex Scott was. (He was kicked out in the first week for talking like Dick and throwing chairs around in an empty room.) That alliance was in pieces and evicting its own members by the third week, when Alison and her lapdog Nathan went independent and Dana and Justin started rubbing up on each other. Most of them were never that dedicated to it anyway, because eight is way too many in the first place, especially when they have nothing more in common than being in a room together for ten extra minutes.

harrietthespy

harrietthespy

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 27, 2007 @ 11:33 AM

I have been wondering about some of the "rules" of the house. I have the impression that an announcement is made in the morning to wake the HGs up, but it seems like it is OK if they nap all day. Besides the singing ban (which I think is funny), what are some other "rules" of living in the house?

PowerOfK

PowerOfK

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 27, 2007 @ 11:42 AM

No singing, no reading (except for the Bible or other religious texts), no talking about people outside of the house who haven't signed a release, no contact with the outside world (unless won in an America's Choice poll or extenuating circumstances, such as 9/11). That's all I know.

ChillinTheMost

ChillinTheMost

Fanatic

Posted Jul 27, 2007 @ 11:46 AM

PowerofK, thanks for your sequester explanation. I have a question, that probably isn't here or there...

Were the 2nd and 3rd seasons of Big Brother before or after Survivor? I thought that Survivor kind of started the reality show craze, but I could be wrong. The reason I ask is, I thought Survivor long ago figured out that if you allow voting contestants to see private interviews it would influence their decision, and, more importantly, contestants would learn to not really say anything in the confessionals/private interviews so as not to be penalized by them later, and the PTB would thereby lose an entertaining portion of their show. I'm surprised that Big Brother seemed to ignore this basic rule of reality television.

Edited by ChillinTheMost, Jul 27, 2007 @ 11:47 AM.

Nich337

Nich337

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 27, 2007 @ 11:57 AM

BB1 aired at the same time as the first Survivor, though obviously that was a different animal entirely. BB2 aired in summer of 2001, and by then Survivor 2 had finished its run; by the time they started sequestering the jury (BB4), Survivor had already done six seasons. I guess they figured that since letting jurors out in the world didn't really hurt them in BB2, so they didn't bother changing it for BB3; it was after Danielle got "robbed" that they began sequestering, finally understanding that:

if you allow voting contestants to see private interviews it would influence their decision, and, more importantly, contestants would learn to not really say anything in the confessionals/private interviews so as not to be penalized by them later, and the PTB would thereby lose an entertaining portion of their show

I think they realized people would try to avoid Danielle's fate, and never say a mean thing about anybody, use the DR sessions to suck up, etc., and changed the game accordingly. The thing is, some people, like Will & Roddy understood how to use the Diary Room to their advantage (Will was entertainingly devious, Roddy was diplomatic), so I don't think Danielle had any excuse.

PowerOfK

PowerOfK

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 27, 2007 @ 12:07 PM

Survivor 1 and Big Brother 1 aired pretty much concurrently in the summer of 2000, however, Survivor 1 started about a month before Big Brother 1.

The original runs were: Survivor 1 - May 31 to August 23, 2000 (filmed March 13 - April 20, 2000)
Big Brother 1 - July 5 to September 29, 2000

These airdates are courtesy of wikipedia. And remember, Big Brother 1 used the international Big Brother setup, in which each member of the house nominates 2 people in the Diary Room and the viewing public votes someone out. This format is incredibly popular in Europe (especially the UK and Germany) and Australia, but flopped miserably in the United States.

Rillion

Rillion

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 27, 2007 @ 12:19 PM

I thought that Survivor kind of started the reality show craze, but I could be wrong.

The original runs were: Survivor 1 - May 31 to August 23, 2000 (filmed March 13 - April 20, 2000)

Just for the record, The Real World debuted in 1992. As far as I know, it was the first "Let's put a bunch of strangers together and video tape them constantly and distill/edit it into a show" type thing. I loved it, but boy, it drove my mother crazy. ;-)

(edited for typo)

Edited by Rillion, Jul 27, 2007 @ 12:20 PM.

blackwing

blackwing

Stalker

Posted Jul 27, 2007 @ 12:26 PM

The Real World might be considered a reality show, but really it was Survivor that is the grandfather of all of the competitive reality shows. I think part of the reason why Big Brother Classic failed so miserably is because Survivor Classic was such a huge hit. After watching Survivor, who really wanted to see a bunch of boring people sitting around in a house doing boring things like putting together dominoes?

I think that the voting scheme of Survivor coupled with the poor interest in Big Brother influenced the changes in voting for Big Brother 2. I remember being quite shocked when they announced that Big Brother 2 was returning, because it had been such a failure.

Has anyone from BB ever gone on the record as to saying that Danielle lost because of the Diary Room, and that's why the changes were made for Season 4? I think Julie might have said that she should have won. But I think Danielle would have lost even without her DR clips. The only people who were negatively influenced by those were Amy and Marcellas, I thought. A lot of the others were already predisposed to vote for Lisa because of the Eric/Roddy connection.