Spoilers & Discussion: The Judges Said What?!

• Please log in to reply

12756 replies to this topic

LostLostLost

LostLostLost

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 30, 2013 @ 12:41 PM

Twitch again? And I love Robert, but...for the finale?

I'm sure Melinda is not the first one that came to everyone's mind,..... Technically, she did place 8th her season.

Melinda dancing to Sara Bareilles:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=zDyiCxZCyi0

Melinda's final DFYL:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=jDSaDMwvMTo

Oof! She certainly wouldn't be my first choice! What I remember about her were her odd, stalkerish stares at the judges while she performed. And looking at those two videos, plus others I've seen her do in the past, I'm underwhelmed. Her body type may fit Aaron, but her style is at odds with it. She has that stereotypical tapper's positioning of the arms and hands, as if she's keeping herself afloat in water. It was my only complaint about season 8's Nick, who dog-paddled while Jess did all kinds of interesting things with his torso, arms, and hands. Aaron also uses head, neck, and whole body movement, which is why I really enjoyed his solo. With Melinda, there is very little interesting going on beyond the feet.

I don't know why they wouldn't take advantage of Jasmine and Aaron's last pairing to let them do a tap number together. Even more critical, I hope they bring in a choreographer with a Broadway sense of utilizing tap, so that it's more than just a side by side battle of the feet, which we've already seen at the top 20 intro. If that were to happen, there would be no need for Melinda to even be there, because nothing I've seen from her would make me want to watch her instead of him. I'm hoping for a choreographer  with a Gene Kelly-ish sense of creating interest with staging and creative movement, not just the isolated skill of tap.

allemand

allemand

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 30, 2013 @ 4:44 PM

Robert is actually pretty tall.  He was the biggest guy in his season.  When he danced with Mark, they were pretty well-matched, and he towered over D-trix in their hip hop.  He's at least as tall as Twitch.  

Tigeriff

Tigeriff

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 30, 2013 @ 5:46 PM

I would have much preferred Ellenore as a tap all star, if they are determined not to let Jasmine and Aaron pair up for that. The Melinda news is disappointing.

soulkissage

soulkissage

Fanatic

Posted Aug 30, 2013 @ 6:24 PM

Aaron actually considers himself a hoofer like Melinda is but he doesn't just want to use his legs and feet. He wants to be a more rounded dancer. I actually consider Melinda closer to a musician to be honest. But Melinda technically made it top 9 so she's as qualified as Alex to be an All star.

I'm shocked they just didn't have Alex do it actually. They were giving him a seasons journey so why not tap? Tap was his first love and he was in Newsies so has recently tapped. 

crowceilidh

crowceilidh

Fanatic

Posted Aug 30, 2013 @ 11:47 PM

Dmitry Chaplin @dmitry_ch 27m

Crazy week, had to come back to LA! Make sure you watch @DANCEonFOX this coming Tuesday to catch some more of my choreo ;)

anothermi

anothermi

Fanatic

Posted Sep 3, 2013 @ 5:42 PM

So, here are some of the people confirmed to be choreographing tonight. 

Ray Leeper, Stacey Tookey, Travis Wall AND Anthony Morigerato on SYTYCD tonight!! Go NUVO!

• Anthony choreographed the Meet the Top 20 tap number, so I guess he's working with Aaron & Melinda

I still suspect Mark Kanemura will be too. I posted a link to his most recent tweet in his thread. It's still pretty cryptic, but typically Mark!

Edited by anothermi, Sep 3, 2013 @ 5:52 PM.

ripa27

ripa27

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 3, 2013 @ 5:47 PM

I can't see any other reason why Mark would be backstage with hair and makeup at this hour. It sure looks like he's choreographing (maybe the two girls?).