Donna Noble: Supertemp!

• Please log in to reply

321 replies to this topic

Caffeine Junkie

Caffeine Junkie

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 3, 2007 @ 7:25 PM

It's been officially announced that Catherine Tate will be the new 4th series companion, reprising her role of Donna Noble.

As a slightly older, gobby redhead myself, I'm delighted that my kind are now being represented in the Whoniverse! I know Donna wasn't to everyone's taste but I'm hoping we get a cross between the harridan at the start of the ep and the woman who wanted to "walk in the dust" by the end.

And I like Catherine Tate. I think she's very capable of giving a measured, layered performance, beyond the comedy characters she's famous for.

ScarlettLynn

ScarlettLynn

Fanatic

Posted Jul 3, 2007 @ 7:29 PM

That's wonderful. I just re-watched "The Runaway Bride" last night. (CBC re-aired it here.) And I really loved her... always slapping the Doctor and she was really funny but also had some really sad, sweet, quiet moments. That should be a blast!

purplebubbles

purplebubbles

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 3, 2007 @ 7:46 PM

OMG CATHERINE TATE!!!!!! DONNA NOBLE!!!! FTW!!!!

/insane fangirl.

Sorry.

Why isn't it December yet?!? Why?!

Edited by purplebubbles, Jul 3, 2007 @ 7:49 PM.

DreamerM

DreamerM

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 3, 2007 @ 8:14 PM

Cathrine Tate! At last! a FUNNY COMPANION!

Just what we need. We need someone silly to counteract the Doc's emo. Yay!

The Doctor always gets to be the funny one. Come on guys, give Tate funny stuff to do, come on...

Edited by DreamerM, Jul 3, 2007 @ 8:15 PM.

Cygnia

Cygnia

Fanatic

Posted Jul 3, 2007 @ 8:24 PM

I'm already looking forward to the first time Donna and Martha clash about something. I'm hoping for high levels of quality snark here from the two of them.

(And then they can turn on Ten and tell him to "SHUT UP!" at the same time when he tries to cut in)

ETA: And if the two of them have to team up to save Ten? Oh, the comedy (of errors) is just gonna write itself!

Edited by Cygnia, Jul 3, 2007 @ 8:51 PM.

Ivriniel

Ivriniel

Fanatic

Posted Jul 3, 2007 @ 9:24 PM

know Donna wasn't to everyone's taste but I'm hoping we get a cross between the harridan at the start of the ep and the woman who wanted to "walk in the dust" by the end.

That's for sure. ;)

arizonamyrie

arizonamyrie

Stalker

Posted Jul 3, 2007 @ 10:11 PM

Squeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I saw the announcement on the Beeb and just rewatched TRB - she is outstanding in that, and I cannot wait for S4.

Cygnia - I too can see that happening.

Donna: Who's she? Another one of your space whores?
Martha: Oy! I'll have you know I saved the world!
Donna: Really? When!
Ten: Ladies!
Donna/Martha: Oy!

FriarFabulous

FriarFabulous

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 3, 2007 @ 11:28 PM

After mulling over it for a little bit, I am REALLY excited! At first I was a bit apprehensive, but I've realized that Donna will bring a nice bit of funny and smackdown and "Get Over Yourself!" to the TARDIS. I can just imagine the Doctor trying to pull some ridiculous thing over her and Donna just smacking him across the face.

Pleasepleaseplease let her meet the Daleks. "Oy, Dalek! Shut it!"

Ginn

Ginn

Fanatic

Posted Jul 4, 2007 @ 12:08 AM

I got my wish for a middle-aged, female, and distinctly unimpressed companion, but why Donna? She kind of went through the companion arc in "The Runaway Bride"; why bring her back when there have to be tons of fantastic actresses of that age in Britain?

Anyway, what's done is done. I hope she smacks Ten. And possibly some aliens. And never, ever, falls in love with the Doctor.

Eugenia

Eugenia

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 4, 2007 @ 1:05 AM

I've realized that Donna will bring a nice bit of funny and smackdown and "Get Over Yourself!" to the TARDIS.

