Bravo is "Flipping Out" (or Has Already!)

• Please log in to reply

4068 replies to this topic

donleavy

donleavy

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 19, 2008 @ 4:16 PM

It was Ryan the business partner who said he couldn't come to a Saturday AM meeting because he watched cartoons with his daughter.

This is why I hate Ryan.

I know, I'm definitely in the minority, but I loathe Ryan, and have since last season. He's just such a whiny bitch. Nothing wrong with having plans on a Saturday, but the whole, "Oh, I gotta watch cartoons with my child," and that whole entitled attitude that comes with that. Nothing against children and quality time, etc. but you're not curing cancer, just get over yourself! He did this all last season. Again, it's wonderful he's putting family first, but at the same time, you've got a fucking job, so do it, and stop acting like you're the first person in the world who's ever procreated and everyone else has to accomodate you.

And it's not clear to me what Ryan contributes. It doesn't seem like he does much, except sit around pissing and moaning, and just follow Jeff's lead. I guess Jeff is content to have this guy around to be his sounding board - which I guess is the function of all his employees - so that's fine. But with Jenni and of course, Zoila - they actually contribute. Ryan is just annoying. I also do not find him good looking at all, which I guess is part of it.

Whatever Jenni contributes, of course, is canceled out by her simian husband.

Fun fact: New Chris is the brother of Angela "Jubilee Jumbles" Keslar from Project Runway S3.

Ewww. I thought I got a whiff of that spacey, moon-dancy vibe when he started going on about how Jeff loves beauty and whatever. Gag.

It's a small, small world.

In reality famewhore world, definitely.

Soul2Kings

Soul2Kings

Fanatic

Posted Jun 20, 2008 @ 1:16 AM

I know, I'm definitely in the minority, but I loathe Ryan, and have since last season. He's just such a whiny bitch. Nothing wrong with having plans on a Saturday, but the whole, "Oh, I gotta watch cartoons with my child," and that whole entitled attitude that comes with that. Nothing against children and quality time, etc. but you're not curing cancer, just get over yourself! He did this all last season. Again, it's wonderful he's putting family first, but at the same time, you've got a fucking job, so do it, and stop acting like you're the first person in the world who's ever procreated and everyone else has to accomodate you.

And it's not clear to me what Ryan contributes. It doesn't seem like he does much, except sit around pissing and moaning, and just follow Jeff's lead. I guess Jeff is content to have this guy around to be his sounding board - which I guess is the function of all his employees - so that's fine. But with Jenni and of course, Zoila - they actually contribute. Ryan is just annoying. I also do not find him good looking at all, which I guess is part of it.

I like Ryan, but I think you have a point, especially if the job market is tough. Plus, Ryan is talking about a toddler, who probably wouldn't know the difference if he skipped out Saturday morning and return to watch cartoons in the afternoon. In regards to his contributions, I will have to disagee, because Ryan contributes way too much. I kind of think Ryan still loves Jeff. I mean why else would he sell his home to raise capital for Jeff (and uprooting his family life, which if fine, as long as it does not disturb Sat. morning cartoons, which is a total WTF), and why has he poured in more money than Jeff, when they are working on a home together?

biakbiak

biakbiak

Stalker

Posted Jun 20, 2008 @ 12:16 PM

Maybe I am misremembering that scene but I thought Jeff was trying to pawn off something he was supposed to do himself onto Ryan and that is why Ryan came up with the cartoon watching.

Also, from the way Jeff has talked it seems they both do a lot of the designing/project managing their different projects. For instance Jeff and Jenny credited Ryan with the design work for Nottingham was it? I always get confused on the names of houses but the one that Ryan moved to when he "won" the bet.

cruel shoes

cruel shoes

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 20, 2008 @ 1:33 PM

Re: Ryan

and why has he poured in more money than Jeff, when they are working on a home together?

I suspect it's because a large percentage of Jeff's cash is tied up in payroll for house assistants, trash guys, dog walkers, pet acupuncturists, pet masseurs, people masseurs, psychics, a housekeeper, an executive assistant, a chakra aligner, and life coach. (And those are just the people we've seen/heard about. Unfortunately for Jeff and everyone around him, the list does not include a psychiatrist.) Then there's the storage fees for his large cache of staging furniture and accessories... 33.3% of his personal belongings! And keeping enough coffemate creamer, martini olives, and bottled water on hand to stock a fallout shelter does not come cheap.

Just guessing.

