Spoilers & Discussion: The Judges Said What?!

• Please log in to reply

12756 replies to this topic

geeweeze

geeweeze

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 23, 2013 @ 5:21 PM

They just had a cha-cha though, so I am thinking maybe samba for Fik-Shun. It would be interesting to see how he does with that. We haven't had a foxtrot yet though, so just thinking about the routines that haven't been performed yet, my guess would be foxtrot. I am just not sure the producers would allow FikShun to do a style that is such a non-starter with fans.

I would be very happy to see Paul and Hayley do a lovely contemporary, or perhaps Broadway.

Thirteenthjuror

Thirteenthjuror

Fanatic

Posted Aug 23, 2013 @ 5:35 PM

geeweeze, they could give him a Foxtrot since next week won't matter with voting or he may not have made the top 4 anyway. I'm leaning towards maybe a Samba.

JilliBean

JilliBean

Fanatic

Posted Aug 24, 2013 @ 6:44 AM

I'm wondering where Lauren is at this point.  I could swear that LoFro was among the names of All Stars this year and even did upfront interviews?  I guess there's still the Top 4 week is usually various combinations of the final 4 and maybe reprise of judges favorites on the finale.  That doesn't leave much room after the Top 6 for new All Stars to be used.

I had the same thought. They definitely advertised her as an all-star, and so far, in terms of contemporary/jazz, they've used Kathryn once (I know there's speculation that this week she'll be doing Bollywood), Allison once, and now Melanie twice (assuming that's what she'll be doing for top six). I feel a bit jilted on Lauren's behalf, as she's one of my favorites. I wonder if they don't want to pair her with Aaron due to the height differential. Either way, if I were her, I would feel pretty annoyed if I'd done all the press for all-stars this season and then didn't actually ever make it to the show. She deserves better, IMO. I AM excited to see Joshua, though. 

MrSarahWalker

MrSarahWalker

Fanatic

Posted Aug 24, 2013 @ 1:02 PM

I'm guessing we won't see Lauren now since school is starting back up.

elixir0219

elixir0219

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 26, 2013 @ 12:48 PM

Sean Cheeseman group routine? https://mobile.twitt...me=cheesmansean

geeweeze

geeweeze

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 26, 2013 @ 1:15 PM

Yep I posted that pic in the Speculation thread - seems like! Hopefully not another jazz jazz. Broadway or Afro Jazz?

crowceilidh

crowceilidh

Fanatic

Posted Aug 26, 2013 @ 5:39 PM

jonathan roberts @JonatRoberts 3h

Hello twitter land! Been awhile. I'm excited to be choreographing on SYTYCD tomorrow! Hope you enjoy it :)

Zuleikha

Zuleikha

Fanatic

Posted Aug 26, 2013 @ 9:25 PM

Yay, standard dance! Hopefully not a Viennese Waltz since we've had enough of those.

redrover1980

redrover1980

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 26, 2013 @ 9:34 PM

Supposedly Hayley has Joshua and Paul for her two dances. I'm hoping Paul/Hayley will get a Broadway number. I think the group routine will probably be Afro-Jazz.

geeweeze

geeweeze

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 26, 2013 @ 10:50 PM

Yay, standard dance! Hopefully not a Viennese Waltz since we've had enough of those.

Oh interesting. OK so maybe FikShun IS dancing a Foxtrot with Witney.

If Hayley has Joshua, I am thinking now about which All-Star looks best height-wise with the remaining girls. How tall is Alex? Neil? I guess it could go either/or with Jasmine and Amy. Amy will get Jazz and Jasmine contemporary, but not sure with which guy.

Edited by geeweeze, Aug 27, 2013 @ 5:51 AM.

BriaSamba07

BriaSamba07

Just Tuned In

Posted Aug 27, 2013 @ 1:25 AM

I think Neil is with Jasmine and Alex is with Amy. Alex said on twitter that the routine that he's dancing is a puffer. I'm guessing that means he has Jazz, possibly Afro Jazz with Amy.

That leaves Neil and Jasmine. I really hope they're dancing together!  

FrogLenzen

FrogLenzen

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 27, 2013 @ 1:40 PM

Joshua has either Amy or Hayley.

Kathryn stated that she is not dancing Bollywood with Paul.

Exactly one of the All-Stars will be dancing outside his/her genre.

tredder

tredder

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 27, 2013 @ 7:21 PM

Doesn't Jonathan Roberts also choreograph Latin Ballroom? I'd love to see a mambo, although I guess that would be pretty ambitious. Not every couple can be Benji and Heidi.

