Chelsea Lately

• Please log in to reply

1096 replies to this topic

Jasonbingo

Jasonbingo

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 6, 2007 @ 4:25 PM

E! has tapped Comedienne Chelsea Handler to host a new late night comedy show called Chelsea Lately. The show, set to debut in July, will feature Handlerís take on pop culture, breaking news, and entertainment gossip, while also including celebrity interviews, viewer call-ins, and field shoots.

"Chelsea brings her unique wit and perspective on pop culture that is a perfect fit for E! and we know viewers will welcome the chance to get a daily dose of her new show this summer," said Lisa Berger, executive vice president, programming development, E!, in a statement.

Handler is no stranger to E!, having hosted The Chelsea Handler Show on the network last year. She was also featured on her own half hour stand-up special on Comedy Central last month.

Chelsea Lately will debut on E! in July.

source
I loved The Chelsea Handler Show. I'm happy there bringing her back in some form. I'm sure sleeping with the head of E! helps also. It debuts July 16 at 11:30 pm with encores at 2:30 am.

Edited by Jasonbingo, Jul 6, 2007 @ 4:29 PM.

jo_tornblade

jo_tornblade

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 17, 2007 @ 8:27 PM

I just watched the first episode and I'm not sure if I like it. On the other hand, I'm not sure if I dislike it either.

Have you ever watched a show and wondered to yourself, "What just happened?" Well, that's how I feel about the first episode.

I think I'll give it at least a week and see how I feel about it.

ciiker123

ciiker123

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 18, 2007 @ 11:26 AM

Have you ever watched a show and wondered to yourself, "What just happened?" Well, that's how I feel about the first episode.

I really like Chelsea Handler and find her funny. However, I have felt that this concept, although better than the previous "The Chelsea Handler Show" is an improvement, there is this feel that they are trying to cram too much in to 20 something minutes. They should stick with one concept. Personally, I enjoyed the panel discussion with the different journalists, comedians and celebrities discussing current gossip. You could even catch Scott Baio looking in disbelief at his watch when Chelsea said after a few minutes, "Okay, I would like to thank my panel." I felt that the segment of Chelsea going to the Hip Hop dance class was unnecessary and nothing new and I could have done without the Leah Remini interview either with her calling Chelsea an idiot and talking about scrapbooking. Okay, we get it, you're friends, but leave this sort of thing to Ellen.

Mary Richards

Mary Richards

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 18, 2007 @ 4:28 PM

I really like Chelsea Handler as well. I agree that this format is probably not the best. It feels like an hour talk show, and yes, it is crammed into 20 minutes. I think E! really wanted to give her another shot (since The Chelsea Handler Show was not picked up) because she really is pretty damn funny. I think she excels when she does her "man-on-the-street" schtick. She does well with reg'lar folk. Specifically, when she fucks with them and plays it straight while asking really absurd questions. She seemed really, really jacked up. Maybe it was just adrenaline. And not coke. I don't like her interviews with "celebrity" folk like Steve-O. I can see that anywhere, about 50 times a day.

Jasonbingo

Jasonbingo

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 18, 2007 @ 8:44 PM

I think the show is pretty funny and so far better then the Chelsea Handler show. My favorite part is also the round table, they should make it longer. It reminds me of Red Eye. They need to do more of the on the street stuff but stop the hip hop dance skit, which wasn't funny except for the chain saw move.

greybear

greybear

Fanatic

Posted Jul 19, 2007 @ 2:18 AM

To me, the funniest Chelsea stuff was always the interviews with the old folks. I would definitely watch a half hour of that every week!

"What's your name, dear?"
"Chelsea."
"Chesty?"
"No, Chel . . . yes, Chesty!"

EduardoDinero

EduardoDinero

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 19, 2007 @ 7:35 AM

I was confused on sooooo many levels from the show last night. First of all, what exactly does Bai Ling do, and is it so unbelievable that she is from the Moon? Is her accent so difficult to discern that she may have said "I'm on the move?"

Chelsea is not a good interviewer of people who are admittedly already fringe members of society. The Bunny Ranch people just spent a lot of time politely trying not to look at her like she is too stupid or naive. (which she is not, I am sure) She would be better off sticking with freaking out average people.

I really love Chelsea Handler. I just don't think this show has a long run. I think picking people on a discussion panel is an art, and the group that has been put together so far just have no chemistry. I felt extremely sorry for Ken Baker.

MMorningstar

MMorningstar

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 19, 2007 @ 9:29 AM

I think she's pretty funny, but then I found out her boyfriend is the president of E Television, Ted Harbert. And then started to wonder...

lindseyquinn

lindseyquinn

Fanatic

Posted Jul 19, 2007 @ 4:31 PM

I was confused on sooooo many levels from the show last night. First of all, what exactly does Bai Ling do, and is it so unbelievable that she is from the Moon? Is her accent so difficult to discern that she may have said "I'm on the move?"

