The Tour: Coming to a City Near You

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

2086 replies to this topic

pochaco

pochaco

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 31, 2011 @ 12:11 PM

Went to the San Jose show last night. It was awesome! And flew by really fast in comparison to previous years. I think eliminating the intros to each dance was the best decision that they made. No more forced dialogue and awkward emceeing (sp??) made it flow quite nicely. Sasha and Melanie did held the mic early on in the show, but that went by quickly and the crowd did love seeing those two interact.

Show started at just a tad after 7pm, ended around 9:40pm. There were no Halloween references at all during the show. No outside costumes, no hi-jinks. Business as usual which was a little disappointing considering it was Halloween eve.

Personally I was most impressed by Jess. He was my favorite this season and seeing him live lived up to my expectations. During his solo he egged on a (random) girl from the first row to give him a hug and he gave her a kiss on the cheek. He really does know how to work a crowd and was one of the best soloist of the group.

Having gone with friends who did not watch the season, they were a little perplexed when I mentioned that Melanie was the winner. They were not impressed with her during the first half of the show, but realized during her solo (late in the show) why she had won. Her musicality during her solo was amazing.

Maybe it's because Caitlynn had two numbers with Marko that resembled his number with Allison, but I'm calling it. With maturity, Caitlynn has potential to grow into an extraordinary dancer just the way Allison has. Hopefully SYTYCD will still be around by the time that happens so we can witness it.

I enjoyed Ricky in hip hop more than in contemporary. I enjoyed Nick most when he was in his tapper element (was not impressed with him in group numbers unfortunately). Sasha is in a league of her own. Her solo and the wall routine left me in awe. And I loved that Missy got to do a ton considering her early oust and lack of coverage (she was in almost all of the group numbers, had a solo, and a duet with Marko that had a sexy kiss in it.) Loved Missy's quality of movement the most compared to the other girls, especially in the XR2 routine. In all, I can see her having a great career after this.

I haven't read much about the tour, but does Tadd dance at all during his solos? During our stop, he did a single arm handstand for an extended period of time, but other than that he just ran around the stage egging the audience on. Towards the end he took off his shirt, made like he was going to throw it in the audience, but instead used the shirt to pat his armpits dry. My friends thought it was hilarious, but sometimes I just don't know what to make of that guy!

Cynthia187

Cynthia187

Stalker

Posted Oct 31, 2011 @ 3:15 PM

Sorry for my late report in. The Stockton show was freaking awesome. I'm just miffed that the venue didn't have any 8x10 Jess photos for sale.

This show was far better than any of the past season shows. The transitions were great and I wasn't even bored for one second. It was just non-stop entertainment.

My favorite Jess was very, very busy. I was a bit disappointed that he didn't do his Celeste Lear piece, but the amount of time he was on stage more than made up for it.

I just checked idf and found it was the Stockton show that had the Halloween theme

Jess was Super Mario
Nick was a banana (which looked like a giant penis). LOL
Sasha was Gumby.

Edited by Cynthia187, Oct 31, 2011 @ 3:18 PM.

IHeartDVR

IHeartDVR

Fanatic

Posted Oct 31, 2011 @ 3:18 PM

I haven't read much about the tour, but does Tadd dance at all during his solos? During our stop, he did a single arm handstand for an extended period of time, but other than that he just ran around the stage egging the audience on. Towards the end he took off his shirt, made like he was going to throw it in the audience, but instead used the shirt to pat his armpits dry. My friends thought it was hilarious, but sometimes I just don't know what to make of that guy!

He did something similiar at the LA show, except instead of patting his armpits he just pretended to be stripping off the shirt and then wagged his finger like "no no" at the audience. Definitely a great showman, but not much actual dance content in his solo.

Having gone with friends who did not watch the season, they were a little perplexed when I mentioned that Melanie was the winner. They were not impressed with her during the first half of the show, but realized during her solo (late in the show) why she had won. Her musicality during her solo was amazing

The husband, who is a casual viewer at best, had the same reaction. He didn't find her impressive in group routines or ones where she was playing a sex kitten (i.e. w/Tadd and Jess), but thought she shined in her solo and lyrical contemporary duets. The solo was indeed stellar.

Maybe it's because Caitlynn had two numbers with Marko that resembled his number with Allison, but I'm calling it. With maturity, Caitlynn has potential to grow into an extraordinary dancer just the way Allison has. Hopefully SYTYCD will still be around by the time that happens so we can witness it.

I agree that she will be much better with more maturity, although of the female solos hers was the absolute worst. All of the other girls were so much more inventive and electric, including Jordan who was probably my least favorite of all of the Top 10 girls. Sasha and Melanie have their own unique voices, they know who they are, Missy and Jordan have that aggressive attack, and Clarice simply had well thought out choreography, Caitlynn had a chair. I finally understood what Nigel meant when he suggested that Caitlynn has yet to find her aesthetic or doesn't have enough experience to make her work stand out...yet.