Aww. He is, admittedly subadult. However, love his tshirts: remember "Estar Guars?" And any man who calls his wife "funny face" after nearly a decade together is alright with me.

No onions. No Onions! CHECK THE BOX.

Edited by cruel shoes, Jun 20, 2008 @ 2:05 PM.

redundant1

redundant1

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 20, 2008 @ 3:36 PM

No onions. No Onions! CHECK THE BOX.

Ha! That's one of my favorite moments from last season. That and Ryan flipping out--no pun intended--about the contractors over-pruning the olive tree. Then Jeff says, "he really got attached to that tree" or something like that. I love this show way too much.

donleavy

donleavy

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 20, 2008 @ 7:44 PM

In regards to his contributions, I will have to disagee, because Ryan contributes way too much.

Maybe I am misremembering that scene but I thought Jeff was trying to pawn off something he was supposed to do himself onto Ryan and that is why Ryan came up with the cartoon watching.

I admit that Ryan probably does contribute significantly, and that he had a very legit reason to invoke cartoon-watching, and that my hatred of him is probably irrational. But oh, that nasally voice and his entitled manner of speaking - drives me up the wall.

What's weird is: I think I'm supposed to be this irritated by Jeff. Isn't he the insaniac star of this show? And everyone else the voice of reason, Ryan most of all? But to me, Ryan just seems very phony, self-righteous and superior. Like, "this guy is so crazy and I'm so normal."

"It's [Zoila's] birthday!"
"She's so selfish!"

I know this is preview-editing, but how hilarious is that?

JennDear

JennDear

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 20, 2008 @ 10:33 PM

Does anyone know what's up with Chris always having his iPod ear phones in?

I don't know but it bugs the ever living crap out of me! What is the etiquette for ear buds? I'm sure it's take them out when you're speaking to someone. How Jenni ended up w/him I do not know.

MissFancy

MissFancy

Fanatic

Posted Jun 21, 2008 @ 12:20 AM

Call me naive, but I had no idea that one could request Starbucks to have one's coffee at a specific temperature. Maybe it's an LA thing. Or a Jeff thing. In any case, Jenni needs to get an instant-read thermometer, pronto.

Soul2Kings

Soul2Kings

Fanatic

Posted Jun 21, 2008 @ 2:01 AM

I didn't know that either, maybe it's a well kept secret. : -

Elle34DD

Elle34DD

Fanatic

Posted Jun 21, 2008 @ 10:03 AM

Call me naive, but I had no idea that one could request Starbucks to have one's coffee at a specific temperature.

I've seen it done. Once in LA and once in NYC. Not surprising Jeff would order a specific temperature. Nice to see that he's mellowed (hahaha) this year and will wait for it to cool down a few degrees instead of sending Jenny back.

I love MONKEY! The acupuncturist episode made me laugh so hard I cried. And when he hid behind the water bottles, well, that just sealed it for me.

riverheightsnan

riverheightsnan

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 21, 2008 @ 12:33 PM

Gotta to say that I adore Zoila, Monkey and Stewie on this show. I actually think that Jeff is very REAL. You know how a lot of people on reality shows sort of create a character, a villian or want to be perceived as nice. I think Jeff is exactlly like he is. I kind of like him for that.

Isabella Murphy

Isabella Murphy

Just Tuned In

Posted Jun 22, 2008 @ 5:14 PM

Just tuned into this show. Having played both consultant and buyer roles, I could understand where Courtney was coming from, but I definitely sided with Jeff. Courtney came across very cheap and indecisive. Jeff didn't come off as much of a jerk as I had been expecting from everything I've read about the show. We'll see!

July

July

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 23, 2008 @ 1:01 PM

Seriously! I can't understand why she's with that guy.

I'm surprised that so many people like Jeff. I've never seen the show before, but he seems like a jerk to me. The way he treats his staff is so demeaning. And why does he need all those assistants anyway? Catering to his neuroses is probably a full-time job in addition to normal assistant duties.

WhineandCheez

WhineandCheez

Fanatic

Posted Jun 24, 2008 @ 8:05 AM

Ok, watched the show for the first time because of Joel McHale's segment. Here is a brief recap of me watching this show for the first time:

Minute 1: He's a good looking guy
Minute 1.5: God he's got gorgeous lips
Minute 2: No one has lips that full unless your are Angelina or have had collagen. But no man gets lip collagen unless he's gay.
Minute 3: He's gay

So tell me all--has he had lip collagen?? They look deflated like Lisa Rinna's lips.