Bai Ling is so effing contrived. She "doesn't understand" certain phrases, then milks them for every possible sexual connotation she can.

And she did, in fact, say she's from the moon, not "on the moon."

ciiker123

ciiker123

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 20, 2007 @ 1:02 PM

Bai Ling is so effing contrived. She "doesn't understand" certain phrases, then milks them for every possible sexual connotation she can.

And she did, in fact, say she's from the moon, not "on the moon."

Bai Ling started out as a respectable actress in films like "Red Corner" and "Anna and the King" but she has become more and more dubious ever since her role in "Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith" was edited out reportedly by George Lucas because of her posing for Playboy and affiliating herself with the movie. She plays up the sexualized image stereotype of the Asian woman, acting clueless because of the language barrier but like another poster had said she is being contrived because she will milk misnomers for a double entendre (eg. "I am Bai...(Bi)..." She actually worked well with Chelsea IMO and I think Victoria Jackson and the other guy were left speechless and confused.

Edited by ciiker123, Jul 20, 2007 @ 1:03 PM.

lindseyquinn

lindseyquinn

Fanatic

Posted Jul 20, 2007 @ 3:16 PM

What was up with Victoria Jackson, by the way? Is she, um ... okay? Too many headstands, maybe?

greybear

greybear

Fanatic

Posted Jul 27, 2007 @ 12:36 PM

This format has ... moments ... but it's not all that funny or interesting for me. I'm not sure what would work best for her comedy [except those interviews in the retirement home, which are pants-pissing hilarious!], but this talk-show setup ain't it.

StaceyRosie

StaceyRosie

Fanatic

Posted Jul 27, 2007 @ 12:42 PM

I think she's pretty funny, but then I found out her boyfriend is the president of E Television, Ted Harbert. And then started to wonder...

Now that is an interesting tidbit of info.

Jasonbingo

Jasonbingo

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 27, 2007 @ 8:29 PM

The booker needs to get better comediennes. The last two have sucked. Chelsea doesn't seem to like doing the round table. It was rude that she bascily admitted she didn't read the book to the lady pimp last night.

jo_tornblade

jo_tornblade

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 28, 2007 @ 4:09 AM

Okay, I've watched this show for two weeks and decided that I mostly like it. I think that it would be a better show if they increased the time for the panel and dropped the interviews. It's not that I think that Chelsea is a bad interviewer, it's just that I'm not interested in the people she interviews (Obscure reference no one will get: The interviewees remind me of Martin Sergent's old show, "Unscrewed"). I liked the li'l Brittany interview and can't remember any of the others.

I got a kick out of tonight's episode when Brigitte Nielsen expressed shock at Britney Spears dog pooping on an expensive dress at the OK photo shoot. Brigitte looked better than the last time I saw her on TV. Maybe her rehab stint "took" .

Besides the panel, I do enjoy most of the skits. So if the show just stuck to those two elements I think it would be a huge improvement.

Sapienta

Sapienta

Fanatic

Posted Jul 30, 2007 @ 10:29 AM

It's weird that I get that Chelsea's schtick is to talk shit about people, but somehow, she's not pulling it off for me. It comes off as really mean sometimes instead of mean but funny.

flg8or

flg8or

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 30, 2007 @ 11:56 AM

The booker needs to get better comediennes.

Is there such a thing?

lindseyquinn

lindseyquinn

Fanatic

Posted Jul 30, 2007 @ 2:29 PM

It comes off as really mean sometimes instead of mean but funny.

It's especially awkward when she's condscending / mean toward her guests.

aandt

aandt

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 1, 2007 @ 9:45 AM

Besides the panel, I do enjoy most of the skits. So if the show just stuck to those two elements I think it would be a huge improvement.

Yeah, me too, but the thing is, that's what her other show consisted of, and it didn't fly.

I think she's fairly funny, they need to pare down the panel to two people, all those people tend to talk over each other, or in the case of Jody Sweetin, don't get to talk at all. Those panel members have their own agendas, they want the spotlight on themselves. Every once in awhile she'll get someone who actually has something to say without acting all "look at me!"

I'm curious about Chuy.....where the heck did she find him? What qualifies him to be her assistant, or even on this show? His schtick seems to be "look at the funny-looking little man with the potty mouth". Anyone know anything about him?

Centerfold

Centerfold

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 1, 2007 @ 10:52 PM

I liked her other show much better. The skits were good and she was very funny; she does self-deprecating humor very well.

The mean-spirited banter about celebrities isn't funny at all (to me), and, as already mentioned, this format tries to put too much into half an hour -- the panel discussion, the celebrity interview, a skit, and audience participation (which there's no point to).