ETA: ITA, that Missy will have a great career. Seeing how well she did in the tour just makes me sadder than I already was that she was voted off early. She did Chelsie justice in ballroom with Marko and gave one of my favorite solos of the night.

Edited by IHeartDVR, Oct 31, 2011 @ 3:21 PM.

Tigeriff

Tigeriff

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 1, 2011 @ 10:41 PM

Sorry for my late report in. The Stockton show was freaking awesome

Cynthia187, I read that the guys did Pop, Drop, and Roll dressed in the girls' geisha costumes. You wouldn't happen to have video of that, would you? :) Not much from that venue has shown up on YouTube, or at least I haven't been able to find anything but the finale in costumes.

Here is a review of one of the tour stops. The reviewer didn't seem as happy with the "hurry-up" format of the show. I've heard mostly positive on that aspect of the tour:
Season 8 tour

Cynthia187

Cynthia187

Stalker

Posted Nov 1, 2011 @ 11:41 PM

Cynthia187, I read that the guys did Pop, Drop, and Roll dressed in the girls' geisha costumes. You wouldn't happen to have video of that, would you? :)

No, I did not. I have a crappy iphone 3GS and none of my pictures came out:( The venue did not allow recording devices other than phones. If someone was able to sneak a camera in, I hope the video gets posted on youtube.

Edited by Cynthia187, Nov 1, 2011 @ 11:41 PM.

pochaco

pochaco

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 23, 2012 @ 5:16 PM

Presale tickets went on sale today for our area. For several years, the local venue was an arena that held over 17,000 seats. This year, it is at a theater that has a capacity of a little over 3,000. Wonder why they're scaling back?

nottadancer

nottadancer

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 29, 2012 @ 9:39 PM

totally scaled back, no Detroit show with a local boy, Will, on the tour. Closes show in Windsor Ont. just across the river from Detroit, but in a small venue. Its a bitch getting across the bridge into Canada won't be going this year.

romantic idiot

romantic idiot

Stalker

• Interests:Urban fantasy and paranormal romance, Buffy, Angel, Firefly, VM, FNL, Friends, MASH, Avatar, House, Farscape, Roswell, Glee, True Blood, Community, P&R, 30 Rock, The Good Wife, Boss, Downton Abbey, Coupling, old SYTYCD, Leverage, White Collar, Jonathan Groff, mutton, chicken and eggs.

Posted Sep 1, 2012 @ 11:54 AM

Maybe they are decreasing the sze of the tour because I cant think of any real tourwurthy dances this year. They are good but unsurprising and blah for the most part.

forensicshick

forensicshick

Fanatic

Posted Oct 4, 2012 @ 12:07 PM

Has anyone heard anything about if they are bring along alternates this tour and if so, who they are?

Grit99

Grit99

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 4, 2012 @ 2:59 PM

Matthew and Amelia are definitely included on the tour.

ripa27

ripa27

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 4, 2012 @ 7:17 PM

According to Alex Wong, no all-stars were asked to join the tour. Should be interesting to see which contestants are chosen as the replacements for those routines. A few of my predictions...

Twitch - Cyrus
Alex - Chehon or Cole
Nick/Jakob - Matthew
Ade - Will
Brandon - George
Anya - Witney/Lindsay obviously

I'm having a much harder time figuring out who would best replace Allison, Comfort and Kathryn in their routines. I actually think Amelia doing the Bjork number with Cole could be really interesting.

forensicshick

forensicshick

Fanatic

Posted Oct 4, 2012 @ 7:22 PM

Matthew and Amelia are definitely included on the tour.

That is great news! I wanted to see the Lovecats and Titanic numbers live.

allemand

allemand

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 26, 2012 @ 3:18 PM

The tour started this week. Has anybody seen it yet? I'm eager for reports.

imthatguy

imthatguy

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 26, 2012 @ 11:22 PM

There's a tour thread on IDF, with links to some video and reviews by members there. Too many links for me to bring over, though.

allemand

allemand

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 27, 2012 @ 12:32 AM

Thanks!

holliesue

holliesue

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 3, 2012 @ 1:30 PM

I went to the Milwaukee show last night. Chehon came on stage after the opening number and said their tour bus had looked like the scene from Bridesmaids where they're trying on dresses and all get sick. :-/ Apparently they almost had to cancel the show, but they scrambled and put something together anyway. Amelia & Cole were out completely; the rest of them appeared but didn't do all the normal routines. Sounds like Chehon and Witney were the only ones out of the bunch who were completely healthy. It was still a fantastic show, but it wasn't the same without some of the routines I was expecting and with subs for Cole and Amelia in other pieces.

allemand

allemand

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 4, 2012 @ 1:26 PM

Pretty much the same deal in Minneapolis, except that the only one out completely was Lindsay. Cole was in the opening and a few numbers in the second half. Amelia and Matthew really got a workout.