Don't Forget The Lyrics!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

260 replies to this topic

TryingHarder

TryingHarder

Fanatic

Posted Nov 10, 2008 @ 7:24 AM

En Vouge was great last night

They did a great job. Take that ! All you lip synchers!

bonnie77

bonnie77

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 10, 2008 @ 2:22 PM

I know this is a bit of an old discussion but I just found this thread. I liked the Singing Bee better than DFTL because the songs on SB were newer, I think. I don't think there are any songs newer than 25 years old on DFTL. I'm only 31, so I don't remember a lot of these songs.

I've liked Wayne Brady since "Whose Line Is It Anyway?" though. :)

redtulip

redtulip

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 11, 2008 @ 6:04 PM

I don't think there are any songs newer than 25 years old on DFTL

There are frequently songs from the 80s, and I know I've seen Nickleback and I think even Nirvana as an option before. I have a feeling they sort of choose the songs based on what the contestant might know, so with older contestants you get older songs. That said, I'm 28 (29 in two days!) and I know a majority of the songs and would love to be a contestant! It's all in what you listen to though, and I went through an oldies (mostly 60s and 70s) period in my teens and I know the 80s and 90s from growing up.

Gale_Star

Gale_Star

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 11, 2008 @ 6:07 PM

I agree they have a lot of old songs - about half I kinda know and several I've never heard before (I'm 30 years old). I think they just had Christina Aguilera's "What a Girl Wants" available to pick (Diva category?) - that's about as recent as I can recall seeing.

Maybe they pick older songs because they've been around & you have more opportunity to hear them & get them ingrained into your head. I certainly don't have the lyrics of many new songs memorized.

College Fan

College Fan

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 13, 2008 @ 6:17 PM

My mom and I were talking the other day about how they seem to do more "classic" songs on the show, and not more recent songs. For me personally, I like the songs from the 60s and 70s even though I'm only in my mid 20s. There are songs that I think I know on the show, but once the lyrics stop, then I have to think about it for awhile before I'm able to come up with the correct lyrics, if I come up with them at all.

College Fan

College Fan

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 7, 2008 @ 10:34 PM

Anyone know if the opening sequence up until the shot of Rickey Minor is the same tape? It seems that each time I watch this show it's the same people in the opening sequence until the camera gets on Rickey Minor and the band. I'm not sure if I'm the only one that noticed this or not. Also, the people in that sequence seem to be doing the exact same actions each time, which is why I think it may be the same tape up until the camera gets on Rickey Minor.

Fishercat

Fishercat

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 22, 2008 @ 12:58 AM

Yeah, I know they're probably appealing to a specific market of people who are usually home on Friday nights willing to watch a game show, and that usually doesn't include the twenty-somethings, therefore, we get "classic" songs. Recently, we've gotten Kelly Clarkson, I believe Natasha Bedingfield (I didn't see it, but I heard about it), and Nickelback as choices. However, I'm relatively sure those are the only three songs from this decade that have been on the show. That wouldn't be a huge problem if the 90's were well-represented, but usually only once or twice a show something from that era comes up.

As much as I abhor this choice (since I could be competitive on a 2000-on version of this show and I'm hopeless on the current format), there are good reasons. I figure (haven't looked at actual numbers) the show probably skews to a 30's+ age group, who would be more familiar with the 70's and 80's music commonly found, or perhaps up to the Boomers where the 60's come into play.

Second, as was said, you have more time. The Beach Boys' "Good Vibrations" isn't exactly more or less complex than REM's "Shiny Happy People" (two choices, not the same category), but it has been played for 25 more years and more people have heard it more often. Even if people listen to Christina Aguliera's "What A Girl Wants" for the next 20 years (doesn't seem like it), "Crocodile Rock" will still have decades of time played on it.