I am kinda pissed because I was proud of my newly cleared and pristine summer reality show viewing schedule (So You Think..Dance and She's Got The Look, that's all) so now I will be adding this too.

PLEASE TELL--where did Courntey get her money?

Crumpet

Crumpet

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 24, 2008 @ 9:33 AM

He's had lip collagen. He also gets Botox (but not too much Botox, the perfect amount of Botox).

slackerchick

slackerchick

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 24, 2008 @ 9:39 AM

How did she get her money? The old-fashioned way--she married it!

At times, I think Jeff is tolerable, then he pulls that shit with the 5 minute long explanation about how he wants the mints from one box combined with the mints from the other box and I just want to kill him. If any boss ever asked me to do that, I'd be all Are all 10 of your fingers broken? Would you like them to be?

Jenni has the patience of a saint to not bust up laughing at such ridiculousness. Jeff needs to be a new reality show where he has to go out and do real work without any assistants catering to his neuroses. I see Jeff Lewis on Ice Road Truckers. Jeff Lewis on Deadliest Catch. Jeff Lewis on Black Gold. When you are *actually* busy, you don't have time to obsess about the temperature of your coffee.

MrPissyPuppy

MrPissyPuppy

Fanatic

Posted Jun 24, 2008 @ 11:28 AM

I think/hope the mint thing was them just playing around for the show.

OTOH, I can relate to the refrigerator thing. Then again, I don't have any assistants to do it for me. LOL

cherry malotte

cherry malotte

Fanatic

Posted Jun 24, 2008 @ 11:48 AM

Fun fact: New Chris is the brother of Angela "Jubilee Jumbles" Keslar from Project Runway S3. It's a small, small world.

Oh Lord, help me get thru this season. Maybe he's not as gratingly spacey as his sis is.

I've got my husband turned onto this show - he's got an appreciation being a carpet/flooring install dude. When Courtney called Jeff back and was severely delusional/nasty/bitchy to him Mr Malotte flinched. There are a lot of people out there that when they remodel they have way more money than sense and Jeff is spot on, the reason that house isn't completed is because she is under the illusion that everyone is ripping her off and/or they'll do anything to save a buck. Mr Malotte has had his share of those types.

I love Monkey and Stewie...especially when they lay in the bowls.

selkie

selkie

Fanatic

Posted Jun 24, 2008 @ 12:38 PM

Monkey and Stewie are the main reason why we're still watching.

slackerchick

slackerchick

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 24, 2008 @ 10:33 PM

I'm sorry, that painting was hideous.

There needs to be more Monkey and Stewie. Drapes drapes drapes drapes drapes drapes drapes drapes SHUT. UP.

MissFancy

MissFancy

Fanatic

Posted Jun 24, 2008 @ 11:10 PM

Boy, Jeff was totally clueless--almost charmingly so--about why Zoila might not want a self-portrait for her birthday. He could have given her a day at a good spa, a piece of jewelry, a Botox session, something stunning for her house, a gift certificate at Saks... any number of things that would have made her happy. And he certainly should have given her a few days off. I really couldn't tell whether he was kidding or serious during that "Didn't I give you a day off for Christmas?" "Who's going to make me breakfast and do my laundry?" "Zoila is selfish" conversation. Anyone?

No way can he redo Encino for $200,000. I expect we'll see him talking to the home-owners about that soon.

Yay! More Courteney craziness coming up.

donleavy

donleavy

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 25, 2008 @ 1:36 AM

He could have given her a day at a good spa, a piece of jewelry, a Botox session, something stunning for her house, a gift certificate at Saks...

In my opinion, Zoila will probably not really want any of these things (except for maybe the spa thing).

The best present would have been the day off, or even more days off. And money.

Imbaack

Imbaack

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 25, 2008 @ 2:13 AM

The picture of Zoila was awful! Just awful! How could they have given her that crappy picture for a gift?

How would the artist like having her likeness painted that way? Ugh!

tarragon918

tarragon918

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 25, 2008 @ 4:53 AM

More Monkey and Stewie please ... please! And that portrait of Zoila was horrid! WTF ailed that artist?! OMG she really made Zoila look horrible, unfortunately. Monkey did seem to like the painting, though - I noticed that he kept sitting next to it! *laughs* And I'm sorry, but while the portrait wasn't quite as awful after it was "fixed," it was still bad. Zoila should get several weekends off, as well as a day (or two!) at a spa for that one. And please, more cats ... and doggies too, for that matter. I'm still wanting to find out where the other pup came from!

