5-5: "Semifinals #1" 2007.07.18 (recap)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

86 replies to this topic

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Jul 18, 2007 @ 9:07 PM

Anybody else surprised Doug Benson made it to the Final 10? Anybody? Yeah...me neither.

It's not that I hate Benson...anybody who posts on these forums can't be the spawn of the devil or somesuch. It's just after Ant and Bil Dwyer, I just knew Benson would make the cut. It sucks that out of sixteen comics performing (randomly assigned?), the odds of making the finals dip because of such an automatic entry. Or maybe I'm just cynical like that.

Wish I could point out comics, but I've been ambivalent the whole season. So I haven't generated any love or hatred toward Dante...um...the nice black lady from London with the Nigerian mum...the black guy with the kickass impression of his grandfather...and the lady from Toronto. Actually, that last one kinda reminds me of that "Mommy! Mommy! Mommy!" lady from S2 and S3. It's not just a weight thing...it just seems like her switch is stuck in the "on" position, and it gets annoying.

Bellamy keeps talking about the next round...maybe the house has been shut down? Here's hoping.

Edited by Lantern7, Jul 18, 2007 @ 9:13 PM.

Extra Monkey

Extra Monkey

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 18, 2007 @ 9:34 PM

Thought several people who didn't make it were funnier than Debra from Canada. Another overly jolly fat girl. Never learned names either. Liked the skinny guy in blue shirt with glasses. Came in third in fight. Liked the black guy with water bottle. Stabbing people could take all night. John Cap-somethingorother. Seemed to be missing his hat. Not as funny this time, but know he could do better. If Ralph is still doing grandpa next time, he should be out (Unless his grandpa is Vietnamese -Dat). Gina (Yina?) should get that neck growth removed. Very distracting.

mumbles

mumbles

Fanatic

Posted Jul 18, 2007 @ 9:59 PM

Was part of Dante's shtick cut? Why would a Wizard of Oz routine not involve the lion?

lindseyquinn

lindseyquinn

Fanatic

• Interests:binder clips (large), Body Pump (minus lunges), coffee, the color wheel, crafting, crosswords, design, diet soda, DIY, Edward Gorey, Google Reader, elliptical machines, ephemera, exfoliation, Hello Kitty, the hot glue gun, kawaii, kittens (most especially Zooey Grace), Locks of Love, Martha Stewart, McSweeney’s, Milton Glaser, mockery, naps, Readymade, Scrabble, silhouettes, sushi, This American Life, TV, TWoP, Urban Decay, worry dolls, writing, yarn, yoga, 42, '80s night

Posted Jul 18, 2007 @ 10:02 PM

Sabrina Matthews was robbed.

ketchuplover

ketchuplover

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 18, 2007 @ 10:55 PM

Why were the judges there? They just sat there like a bump on a log.

Bentley

Bentley

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 18, 2007 @ 10:56 PM

I was embarrassed for the Brits tonight. They were so clownish and unfunny it was painful to watch. What happened to all those strong auditions?

I missed the beginning of the show. If anyone could pass along some of Dante's jokes I would appreciate it.

Granted I came in 30 minutes late but the only highlight for me was the black man who did an impression of his grandfather. He put those glasses on and he became an old man. I felt like I knew that old man, that's how good it was.

Missed Gina Yashere as well. Does everyone think she did well enough to earn a spot?

If that was John Caparulo I saw left standing in the losers' group, he got robbed.

Tallulah2

Tallulah2

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 18, 2007 @ 11:36 PM

It truly sucks that they're narrowing it down to 5 out of the 15/16 tonight. It feels too soon.

Hated to see Sabrina, John C., Tommy, and Dwayne go home. I've seen some of their other stuff, and they're good.

Can't believe Ralph and Dante made it through. Ugh. I like a good impression, but that seemed to be all they had. And I've seen Ralph do that character on lots of tv shows. I don't need to see it on this one.

