Wish Lists: You Know What Would Be Great?

• Please log in to reply

419 replies to this topic

Turkish

Turkish

Stalker

Posted May 31, 2013 @ 10:21 AM

I think the problem is that this show (and others, like American Idol, etc.) has decided that the judges are a huge draw. Now that judges across the board are big names, and big "personalities," they assume that we care about them just as much, if not more, than the contestants, maybe because the judges will be there for multiple seasons (presumably) whereas contestants are generally forgotten fairly quickly unless they make it to the final rounds of the competition.

This is exactly it. I feel like all of these reality shows have become more about the judges and the contestants get lost in the shuffle. It's why I think the AI contestants of the past few years aren't selling as well as their predecessors from earlier seasons. And why nobody really cares about The Voice contestants once they are off their show. That show is really all about the judges. That is why people tune in. The same with The X Factor. And I'm sure the AI producers were real pleased with themselves this season for hiring two divas with the world's biggest egos who can't stand to be in the same room with each other. SYTYCD is the only show I watch for the dancers and I thought the show was just fine without all the celeb judges and their antics. I'm also beyond tired of Nigel.

LuckBRealz

LuckBRealz

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 3, 2013 @ 3:08 AM

I really loved the show in the beginning because I thought it was a great concept. Professionial dancers of different styles competing against each other in a variety of styles was a brilliant concept. Unfortunately, they decided to turn the show into an amateur competition. It was an obvious attempt to lure younger viewers and it resulted in a smaller audience, losing more than half its viewers. I think another reason they did it was because it is easier to criticize amateurs than it is to criticize accomplished dancers, dancers who had reached the height of their profession no less. The New York Times nailed SYTYCD in two blistering critiques during the first two seasons. I agreed with everything that was written. It basically ripped Nigel for his ridiculous criticisms as if he had any right to say those things to those particular dancers. Nigel clearly didn't like what was written. The current incarnation is bizarre. They seem to think they are launching careers. Dance careers aren't as tangible as pop singers' careers. A dancer joins a professional troupe and that is how you follow their career - you go to a performance at your local performing arts center or you go to New York where they have many dance theaters. SYTYCD seems to be saying that the goal should be to dance in music videos, be a background dancer for a pop star when they go on tour, or dance in dance movies (as if there are so many as to be a popular movie genre).

Boton

Boton

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 24, 2013 @ 9:48 AM

I am so bored this season, I find myself FFing through most of the judges' remarks and often a lot of the performances, looking for dance styles that I am interested in.  I used to love the packages shown before the individual numbers because I liked to hear the creative concept behind the dance, but I'm even bored with that:  it is going to be addiction or spurned love or some sort of period piece or one of the choreographers' acid trip vision.

What I would like to see, however, is to take a single concept, even if it is one of these hackneyed ones, and interpret it across the various dance styles.  So, take the old boy and girl fight and make up concept.  Let's us see how you interpret that in contemporary, hip hop, jive, quickstep, and jazz.  I know it wouldn't play equally well across styles (because the story of a quickstep is....two people quickstepping), but it would be interesting to see what you can do within the movement vocabulary of each style.

phoenix780

phoenix780

Fanatic

Posted Jul 24, 2013 @ 9:53 AM

I like the idea of a "theme" night, so to speak.  Give the choreographers a basic story, let's see what they do.  

If we're going to have judges with no real connection to the world of dance, I'd much rather they have some kind of contest and let a viewer sit in the chair.  I can't really respect bringing in a sportscaster, or a one-hit-wonder (thus far, anyway), even if I understand it's probably forced on them by the network.  If they gave that space to a fan, at least once, it might be nice.  And who knows, they could wind up with someone with dance knowledge.

FrogLenzen

FrogLenzen

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 24, 2013 @ 10:18 AM

I wish that Nigel would just retire to production and give up his judge's seat permanently. He used to give actual critiques of the dancers, but now we have to sit through meta speeches about defining dance genres and listen to him give excuse after excuse to justify things he said/did in previous weeks. He's becoming immensely self-aware and it's a detriment to the show. I miss the days when the worst he had to say was some crude comment about Jeanine's boobs.

I think Mary Murphy would flourish without having to worry about Nigel and his schemes. Sometimes she is so coherent that I am blown away. Let her be the head judge and give two guest spots: one SYTYCD regular (Adam, Mia, Tyce, Travis, Debbie, whoever) and one celebrity (who actually has knowledge...) and never ever ever have more than three judges.