TrippingJ

TrippingJ

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 25, 2008 @ 8:03 AM

Good God was that portrait of Zoila revolting. Poor Zoila, all she wanted was just a couple days off. I really hope that as revenge the Jeff Lewis team instructs the same artist to do a portrait of Jeff for his birthday, especially one that highlights his oily and orange complexion and his lack of a upper lip line.

I was a bit underwhelmed by the renovations at Ben Lommond and Valley Oak. Jeff is definately a stickler for quality and has great attention to detail; but I find many of his flips and remodels pretty bland. There's really nothing completely unique or spectacular about them. It's pretty much the standard fare that you see in Architectural Digest.

Edited by TrippingJ, Jun 25, 2008 @ 8:04 AM.

Three Olives

Three Olives

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 25, 2008 @ 9:42 AM

Call me naive, but I had no idea that one could request Starbucks to have one's coffee at a specific temperature. Maybe it's an LA thing. Or a Jeff thing. In any case, Jenni needs to get an instant-read thermometer, pronto.

I do it, but only because everytime I don't ask them for a specific temperature it burns my tongue. Maybe I just have a very temperature sensitive tongue though.

athousandclowns

athousandclowns

Fanatic

Posted Jun 25, 2008 @ 1:15 PM

More Monkey and Stewie please ... please! And that portrait of Zoila was horrid! WTF ailed that artist?! OMG she really made Zoila look horrible, unfortunately. Monkey did seem to like the painting, though - I noticed that he kept sitting next to it! *laughs* And I'm sorry, but while the portrait wasn't quite as awful after it was "fixed," it was still bad. Zoila should get several weekends off, as well as a day (or two!) at a spa for that one. And please, more cats ... and doggies too, for that matter. I'm still wanting to find out where the other pup came from!

I must be missing something, I have only seen them sleep in a bowl (gross) and eat on the counter. Do people feed their cats on a kitchen counter? Yuk.

Edited by athousandclowns, Jun 25, 2008 @ 1:16 PM.

Eme

Eme

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 25, 2008 @ 1:24 PM

Why do we love Jeff? I guess you had to be there......the previous season.
He was deliciously crazee and out of control.
After the season, he showed up on a Behind The Scenes Special and showed himself to be much more self-aware and sympathetic than he acted on the first season. He even said that seeing himself made him rethink some things. Not everything (Thanks Jeff!) but a lot. I can really see the difference this second season. He's a lot more calm and while he is still unreasonable, you can see how his "staff" might drive him to the crazy.

Speaking of staff, me likey some Zoila. She is hilarious!! I LOVE the subtitles!
The problem with that painting is the artist. You have to like that kind of wierdo paint style to appreciate her rendition. Neither Zoila nor I are into that. Zoila looked horrible! There was nothing flattering about it and I enjoyed how horrified she was and how blunt she was in saying that it was UGLY! That "artist" was embarrassed (as well she should be for that rendition!). It was so funny to see them present the picture, have Zoila come out with the horriffic truth (and almost burst into tears)....and the artist right there to see the car crash. I loved it!!
It was nice of them to try to redeem that hideous picture, but the only thing it is good for is lining Monkey's box.

It was also cool to see Jeff have to deal with CrazeeCourtney. See, now, THAT was some serious Karma coming back to Jeff. Thanks Bravo! Now, when are you bringing back "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia"???

bumblehare74

bumblehare74

Fanatic

Posted Jun 25, 2008 @ 1:29 PM

The picture of Zoila was awful! Just awful! How could they have given her that crappy picture for a gift?

Jeff had to know that painting wasn't going to go over well. He just had to. As quirky as Jeff comes off, there is no way that I will believe that he thought that was a good present. That being said, he says everything with such a straight face, I can't tell when he is serious or clowning around.

For some reason, whenever I see his assistant, I think of Elaine Benis. I am not sure why.

Karennz

Karennz

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 25, 2008 @ 1:30 PM

I feed my cats on a portion of the kitchen counter so my dog (who is small, and can't jump that high) won't steal their food.

Love this show because it takes neuroses to a completely new plateau! lol I do think -- I hope -- Jeff lays it on thicker than it really is (neurosis-wise) and editing probably focuses on that because it's what gets us all talking about the show. Plus I love seeing how the pros can take a property and turn it into something bigger/better/whatever-er than it was before.