3-7: "Day 7" 2007.07.16 (recap)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

383 replies to this topic

Wing Chun

Wing Chun

Posted Jul 10, 2007 @ 3:46 PM

From Zap2It:

The remaining six chefs must turn leftovers into meals in 30 minutes; the winning team gets a chance for revenge on chef Ramsay; poor communication may signal the end for one contestant.

MyEyesSee

MyEyesSee

Fanatic

Posted Jul 16, 2007 @ 9:01 PM

Brad leaves before Bonnie? WTF?

Go Julia! She may not win this thing, but there’s no way GR will let her get away. Even though he goofed on her fish n’ chips leftovers entrée, he didn’t want her to think she knew nothing about fine dining. And her dish was the most popular. Ha!

Next week looks wild.

Edited by MyEyesSee, Jul 16, 2007 @ 9:04 PM.

TVGuy88

TVGuy88

Couch Potato

• Interests:Besides television.... Weather, World Events, Politics, the Internet, Aviation, Earthquakes

Posted Jul 16, 2007 @ 9:02 PM

Well that was an odd episode.

The guys winning the reward was a nice change, and seeing the women meltdown and messing up the orders was hilarious.

Julia is very surprising to me... the steak that almost didn't make the menu was by far the most popular item.

Bonnie can shut up, as can Josh. I can't believe they both stayed and Brad left.

Next week's preview=likely overhyped.

mysticowl

mysticowl

Fanatic

When Rock said he could beat up Chef Ramsay, I could only laugh with derision. Rock, I can see your belly poking out through your t-shirt. And I've seen Ramsay's abs when he changes in his shows. So I don't think so.

I'm intrigued about who'll be sent home during dinner service. On one hand, Josh and Bonnie are the more likely ones. On the other, they showed Rock crying. Now, on the surface, that's a promo fake-out. But what if they know that we know it's a fake-out and it's actually real? Promo monkeys can fuck with your brain.

Why wouldn't they put steak on the menu? I've been to some high-end restaurants and they all have some form of a steak dish on their menu. A large amount of people love meat, even people with money.

Fluffy Malone

Fluffy Malone

Couch Potato

That was a joke, right? The person who was "cooking" without the gas on was given a pass? I'm honestly confused over the latest decision, because Brad and Rock were the only two who I think seemed even close to capable of running a restaurant.

I hate that they keep claiming Ramsey is looking for creativity from the contestants when it's clearly obvious he's not.

Phara0hess

Phara0hess

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 16, 2007 @ 9:03 PM

WHAT. THE. FUCK. Oh my God, he got rid of Brad over Bonnie, who annoys me to no end. Rock must be overjoyed. In fact they all must be happy that he's gone. I had him picked as top two or three, if not the winner. And yay for Julia, I was afraid they were setting her up for the loser arc.

indigotea

indigotea

Loyal Viewer

Damn, did the women all get a serious case of the dithers tonight? I was surprised the chicken soup was tied with the sea bass appetizer. It seemed like a gimme.

I thought for sure Josh was a goner tonight, but Brad fell on the sword instead.

Blueicus

Blueicus

Couch Potato

Last year, Virginia. This year, Bonnie. I think he has a particular little thing with the young, helpless-looking lady contestants. And it doesn't seem like Bonnie has THAT much food knowledge and creativity.

Edited by Blueicus, Jul 16, 2007 @ 9:04 PM.

AwNutz

AwNutz

Fanatic

Posted Jul 16, 2007 @ 9:04 PM

Wow...I so did NOT expect that one. Bonnie is one lucky lady.

Jen seems to be showing her true colors. And they ain't pretty. She's one hell of a bitch.

Rock is a bigger jackass than I thought.

Julia seems to be cracking somewhat under the pressure. At least she came up with a great dish that was rediculously popular. Just goes to show that a fine dining background isn't required to know what people will eat. Though I will say her fish and chips dish was a bit too low-brow for that type of establishment.

Josh...well...sucks...

Brad screwed up by not coming to Josh's aid. I firmly believe that if he'd stepped up when GR asked them to help the floundering Josh out, Josh would have been the one gone. GR TOLD them to help him, and they decided to play the game instead of doing what they were told.