I'm curious about the statement that only one of the All-Stars will be dancing outside genre. Technically speaking, Alex's genre is ballet, but I guess they may be calling him contempo/jazz, or even contempo/jazz/broadway. Same for Neil, Melanie and Kathryn, actually. Only Joshua and Witney are genre-specific. So, by those criteria, either Neil, Alex, Melanie or Kathryn would have to be doing something like Afro-Jazz, Bollywood, or Disco. Do we know who is choreographing besides Sean C. and Jonathan? I just read that Sonya's tied up in NY, so she won't be around for the remainder of the season.

FrogLenzen

FrogLenzen

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 28, 2013 @ 3:47 PM

According to mjsbigblog:

Paula Abdul will return to judge the So You Think You Can Dance final next week. Olympic gold medalist, Gabby Douglas, will join her...!

Also, next week’s all-stars will be ComfortRobertMelinda and tWitch

I'm not sure how useful Gabby Douglas will be as a judge, but IMO she's an absolute goddess. My screensaver on my computer is literally images back and forth between SYTYCD dancers and Gabby.

I think it's a no-brainer that the couples will be Comfort/Fik-Shun, Robert/Amy, tWitch/Jasmine, and Aaron/Melinda. A TAP DUET!!! I'm sure Melinda is not the first one that came to everyone's mind, but I think she's an incredible artist and her body type would probably complement Aaron's. Technically, she did place 8th her season.

Melinda dancing to Sara Bareilles:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=zDyiCxZCyi0

Melinda's final DFYL:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=jDSaDMwvMTo

Edited by FrogLenzen, Aug 28, 2013 @ 3:54 PM.

MrSarahWalker

MrSarahWalker

Fanatic

Posted Aug 28, 2013 @ 3:51 PM

That has to be the most underwhelming group of All-stars I've ever seen.  Nevermind that its for the finale.  Twitch is the only one I'd use and I'd pair him with Fik-Shun.  I guess Melinda is there by default since you'd want a tapper with Aaron to showcase his specialty.  I like Robert and Comfort just fine but this is just underwhelming for me.  If the show comes back they need to refresh the all stars with people we haven't seen be all stars or people who have only done it once or twice.

Thirteenthjuror

Thirteenthjuror

Fanatic

Posted Aug 28, 2013 @ 4:16 PM

MrSarahWalker, I couldn't agree with you more. When I saw that list, all I could say was really? That's the best they could do? This is top 4. Very underwhelming.

I think it's a no-brainer that the couples will be Comfort/Fik-Shun, Robert/Amy, tWitch/Jasmine, and Aaron/Melinda.

Please no. Just no. We just saw them together. I'm also tired with them making Jasmine the Hip Hop queen. If they're going to pair her with anyone let it be Robert. If they must, put her with Comfort. I would much rather see Fik-Shun with Twitch. I think the Aaron/Melinda pairing is spot on. I wish they would've brought back Nick for him.

FrogLenzen

FrogLenzen

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 28, 2013 @ 4:34 PM

Just be thankful it's not Jasmine/Glitch. Come to think of it, this is the first time where there were no All-Stars from the previous season.

tredder

tredder

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 28, 2013 @ 5:05 PM

I doubt they'll put Jasmine with Twitch again. Robert's tall enough to partner her, isn't he?

Given this group of All-Stars, here's my wish list, with two dances for each All-Star:

Twitch and Aaron - Stepping (Manly Men!)

Melinda and Aaron - Tap

Comfort and Amy - Something other than standard hip hop

Twitch and Amy - hard to picture, frankly... Krump would be amusing, though :)

Robert and Jasmine - Contemporary

Melinda and Jasmine - Broadway

Robert and Fik-Shun - Jazz

Comfort and Fik-Shun - hip hop

I honestly don't want to see this particular final four group dance with each other... I think it would look like the attack of the giants on the tiny, smiley people. Really good choreographers could make the size disparities work, but probably not in five hours.

RachelKM

RachelKM

Fanatic

Posted Aug 28, 2013 @ 6:59 PM

I honestly don't want to see this particular final four group dance with each other... I think it would look like the attack of the giants on the tiny, smiley people. Really good choreographers could make the size disparities work, but probably not in five hours.

Thank you for this.  It's the first thing that has made me smile about the finale since Paul's elimination. 

Edited by RachelKM, Aug 28, 2013 @ 8:04 PM.

geeweeze

geeweeze

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 28, 2013 @ 7:59 PM

deleted

Edited by geeweeze, Aug 28, 2013 @ 8:04 PM.