Yay! Although, I do hope that the character change flows primarily this way (Donna bringing levity and a sense of perspective to the Doctor), rather than the opposite (Donna getting dragged down in the emo-ness and grief that is Ten). Of course, any interaction will change both parties in some way, but I liked the fact that in TRB, she actively kept Ten from getting too dark/genocidal, and I'd like to think that in S4, events won't conspire to drag her down into emo-ness, too. (RTD does seem to have a nasty habit of torturing his characters with as much grief as he can manage, and I'd like to see Donna not too fundamentally changed by her adventures.)

Limber

Limber

Fanatic

Posted Jul 4, 2007 @ 2:09 AM

Whoa! That is completely out of left field, and despite an initial negative reaction -- I'm beginning to see how this could be unbelievably awesome. Hopefully no Noble family to worry about (they were a bit crap), and lots of Donna taking the Doctor down a peg.

It would've been hard to shake the romantic vibe if Ten had pulled another young woman/young man aboard, but Donna? No worries, really, and not because Catherine's not attractive -- it's just been established that Donna finds the Doctor insanely alien, so I'd never expect it.

I rewatched TRB a few weeks ago, and absolutely cracked up at all the "Martian" stuff. It's just so offhand, and the Doctor half takes it in his stride, half irritated.

Hurrah!

ShunnedforLife

ShunnedforLife

Fanatic

Posted Jul 4, 2007 @ 2:34 AM

Oh my, are you SERIOUS? I watched the Christmas Special with her and at the end I was like "Why no more Donna?" so this is GREAT news! Now I can't wait for the new season even more!

Donna: Who's she? Another one of your space whores?
Martha: Oy! I'll have you know I saved the world!
Donna: Really? When!
Ten: Ladies!
Donna/Martha: Oy!

I can see this happening with Donna missing another hint of alien invasion due to partying.

ceindreadh

ceindreadh

Fanatic

Posted Jul 4, 2007 @ 2:44 AM

Oh dear God, no.
(bangs head against desk)

Catherine Tate, okay, I've only ever seen bits of her show - not particularly funny IMO - and I couldn't stand Donna.

(sighs) Just when I thought the series had hit its stride with Martha and the Doctor, they take away Martha (for half of S4) and bring back Donna. I suppose it could be worse, it could be Rose, but all I can think about from the Runaway Bride ep is how Donna was all pushing her boyfriend for a marriage which he only went through to keep up with his plan. And then I start thinking what if she (like her two predecessors) falls for the Doctor and starts picking out china patterns (whether he likes it or not) and I'm just no...please, no.

beakermuppet

beakermuppet

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 4, 2007 @ 4:02 AM

As long as she gets to say Bite Me, Alien Boy again like she did in the Comic Relief sketch, I will be happy.

Tinted

Tinted

Fanatic

Posted Jul 4, 2007 @ 4:14 AM

OMG! That is so awesome! I officially cannot wait for Season Four now. Smackdowns and non-romances will rise! :D

March301

March301

Fanatic

Posted Jul 4, 2007 @ 8:44 AM

I rewatched TRB a few weeks ago, and absolutely cracked up at all the "Martian" stuff. It's just so offhand, and the Doctor half takes it in his stride, half irritated.

Ten's face when he mutters, "I'm not... I'm not... I'm not from Mars" makes me laugh every time.

I am starting to see the upshot. As someone else (on I think LJ, but possibly here, said:)
EXTERMINATE!
Am I bovvered?

;)

Tinted

Tinted

Fanatic

Posted Jul 4, 2007 @ 9:25 AM

After I got the 'This is going to be bloody awesome!' out of the way, I'm wondering how on earth they're going to get her back without it looking contrived. But still, I really can't wait.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Jul 4, 2007 @ 10:04 AM

Smackdowns and non-romances could be awesome but again., I am not amused with this choice.

KatherineO

KatherineO

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 4, 2007 @ 10:23 AM

Oooh, can they go back and visit Shakespeare (I know I'm in the minority, but I *loved* TSC; I suppose it's my actor nerd showing)? Mostly so we can see what Ten does to piss off Elizabeth, but also because the idea of Donna meeting Shakespeare (and dealing with 16th century plumbing, natch) cracks me up, and for the uber!meta! involved (I love the DT/CT Comic Relief sketch to bits. Especially the "*desk slam* Bite me, alien boi!").

As for how she comes back, I hope she encounters the Doctor by accident in a traditional "Shit goes wild in modern day London", is all "Oi, not you again, Martian!", but then and the Doctor save the world or what not, and this time she joins the TARDIS crew at the end.