Setlist

Setlist

Fanatic

• Interests:Indie rock music, skee ball, air hockey, and selling records.

Posted Jul 16, 2007 @ 9:04 PM

I must admit, Gordon's fakeouts ("The chef leaving tonight is.. BONNIE.. LOOK ALIVE, GOODBYE BRAD") are pretty amazing.

I don't know if I'm in the minority here, but I thought the paintball challenge was lame. All it proved was that the blue team wasn't very good at paintball.

I hope that the editing for the teams merging next week was fake, since I thought that might happen tonight. There's no way they didn't see it coming.

mcgjgl

mcgjgl

Posted Jul 16, 2007 @ 9:05 PM

Given the recent Rock debate, I thought it was funny that Josh qualified his paintball statement to say that he didn't mean he really wanted to shoot a boss.

Any goodwill that Jen may have earned in the previous ep, she lost this ep. I don't like her at all. I wish she would have been called out for her behavior, as it was quite similar to the boys'.

Yeah, Julia!! I really like her and I'm glad she spoke up about the steaks, even if it was last minute.

And the previews looked great: a GR voice crack, Rock crying, and a Rock and Jen showdown!

Julia remains awesome. She had every right to be a little up on herself for making a good choice, but yet she was able to refrain from speaking about herself in the third person

If the "experienced" chefs on the show could pull their heads out of their asses for a moment, they may be able to learn a few lessons from Julia in respect and humility.

Edited by mcgjgl, Jul 16, 2007 @ 9:12 PM.

txhorns79

txhorns79

Stalker

• Interests:Lawyering.

Posted Jul 16, 2007 @ 9:09 PM

Next week's preview=likely overhyped.

I think that is almost a given. The previews are always ridiculously dramatic.

Brad screwed up by not coming to Josh's aid. I firmly believe that if he'd stepped up when GR asked them to help the floundering Josh out, Josh would have been the one gone. GR TOLD them to help him, and they decided to play the game instead of doing what they were told.

This is what makes me think that Rock will be gone soon too. I actually felt bad for Josh when they both just stood there while he was flailing. Someone needs to tell them that they are being judged on how they work together, because for the life of me, none of them seems to get that.

Julia remains awesome. She had every right to be a little up on herself for making a good choice, but yet she was able to refrain from speaking about herself in the third person.

kanona29

kanona29

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 16, 2007 @ 9:09 PM

Bitch Jen. That's my new name for her....

She strikes me as someone you can't count on or trust. I can see her selling every friend she has down the river if it would prevent her from getting in trouble. I love how she said that Julia was just a "Waffle House person".

Yea, I'm sure that's a lot better than being a 'Fishing for Garbage person'.

I also can't believe she snapped at Mary Ann. I was like "Whoa"!

Bonnie or Josh should have left tonight. I don't understand why either of them are still on the show.

ETA: I forgot to say GO JULIA! She is by far the best reality contestant ever!

Edited by kanona29, Jul 16, 2007 @ 9:27 PM.

Rinaldo

Rinaldo

Stalker

• Interests:Music, theater (musical but also other), reading

Posted Jul 16, 2007 @ 9:10 PM

At least [Julia] came up with a great dish that was ridiculously popular.

Not only that, but she cooked every one to the proper degree of doneness; not one came back. Admittedly any professional chef should be able to do that, but I bet none of the other women (or maybe none of the cheftestants, period) could have done it so reliably.

evil jesus

evil jesus

Fanatic

Posted Jul 16, 2007 @ 9:10 PM

Jean-Phillipe did fall off a building about a year ago, so I think he would've helped them carry the crates inside. I believe his hurt back story. Poor JP.

I do not like the smug faces Rock has been making. He's playing a game, and he gets pissed about the rules of the game. I wish he would grow up.

Edited by evil jesus, Jul 16, 2007 @ 9:12 PM.

VioletViolet

VioletViolet

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 16, 2007 @ 9:11 PM

If I have to hear Bonnie say one more time that all she needs is a little more time in the kitchen to "develop her potential", I'm going to scream. I can't believe GR didn't call her out on that by telling her that her time was up. And I've hardly seen her be creative. Forgetful, panicked and whiny, yes. Creative, no.