Bridget Wilde

Bridget Wilde

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 28, 2013 @ 8:58 PM

I'm not sure how tall Robert is, but I am the same height as Jasmine and when I met him he seemed short. Though she could toss him around a bit.

Maybe they could do a Hobbit-themed group dance. Hobbits & elves. Or trolls. Fik-shun could totes pull off the physical acting for Gollum. Heck, make Jasmine and Aaron play Smaug. (This idea shows why I should never, ever run a dance company.)

Thirteenthjuror

Thirteenthjuror

Fanatic

Posted Aug 28, 2013 @ 9:50 PM

Bridget Wilde, I think Tyce would love your ideas! Let's just hope he doesn't do the group dance. He might very well steal your idea. I'm sure we'll be treated to yet another "Bullies" themed dance when they pair these 4 up. We already saw how they had Jasmine and Aaron abusing Amy and Tucker in that Bully dance earlier this season. These choreographers aren't very creative anymore. I bet money Jasmine will be lifting some people next week!

Just be thankful it's not Jasmine/Glitch. Come to think of it, this is the first time where there were no All-Stars from the previous season.

I would've bet money at the beginning of the season that this would happen. I wonder what stopped them from pulling the Cyrus "I broke your heart, so let's dance it out!" trigger? We never even got a mention of him from Nigel, Mary, guest judge or Jasmine about him in the top 20. I'm so thankful for that. Now if only she could win and one up him.

tredder

tredder

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 28, 2013 @ 10:25 PM

Maybe that really good-looking guy they kept showing cheering Jasmine on is a new boyfriend? That might put an end to the whole "Cyrus broke her heart" thing.

Do we know who is choreographing next week? It seems likely to be hip hop-heavy. 

Thirteenthjuror

Thirteenthjuror

Fanatic

Posted Aug 28, 2013 @ 11:00 PM

That's just a friend of hers in the Atlanta dance community. He along with the female sitting next to him were her friends supporting her from Atlanta.

I haven't heard any spoilers about who's choreographing, but I can imagine we'll see Mandy, Stacey, Chris Scott, NappyTabs and hopefully not Tyce.

Edited by Thirteenthjuror, Aug 28, 2013 @ 11:00 PM.

anothermi

anothermi

Fanatic

Posted Aug 28, 2013 @ 11:09 PM

Hmmmm. I just posted a tweet from Mark (in his thread) dated Aug. 26 that sounds suspiciously like he's creating something.  Dunno, the combo of the reference to the work song from the 7 dwarves and going "back into my head" has me thinking they may have asked him back.  That would be very interesting.  And IF he was asked to choreograph - who would it be for?  

edited to add link. 

Edited by anothermi, Aug 29, 2013 @ 12:20 AM.

Thirteenthjuror

Thirteenthjuror

Fanatic

Posted Aug 29, 2013 @ 12:24 AM

I hope he is asked back next week. I'm blah on the AS, so at least give us that.

The Deej

The Deej

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 29, 2013 @ 1:17 PM

Adam Shankman probably won't be available as Step Up 5 is currently in prep to start shooting on Sept 19th

elixir0219

elixir0219

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 29, 2013 @ 5:22 PM

Come to think of it, this is the first time where there were no All-Stars from the previous season.

Witney

extramile

extramile

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 29, 2013 @ 9:08 PM

That has to be the most underwhelming group of All-stars I've ever seen.  Nevermind that its for the finale.  Twitch is the only one I'd use and I'd pair him with Fik-Shun.

Maybe not underwhelmed but I am not too excited about them either.  I think the pairing I most look forward to is Aaron/Melinda and I am not even into tap, but at least they would both be amazing in it.

I guess the pairings will be Fik-shun/Comfort and Jasmine/Twitch but I think Fik-shun/Twitch and Jasmine/Comfort would make better pairings.  Why hip-hop all star for Jasmine anyway?  I want to see someone like Will (S4) paired up with her.

Amy/Robert, I hope it is a 'dark' jazz.  I prefer Robert in jazz than contemporary. 

So one dance with all star, and 3 more dances with the other contestants?  Bring on the ballroom disasters!  Haha.

bparhad

bparhad

Stalker

Posted Aug 30, 2013 @ 5:46 AM

I guess the pairings will be Fik-shun/Comfort and Jasmine/Twitch but I think Fik-shun/Twitch and Jasmine/Comfort would make better pairings.

I would actually love Fik-shun/Twitch - maybe that can happen since Jasmine just had Twitch? A girl can dream, right?

I'd rather see a Jasmine/Robert pairing too, but I don't think there's any way they'd give Twitch to Amy - he'd make her look like a little kid.