I wish she had done another season of her first show, which made me laugh a lot. This show doesn't make me laugh at all.

TheLady2

TheLady2

Fanatic

Posted Aug 2, 2007 @ 8:57 AM

Maybe it's just me, but the revolving buildings in back of Chelsea make me seasick. I don't know what the purpose of having that in back of her because although I feel as if I'm on a roller coaster ride, it's hard NOT to look it. A stationary set would work for me, that's why I tune out so quickly and haven't seen a full show yet.

Looks like the old it's not what you know, but who you know.

jo_tornblade

jo_tornblade

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 4, 2007 @ 4:30 AM

I liked the interview with Janice Dickensen tonight. I think it may be the only interview that I've seen so far that Chelsea seems to have genuinely enjoyed doing.

Also, did Janice's voice remind anyone else of Helen Shaver's voice?

Zascha

Zascha

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 6, 2007 @ 7:32 AM

I really like Chelsea's humor a lot but agree with most others here. Something really needs to go, they have way too much crap packed into such a short show and it's disconcerting. I personally really enjoy the panels a lot, especially when there's someone on there that Chelsea plays off of well. I get a kick out of the complete randomness of some of the guests. Barry Williams (who was really enjoyable actually), Jodi Sweetin, Brigitte Neilson, I really like it. It's too short though, they either need to get rid of it or extend it but the abruptness of it is weird. Having said that, they really need to get rid of the blond chick editor from OK magazine, or whichever tab she is from, she just adds nothing and has no sense of humor at all as far as I can tell.

They need to get rid of audience participation, there's no time for that crap and it's not usually funny. I also don't care for the interviews and agree with the poster above who said it's uncomfortable when she is rude to the guests to their faces. I just got around to watching the episode with Corey Feldman and his wife and it was pretty uncomfortable to watch. Don't get me wrong, there is much to laugh at about Corey and his wife but blatantly rude to people's faces is weird in an interview setting. I think it's funnier in the panel setting, it's like talking behind their backs, which is always more fun hee.

Chelsea shines especially with the senior citizens, absolutely hilarious and her dry, deadpan wit with with them is fantastic.

All in all, I hope she can get one of these shows right, because I find her to be really funny and there's a good show in all this mess somewhere.

Also, I think this was the first time I've ever seen Brigitte Neilson sober, it was shocking. She was almost downright classy!

NiteOwl08

NiteOwl08

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 8, 2007 @ 2:09 PM

She looks a lot like Elizabeth Shue to me - including the impressive sweater meat...

Jasonbingo

Jasonbingo

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 10, 2007 @ 1:06 AM

Maybe they should make an hour. The first hour can just be the round table/audience questions. Second hour guest and sketches.

Peeti

Peeti

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 10, 2007 @ 8:50 AM

I love this show and I think it should be an hour long. She is so damn funny to me! And, she is beautiful!

TVtater

TVtater

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 10, 2007 @ 10:43 PM

Love the round table discussions...and you can actually hear the guests speak, unlike some other (cough..view) show.

jo_tornblade

jo_tornblade

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 10, 2007 @ 11:58 PM

True, and when she accidently cuts someone off she apologizes and asks the person on the panel to finish what they were saying unlike that other (::cough:: - the view) show.

I've enjoyed this week better than last week. I don't know if something's changed or if I've just gotten used to the format.

Zascha

Zascha

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 11, 2007 @ 10:08 PM

I agree, the show seemed more enjoyable this week, especially the last few episodes of the week didn't feel so rushed. Love Chuy but I found out I love to watch Chuy dance even more. Lonnie Love is a good panelist and always cracks me up. Hopefully the show is finding it's feet and will work the kinks out, because I love Chelsea's humor.

Gardel

Gardel

Fanatic

Posted Aug 15, 2007 @ 10:07 PM

How long do you reckon this show will be on? I love Chelsea but when The Chelsea Handler Show finally seemed to find its feet, it was replaced by this. I hope they give her more time to work this project and refine it because I agree that it already seems more enjoyable lately, so it must be on its way to greatness!

Love the round table discussions...and you can actually hear the guests speak, unlike some other (cough..view) show.

They should try to emulate The View, minus the co-hosts shouting over each other. Give it a full hour, get permanent co-hosts - preferably Joel Mchale, Kathy Griffin and Debra Wilson! - and discuss all the "Hollywood hot topics". If they must have guests coming over to plug in their projects, he/she should be interviewed by them all, just like The View women all get to sit down with their visitors.

I have to say that the interviews are my least favorite part as well. The 'who would rather sleep with?' game is already getting tired, though I did like seeing Bret Michaels play it.

Edited by Gardel, Aug 15, 2007 @ 10:09 PM.