CJohnson

CJohnson

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 16, 2007 @ 9:11 PM

Couldn't believe how much the ladies were struggling to come up with something during the challenge.

Overthinking screwed both teams with their menus. Ramsey forcing Bonnie & Jen to let Julia get her strip on the menu ended up being huge. Julia kicked butt during the service too. Good for her. I'm stunned Blue was able to regroup enough to get everything out.

Brad struggled pretty badly for the second week in a row. Rock did fine but his attitude has gone from simply the on camera talks to in service and that could screw him right out of a chance at winning everything. Josh got lucky that Brad didn't help him out when he was struggling yet again otherwise he would have been gone. Not sure why Brad appeared to so willingly go up on the chopping block. Josh would have gone home no questions asked if he was put up. Bonnie is lucky that Rock and Brad got into that little argument in front of Ramsey or she might have gone home. She had been very good the last few weeks but seemed totally lost during service this episode.

As for winning everything, they all have some pretty big weaknesses leaving the door open for anybody. Jen has been solid but she was sporting some weird 'tude this week that makes me question her a bit. Bonnie loses it during service too much. Julia is great but has limitations only because of her lack of knowledge of some dishes. Rock's attitude is getting in the way. It's amazing Josh is still around as much as he's picked on. Should be fun to see who comes out of this. The combined team looks like it will have major issues.

jbean

jbean

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 16, 2007 @ 9:12 PM

I wonder if there wasn't something we missed in the mens team discussion about who to boot. Meaning that, if they pick Bonnie, we put up Brad because he won't send Brad home, but if they put up Jen, then we have to put up Josh, because NO way Jen is going home.

Also, as for last week, when someone mentioned that the rewards look set up for the wins (the men not going to the spa or the photo shoot) seemed to happen again today, yes the fish and chips were "low brow" and not fine dining (although, I have eaten at some high end places and they do a fish and chips, but it is more gourmet, as well, the guy on TC last year won with a mac and chesse truffle dish at one point), but it seemed to be a total "boys" reward.

cherry malotte

cherry malotte

Fanatic

Posted Jul 16, 2007 @ 9:12 PM

I must be living in WTF Land too, since I thought Bonnie would be handing in that jacket before Brad. I thought we'd see Brad, Jen and Rock in the final three. If Bonnie stays longer than Julia I'll have a major bitchfit.

I don't have any doubts that Rock is a good chef. But he's also a total dickweed.

Julia - great call on the NY Strip, and none sent back - all cooked to perfection. She was the only chef that our Grrr complimented tonight and it was well deserved. I'm fearful for her from seeing the next week previews, but I don't think that she would fuck up so badly that Grrr would eliminate her during service and we know the editing monkey butts on these shows are lame. She has had a couple little meltdowns but then gets on with it.

Grrr looking fit in his paintballing clothes...yum yum!

AnarchyNow

AnarchyNow

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 16, 2007 @ 9:13 PM

Rock's refusal to help Josh out today is ultimately going to cost him the win. I thought that he was the one who had this in the bag but now I think that Julia is going to win it. She is far more deserving than any of the others.

rhys7

rhys7

Fanatic

Posted Jul 16, 2007 @ 9:14 PM

What purpose does it serve to nominate oneself to leave? Is that some kind of reverse psychology or something? I just didn't understand why Brad did that.

Also, was there some sort of punishment or retribution for the girls not checking the deliveries in properly?

Smacky55

Smacky55

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 16, 2007 @ 9:15 PM

Yay Julia. Good job with the steak.

I must say, I love Rock and I would totally go to his restaurant. Macaroni and cheese! I started to drool. I love mac and cheese, from Kraft to gourmet. He won me over tonight

cstad

cstad

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 16, 2007 @ 9:16 PM

Whoa, Jen, way to break out the bitchiness! I actually liked her last week, but now, not so much. It seems like the girls lost their "team" feel without any Melissa hate to unify them.