Third, the past has already been whittled down. We all know the legends of the 60's-80's. We know how huge the Beatles really were (and are), that the Stones are certifiable legends. The "Oldies" or Classic Rock stations have whittled their playlists to mostly the songs of these legends and the all-time big hits. So people today know a bunch of Stones songs, from "Satisfaction" to "Jumpin' Jack Flash". However, with the newer songs, it's still pretty wide open to which will be played 5, 10, 20 years down the road. We're just truly seeing the lasting singles and bands from the 1990's in terms of legacy. Sure, Smells Like Teen Spirit (Nirvana) can be on DFTL, or Baby One More Time (Spears), maybe All Star (Smashmouth), You Oughta Know (Morrissette), Smooth (Santana & Thomas), but maybe outside of Smooth, I don't know you could really look at those two or three years down the line and know if they'd hold up as memorable songs (I think all of them do). For instance, the RIAA put out the top selling singles of the 1990's. I'll provide the link, but some songs there are perfect DFTL singles because they are still played and referenced in 2008. Some, not so much

http://donstuff.word...s-of-the-1990s/

Granted, I'm biased against country, but I don't know if you could realistically put that Tim McGraw song on the show (maybe in the high value levels). Celine's "My Heart Will Go On" has already been on the show IIRC, and that's great. You can do MC Hammer, maybe not the Boyz II Men/Mariah song (or maybe not MC Hammer, I think so). It's hard to tell so close which ones will last on the 90's and Today stations and which ones won't. That's a luxury of using older songs.

Third, and I'm going to sound like a youth elitist here (not my intent, but I read it over and it sounds that way), but I'll just say younger contestants are more likely to be aware of the older popular songs than vice-versa. I think a 25-year old is more likely to know a song they'd choose from the 1970's than a 55-year old would be to know a song from the 2000's. Some will say that is because today's music is bad, and that's up for debate. However, due to that whittled down nature of older music, it seems logical. We saw the Moneys (Eddie and Daughter) lose on Kelly Clarkson (he knew neither song, she botched one word), but both did relatively well on the older songs.

As much as I would love to see newer songs, it doesn't make sense. It lessens the chances of the players winning, alienates the base, and really, the pop culture nuts aren't good at the new, new songs. "How You Remind Me" may not be a problem, but I keep thinking back to VH1's World Series of Pop Culture. In two seasons and many, many questions in the NCAA-styled tournament. ONE category had all six questions stump both teams. "Song Lyrics from 2006". Some easy hit songs were on that list too.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Separate thought, I think DFTL can afford to make the Million Dollar Song a better bet. No one in their right mind (K-Locke excluded) will ever try the million dollar song unless they don't need the money or are ridiculously confident. I think they need to do one or more of these things

A) Up the guaranteed pull from 100k (a good bump) to at least 200k.
B) Whittle down the category in which it will come from. I'd never choose if it's one of nine diverse categories (like 1970's, Country, Driving Songs...). Give me a specific category, then we talk.
C) Either give them a choice of two or three songs if they go for it, or a choice of categories

Essentially, they need to make it more like 5th Grader in that aspect or they'll never have a Million Dollar Winner, or at least I'd be stunned. Maybe allow them to carry one help into the finals if they hold onto it (friend or two words, not three lines).

Little Mac2

Little Mac2

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 22, 2008 @ 11:55 AM

I think that they need to do two things to make the Million Dollar Song a viable option.

A) Either tell them the category of the song OR spin for the choice (Aka Wheel of Fortune's bonus round, where they spin for a random envelope). No body is going to take a chance when they ALWAYS have a category like 1970's, 1980's that is too broad. If you gave them the option to spin for a category, more people might attempt it (AKA, if you KNOW The Door's down pat, you might chance it if you have a 1/9 chance of getting the category that you want)

B) Play it out regardless. People like knowing if the Million Dollar song is possible and if they could have gotten it. It makes them more invested in the show, & the second-guessing embolden future contestants. The fact that we seen only ONE Million Dollar song in 2 seasons when you had 5/6 500,000 winners shows that it isn't working. If people get a glimpse of the challenge, they might attempt it.