Edited by Tallulah2, Jul 18, 2007 @ 11:41 PM.

tsgeisel

tsgeisel

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 19, 2007 @ 1:08 AM

Given that they showed 30-60 seconds of any particular act (at least it felt like that), I'm not going to make any judgements about who was funniest. They probably took the "best" stuff from each act, but what you would find funniest is not necessarily what I would find funniest. I wonder how much input the comics get on what gets used on-screen...

Anyway, Gina Yashere very much did well enough in what they showed to make it to the next round. John Carparulo, who went first, I still didn't find especially funny. But, yeah, 30 seconds of comedy. Good job NBC.

I'm really hoping that they'll put the entire sets up on the website. It would be nice to know for certain that the right decisions were made.

danely

danely

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 19, 2007 @ 1:57 AM

It's not that I hate Benson...anybody who posts on these forums can't be the spawn of the devil or somesuch. It's just after Ant and Bil Dwyer, I just knew Benson would make the cut. It sucks that out of sixteen comics performing (randomly assigned?), the odds of making the finals dip because of such an automatic entry. Or maybe I'm just cynical like that.

You might be a tad cynical... : )

Considering he didn't make it last season I think it was hardly an "automatic" pass. I love Doug Benson so maybe I'm being nicer. But I've always believed that this is not an amateur competition and that the majority of these comics are established comics. Just because we've heard of him more than others doesn't mean he doesn't need the exposure.

Then again you may be on to something since Gerry Dee makes it through supposedly. Maybe it's an automatic pass if you've gotten to the semis before?

secretagentman

secretagentman

Fanatic

Posted Jul 19, 2007 @ 5:57 AM

Thrilled for Deb DiGiovanni, she always slays me. The African woman from the UK was great too, so happy for her as well. Unless the rest of their sets were killer and they just didn't show it, the guys they picked were pretty lame. Benson's material especially felt tired. The worst was that chick from Manhattan. Mugging jokes? How very 1990.

Green

Green

Fanatic

Posted Jul 19, 2007 @ 6:16 AM

Thought several people who didn't make it were funnier than Debra from Canada. Another overly jolly fat girl. Never learned names either. Liked the skinny guy in blue shirt with glasses.

I completely agree. I was so bummed Blue Shirt didn't make it - he was my favorite of the night. Debra is completely and utterly unfunny to me, on top of being annoying, so I was quite disappointed that she got through. I hope she can cut at least half of the "you know what I mean?" cracks out of her act. She truly bugs me, but obviously the judges think she's hilarious or somehow will help ratings.

I do love Gina, so I'm very pleased she made it through. And I got a kick out of the guy from London saying he will get a hero's welcome at home because everyone in England hates to see someone else succeed. No Aussies made it through, huh? That's too bad. Maybe next round.

Extra Monkey

Extra Monkey

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 19, 2007 @ 7:40 AM

I'm still unclear on the format for this season. Is there a "house" this time? Haven't seen any footage or mention of a house. Maybe all we'll get is stand-up, which is much better than selecting comics for the house based on potential drama for ratings. Next episode will cut it to 10 finalists. Anyone know when the final episode is? I assume it's just before the Fall TV season begins. Is there time for a 1 or 2 person per round elimination?

Omar G

Omar G

Fanatic

Posted Jul 19, 2007 @ 8:18 AM

There's more info about that in the spoiler thread. This thread is for this particular episode.

ferretrick

ferretrick

Fanatic

Posted Jul 19, 2007 @ 8:18 AM

I thought it was a weak showing from everybody last night except Sabrina Matthews, who of course didn't make the cut.

Riggsy

Riggsy

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 19, 2007 @ 8:30 AM

I completely agree. I was so bummed Blue Shirt didn't make it - he was my favorite of the night. Debra is completely and utterly unfunny to me, on top of being annoying, so I was quite disappointed that she got through. I hope she can cut at least half of the "you know what I mean?" cracks out of her act. She truly bugs me, but obviously the judges think she's hilarious or somehow will help ratings.