When GR announced Julia was the winner on the girls' side, I cheered out loud. She kicked all sorts of ass tonight during dinner service. I love it when Bonnie and Jen look down on Julia's waffle-ness and then it gets thrown back in their face.

Josh, Josh, Josh.... I love your quips, but as a chef and teammate, you are lacking.

Butterfly

Butterfly

Channel Surfer

My head. It hurts.

With the sheer idiocy of it all.

Clearly Josh can't cook.

From Grrr's Mouth to Josh's ear.

Poor, poor wasted lamb chops

I shall have my own personal moment of silence for you all.

thuganomics85

thuganomics85

Stalker

Let me get this straight. Rock actually agreed to put up Brad, over Josh? How did that happen? Rock was foaming at the mouth to get rid of him, and this was probably his best chance. I wonder what else happen, during the blue team's meet?

Personally, I thought Bonnie was worse then Brad, but I can't complain too much. This is what happens when you FUTR. If you finally step up and fall, you fall horribly. Brad seemed good at some things, but he really was fucking things up lately. I can't see him running a kitchen.

Then again, I can't really see anyone else run it, either. Rock is way too arrogant and care only about himself. Josh sucks period. Jenn has shown to be just a bitchy, as anyone else. Bonnie still screws up, too much. I would love if Juila won. Especially after tonight. But I'm still worried that her limitations will finally bite her, in the end.

Can't wait till next week. Rock cries?!! Hmmm.

isiscloud

isiscloud

Stalker

Posted Jul 16, 2007 @ 9:17 PM

When Rock said he could beat up Chef Ramsay, I could only laugh with derision. Rock, I can see your belly poking out through your t-shirt. And I've seen Ramsay's abs when he changes in his shows. So I don't think so.

Gordo is 10 years older than Rock, but Rock looks the same age and his body looks older.

Bonnie needs to go, now. She can't cook her dish, can't turn on the stove, got the wrong thing (the fish skeleton), and is just mediocre despite her "tongue for the business."

Haha, Julia got the kudos she so richely deserves. The editors are excellent. Loved when Gordo called out Jen and showed her walking around with claw hand. I don't think it's Julia going home during service. My call is Josh or Bonnie.

dradiscontact

dradiscontact

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 16, 2007 @ 9:17 PM

So, Rock's idea of leadership is stepping back, doing nothing and letting other candidates hang themselves? I wonder when that's going to come back and bite him.

AwNutz

AwNutz

Fanatic

Posted Jul 16, 2007 @ 9:20 PM

Also, was there some sort of punishment or retribution for the girls not checking the deliveries in properly?

I would think that having to unload all the product a second time was quite a punishment in and of itself.

I also loved the look of pure and utter disgust that JP gave to the guys team when they refused to help the women. Not that they should have felt it necessary to do so, as the women have never helped them. It was more the blunt smugness that is Rock that seemed to stun JP for a second.

Rock actually agreed to put up Brad, over Josh? How did that happen? Rock was foaming at the mouth to get rid of him, and this was probably his best chance.

I think he wanted him eliminated when he believed that Josh was his biggest threat. Now he sees that GR hates Josh and knows he can't cook for shit, so he's the weakest link. Rock would love a final four where Bonnie and Josh are around - he'd look to be one of the two most competent thus making it easier to get to the final two and possibly win. His overinflated ego will end up doing him in in the end.

Edited by AwNutz, Jul 16, 2007 @ 9:23 PM.

mcgjgl

mcgjgl

Posted Jul 16, 2007 @ 9:20 PM

So, Rock's idea of leadership is stepping back, doing nothing and letting other candidates hang themselves?

And the sneering. Don't forget the sneering.

tominboston

tominboston

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 16, 2007 @ 9:22 PM

Didn't GR specifically ask the other members of the blue team to help Josh? And neither did? Hence they flunked the teamwork test. By this point in the show they should know that if GR suggests that you should do something, you should do it, and anyone in any business has got to know that customer service should take priority over internal squabbling.

It was nice to see Julia get complimented, and there's nothing wrong with a good strip steak on a menu. She's got a lot of basic smarts and strong motivation to keep learning and just needs more experience with high end menus.

Rock really needs to tone down the ego. It's getting out of hand.