Thirteenthjuror

Thirteenthjuror

Fanatic

Posted Jul 24, 2013 @ 1:08 PM

I think Mary Murphy would flourish without having to worry about Nigel and his schemes. Sometimes she is so coherent that I am blown away. Let her be the head judge and give two guest spots: one SYTYCD regular (Adam, Mia, Tyce, Travis, Debbie, whoever) and one celebrity (who actually has knowledge...) and never ever ever have more than three judges.

This. I think Mary should be the Len Goodman of the show. When she gives critiques she's spot on in ways to help the dancers improve. She's not posturing and grand-standing like Nigel does. Nigel needs to stick to being behind the scenes because the last 2 seasons he's really started bugging me more than usual. You would think he was Lord of the Dance. He then makes comments to these dancers (especially the H/H ones) that make me cringe and he does it over and over and over.

I don't know if I want Mia back as a permanent judge. She has the same problem with favoritism and foot in mouth disorder as well. If paula could stay sober and coherent I wouldn't mind her. She was actually useful in her guest stint. Adam often times makes it about him, so I could only deal with him in small doses. Travis, doesn't know how to be impartial, so maybe not him.  We need Sonya for choreography. She did good judging the one time I saw her in S-8 and wasn't afraid to critique the contestants without coming off condescending. I just rather she stick to choreographing.

Who's left? I've painted myself in a corner with all of my no's.

Edited by Thirteenthjuror, Jul 24, 2013 @ 1:09 PM.

OnceSane

OnceSane

Fanatic

Posted Jul 24, 2013 @ 1:32 PM

How about Debbie Allen?

Thirteenthjuror

Thirteenthjuror

Fanatic

Posted Jul 24, 2013 @ 1:38 PM

OnceSane, Debbie Allen is good in small doses as well. She brings a lot of experience to the table, so I would be all for that. She does have quick wit and offers up helpful advice and doesn't just fawn over the contestants.

crowceilidh

crowceilidh

Fanatic

Posted Jul 24, 2013 @ 2:34 PM

I loathe Debbie Allen's posturing, I can't really ever put my finger on why - something about her attitude is profoundly "I am the goddess of everything I survey, you are lucky to hear my pearly words of wisdom".  It's like she takes other's admiration of her for granted.  I want to like her, but I don't.

Mary's an okay judge, but she is talking crap a lot of the time these days (and she knows she is - that little paean to Travis last night was stupid, exp in light of how bad that routine was).

I loved lil'C as a judge, but a little of him goes a long way, one or two shows a season is enough.  I like Twitch as a judge too, but then he can't be an allstar. I like Mia's judging - she makes sense and says useful things and makes mistakes and is human.

I think Christina Applegate is a great judge.  I loathe Paula Abdul.

And Adam.  Good lord he is obsequious and self-promoting and over-emotional.

How about Luther Brown?  He is a GREAT judge.

And boy, is four judges way too many.

FrogLenzen

FrogLenzen

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 9, 2013 @ 3:17 PM

Where the hell is Sasha? I think she would be great as an AS.

Quote from Thirteenthjuror in another thread. I think Sasha should be a mandatory All-Star this year, and hopefully her involvement in the auditions (she did the choreography rounds with Marko IIRC) signals that she will make an appearance.

But while I'm in the Wish List thread, I have to say that my most wanted All-Star is Kayla. Danny, Lacey, and Blake are also among the most overdue for an All-Star appearance.

Sabra, Jeanine, and Russell are the only winners from S1-S8 who haven't appeared.

Thirteenthjuror

Thirteenthjuror

Fanatic

Posted Aug 9, 2013 @ 5:07 PM

FrogLenzen, hopefully we see some new blood this season after next week. I do realize that a lot of these dancers are actually working and can't do the show. I know last season Sasha was on tour with Madonna, so I can see why she wasn't an AS last season. My fingers are crossed that she'll be asked to do it this season since she's not currently touring. She did attend the Dizzy Feet thing, so hopefully that means something. It boggles my mind that Jeanine hasn't been on. I heard somewhere that Sabra isn't too happy with the show for some reason and that could be why she's never returned. I think Danny is with a company overseas last I heard. LACEY! This I really do not understand. Hopefully, with Beni's re-emergence to the show we'll get a Lacey one. Russell is a mystery. It's like they're trying to act like he never happened.

I saw Mary mention in an interview this week that she would love it if Dmitry would dance as an AS. I totally agree. I really want to see Dmitry dancing again. He belongs on that floor as well as in the studio!

Would also love to see Jess or Nick in a Tap routine with Aaron. He should be able to have his genre represented and danced by him with an AS. He's their first tapper in the top 10, so maybe it'll happen.

MilaNese

MilaNese

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 9, 2013 @ 6:12 PM

Would also love to see Jess or Nick in a Tap routine with Aaron. 