C) At the moment, it's a $500,000 show, not a million-dollar show. The fact that they throw confetti for the 500,000 winners show it. If you want to be a million dollar show, act like it, and stop the huge celebrations for the second-tier winners.

Fishercat

Fishercat

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 24, 2008 @ 12:43 AM

You make a very good point I forgot about: play it out. The one song they showed us (since K-Locke tried it) was Ringo Starr's "You're Sixteen". It had fourteen missing words (or something like that), was a #1 single for ONE WEEK, and is basically a gimmicky Sweet Sixteen song at this point. The only people who would realistically get that are people who work those parties or HUGE Beatles/Ringo fans. That would turn anyone who studies for this show off on trying it, since #1 Single means just that: a song tht was #1 at some point.

For instance, look at the #1 singles in the year Starr's was.

http://en.wikipedia....(United_States)

Sure, you COULD get something like "The Joker", "Bennie and the Jets", "Loco-Motion", or "Cat's In The Cradle". However, it seems more likely you'll get a "You're Sixteen", "I Honestly Love You". Or they could throw one of the singles that is never played today except on "This was the Top 40 in week of July 19th, 1971" countdown.

People have seen a bunch of Million Dollar Questions on 5th Grader, and that's what convinced Ken Jennings not to go for it and maybe convinced that Superintendant to go for it. I don't think we'll ever see anyone go for it when they celebrate 500,000 and it's THAT wide open.

USMC Diva

USMC Diva

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 30, 2008 @ 11:05 AM

Most recent song I've seen was Natasha Bedingfield's "Unwritten"... 2006/2007

College Fan

College Fan

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 16, 2009 @ 10:55 PM

Anyone know if the show aired on the New York Fox affiliate WNYW tonight? I had my DVR set to record all episodes of DFTL, but for whatever reason, when I went into my recordings on my DVR it wasn't there.

Brian C

Brian C

Fanatic

Posted Jan 27, 2009 @ 7:08 PM

I don't see why they don't just let the million dollar song play out like the rest of the rounds. If someone is good enough to have all their life lines left for the million dollar song, why penalize them? Obviously, if they have the life lines, then you'll have already received quite a great show from them already.

More likely than not, whoever reaches the million dollar song will not try for it, because they won't have the life lines, and who would ever try to guess for fourteen lines of something like "Sweet Sixteen" if it means risking $400,000?

Let them play, Don't Forget the Lyrics!! Let them play!!

DrScottie

DrScottie

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 2, 2009 @ 4:30 PM

I completely agree with the assessments here. This isn't like it's Smarter than a Fifth Grader, where you can only have the 5th graders assist for 2 questions each. The Million Dollar Question is the 11th question, therefore, you've run out of children to ask. To be fair, it's for a million dollars to answer a 5th grade question...you shouldn't necessarily need a 10 year old to help you. I don't have a problem with that one.

Don't Forget the Lyrics, though, I don't understand it. They penalize you in multiple ways, the lack of backups even if you still had them, and also the rule that if you see the question you have to lock in the lyrics and no longer walk. Every other stage allows you to walk after at least sounding it out. I mean if we were playing by Who Wants to Be A Millionaire? rules, the backups and the quit would still be in play.

I appreciate that they upped the guarantee to $100,000, but it seems like the safe bet is almost always to walk at that stage. The only situation were it would be worthwhile to attempt it would be like the kid with the guaranteed money no less than his current position. In that case, the choice is obvious. I also agree that we should at least see what the song would have been. For a long time, I thought it was going to be the theme to the show, "China Grove," 31 missing words. (But every day there's a new thing coming, the ways of an oriental view, the Sheriff and his buddies with their samurai swords, you can even hear the music at night). Eventually, China Grove was actually a choice during the regular show though. I'd still memorize all of "China Grove" in case it comes up again.

Edited by DrScottie, Feb 2, 2009 @ 4:32 PM.