I thought so too. I was pulling for Tommy more than any of them. That cat bit from the previous audition was so hilarious, and some of his other routines on-line are great. That wasn't his best material but still very clever. I hate to say it, but I felt like they made an effort to represent some other countries in the five they sent through. To me, that is how Debra made the cut (not that there's really a shortage of Canadian comics in the U.S.). With this in mind, it seemed to me that there were really only two spots up for grabs (at least two would be given to comics not from the U.S. + one spot for Doug Benson), and Dante grabbed one of them with the No-Hassle pass. I don't think he would have made it on the judges' call (or mine - frankly, he's not that funny). Just my opinion.

RobertBlue

RobertBlue

Fanatic

Posted Jul 19, 2007 @ 8:40 AM

Wow. So Sabrina doesn't move on. I'm still shocked ever since I heard it might go down like this. I really think that it's because this show is not very friendly to slow delivery comedians. I'm blanking right now, but I remember being shocked (but not this shocked) when Tig Notarro didn't move on whatever seasons ago, and she had a slower delivery as well.

Sabrina should have just bust out the Denny's routine. That would have sailed her through to the finals.

Jacob's Hair Dye

Jacob's Hair Dye

Fanatic

Posted Jul 19, 2007 @ 9:10 AM

Ugh. Knew Doug Benson would make it, but he's not funny. I had his Comedy Central show on last week, and didn't laugh once. Turned the channel after 10 minutes. Being in the finals has to be because of all his whining about how he didn't make it last year. If this same tactic results in Gerry Dee making it to the finals next week, I may stop watching altogether.

Ralph Harris wasn't funny either. It might have been much better if it had been his grandfather telling the jokes himself, but I doubt it.

Glad that Gina made it, and to a lesser extent Debra, but would have much preferred Sabrina, Tommy Johnagin, and John C to have gone through with them.

mookiestarz

mookiestarz

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 19, 2007 @ 9:19 AM

Why were the judges there? They just sat there like a bump on a log.

Word! Especially when they had a famous guest. I was waiting to hear something funny from Tom.

Very dissappointed that Dreadlocks didn't make it. "...and they'd still have time for a soccer game!"

Tobester

Tobester

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 19, 2007 @ 9:38 AM

I don't know how much of the routines the audience got to see, but for me it was very hard to judge anybody. One minute of material is barely enough to set up a joke, it all felt a bit hasty and rushed.

Edited by Tobester, Jul 19, 2007 @ 9:55 AM.

oosil

oosil

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 19, 2007 @ 9:46 AM

Dante gets in but Joe Devito doesn't? That's just gross. Did the audience really pick this lot? I don't believe it for one minute. Deb DiGiovanni isn't funny either--it seems like she's trying to do Dawn French. Tommy Johnagin or Caparulo would have been better. This bites.

winolisa

winolisa

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 19, 2007 @ 10:38 AM

The only one who made it to the finals who we found remotely funny was Gina. Otherwise, does Dante do any impressions that are NOT circa the 80's? I mean really, Christopher Lloyd? Jack Nicholson? Geez. Do not llike the Canadian chick - too manic, not funny. Did not enjoy Ralph Harris' grandpa act. It might be funny at family reunions but on national tv? Not so much. Doug Benson - meh.

We liked the guy from Australia? Adam Vincent, I think. Liked the lady who did stuff about watching her sister's kid (baby proofing, etc.). Liked the guy coming in third in the fight. Liked Sabrina Matthews.

As most have said, it is very hard to find someone funny in 30 to 60 second increments. I guess I can blame Tom Arnold (why not?) but this is not boding well for next week.

hutchlover

hutchlover

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 19, 2007 @ 10:47 AM

Total Bullshit!