The more I think about Donna as Companion, the more excited I get. Squee!

FriarFabulous

FriarFabulous

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 4, 2007 @ 11:07 AM

I read somewhere where a person said that Donna is like the new Tegan, which I can really see. Maybe she randomly wanders aboard while her aunt is driving her to the airport? ;-)

Bruce Stewart

Bruce Stewart

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 4, 2007 @ 11:18 AM

I liked TRB and liked her in it, but I don't know about a full series.
I'm wondering if this is a whole fake-out to who is really going to be the S4 companion?

Somebody posted this in the DigitalSpy forum.

BrandyAlexander

BrandyAlexander

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 4, 2007 @ 11:18 AM

Heh maybe its Donna that pisses off Queen Elisabeth I. The Doctor gets daubed with the guilty brush by association.

If Catherine Tate was a smokescreen for a different companion I think they would find it very hard to keep that up. People in Cardiff post pictures up any day there is shooting. To have a secret companion shooting from August onwards it would be impossible for no leaks to happen. It would be interesting if this was the case but for the moment I will take it at face value and look forward to her return.

Edited by BrandyAlexander, Jul 4, 2007 @ 11:21 AM.

Misreall

Misreall

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 4, 2007 @ 12:32 PM

God, please let this just be a rumour. 13 episodes of a stunt companion is 12 too many.

ceindreadh

ceindreadh

Fanatic

Posted Jul 4, 2007 @ 1:13 PM

Okay, I've had a chance to think about it and I'm going to slightly retract my initial reaction...at least until I have another chance to watch Runaway Bride.
I'll admit that it didn't really hold my attention all that much the first time around, although the heavy Christmas dinner/booze/missing the first 10 minutes due to being asleep on the couch, might have coloured my opinions toward it somewhat.

So I'll rewatch it and see if the haze of sobriety makes any difference. <g>

(edited to add, it could be worse, they could be bringing back Rose)

Edited by ceindreadh, Jul 4, 2007 @ 1:14 PM.

Ivriniel

Ivriniel

Fanatic

Posted Jul 4, 2007 @ 1:32 PM

Couldn't we keep Martha and send Donna to Torchwood instead? If anyone deserves to bear the brunt of a Donna tantrum, it's Owen. ;)

Cygnia

Cygnia

Fanatic

Posted Jul 4, 2007 @ 1:55 PM

WEEVIL: *whimpers*
GWEN: What's wrong with them?
DONNA: Oy! I'm talking here!
WEEVIL: *whine!!!*

purplebubbles

purplebubbles

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 4, 2007 @ 3:41 PM

I just want her to smack Ten, lots and lots and lots, in return for his assholishness towards Martha in Season 3. I was disappointed he got a kiss on the cheek in the finale, I wanted Martha to sock him one! So if Rose was there to save the Doctor from Time War Angst, and Martha to save him from Rose Angst... oh heck, Donna could be there to smack him about, yay! And be funny and have lots of snark with Martha. They are going to make an Team of Awesome. I'd really like to see Ten whine on about Rose in front of those two!

Oh, I'm just hopeless. I [heart] Catherine Tate. But I'm really looking forward to a more light hearted Season 4. After all the Rose angst and the Master dying in Season 3, I feel we as viewers really deserve a break. I'd like to start and finish a season without having to bawl my eyes out at the end every. single. time.

Edited by purplebubbles, Jul 4, 2007 @ 3:43 PM.

arizonamyrie

arizonamyrie

Stalker

Posted Jul 4, 2007 @ 8:35 PM

I loved Donna! I really think that she will be a welcome balance after Rose and Martha. Although, I'd love to see her on Torchwood as well, especially if she could take down Owen.

Ivriniel

Ivriniel

Fanatic

Posted Jul 4, 2007 @ 8:50 PM

Although, I'd love to see her on Torchwood as well, especially if she could take down Owen.

I have a feeling you could sell tickets to that. :D

Cosanostra

Cosanostra

Fanatic

Posted Jul 5, 2007 @ 5:37 AM

Like a few people have already said, I'm excited at the prospect of a companion with comic chops – I’m hoping for some excellent banter between her and the Doctor. Not just sniping at each other, but also some sense of comic collaboration/flights of fancy.

But I do want her to have a chance to show a more serious side to the character, providing a grounding influence for the Doctor…but also getting something out of the experience herself.