Jess is still "Newsieing", so I don't think he will be able to come over for a whole week to do the show. Missing one show may be doable but 8? Impossible. I would love to see Evan again, but I think he might also be in Newsies, so not likely (also he got no love while he was on the show). His brother is an excellent tap choreographer I seem to remember... one Kasprczak every now and then is not really too much to ask for, is it?

From seeing them dance on the Ellen show I also miss Jeanine, loved her in her season and my big big wish is Ryan DiLello and Chelsea Hightower. Two of my favourite dancers, but they may be engaged in something or other (she was dancing with some very much D list "stars" and may still be doing that, and he was burning the floor but I'm not really updated on their whereabouts right now).

From other SYTYCD programs around the world I would love to see Robbie and Jessie from Oz allstaring, they were both magnificent in their season and their lyrical hip hop is still my second favourite SYTYCD (worldwide) routine ever.

Thirteenthjuror

Thirteenthjuror

Fanatic

Posted Aug 9, 2013 @ 7:08 PM

DWTS seems to be fazing Chelsea out of the show in favor of the very bland Lindsay and annoying Witney. If she's not in the line up this season, then I don't think she'll be back. I knew Jess was doing "Newsies" it was just me wishng and hoping. I've seen tweets from Nick to Aaron suggesting he would love to do it.

Ryan has been doing one of those foreign DWTS type shows that gets raunchy. He won one season and had a controversy another where his partner had to withdraw. I don't know if it's back in production yet or not for him to be able to do this show. Nigel and Co. didn't even acknowledge his presence when he was an AS before. Ryan is an excellent partner, so I would love to see him back.

allspice

allspice

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 10, 2013 @ 12:45 AM

Wasn't Russell attending college somewhere on the East Coast? I seem to recall he only recently graduated. Maybe he was busy with school so they didn't ask him. Or maybe they just prefer Twitch for HH.

By the way, Russell was (is?) shooting a film with Witney, Chehon, S6 Brandon, and maybe a few other SYTYCD alums down in Panama. Good to see that Che and Wit have got other gigs so soon after their season. In fact, as much as I'd like to see some dancers come back as All-Stars, I think it's even better to hear that they are doing things outside SYTYCD.

breazy

breazy

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 10, 2013 @ 3:05 PM

Assuming they can't bring back the elimination episodes, I wish they would do the eliminations off-screen. Having the losers in the performance eps is such a downer, and announcing the eliminations at the end leaves the show on a negative note.

In previous seasons I often skipped the elimination eps because I always like all the dancers and it pains me to see kids get their hearts broken. But at least with those episodes, there was some suspense. In the current format the judges' choices are obvious from the beginning, and there's barely even a pretense that dancing for your life or any of the show's other performances have any bearing on who goes home.

Having a dead man walking perform throughout brings down the whole episode. This past week I could not stop watching Alan and Malece's poor sad faces the whole time. I say announce the eliminations at the opening of the show, give the cut contestants their flowers and goodbye montages and then launch the rest of the show with the remaining contestants.

Or, my second choice, if off-screen cuts wouldn't work for some reason: do the whole show as usual and save the announcement of the bottom three and eliminations until the last 10 minutes. The pall of eliminations would still loom over the episode, but at least it wouldn't loom over particular contestants, and it would be easier to maintain at least the pretense that the results are still up in the air. The judges could go off during the last commercial break to vote. 

anothermi

anothermi

Fanatic

Posted Aug 19, 2013 @ 3:55 PM

The brief discussion in the episode thread about non-story dances got me thinking about the trend (for years now) of the choreographer stating what each dance is "about".  I much preferred when they didn't do that, or only gave a general description of what the dance was about.  I know that there was a lot more to discuss about the dances because we, the audience, got to utilize OUR imaginations when watching the dancers. The fact that we will not all see the same thing becomes interesting/stimulating.  Now, we have been told what we are going to see, so there is not much else to discuss except how well we think the dancers did. Given that this is a reality TV show, most viewers won't have much expertise about dance technique (classical or "street") so it really limits our engagement with the show.  

I think what the producers have done by letting the choreographers tell us the "story" of the dance (or requiring them to) has resulted in viewers becoming more and more disengaged.  Nothing to discuss except useless judging and personalities. I just don't know if they can turn that trend around. I really miss those discussions where us viewers got to exercise our own imaginations. 

phoenix780

phoenix780

Fanatic

Posted Aug 21, 2013 @ 11:49 AM

I think it shows a spectacular lack of faith in the choreographers and contestants that the meaning behind their movements is constantly described with words, in detail, before the piece.  For me part of the point of dance is that movement can communicate things and move the viewer.  Why doesn't the show trust that to be a possibility?