Doug Benson? Debra DiGiovanni? Ralph Harris? Seriously????!!!!

Sabrina & John C. & Dwyane & Joe DiV. were fricking ROBBED! I think this show is dead to me.

Ralph was funnier than his tryout, but he's had a god-blessed career for years already. Ridiculous. Personally I love Dante. I don't care how many 80s jokes he does, I like him.

For the most part, however, these sets were LOTS lamer than their original tryouts. Tommy J. seriously disappointed me.

I guess all my love is now reserved for Gina, and depending on who makes it for the next semis.

HickoryColt

HickoryColt

Stalker

Posted Jul 19, 2007 @ 10:53 AM

I wasn't overly impressed with any of them and none of them stood out. Maybe its trying to squeeze too many comics into a one hour show. You only get about a minute of each of them.

darwin

darwin

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 19, 2007 @ 11:11 AM

What is wrong with these audiences? Wasn't that the second audience choice for Dante? I didn't think he deserved it the first time either. I guess the people like Nicholson impressions. And I hate his camera one-on-ones. The ones about how he would use the money to support his kid. Why???

bad orange

bad orange

Just Tuned In

Posted Jul 19, 2007 @ 11:49 AM

So funny it was mentioned in the recap that Joe DeVito looks like the Verizon guy. I went to college with both of them (Fairfield University). At the time, it didn't seem like a school of bespectacled jokesters...

22lover

22lover

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 19, 2007 @ 12:05 PM

These people are painfully unfunny. And Bill Bellamy sucks ass.

ThatPoshGirl

ThatPoshGirl

Stalker

Posted Jul 19, 2007 @ 12:34 PM

From the Weecap:

Spencer Brown from (say it with me) Londontown. Backstage he jokes that his grandmother needs his winnings for an operation...but he doesn't think she really needs a boob job. Save it for the stage, ya crazy Brit! He opens with some dicey physical humor that doesn't really work. Not very funny sexism joke. Why do I like this guy so much if he doesn't make me laugh at all? Must be the Muppet hair.

I felt the same way last night, "I love him! OKay, he's not funny, but I don't care! I love him!" He should have his own show. He should have his own show where he does a bunch of ridiculous things that are painfully unfunny but mysteriously amusing anyway. You know, like Mr. Bean.

This season started out so promising. We saw a lot of really funny people get through. What happened? Do the producers just not have a sense of humor? Though, I suppose the audience is partially to blame. Dante was just not funny. At all. What was the audience thinking?

I'm puzzled by my own love of Tom Arnold.

bacalao

bacalao

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 19, 2007 @ 12:39 PM

My favorite moment was when Bellamy introduced the judges. The "very funny" Alonzo Bodden, and the "funny" Kathleen Madigan..I was sitting there just wondering if he was going to have the balls to characterize Ant as funny, and sure enough, the adjective he went with was "crazy." I wonder if contempt for the comic stylings of Ant is a prerequisite for admission to the comics' union.

And then, of course, Ant jumps up and says, "And Sexy!" To which I have to say, Ant should go work at one of those religious right homosexual re-education camps, because I have a feeling he could make Dan Savage resort to sex with women.

TatoChip

TatoChip

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 19, 2007 @ 1:21 PM

Wow. So Sabrina doesn't move on. I'm still shocked ever since I heard it might go down like this. I really think that it's because this show is not very friendly to slow delivery comedians.

I so, so, so agree! Sabrina was hilarious from her first line about lesbian stereotypes. Self-deprecating, smart, charming. I am a middle-aged (if I live to be 110) straight woman with no special affection for lesbians, but I just love Sabrina.

Steven Wright would be kicked off the show.

Very Shy

Very Shy

Just Tuned In

Posted Jul 19, 2007 @ 1:45 PM

Sabrina Matthews was easily the best comic on that show - intelligent, witty, and charming. Her delivery was flawless. I was floored when the judges eliminated her. Seriously, what were they thinking?