Meedis

Meedis

Fanatic

Posted Mar 2, 2009 @ 2:01 PM

I agree, the En Vogue ladies looked amazing and played great! $350,000 for charity - woo hoo!

I missed it during the initial airing but caught up with the episode online recently. Yeah they did an amazing job. Nice to see them all together again.

College Fan

College Fan

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 13, 2009 @ 8:17 PM

Even for the $1 million song, I don't think they would give more than 20 missing words, but I could be wrong. Hypothetically, if it was "China Grove," they may do 17 missing words (the Sheriff and his buddies with their samurai swords, you can even hear the music at night).

I agree though, that contestants should be able to at least see what the song is though. Maybe that's something the producers have to discuss for future seasons. Also, to those that watch the show, it is on Fox's website that it will return Friday, May 22. In my area (New York), it will air at 8:00 pm. It may be different in other areas.

possibilities

possibilities

Stalker

Posted May 30, 2009 @ 8:07 PM

Last night there was a woman with a great voice, but she used up all of her back ups on one song right at the beginning. Then she locked in her next one, which she did seem confident about, but had one word off and went home with zero. It was a big disappointment.

Wayne Brady makes this show. He's so likeable, I don't even know why, but he really makes it fun.

There was a celebrity contestant last week who was doing really well, but walked away without trying the million dollar song because he said he felt like he owed it to the charity he was playing for, not to gamble with the money even though he thought it would be a lot of fun to try it.

redtulip

redtulip

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 2, 2009 @ 1:34 PM

There was a celebrity contestant last week who was doing really well, but walked away without trying the million dollar song because he said he felt like he owed it to the charity he was playing for, not to gamble with the money even though he thought it would be a lot of fun to try it.

That was Meatloaf and his daughter, Pearl. They were doing so well I was hoping they would go for the million dollar song. I think the only way we are going to see someone go for a million under the current rules is if it is a celebrity, because they could make up the difference in lost money to the charity if they didn't get it. I was hoping Meatloaf would do that, actually.

cabiness5

cabiness5

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 4, 2009 @ 10:14 AM

I think the only way we are going to see someone go for a million under the current rules is if it is a celebrity, because they could make up the difference in lost money to the charity if they didn't get it. I was hoping Meatloaf would do that, actually.

Yeah, I think if they want to see more million dollar songs, they are going to need to tweak the rules. Right now you can quit with $500K or try the song and end up with $100K if you lose. Maybe they could add a 3rd option where you can do the song but have the option to quit for $250K before locking in the lyrics.

jhlipton

jhlipton

Fanatic

Posted Jun 13, 2009 @ 11:35 AM

Did anyone notice that in the 2nd round Rock category, they had "Sail Away" and "Get Off Of My Cloud". In other words, Styx and Stones. I'm a bit surprised Brady didn't even mention it.

Styx is NOT what I call rock and roll (thanks, Mark Knopfler) -- they're more pop to me.

Fishercat

Fishercat

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 22, 2010 @ 6:37 PM

To bring this back from the dead, the show is now in syndication, showing on a bunch of different channels (I watch in on VH1 from 7 PM to 8 PM).

The changes are evident but I find the show even more enjoyable in syndication

A. Mark McGrath took Wayne Brady's place. He's not AS good but an above average host.
B. There's only five songs (four regular and an encore)
C. Scoring is 1k-2.5k-5k-10k-50k. If you don't get the first four, "50k" changes to "two times your amount"
D. If you get one wrong, you just don't move up on the chart but you still play.

They focus a LOT more on current songs. In the past three days, we've had more songs from the 21st century than we ever had on DFTL the original. It's a solid little game show still.

mittul

mittul

Couch Potato

• Interests:I love watching tv, playing baseball, and spending time with family. I don't have much time to do this stuff now because I am a full time student majoring in Radiography.

Posted Dec 4, 2010 @ 10:02 AM

The new format is really easy. I think anyone could walk away with at least $5,000. I also like that someone already won the $50,000 granted it was a couple but still, I don't think anyone ever won the million on the original.