Totally random thought, but when Nigel insisted that we don't vote people off this show it made me want to see a format tweak.  I'd be down for it just to be a performance showcase on a weekly basis with no prize.  But to retain the game show element...if we're not voting people off, and every episode is two hours long (time to fill), and the judges control the outcome anyway for most of the season, and it's all a little awkward...why not drop eliminations entirely?  

Keep to a Top 10 or 12 or whatever throughout the season.  Tell us who the top dancers were each week.  Maybe award points, or divvy up the prize so that it's earned on a weekly basis (perhaps with some kind of higher-stakes finale for the top earners throughout the season).

Then the Jennas and MacKenzie's can stick around without fan support in a way that doesn't undermine the foundation of the show.  Nigel's claim that it's positive show- voting people through- is reinforced and highlighted.  We don't have weird eliminations at the beginning, or dancers dancing with possible elimination hanging over their heads.  And as a bonus having a constant number of dancers means less filler is needed each week.

Edited by phoenix780, Aug 21, 2013 @ 11:49 AM.

pokeystar

pokeystar

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 25, 2013 @ 2:42 PM

phoenix780,

I think you might be onto to something there. Less filler, more dancing. And maybe there's a way they could still bring in all-stars too.

With a point accumulation, they wouldn't lose the texting fees or tension, either. 

And we'd lose the death solos, as a bonus.

Although I really enjoyed Fik-Shun's solo this week - it made me really really really want to see him do a duet with Phillip Chbeeb. I suspect Fik-Shun could keep up.

I suppose I could live with Hokuto (HOK) Konishi, as a very close second choice.

OMG. The three of them together... ye gads.

Canadian Bakin

Canadian Bakin

Fanatic

Posted Aug 25, 2013 @ 4:07 PM

I found Spencer Liff's comments on Ab interesting.  He said that when they watch the rehearsal without costumes and the packages, they try to guess what each other's pieces are about.  I find the stories an unfair distraction.  Let's face it - kids with spray guns against Romeo & Juliet (or whatever disease dance of the week).  I really don't like it when the dances seem contrived to get tears and votes.  In spite of myself, I feel moved sometimes, but then I wish I had just been allowed to be moved by the dance, not by the story told beforehand.

Pache

Pache

Fanatic

Posted Sep 11, 2013 @ 2:37 PM

I'm bringing this over from the Winners thread

They need to find other ways for people to vote and eliminate phone calling. Someone on YouTube was trying to pass off Amy's number as Jasmine's :(

This could be fixed easily. On The Voice when you call the number the message is Thank you for calling for (name of singer).  On SYTYCD you get a standard Thank you for calling for dancer number whatever, which is great if you are absolutely sure what number the person you like is, but if you have forgotten and don't have the show on DVR then you have to rely on the Internet for the proper number.  It can't cost that much to put the name with the right number, so if someone calls the wrong number they can go oops and find the right number.  I also wish that SYTYCD would limit the number of calls per performer per phone number.  It just seems more fair.

geeweeze

geeweeze

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 11, 2013 @ 2:57 PM

I also wish that SYTYCD would limit the number of calls per performer per phone number.  It just seems more fair.

Yes I was thinking this recently too! It's A LOT of pressure to feel like you have to vote like 1000+ times  (yes, I have done that; yes I have done that this season). I think I was watching America's Got Talent (by accident, channel surfing) and the host mentioned the votes were limited to 20. SYTYCD could do this too, no? Maybe limit votes to 50 or 100, which still seems like plenty but it's at least a cap. I wonder why they don't. More voting generates more buzz?

Edited by geeweeze, Sep 11, 2013 @ 2:57 PM.

Thirteenthjuror

Thirteenthjuror

Fanatic

Posted Sep 11, 2013 @ 3:39 PM

There used to be a limit on the number of votes with sytcd. They just started with all of this super vote mess. Apps, texts, facebooking. It's just too much. I don't understand the whole not announcing the name of the dancer you're calling for either. DWTS lets you know as well. It just leaves room for too much error. Especially, when you have someone with as many followers as Austin Mahone tweeting please vote for Jasmine, but using an old picture with her week 2 number on it. He did that for several weeks. I know one of the times it was Hayley that had the number he thought was Jasmine's. I think another way to eliminate the confusion is to just give them the same number throughout their whole time like DWTS. That would just solve it all.

anothermi

anothermi

Fanatic

Posted Sep 11, 2013 @ 11:02 PM

There used to be a limit on the number of votes with sytcd. They just started with all of this super vote mess. Apps, texts, facebooking.

