Le Tour est ici: Tour De France

• Please log in to reply

405 replies to this topic

Sharpie66

Sharpie66

Fanatic

Posted Jul 14, 2013 @ 10:30 AM

Sagan popping a wheelie just as the riders hit today's mountain was hilarious.

"Yeah, I know this is the last time all of you tv watchers are going to see me since I am going to fall very far behind, so here is something to remember me!"

selkie

selkie

Fanatic

Posted Jul 14, 2013 @ 10:49 AM

It was also nice to get a glimpse of Didi the Devil towards the top of the mountain. I know his health hasn't been the best in recent years, and am glad to see him there and breaking out the special yellow costume for Tour 100.

GreatGazoo

GreatGazoo

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 14, 2013 @ 3:28 PM

I find myself rooting more and more for Quintana simply because he's not a European.

I actually got rather disappointed when Froome caught him yet again, and I'm hoping that Froome wins!

Sharpie66

Sharpie66

Fanatic

Posted Jul 14, 2013 @ 6:44 PM

Another Quintana fan here! And, like Great Gazoo, I am hoping that Froome wins, but I would like to see Quintana get a stage win in the Alps as well as take home the white jersey.

CobbSalad

CobbSalad

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 15, 2013 @ 10:04 AM

At the very least I hope Quintana gets the white jersey too. He makes climbing those roads look so very easy. I guess that's what living at 10,000 feet does for you. Mountain stages in the Tour de France are always the best.

TraceyBee

TraceyBee

Fanatic

Posted Jul 15, 2013 @ 12:29 PM

Sagan popping a wheelie just as the riders hit today's mountain was hilarious.

That was awesome. 

I like to think all the sprinters in the back in the "autobus" are saying things like, "This totally sucks. I should have been a speed-skater, they don't have to climb freakin' mountains."

As always, the crowds on the mountain yesterday were insane. I enjoyed seeing Didi, I missed him last year.

Sarcastico

Sarcastico

Fanatic

Posted Jul 15, 2013 @ 1:17 PM

Why are they showing almost none of the Podiums this year?

And why is it so difficult for them to show the map with the race route?  I know they usually do it when they cut over to Phil & Paul at the beginning but I'm sure that it didn't happen yesterday (Sunday).  And unless you see it then, you're out of luck. I know I could get it online but I really like to have my race coverage all in one place, on television.  I'm old-fashioned like that. 

GreatGazoo

GreatGazoo

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 18, 2013 @ 8:23 PM

Was great to see Quintana (and Rodriguez) gain some time on Froome.

I still hope Froome wins, and it seems certain he will, but I want a closer tour and I'm liking Quintana quite a bit.

Congrats to both Riblon and van Garderen

Sharpie66

Sharpie66

Fanatic

Posted Jul 19, 2013 @ 4:17 AM

I would have been fine with van Garderan winning (USA!), but I loved that France finally got a stage win--they should, especially for the 100th year. Congrats to Riblon!

And yay for Quintana gaining a full minute on Froome and moving into third place!

Shimmergloom

Shimmergloom

Fanatic

Posted Jul 19, 2013 @ 2:16 PM

And why is it so difficult for them to show the map with the race route? 

It's really getting annoying.  Today there was 14 minutes left in the 5 1/2 hours they had allotted for time and they ended the program without showing any of the podiums, just to go into the re-run of the telecast.

Completely ridiculous.  I'm putting this squarely on NBC's shoulder's because again, I know Versus use to show a lot more and would go over time very often.  And now NBC is cutting the program with 15-20 minutes of allotted time left most of the time.

How can they not be showing the King of the Mountains podium at all, in the mountain stages?  C'mon NBC.

Sharpie66

Sharpie66

Fanatic

Posted Jul 20, 2013 @ 11:02 AM

Yay for Quintana!!! His first stage win, and he will definitely take home the polka dot jersey and, unless catastrophe happens between Versailles and Paris, the white jersey, too. I am a big fan of his now, and really hope he sticks around. (All that talk of "so and so was going to be the Next Big Thing in racing, but nothing came of it" that the commentators were saying today gets me worried!)

Oh, and they showed all of the podium awards (except for the sprinters, who were just arriving when the stage win was being presented) today, which was amusing since 3 of the 4 they showed went to Quintana.

selkie

selkie

Fanatic

Posted Jul 20, 2013 @ 6:46 PM

And Jens Voigt gets the most combative heading into Paris for a long solo breakaway attempt. It would be nice to see him go one more year as a pro since he still seems to have the legs for it.

TraceyBee

TraceyBee

Fanatic

Posted Jul 21, 2013 @ 7:36 AM

I got a little teary when Jens indicated that this probaby would be his last Tour. He's been such fun to watch over the years.

Those cows that were dressed in Tour jerseys at the finish line were hilarious. I love when the local authorities do things like that. It seemed like there wasn't quite as much field art this year, although there were some great examples. That moving sculpture of the King of the Mountains rider in a little Alpine town a couple of days ago was totally brilliant.

There have been NO sunflowers this year! How did the organizers let that happen? The peleton flying through sunflower fields is an iconic image.

Jobiska

Jobiska

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 22, 2013 @ 2:17 PM

Podium:  Froome's speech "This is a yellow jersey that will stand the test of time" or something like that.  Hmm, I wonder what he could mean by that.  

Rodriguez' kids (I presume):  adorable!  Quintana on podium--also adorable.  He and the Colombian ambassador looked like they were having quite the conversation up there!

Nice Phil-ism about the peloton looking like a worm with the food caught in the middle.

I'm hoping somebody here can help me:  In one of the, I guess you'd call them bumpers, not really promos since they aired at the ends of segments, they showed tour scenes with music; one had lyrics ending on an almost-whispered "Ready set go.  Ready set go.  Ready set go."  Can anyone tell what that music is?

Better tell me soon, since I'm 52 and at 11 years older than Jens Voigt I must be on my last legs.  I was starting to think his last name was "The oldest man in the race."

ETA:  Fast forwarded through some of our DVR'd footage and it's Sho Baraka feat. Ali.  It's the Ali part.

Edited by Jobiska, Jul 22, 2013 @ 7:47 PM.

greyhorse

greyhorse

Fanatic

Posted Jul 25, 2013 @ 5:43 AM

Can some diehard cycling fans answer the question of why the riders weren't supposed to drink or eat on one of the last climbs in the final stages?  Froome apparently was thirsty and asked his teammate (Porte?) to go back and get him some water.  They commented that the teammate was going to face a fine since you're not supposed to do that.  What exactly is the fine?  Is it monetary?  Or time?  These guys are sponsored, so a monetary fine wouldn't mean much to them.  Then again, if Porte isn't in contention to win, then a time penalty might not make much difference either, unless the riders get paid based on where they finish.

So my question is why?  And if it's against the rules, then why was the race leader allowed to do it?  I think it's rather unethical for Froome to blatantly circumvent the rule by having his teammate pick up the water.  The race organizers should fine the actual person that drank or ate, not the one that went and retrieved the food.  

TraceyBee

TraceyBee

Fanatic

Posted Jul 25, 2013 @ 12:33 PM

If I'm understanding that rule correctly, it's not that they aren't allowed to eat or drink, it's that they can't get more water/food from their team car. They can consume what they already have on board.

Froome explained later that their reason for doing it then was that the team car had had some kind of mechanical trouble that caused it to be away from the peleton during the last period of time that they could legally get water. I believe Sky was assessed a time penalty of some seconds, but I don't know if it was a penalty against the entire team or just against Porte or Porte and Froome.