I don't remember there ever being a "limit" on the number of votes, in fact in the earlier seasons Cat used to announce how many millions of votes had been cast (when it was increasing of course, all that stopped when numbers started decreasing). There was a disclaimer (still is I think) that they reserve the right to disqualify votes that they deemed illegitimate (meaning not dialled by a human). That was the only limitation.  

IIRC, SYTYCD was one of the later adopters of social media and electronic forms of voting, but, because their demographic of voting viewers would be more likely to use those methods, they probably should have done it a lot earlier.  

Having said that, I completely agree that there should be a limit.  It's not like they announce the number of votes for individual contestants.  They announced percentages only, the very 1st season and quit that starting Season 2.  Unless there is some kind of commercial tie-in that we are unaware of I don't understand why they stick with unlimited voting? Heck, if they limited the number of times, they could extend the voting period which might actually increase the overall numbers. Youngsters could vote in the morning instead of staying up late (with or without parental permission).

Edited by anothermi, Sep 11, 2013 @ 11:28 PM.

realdancemom

realdancemom

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 12, 2013 @ 1:05 PM

I think there should be a limit too.  I can't compete with the tween votes.  However, I also know that if they really wanted to do it, they can create multiple e-mails and send extra votes that way.  At least, that takes some effort then just calling a phone number a bunch of times.

Thirteenthjuror

Thirteenthjuror

Fanatic

Posted Sep 12, 2013 @ 5:04 PM

I don't remember there ever being a "limit" on the number of votes, in fact in the earlier seasons Cat used to announce how many millions of votes had been cast (when it was increasing of course, all that stopped when numbers started decreasing)

I stand corrected. I don't know why I thought there used to be a limit on this show. Maybe it was wishful thinking. Having said that; there definitely needs to be one implemented.Maybe I was confusing it with DWTS limit on call in votes. They do still have that I think?

rollerblade

rollerblade

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 13, 2013 @ 11:57 AM

If they want to keep the judges saves (and I'm okay with having saves until Top 10 at the very latest), I'd love for it to be one save per contestant. Kinda like Idol. Maybe two saves if folks are unlucky and drew any combination of Quickstep/Disco/Jive/Bollywood in the first couple weeks. If the dances are indeed random.

Trying to minimize the luck factor, but unfortunately luck will still play a major role in this competition. Any given day, one team gets Outta Your Mind, while another team gets a visit to their dentists.

crowceilidh

crowceilidh

Fanatic

Posted Sep 13, 2013 @ 4:11 PM

I wish they'd keep everybody in the bottom 10 through to the top ten.  For example, if Jess King had not been injured, Comfort would have been cut before top 10 and would never have been an AS and it seems clear to me that she's one of the best allstars there is - her unexpected save was the making of her -- how many other dancers would have this experience (plus gain the serious audition reel they deserve for making it to top 20) of learning enough and improving enough if the set-up was changed to this.  I think if the votes were cumulative, not only would we really see the dancers profiting by their experience, but also as audience we would be more involved.  Can you imagine the suspense and excitement of the top 10 show when they cut the whole bottom 10?  Especially if they ranked the bottom 10 every show, so everyone could see the changes and react to them. And then we wouldn't need so much frakkin judge time-filler nonsense.  It's a win-win all around. 

Edited by crowceilidh, Sep 13, 2013 @ 4:18 PM.

reinoe

reinoe

Fanatic

Posted Sep 13, 2013 @ 11:37 PM

Anything that removes judges and choreographers from the equation is an improvement.  Yes the judges saved Danny Tidwell repeatedly in season 3, but for every Danny there's a Jenna.

crowceilidh

crowceilidh

Fanatic

Posted Sep 13, 2013 @ 11:44 PM

Well, they wouldn't have to "save" anyone if they followed my plan for the show (apologies to anyone in the Pssst Interns thread who already suggested this, I have read it all in the past, and I know lots of people have suggested very similar strategies to save the show from its silly excesses)..

Canadian Bakin

Canadian Bakin

Fanatic

Posted Sep 14, 2013 @ 10:57 AM

Anything that removes judges and choreographers from the equation is an improvement.  Yes the judges saved Danny Tidwell repeatedly in season 3, but for every Danny there's a Jenna.

Unfortunately for the viewers, there are far more Jennas than Dannys.  I recall Ryan repeatedly being saved in her season and Nigel even wondering why she wasn't connecting with viewers.  I *think* that may have happened with Alex last year, too, but I could be wrong on her.  I'm sure there are others, but so many blend together after the years.

Even if they went back to voters only after top ten like they used to, that would be some consolation and there's a precedent for it.